Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Miami

• 16-01-2013 2:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭

I plan on going on a J1 this year. None of my friends want to go due to expenses, etc. If any of you know people who are already interested, we pool together for cheeper accommodation. We could eailly manage to get together a group of 25 or more from around Ireland after having put up a facebook page about it. Smaller groups of 3/4 would want to get together since it would mean cheeper accommodation with a larger group. Everyone would get to know each other pretty fast.

All it takes is one trip to the American Embassy in Dublin and it's possible to opt out having organised it just in case. I, myself would like to go to Miami(some place other than Boston for a change) but of course am open to where ever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shinners!

Hey there!! Im in the same boat, I reeeeally want to go on a J1 this year but id prefer to know some more people going over for things like accommodation etc. Are u going through usit or go for less or organizing it yourself? I havnt a clue how to go about any of this... :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

Shinners! wrote: »
    Hey there!! Im in the same boat, I reeeeally want to go on a J1 this year but id prefer to know some more people going over for things like accommodation etc. Are u going through usit or go for less or organizing it yourself? I havnt a clue how to go about any of this... :)

I'm with goforless. You can register, then pay €39 deposit, and they'll ask u to pass on your pass port detail. They organise the interview, etc. I heard goforless were good so didn't bother looking anywhere else. What college/city are you from? Do you not really have a city preference for the J1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shinners!

oh right that sounds good! Im in college in dublin, its my last year so i really wana go away for the summer! what about u? no i dont mind at all really :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 HogieBear92

hey myself and 2 other lads from UL heading to Wildwood, NJ this summer!! Heard good things about it and that it is easy to get accomm and jobs! Also very close to the likes of NYC, Atlantic City, Philly and Washington DC so I reckon there'll be a good bit to do! :) One of the lads can drive and we're playing on renting (even buying) a car and going on road trips etc! Miami would definitely be a place we'd go to.. we were even thinking of Canada as well! haha anyways, let me know where ye end up going! I reckon anywhere in America would be good craic!

hey myself and 2 other lads from UL heading to Wildwood, NJ this summer!! Heard good things about it and that it is easy to get accomm and jobs! Also very close to the likes of NYC, Atlantic City, Philly and Washington DC so I reckon there'll be a good bit to do! :) One of the lads can drive and we're playing on renting (even buying) a car and going on road trips etc! Miami would definitely be a place we'd go to.. we were even thinking of Canada as well! haha anyways, let me know where ye end up going! I reckon anywhere in America would be good craic!

I'd like to go to Miami for sure but I'm not sure how likely I'd be to find work there, but what's attracted you to wondwood? Do you have relations there??

• Advertisement

I'd say Miami would be good craic alright but I've never heard much about J1ers going there to be honest! I had friends that went to Wildwood last year and they said they had a great time and they recommended the place to me! I know its not the big attraction like a City would be but after all it is Jersey Shore so there'll be plenty to do up and down that coast line! and like I said it is close to a lot of cities around the place so you'd get to see more than if you just went to Chicago, for example you'd probably only stay in Chicago! if you get me! Another thing was that it seems easy to get jobs in Wildwood, from what I've heard the place is flooding with em in early summer! so that was a huge attraction! And in general it just seems that it would be a cheaper place than the likes of Miami or any other big city in regards to accomm and alcohol(the two main things haha)!

Since my passport has expired, I will need to get a new one. I did hear that you need to have had a passport for more than 6 months before you can to the U.S. i DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE or not but goforless didn't seem to have a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Talts

ambzcoff92 wrote: »

hi there, im also in d exact same boat and its my v last chance to go aswel...im female 21, up 4 a laugh! did u find ppl to go wt yet? oif not plz reply :) x

Hey!! Well at the minute I'm planning on going to Chicago cus my aunt is tryin to sort out a job for me over there :)! I'm still planning on heading out on my own so it will b nice to hav a job sorted :)!! Do u hav a preference for where u want to go? :)!!

Talts wrote: »
    Hey!! Well at the minute I'm planning on going to Chicago cus my aunt is tryin to sort out a job for me over there :)! I'm still planning on heading out on my own so it will b nice to hav a job sorted :)!! Do u hav a preference for where u want to go? :)!!

I'd love Miami, but have been thinking it might be too hot. I didn't factor that in. Also it mightn't be the ideal place for jobs. I loved Chicgago, but I've been there so for that matter might like to try some place new. Here's what Goforless suggested. They don't seem to be coming to UL though.. that's too bad for Hogiebear!

"Hi Every-one

Go4Less are excited to announce that Atlantic Beach Club and Lawerence Beach Club which are located on Atlantic Beach, New York are coming to Ireland next week to interview students to work in their beach club this summer.

They will be holding interviews in colleges all next week - Please find details below to see when they will be in your college/close to you.

Don't miss out on this opportunity

Remember to bring your CV and look persentable!

You can check out Atlantic Beach Club here: http://www.atlanticbeachclub.net/

Monday, January 28th
    Sligo IT - Register in President Board Room (2nd Floor) - Interviews held in Library Meeting Room (1st floor)

Tuesday, January 29th
    NUIG - The Cube - Students Centre 1pm-4pm

Wednesday , January 30th
    GMIT - Room 903 2pm-5pm

Thursday , January 31st
    UCC -Students Common Room 10am-12pm
    C.I.T - Preformance Theatre 3pm-4pm

Monday Feb 4th
    Tallagh IT - To be advised

Best of luck every-one!"

If guaranteed a job before I get there I might settle for what Goforless suggested above.

ambzcoff92 wrote: »
    im female 21, up 4 a laugh!

I'm definitely going now!!

• Advertisement

LasTime wrote: »
    Since my passport has expired, I will need to get a new one. I did hear that you need to have had a passport for more than 6 months before you can to the U.S. i DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE or not but goforless didn't seem to have a problem with it.

haven't heard anything like that mate you should be fine!! Friend of mine hasn't got his passport yet either and hasn't had any problems! :)

haven't heard anything like that mate you should be fine!! Friend of mine hasn't got his passport yet either and hasn't had any problems! :)

Yeah, it's actually if your passport is due to expire within the next 6 months, in case you decide to stay in the U.S.

ambzcoff92 seems to have left the discussion. It would be great if we could get her back on board!

So have ye guys made any progress since? What visa company you going with? Apparently its not too late to register with Go4Less. I've been with Go4Less.. paid my initial €220 deposit the other day!

And what's the age you have to be for driving in America? It's 25 I heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cruiser92

Just booked my J1 and have flights to Miami...anyone definite? :)

Alright, we've got one on board. Any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 Boscus

Hey guys,

In college in dublin, but from Cork.

I am heading over to Miami at end of may, staying until september. Anyone interested in getting together, give us a shout.

Will probably look for a job in south beach area.

Advertisement