Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoderDojo Waterford needs Mentors / Volunteers

Options
  • 16-01-2013 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi All,

CoderDojo is a movement orientated around running free not-for-profit coding clubs and regular sessions for young people.

At a CoderDojo, young people learn how to code, develop websites, apps, programs, games and more. Dojos are set up, run by and taught at by volunteers.

We have being running in Waterford since March 2012 and have grown to be a large and busy Dojo with an average of 80 kids each Saturday and this number is still growing!

We desperately need more volunteers with programming experience to help us out to ensure we carry on offering this free to our talented kids.

If you think you have something to offer and have a couple of spare hours on Saturdays between 1 and 3pm please get in touch. It need not be every Saturday as we know this is a big commitment but any help is appreciated.

Please contact coderdojowaterford@gmail.com for more info

Thanks,
    Gerry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Wouldn't the Arc Labs/WIT people be able to help out?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭foghlu

We need more volunteers then we currently have :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think I know someone, I'll get him on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

This is a terrific cause to support. The fact that the coderdojo movement is homegrown, but has had so much worldwide success really speaks to the desire that young children have for gobbling up as much information as they can. Not only is this a great way to keep kids entertained, but they're learning skills that'll stand to them for the rest of their lives.

If you're able to contribute either by volunteering or bringing your kids, you should definitely give it a go!

Thanks to boards.ie CoderDojo Waterford has found four new fantastic volunteers. It's great that people are willing to give up some of their time for such a valuable asset to our local kids!

Anyone else interested keep the emails coming as Waterford could do with more dojo's in new locations too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

What age are the kids starting from

Age range is generally between 7 to 17

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

What kind of experience are you looking for foghlu? Particular languages or what? Extensive knowledge or basics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

nkay1985 wrote: »
    What kind of experience are you looking for foghlu? Particular languages or what? Extensive knowledge or basics?

+1 Exactly what I was going to ask, will see what I can do if I know enough of the languages you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

I went along today and really enjoyed it.

There were 2 groups. One group learning HTML and the other learning Scratch. We were talking about the possibility of setting up a group for Introductory Java programming as well or a similar language.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Slightly OT but my little sister joined this today and she absolutely loved it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

The founder has just been on The Saturday Night Show, very impressive young man.

Great to see so many people volunteering their time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I'd never heard of scratch before, but it looks like a really good introduction into programming.

Good choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

Delighted to see this taking off in Waterford, I would definitely volunteer but I'm afraid I have moved abroad for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I am also abroad but am very impressed with this effort. IT is the future (and present of course!) so if I had kids they would be down there all the time (if they manage to get enough volunteers ;)). Best of luck with it!

Still looking for more people interested in helping out, especially anyone with HTML/CSS experience willing to help teach beginners the basics.

We get a very mixed range of kids so all levels of Mentors are required from basic HTML to fairly advanced Java.

Thanks to this boards post we gained a few great new volunteers that give up a few hours most Saturdays to help out but we could always do with a few more :-)

Advertisement