Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembering guitar songs without the chord sheets?

• 16-01-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have been learning the guitar for the last 8 months or so. I have gotten reasonably good at open chords. I can kinda play F and B Minor Barre chords too. Basically I can play a lot of songs with the sheets in front of me telling me when to play what chords.

I don't think I could play one song without the sheets. How do you go about learning off all those songs and where to play what chord?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hi, I have been learning the guitar for the last 8 months or so. I have gotten reasonably good at open chords. I can kinda play F and B Minor Barre chords too. Basically I can play a lot of songs with the sheets in front of me telling me when to play what chords.

I don't think I could play one song without the sheets. How do you go about learning off all those songs and where to play what chord?

Thanks

Practice. That's about it. I find singing along helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

topcatcbr wrote: »

Practice. That's about it. I find singing along helps.
    Practise in the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

endacl wrote: »
    Practise in the dark.

I was going to say eyes closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Break it up and group the Chord sequences, typically a song could go Verse-- Chorus-- Verse --Chorus Bridge -- Chorus for example .

Then you need to know the Chord Sequences for each of the 3 sectios - verse chorus and bridge.
    Then make a note of the sequence in which they occour (verse chorus Bridge)

If theres an intro and outro add them, then you're done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 94Conor

Take the songs in small sections. Learn them off bit by bit and try them without the sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BAKER95

i always play in the dark when learning new songs and i try rely on my ears to tell me if it sounds right rather than always checking sheets , thats just me but everyones different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Practice and maybe some kind of quiet accompaniment to guide you along. You could always download an instrumental (Or MIDI file) and have that playing along in the background to guide you through the chord changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Practice and maybe some kind of quiet accompaniment to guide you along. You could always download an instrumental (Or MIDI file) and have that playing along in the background to guide you through the chord changes.

I find this approach works the best. I've been plodding away on the guitar for a long time without making any significant head way. Then, when I'm put on the spot I would struggle to play one complete song. I took a leaf out of Justin's book and started to compile a list 'BBQ songs'.

As well as that I downloaded some backing tracks to play along with. While I might a print out of the chords in front of me each time I play the song I use it less and less. Playing along to the track also helps in keeping time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dm2k12

just play the song youre trying to learn on youtube or your phone or something and play along with that without the chord sheets in front of you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Another approach would be to get familiar with some of the more common chords used within a key.

For example - I, IIminor, IV, V, VI minor would be a common selection of chords used within a song.

Song in G commonly use - G, Am, C, D, Em
    Song in C commonly use - C, Dm, F, G, Am

So if you are starting a song and know the first chord or two, in many cases the rest of the song utilise some or all of those 5 chords only.

There are some really common chord progressions out there.

I, IV, V
    I, V, VI minor, IV
    I, VI minor, IV, V
    II minor, V, I

If you train your ear to know what those chords are it can help you work out songs by yourself or where its going. Figure out the I chord and you have your starting point. The rest will follow.

This is a simplified run down of this. There are other chords used and other patterns too! This is just a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 lyonsm65

its very much a case of Practice practice practice. Your probably not fluent enough with the chords yet so that your still thinking chord change rather than muscle memory.one you get to that point the advice on breaking the song into verse chorus and bridge should see you memorize them quickly.

Advertisement