Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Given back for Ireland

• 16-01-2013 1:52pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Link

Not sure if this has been posted
    Shay Given has performed a backflip on his decision to retire from international football, making himself available again for the Republic of Ireland.

PA Photos
    Given says his Villa disappointment is behind the decision
    Given, 36, admits the disappointment of losing his position as first choice goalkeeper at Aston Villa has played a significant role in his choice to return to the Ireland squad after stepping down following the Euro 2012 disappointment.

The goalkeeper, who has won 125 caps, has held negotiations with Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni and wants to be considered for a return to the squad at the earliest possible opportunity.

"We spoke on the phone and I explained why I quit in August and why I am now willing to return," Given said. "During a lengthy chat, I told Giovanni that I retired because I wanted to concentrate on my club career.

"I chose to call time on it with a heavy heart but I knew that it was something I had to do for the sake of my club football.

"I had turned 36 in April and in the modern game there are not too many playing for club and country at that stage of life."

Given has not appeared for Villa in a Premier League game since August, after losing his place to Brad Guzan, and his lack of football has forced the change of heart.

"Obviously, since I made that call, things have not gone as well on the club front as I would have liked or expected, and I haven't started a Premier League game since our second fixture of the season," he said. "I knew I was going to miss international football and I suppose that was made worse by the fact that I wasn't playing regularly for Villa.

"So, I began to think about whether I had been too hasty in my choice and started to wonder whether I should reverse it. That's why I felt I had to speak to Giovanni, to tell him how I was feeling and discuss a possible return."

I think this is a bad move for all (even more so if he becomes no 1 again). Only coming back because he cant get a game for Villa. Bad form

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If he can't get a game for Villa then he shouldn't be getting a game for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Great. Now we have 2 number 2 keper vying for number 1 spot for Ireland.

Given was a great keeper, but he also has impeded new keepers coming though and International level by playing every single firnedly there has been. Is that his fault or the managers for choosing him though?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Wonder how will Westwood feel if hes dropped now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

If he can't get a game for Villa then he shouldn't be getting a game for Ireland.

Why do you think this story is floating around? Smokescreen for someone to snap him up..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Wonder how will Westwood feel if hes dropped now?

He's probably asking the question why bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Stay gone Shay, you've served your country brilliantly :)

David Forde deserves to be number one for the games in March imo.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Shay can **** right off. The only reason he's doing this is because he can't get his game at Villa. I mean in fairness, Villa!

He served his country well but he was a liability over the past year or so, and he should be told in no uncertain terms that he's not wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The guy has served his country extremely well for a long time. He wants to come back now and is not lying about the reason why.

And still you have disrespectful posters here who say he can ---- right off.

Can you guys tell me what you have done for your country which leaves you in the position to criticise Shay Given?

Imo you guys can ---- right off!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

eagle eye wrote: »

Can you guys tell me what you have done for your country?

Paid for every one elses mistakes!

I've no problem with Given. He retired. He should stay retired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Westwood must be wondering where does this leave him. I dont understand this uturn at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

If he's better than what we've got then by all means consider him regardless of the reasons for his u-turn. We know his attitude and effort will be 100% as always has been.

Anything to improve the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Backwards step.

I dont think he should be called up but he has every right to make himself available. Plenty hummed and hawed over it in the past so its great to have someone who is willing to represent us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

The guy has served his country extremely well for a long time. He wants to come back now and is not lying about the reason why.

Can you guys tell me what you have done for your country which leaves you in the position to criticise Shay Given?

Nice to know you've never criticised a player so...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

I have done plenty for my Country. More than it has done for me. I took JFK's advice.

I have every right if I want to criticise Given or any other player or anyone who gets paid from money that I am charged to see that person do their job be it for their Country or their club!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

If the squad is picked on ability then he will still be in it, he is still one of our top 3 keepers.

Keepers can still do a excellent job at this level at that age, only got to look at the like of VDS.

Nice to know you've never criticised a player so...:rolleyes:
    I've never criticised a player who gave his all to the cause for 16 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Should stay gone. Not better than Westwood at this stage of his career, who is very unfortunate to be behind a very talented goalkeeper in Mignolet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Yeah, we should stick with the Sunderland #2.

:confused:

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Yeah, we should stick with the Sunderland #2.

:confused:

Mignolet is a much better keeper than Brad Guzan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd keep Westwood at no.1. He hasn't done anything wrong for us and will be relying on him for the future. Given may decide to retire again next year.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭bren2001

Part of me is glad to have Given back as I do not think Westwood is ready to be our no. 1. I partly blame Trap for this as Westwood should of been given some of the smaller games in the last campaign, the other fact is that he is not starting for Sunderland.

I think Given should play the more important games i.e. Sweden and away to Austria while Westwood is bled in the likes of the Faroe Islands etc. Don't think Westwood is ready to handle the pressure of the big games.

Given has served us well and only had 1 poor set of games at the Euro's.

Mignolet is a much better keeper than Brad Guzan.
    And Cech is a much better keeper than De Gea, does that mean that Turnbull is better than Lindegaard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It'll be a big slap in the face of Westwood if he is dropped to the bench despite doing very little wrong. Given wasnt exactly playing great when he retired. He hasnt played a lot since then so no reason to assume it will be any different. Hopefully Westwood keeps his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Don't think it's the right move for Ireland or Shay.

He's past his best and had been for the last year of his Ireland career.He's just opening himself and Trap up for criticism when he inevitably makes a mistake.

David Forde should be given a run seeing as he's the only keeper regularly picked in Irish squads playing first team football.

And Cech is a much better keeper than De Gea, does that mean that Turnbull is better than Lindegaard?

I'd disagree actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Still our best keeper realistically.

Westwood is in the exact same situation he is in terms of games but without the experience.

Yet, you can't help feeling that Forde or Kenny should be given a chance given they are playing for their clubs.

The decision doesn't come down to quality for me as he is most likely the best keeper.

The decision also doesn't come down to some sort of "you can sling your hook" attitude just because he is coming back.

But being an Ireland international will only get him 5 or 6 games a year and he'd need to sort out his club situation (like Westwood needs to).

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    It'll be a big slap in the face of Westwood if he is dropped to the bench despite doing very little wrong. Given wasnt exactly playing great when he retired. He hasnt played a lot since then so no reason to assume it will be any different. Hopefully Westwood keeps his place.

Westwood has done nothing to earn his place. He got it by default, has conceded 8 goals in three competitive games and can't get a look in with his club. I don't blame him but its not like he has been setting the world alight.

I guess if you are Westwood you'd be pissed off if Given took your place but he'd have little or no right to complain if a keeper who was playing regularly took it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Great servant and owes us nothing but not sure if his reasons, honest as they are, are good for the team.

Also Shay is nowhere near where he was at his peak. His form before he left was pretty poor and he was pure awful in Poland. He went from being a real strength in the team giving confidence to his defenders to a liability that made them nervous. Really should have been dropped for the Italy game.

There is not much between himself and Westwood and I would leave Westwood as No 1. If Shay is committed to Ireland then he should be able to put up with being on the bench. Others had to even when there were times that they might have been in better form (Kiely and Kenny come to mind).

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Westwood has done nothing to earn his place. He got it by default, has conceded 8 goals in three competitive games and can't get a look in with his club. I don't blame him but its not like he has been setting the world alight.

I guess if you are Westwood you'd be pissed off if Given took your place but he'd have little or no right to complain if a keeper who was playing regularly took it.

Given conceded nine in three at the Euro's and also cant get a look in. If he was playing regularly, then sure, but he isnt. As such, I see no reason for him to automatically take Westwood's spot again. The only real difference between the two now is age and expierance but Westwood isnt a rookie by any means and will be around for longer than Given. If Westwood gets dropped, it should be for someone who is actually playing, not for Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I've never criticised a player who gave his all to the cause for 16 years.

Giggs should start for Utd so

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Given conceded nine in three at the Euro's and also cant get a look in. If he was playing regularly, then sure, but he isnt. As such, I see no reason for him to automatically take Westwood's spot again. The only real difference between the two now is age and expierance but Westwood isnt a rookie by any means and will be around for longer than Given. If Westwood gets dropped, it should be for someone who is actually playing, not for Given.

Thanks for summarising my post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

You know this how?

People are giving their opinion, all be it over the top

you guys tell me what you have done for your country which leaves you in the position to criticise Shay Given?

Sorry, so every critic has to have done something for their country now? I managed to stay alive for 29 years baby!!
    you guys can ---- right off!
    nah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

When is Gilesy coming back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

O.k we have got two friendlies coming up do we not before the big one against Sweden? IMO, Westwood is not ready to be thrown into such a game without any game time into such a big match decider. You can argue Shay isn't either, with no matches except for an FA Cup game? Play Westwood for one friendly, and Given for the other leading then into the Sweden match. After that, rotate the two, and in the meantime give more time with Westwood and Shay helping each other out.

In any case, I would still pick Shay Given with Dunne than Westwood and Dunne in such a crucial match with a striker like Ibramaovich, who will be prolific, and as good as Westwood is, is he good enough to be up against Ibra, considering 0 game time and very little international experience in terms of key games. There's an awful lot of pressure generally speaking,.
    My overvall stance is we need to be focusing on nurturing a replacement for Given, and if Trapattoni had been shrewd, Kieran would have a lot more international experience... but he doesn't...

• Advertisement

if Trapattoni had been shrewd, Kieran would have a lot more international experience... but he doesn't...

If Trap had put Westwood in a couple of meaningless firendlies over the last 3 years it wouldn't much change our current situation.

Westwood's rustiness is from not playing competitive football for his club - not the odd relatively meaningless Wednesday night friendly against Oman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭bren2001

If Trap had put Westwood in a couple of meaningless firendlies over the last 3 years it wouldn't much change our current situation.

Westwood's rustiness is from not playing competitive football for his club - not the odd relatively meaningless Wednesday night friendly against Oman.

The issue isn't rustiness. Given is just as rusty as Westwood, they both have got little to no game time this season. The issue being highlighted is that Westwood doesn't have the experience of playing for Ireland to deal with the pressures associated. He would be more adapted to it if he got to play a few games in the last campaign e.g. Estonia second leg, Macedonia etc.

Certainly this campaign (should of been the last one) is to phase out the older players and bleed in the new talent i.e. Clark, Coleman, Westwood etc. The aim is not to qualify for WC2014 but to have a strong team for Euro 2016 and WC2018, but obviously we should still try. Beating Sweden is an important step in that and I would have more confidence in Given than Westwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Like I said during the summer, I just think Given is a bit of a chancer, so this really shouldn't surprise me one bit. I think it was clear to most that he wasn't near 100% fitness during the Euros and made quite a number of mistakes - iirc continued to do so for the first two games for Villa? Anyway, definitely time for the guy to move on.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

bren2001 wrote: »
    He would be more adapted to it if he got to play a few games in the last campaign e.g. Estonia second leg, Macedonia etc.

He did play against Macedonia :p Given was injured. Did pretty well too.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

No problem he changed his mind but at 36 he hasnt much time left.
    He might have 1 more qualification for a tournament in him but with the Germans and Sweden in your group it doesnt look great to qualify for Brazil. better give your current no1 the experience.

Stick with your current no1 and only call Given up when your no1 is unavailable. Holland/Van der Sar did the same thing when Van Der Sar called it quits after euro2008 and Holland was without their first 2 GK against Iceland and Norway a few months later. He did those games and that was the end of it.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    The issue isn't rustiness. Given is just as rusty as Westwood, they both have got little to no game time this season. The issue being highlighted is that Westwood doesn't have the experience of playing for Ireland to deal with the pressures associated. He would be more adapted to it if he got to play a few games in the last campaign e.g. Estonia second leg, Macedonia etc.

Certainly this campaign (should of been the last one) is to phase out the older players and bleed in the new talent i.e. Clark, Coleman, Westwood etc. The aim is not to qualify for WC2014 but to have a strong team for Euro 2016 and WC2018, but obviously we should still try. Beating Sweden is an important step in that and I would have more confidence in Given than Westwood.

The issue is rustiness.

If Westwood was playing regularly - Given would only be coming back as backup.

As things stand, Westwood isn't in any great position to stay Number one.

As you say, they are both rusty.

But a rusty and slightly past it Shay Given is better than a rusty Westwood imo.

If I were Forde and Kenny (unless he is still out for his own reasons) I'd be the most disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yeah, Westwood should have gotten more qualification games considering Shay's age, and as a measure of preparing for the future. As it stands, I would accept Given back for the next friendly and Sweden game. Hopefully we will have Dunne to line back with him. After that, bring back Westwood and play him. Onwards and upwards. I trust Given's instincts that he will be ready for the task at hand when we go to Stockholm.

Looks like Trapattoni has said thanks, but no thanks

Given not to return

godtabh wrote: »
    Looks like Trapattoni has said thanks, but no thanks

Given not to return

Fair play for Trap on at least being decisive.

I feel it is the wrong decision in so far as Given is still currently our best option and giving Westwood games at international level is a bit like sticking a band-aid on a gaping wound if he can't move alonghis club situation.

Forde should be given a real chance.

If we are going to overlook Given then it needs to be for someone playing regular football.

Very surprised by that but well done Trap. Had expected him to jump all over it so it's good to see he is thinking in the medium to long term now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Fair play for Trap on at least being decisive.

I feel it is the wrong decision in so far as Given is still currently our best option and giving Westwood games at international level is a bit like sticking a band-aid on a gaping wound if he can't move alonghis club situation.

Forde should be given a real chance.

If we are going to overlook Given then it needs to be for someone playing regular football.

Disagree - if Westwood's going to be the future no.1 and Given isn't going to be picked, then he future no.1 should be getting all the international experience he can. I know it's hard on Forde but ultimately Westwood's going to be no.1.

G.K. wrote: »
    Disagree - if Westwood's going to be the future no.1 and Given isn't going to be picked, then he future no.1 should be getting all the international experience he can. I know it's hard on Forde but ultimately Westwood's going to be no.1.

I see no reasonably justification for playing Westwood ahead of Forde - so I definitely see no reasonable justification for just assuming Westwood will be number one.

There is a 5 year age gap there so lets talk it out. Westwood will undoubtedly be in and around the scene longer but at 33 Forde could easily do two campaigns (certainly one) and Westwood's club situation may have improved by then.

I wish Westwood was playing but its been well over a year at this stage and I think throwing him in at the deep end for periodic internationals can only do so much for his sharpness.

Advertisement