Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on feeding a miniature schnauzer

• 16-01-2013 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

i was advised by my vet to feed my puppy science plan, and going by her weight to give her 120-150 grams per, is there much of a difference with the gain brand of food, its only 8 euro compared to science plan 20 euro.
    also should i be giving her anything else like chicken ect, ive never had one before and they seem to be prone to dietry problems.
    another thing ive noticed she is going to the toilet up to four times a day which seems quite alot for a five month old puppy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Usually the lesser quality food the more you have to feed, as it contains less meat and good quality ingredients. So its usually better value to feed a higher quality food as you feed less of it.

Im usually against Hills as the vets only push to sell it and recommend it as they sell it and make commission from doing so.
    If you want to change to something a bit cheaper then it would be no problem.

Plus, depending on the breed, a large 15kg bag would be more economical in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

i saw a 10 kg bag in my local co op but it wasnt the puppy one and i thought it would be too harsh, a dog breeder told me about the gain brand of food, it is exactly the same as hills and science plan according to the packs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Even with small breeds 15kg is much more economical. I store mine in a large bin and its fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Its hard to say I tried the expensive food before recommended for my dog and it dried his skin out and he had no shine in his fur so changed a couple times until I found the right balance. we did try a musli mix and it set him loopy and gave him added energy which his breed aren't short on so changed again now he has something that agrees with him and keep his weight at a healthy size and proportion

• Advertisement

i saw a 10 kg bag in my local co op but it wasnt the puppy one and i thought it would be too harsh, a dog breeder told me about the gain brand of food, it is exactly the same as hills and science plan according to the packs

Gain have newer premium feeds out now called Gain Small dog/large dog and puppy. As far as I know they still sell the older Gain feeds which would not be the same quality.

It depends which Gain one. Theres all different quality ones. So try and go for the best one you can afford. Ensure that the first ingredient on the bag is Meat, and not grain or derivitives of animal or veg origins as thats poor quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

http://www.gainfeeds.com/pet/puppy
    this is the one i got today

http://www.gainfeeds.com/pet/puppy
    this is the one i got today

That is their new range. It is decent enough food and probably better then the Hills which I'm not a fan of. Vets make a big commision on it I reckon which is why they push it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Scarlett2013

Hi all,
    We are on the lookout for a miniature schnauzer pup but finding it difficult getting information on a reputable breeder. We are prepared to travel up north if needs be. If anyone knows of someone good it would be great if you could pm me their details.
    Thanks for your time,
    Scarlett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Royal Canin has a Junior version for Miniature Schnauzers, we've tried and and they love it. I don't know what the differences are between them.
    I'm about to try the Royal Canin Junior generic version next week.

Anyone know anything about Royal Canin and the Junior versions for Miniature Schnauzers Vs other brands?

We've seen no problems.

dehydrated poultry protein, vegetable protein isolate*, rice, maize, wheat flour, animal fats, wheat, maize flour, maize gluten, hydrolysed animal proteins, chicory pulp, minerals, fish oil, soya oil, psyllium husks and seeds, fructo-oligo-saccharides, hydrolysed yeast (source of manno-oligo-saccharides), borage oil, marigold extract (source of lutein). . - ]

Just looked at ingredients there of the RC Mini Schnauzer food, no sign of meat really so i wouldnt recommend feeding it at all.

Advertisement