Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holiday intitalment

Options
  • 16-01-2013 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Can some one help me with this problem.
    I work partime in a hotel.
    I dont get a full days pay for bank holidays.I only get a 5th of my weekly wage for bankholidays.
    I did not get paid for bankholiday Christmas Day.
    Are they correct ?
    Thanks
    June

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Try the work and jobs forum instead:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

devilof53 wrote: »
    Can some one help me with this problem.
    I work partime in a hotel.
    I dont get a full days pay for bank holidays.I only get a 5th of my weekly wage for bankholidays.
    I did not get paid for bankholiday Christmas Day.
    Are they correct ?
    Thanks
    June

Xmas day is classed as a public holiday.
    A part-time employee must work at least 40 hours in the 5 weeks prior to the public holiday to be entitled to:

-a paid day off on the day or
    -an additional days AL or
    -an additional day's pay or
    - a paid day off within a month of the PH

If you have satisfied the condition and worked the 40 hrs and the PH is on a day you would be due to work- you are entitled a paid day off and if you do end up having to work it your entitled to an additional days pay.

If you are not scheduled to work that day but have satisfied the above you are still entitled to one fifth of your weekly pay as compensation for the PH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 devilof53

Thanks Sadderday
    I work 27 hrs aweek so I meet the requirements as per set out in NERA legislation.
    I have quoted this to my employers but their reply is they work and pay JLC rates.
    Is ther any redress I can take without any repercusions from my employers?
    Thanks
    June

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

I just studied this myself but havent yet worked in Payroll so you could always double check this info but JLC stands for Joint Labour Committee and their purpose is to set out minimum rates of pay for employment and regulate conditions of employment. In fairness, if you give NERA a buzz and explain this, they will basically explain it out for you and give you advice on whether you are/are not being treated fairly. You could also get onto citizensinformation.ie - the have great information there i'm sure that they could advise you obviously without your employer knowing that you are investigating it. As far as I know you are within your rights to query anything like this to your employer without any repercussions, and you are right to find out about your payment entitlements.

I know that certain sectors (maybe hotel/catering is one?) may have a registered employment agreement/collective agreement/employment regulation order which means that the legislation for a few selected sectors may be amended slightly... should be in your contract of employment though or the statement of terms and conditions that you should have received when you started there (you can request a new one if you need from your boss)

Either way, regardless of which rules and regulations are set out governing your pay and employment conditions, you are entitled to the information and could ask your employer to elaborate on the JLC rates.

Let me know if this helps at all or if you get sorted!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This is inappropriate and off-topic for this forum, so please take it to an appropriate one as already mentioned.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement