Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squatters rights

• 16-01-2013 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Does anyone know if it is expensive to claim land through squatters rights?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Well AFAIK you dont tend claim it; you state its yours and then defend that claim when the land owner tries to kick you off.

You should be aware its pretty hard to defend a claim of AP. All the paper owner has to do is look over the hedge a couple of times a year.

As always I don;t really know my arse from my elbow on this so take it at that value.

EDIT: Something pops into my head that if you did try and claim it you'd have an issue with acknowleding it wasn't yours - which I think is an issue with animus possideni or what ever its called... I really need to learn this better :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

ccopti wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it is expensive to claim land through squatters rights?

Its free(sih) money-wise but very expensive on time. You need to move onto the land for 12 years and claim it as your own for all that time. If the owner is checking in from time to time you have no chance.

I say its freeish money wise because it is wise to go to some expense making the place your own through decorating or gardening etc etc. Shows you intended to stay there and have it yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ccopti

Thanks. the land has been used by ourselves for approx the last 16 years. The owner emigrated and never returned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

For a successful claim of adverse possession there has to be certain elements present:

- You must be in possession of the land.
    - This possession must be adverse (to the owner, you can't recognise the owner).
    - Discontinuance or dispossession, this means that the alleged possessor must have discontinued the use and enjoyment of the land from the owner.
    - Animus Possidendi, which is somewhat a mental element; an intention to possess the land to the exclusion of all others; fencing off the land etc. can sometimes show this element. This element was very controversial and used to be extremely hard to prove and was developed from a body of case law, the latest (I think) was Dunne .v. Irish Rail.

Oh and, be in possession of the land for 12 years or more.

Edit: this isn't legal advice, just my academic understanding of the law relating to adverse possession, seek a solicitor if you are involved in any dispute about any land.

Prior to Durack how did anyone ever clain AP of a house if they were using it as a residence? Surely they didn't meet the requirement to be using the land in an inconsistant manner with the paper owner's future use.

So that this isn't a complete hijack - if you're sure you have AP, OP and you are just looking to register the land as opposed to claimit you can do that by virtue of the Act.

• Advertisement

thanks for the info. do you know if we need to obtain copy original deeds? I presume this is a legal case. There doesn't seem to be anything on the net as to the procedure or process we need to follow.

Thanks. the land has been used by ourselves for approx the last 16 years. The owner emigrated and never returned.

Does than land belong to someone in America? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

So basically,you have had someone else property rent free for 16 years and now you want advice on how to permanently relieve the owner of it? Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It IS nice. These laws exist for a reason: not to have potentially good land sitting around idle forever.

Prior to Durack how did anyone ever clain AP of a house if they were using it as a residence? Surely they didn't meet the requirement to be using the land in an inconsistant manner with the paper owner's future use.

So that this isn't a complete hijack - if you're sure you have AP, OP and you are just looking to register the land as opposed to claimit you can do that by virtue of the Act.

They had to be using the land in a way which was inconsistent to the owner's future use.. it used to come up a lot where the council would acquire land for a future use e.g. making that land into a road etc. and it might not be touched for years, there was a case (can't remember the name) where a mechanic used to park cars on such land, he then got it tarmacadamed and fenced etc. but it was held that it was not inconsistent with the owner's future intended use and so his claim failed. Very harsh, the law in Ireland was in a bit of disarray for a while as I think there was a case decided in 1989 but not reported till 1995 and in the mean time another case done away with the future intended use and so the courts weren't fully sure what to follow.

Can't remember the case names and the above is just off the top of my head. Great topic though.

• Advertisement

repsol wrote: »
    So basically,you have had someone else property rent free for 16 years and now you want advice on how to permanently relieve the owner of it? Nice.

Everyone from John Lock to my cat has a view on AP - good or bad it's here so might I suggest if you want a discusiion on the merits you start a new thread. There's as much for it as a good thing as a bad thing.

Person headed to england first and then on to the states. Haven't heard from him in about 10 years. We have fenced land, drained land, maintained land and now we think we are entitled to title so yes, we want to relieve the owner of it. it the country code.

chops018 wrote: »
    They had to be using the land in a way which was inconsistent to the owner's future use.. it used to come up a lot where the council would acquire land for a future use e.g. making that land into a road etc. and it might not be touched for years, there was a case (can't remember the name) where a mechanic used to park cars on such land, he then got it tarmacadamed and fenced etc. but it was held that it was not inconsistent with the owner's future intended use and so his claim failed. Very harsh, the law in Ireland was in a bit of disarray for a while as I think there was a case decided in 1989 but not reported till 1995 and in the mean time another case done away with the future intended use and so the courts weren't fully sure what to follow.

Can't remember the case names and the above is just off the top of my head. Great topic though.

Aye - great that a delay in reporting can cause that much crap lol! It was Durack and the delayed reporting one was Cort Corp v Lynch. I think the thing I misunderstood was future use. You nudged me in the right direction though :)

Person headed to england first and then on to the states. Haven't heard from him in about 10 years. We have fenced land, drained land, maintained land and now we think we are entitled to title so yes, we want to relieve the owner of it. it the country code.

I've less than a semester of Land Law under my belt and I can tell you this much. You want to go and get legal advice - even some of the things you have said here could potentially be damaging to your case. (again I might be talking out of my arse) but it does seem that the cases show a hard look at intentions and knowledge etc.

See a solicitor.

srsly78 wrote: »
    It IS nice. These laws exist for a reason: not to have potentially good land sitting around idle forever.

I was under the impression that we had a property market for that. You know, PAY for land.Squatters are parasites.

I'm nearly sure I read a case where the claimant said something like he thought the owner was "somewhere in America", and this damaged his claim. Not 100% sure, does anyone remember it or was it even an AP case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Squatters are parasites.

What a humanitarian. :pac:

Take a bow o charitable one.

chops018 wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure I read a case where the claimant said something like he thought the owner was "somewhere in America", and this damaged his claim. Not 100% sure, does anyone remember it or was it even an AP case?

I've just finished reading it and couldnt tell you the name :D

Pretty sure it's Feehan v Leamy ah yes it was - lots of threating :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I was under the impression that we had a property market for that. You know, PAY for land.Squatters are parasites.

What does the property market have to do with it? The owner disappears => it will never be put on the market. Squatters rights are supposed to fix this problem. It's either that, or the state would have to take over abandoned land (and the state would be the squatter then).

I've just finished reading it and couldnt tell you the name :D

Pretty sure it's Feehan v Leamy ah yes it was - lots of threating :D

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    What does the property market have to do with it? The owner disappears => it will never be put on the market. Squatters rights are supposed to fix this problem. It's either that, or the state would have to take over abandoned land (and the state would be the squatter then).

Since when does the owner of a property have to stand over it to retain title.This owner has not "disappeared".He has emigrated to the states. If you decide to go and work in Australia,do you think it is okay for me to commandeer any houses or land you own?Buying and holding onto land is not abandonment.Its investment.If OP wants to buy land in an area he should check out whats for sale.If he specifically wants that piece of land he should try to contact the owner and make an offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Would I be right in saying you can't use legal aid to defend yourself against a court case resulting from a dispute over land? (May only be UK law/May be my misinterpretation)

Since when does the owner of a property have to stand over it to retain title.This owner has not "disappeared".He has emigrated to the states. If you decide to go and work in Australia,do you think it is okay for me to commandeer any houses or land you own?Buying and holding onto land is not abandonment.Its investment.If OP wants to buy land in an area he should check out whats for sale.If he specifically wants that piece of land he should try to contact the owner and make an offer.

What are you on about? Its up to the owner to sell the land. If an person ups and leaves never to be seen again, there has to be a mechanism to keep value in land! Adverse possession is that mechanism. Its not as if its unfair, the law gives owners 12 YEARS in which to claim their title back. Sure who is going to try track down someone in a foreign country to make an offer for land. Outrageous.

Adverse possession on first look, which I assume you have just looked at it for the first time because thats what it sounds like, may seem harsh but the more you think about it, the better sense it makes.

If the owner wanted to hang onto the land, they could have leased it to the OP for a euro a year and still keep it. They didnt, they just left. The OP is 100% right and if I was a laywer I'd say they have a decent case (if it ever comes to that) but im not, I'm an internet randomer.
    Would I be right in saying you can't use legal aid to defend yourself against a court case resulting from a dispute over land? (May only be UK law/May be my misinterpretation)

You're right, only legal aid for criminal law and some very select area of civil law like family law. The Legal Aid Board doesnt do advice in land disputes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We have fenced land, drained land, maintained land and now we think we are entitled to title so yes, we want to relieve the owner of it.
    You have lived off it, but have you lived on it? Does anyone know if you have to be living on the land to claim squatters rights?

the_syco wrote: »
    You have lived off it, but have you lived on it? Does anyone know if you have to be living on the land to claim squatters rights?

Nope you can just fence it off and put your cows / dumped cars / sheep on it. However it's decided on a case by case basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Assuming that the relevant period of advserse possession (squatting) has passed, then then a s.49 application can be made in respect of registered land (land registry property).

If a s.49 application is successful, the applicant becomes registered as owner of the relevant property.

There tends to be a lot of work in taking the relevant history of possession, assembling various valuation office records, death certicates, other documents from various sources, and dealing with Land Registry queries, so this type of work tends to cost. Some of these applications can take years from start to finish. Fees will vary from firm to firm.

See a solicitor, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

You seem to be under the impression that there are people combing the countryside looking for bits of property that look like they might be abandoned for the next 12 year, in order to move into them, occupy them for the 12 years, and then engage in a lengthy legal process to gain title to them.

Adverse possession is just a mechanism to regularise the odd anomaly like the one the OP describes.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Interesting views.
    Slightly off the question asked by the OP, but seeing how it's related, I'll ask anyway.

Could the ESB claim adverse possession of land where they have placed an electricity pylon?

loremolis wrote: »
    Interesting views.
    Slightly off the question asked by the OP, but seeing how it's related, I'll ask anyway.

Could the ESB claim adverse possession of land where they have placed an electricity pylon?

Depends on the exact circumstances but a requirement for AP is that the squatter, for want of a better word, has to take the land with the intention of excluding everyone else and keeping the land for themselves for 12 years. Does merely placing a pylon an the land prove that intent? Not in my opinion.

• Advertisement

loremolis wrote: »
    Interesting views.

No AP requires that the person exclude all others. Putting a pylon somewhere isn't excluding people. The process is a complicated one and not its not an easy task. It more where someone has fenced off an adjoining piece of land and turned it into a garden. Actually just using the land usually won't amount to AP see Hickson v Boylan where raising pheasants wasn't sufficient.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement