Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hospital Food

• 16-01-2013 2:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

I was listening to Ray Darcy earlier and he was giving listeners opinion on hospital FoodI remember being in the Mercy for 1 week 3 years and the food was uneatableThe toast in the morning was freezing and it was like a game to guess what the dinner wasI know its hardly the hilton but it was brutalhas it changed any bit? surely they should be pushing healthier foodI heard one listener say they still give kids nuggets and chips

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Another cracking thread.
    You're fast becoming one of my favourite posters! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

I've found the food in Beaumont fine, about the same standard as a decent work canteen. Had breakfast in the Mater and the eggs were like rubber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Why is there no full stop or space between your sentences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I worked in a hospital until a few months back. The smell of the food always turned my stomach far more than the smell of anything else in the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

sfwcork wrote: »
    I was listening to Ray Darcy earlier and he was giving listeners opinion on hospital FoodI remember being in the Mercy for 1 week 3 years and the food was uneatableThe toast in the morning was freezing and it was like a game to guess what the dinner wasI know its hardly the hilton but it was brutalhas it changed any bit? surely they should be pushing healthier foodI heard one listener say they still give kids nuggets and chips

You were in hospital for three years and a week?! :eek: What was wrong with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Hospital food smells like it was made with used bandages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nippledragon

Its a joke tbh, we did a thesis on the food crisis (too much detail to go into) and found that prisoners in the UK have more spent on them per day than hospital patients had.
    Food UK budget per day, per head in prisons, in 2010 was approx £2.45, in hospitals it was £0.90. Nutrition is the most important thing for recovering in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭twistedsoul

The horse burgers where nice !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

wrote:
    Dean09
    Another cracking thread.
    You're fast becoming one of my favourite posters!

ah thanks man.Want to go for a beer sometime

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

wrote:
    enda1
    Why is there no full stop or space between your sentences?

What the going rate for Grammer police these days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I know, right! And how bout that airplane food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭WanabeOlympian

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

― Hippocrates

The food in hospitals ideally should contain the most nutritious foods available containing all the omegas, minerals and vitamins.

It may be the case if you are stuck in an Irish below standard hospital, if you can, ask one of your family to bring in a healthy dinner each day to speed up your recovery and avoid getting processed tripe on a plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I found the food lovely in hospital. When they give you a fry-up, they give you chips with it. And ice cream for dessert! Much better than the sh1te I eat at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The cocktail list is not up to much either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

What the going rate for Grammer police these days?

I wasn't giving out, I was just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Madam_X wrote: »

Sausage roll, cremated wedges and an ejaculate of red sauce.
    Sweet Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The cocktail list is not up to much either

I remember years ago staying with a french family and we were taking their grandmother into the hospital for some minor procedure, and she wanted to stop off at her wine merchants on the way because the wine you get in French hospitals is not so good. Her words.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I remember being in Galway hospital a few years back with a bad bout of Glandular Fever. They kept me in for over a week cos they said that they wouldn't let me out until my appetite had returned to normal. My appetite had returned to normal, I was bloody starving - the issue was the food they were giving me was inedible! I used to get my mates to bring me in Supermacs from across the road (I could see it out the window from my hospital bed... Tempting me... Teasing me!). Only managed to get out of there by throwing away the "food" they were giving me and pretending that I had ate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

If I was asked for a straight choice right now between hospital food and sfwcork's cooking I know which one I would choose. . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

I was only in Beaumont around August last year, I thought the food was okay. I'm a vegetarian too, which usually narrows down your options, but they always brought me a menu with a couple of veggie options on it. T'was grand sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I work in a hospital. Food is grand!

Except fish Friday :( oh and liquidised liver,
    Making me heave just thinking about it. Would rather eat my own vomit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

and liquidised liver,
    Making me heave just thinking about it.

sorry, what now?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

The toast in the morning was freezing

Ah now, how are they supposed to keep your toast warm until it reaches your bed? Seriously ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

xzanti wrote: »
    Ah now, how are they supposed to keep your toast warm until it reaches your bed? Seriously ffs.

This ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

My father wouldn't eat a morsel of hospital food when he fell ill over in Tenerife about 7 years ago.

We fed him nothing but M&M's, crisps and bananas for a whole week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Davyhal wrote: »
    I used to get my mates to bring me in Supermacs from across the road
    I think they do a killing across the road, there's a slew of resturants there now. I had to spend a week in Galway hospital and the food there was a joke. About the only thing edible in there was the jelly and ice cream.

The old folks loved it though. I gave up trying after trying to cut a piece of turkey and it just bouncing off my plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Patients tell me the food in the hospital I work in is pretty good. They're a bunch of pre-prepared meals, microwaved before serving but the lasagne is really good!

To combat the atrocity of cold toast, the ward host has a trolly with a toaster, cereals, tea or coffee on it and can make the toast at the end of the patients bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

The food is grand - your just not used to having canteen food

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'll never forget the shock of being told that a vegetarian dinner was only served every 2nd day - 10 years ago in UCHG. Hopefully their policy of starving vegetarians to near death has changed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I don't know, I had a delicious egg sambo in JCMH only last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

You were in hospital for three years and a week?! :eek: What was wrong with you?
    Food poisoning. Very bad case.

Hospital food is pish, and if you think it isn't, you need to fire your cook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

dmc17 wrote: »

That's brilliant. I would actually consider buying one of those. I'd never actually get around to buying it, but it's definitely on the list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭wishmaster200

So what if the food was s*it. you were in the hospital they looked after you as best they could and hopefully made me better, and all you can do is bitch about the food talk about being ungreatful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

So what if the food was s*it. you were in the hospital they looked after you as best they could and hopefully made me better, and all you can do is bitch about the food talk about being ungreatful

You dont think maybe there is a connection between good food and health?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

RGDATA! wrote: »

sorry, what now?

Liver put into a blender? Until its liquidised. For people who have trouble swallowing they liquidise food.

But anyway,hospitals are on a budget, they try their best to accommodate people's food needs and it really isn't that bad... After all.. A hospital is not a restaurant, neither is it a hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I worked in several hospitals and was a patient in a few too.

The food was sound. Hardly Michelin star but what do you expect? Trying to keep the food warm from the kitchen to the ward doesn't help the taste.

The main reason people think the food is shyte is because they are sick when they're eating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The tea and toast in the Mater is top notch. Worth the €700 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Food in Beaumont was spot on and I'm a fussy eater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Darcy stealing topics from Broadsheet now I see. Its a long time since there was anything original on that show now anyway.

• Advertisement

The food in the restaurant (for patients/staff/visitors/people who just walk in off the street) in the Bon Secours private hospital in Cork is excellent - I used to work near it and pop in for my lunch now and again. Probably depends on the hospital.
    Darcy stealing topics from Broadsheet now I see. Its a long time since there was anything original on that show now anyway.
    I'm not a fan by any means, but that's always the way on radio shows - anything that's topical, the print/online media usually beats them to it, but it's pretty standard to discuss it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Post Natal tea and toast ftw..

Nothing will ever taste as good as the tea and toast handed to you after you've had a baby.. Victory food.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

was in hospital for 3 days

i dunno if it was the smell of other peoples urine that turned me off the food or the operation i had
    either way it was rotten

chicken,patatos carrots and gravy
    taste like ****e , chicken was raw (i think they only killed the thing 10 mins previous)
    patatos were so hard it was like trying to eat rocks gravy was so thick(and tic) was a struggle to swollow it on its own

toast for breakfast my god burnt to a crisp dont even think you could call it toast anymore

only thing they made halfway decent was tea

but they were all very friendly so it made up for it i suppose
    thank god i had to fast for a day :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It was the portion size that got to me. In Drogheda I had an Indian smuggled in, probably not the best choice as the pungency destroyed any chance of a covert delivery. It was still preferable to eating the staff, I was quite hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I work in a hospital. Food is grand!

Would rather eat my own vomit.

Its your consistency that impresses me. You almost managed to hold it for 3 sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

It's a hospital. Not the Hilton. What the fuck did you expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Madam_X wrote: »
    I'm not a fan by any means, but that's always the way on radio shows - anything that's topical, the print/online media usually beats them to it, but it's pretty standard to discuss it.

And the thieving pixies on the Churnal.ie were claiming this like it was some sort of exclusive when Broadsheet had it days ago..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I spent 6 weeks in St. Vincents in in 2009 and found the food fine, only problem is it wasnt very seasoned but when its a hospital treating people with blood pressure and heart problems it makes sense to go easy on the salt abd butter.

Cungi wrote: »
    It's a hospital. Not the Hilton. What the fuck did you expect?
    Ah nobody's expecting haute cuisine, but seeing as it's a hospital, food that's relatively healthy wouldn't be a huge demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If the hospitals were looking for an extra revenue stream they could offer extra menu options for a charge. There would have to be strict standards put on the free food to ensure quality wasn't let slide into the abyss to encourage the pay options. It could be done in collaboration with local food establishments with some oversight to ensure healthy food.

• Advertisement
Advertisement