Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streamlined Region Switching now available for Xbox Live users

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

paddyk wrote: »
    Found this information here

http://www.xboxer360.com/news/streamlined-region-switching-now-available-for-xbox-live-users/

I have seen this question pop up from time to time. Hope this info helps

Thanks, My account is now UK, I assume for content might be better to leave it as UK? Is there any benefits for moving account to Ireland?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 davebushe

I bought my Xbox when I was living in the US years ago. Not wanting to give up the chevos, I've been waiting on this for ages. It took about 2 minutes the other night to switch to Ireland and I was able to add points etc straight away.

Even better, my Gold was due to expire on the 22nd of Jan. I changed on Jan 16th and now it says it's good until Feb 16th. Dunno what happened but not going to complain about (almost) an extra month!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

About time, have been waiting for this for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You lose the Gamertag licenses for all your content and some of your existing content might be region blocked, so don't go randomly changing your account region because you think some other countries get better deals/content.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

You lose the Gamertag licenses for all your content and some of your existing content might be region blocked, so don't go randomly changing your account region because you think some other countries get better deals/content.
    Not exactly, the licences will transfer over if said content exists in your new marketplace region. If it doesn't then you'll lose the ability to redownload them should you delete them from your console.

I finally did this back in November after a couple of years of being locked out of the Indie marketplace, certain 18 rated content and some of the better apps on the Windows Phone marketplace. It was a long time coming but most certainly appreciated in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just did the switch myself and think I gained an extra free month in the process. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

gizmo wrote: »
    Not exactly, the licences will transfer over if said content exists in your new marketplace region. If it doesn't then you'll lose the ability to redownload them should you delete them from your console.

I think I'd rather set up a silver account from another region & then let the local license do the work, that way you have the best of both worlds

There is limited differences between the licenses between the UK and Ireland, but physically move between the two and you cannot get any local stuff because it recognises your xbox as being foreign. You can't get the stuff from your "home" region because you are not there, you cannot buy stuff in your "physical" region because your credit card is for the wrong region, you cannot change your credit card to a local one because you xbox is for another region.

Have found myself unable to get stuff that is available in both UK and Ireland because of this inability to switch regions and it just blocks you from both directions.

Switching between further separated regions may cause a bigger issue, but the UK/IRL switch is relatively insignificant in terms of licenses, but annoying enough that you feel the need to change to the true local region.

robinph wrote: »
    Have found myself unable to get stuff that is available in both UK and Ireland because of this inability to switch regions and it just blocks you from both directions.

Thats why I set up a silver UK account to go alongside my sons IRE Gold account. If he wants anything from the UK or Indy marketplace now he just signs out of his IRE Gold account, signs into the UK silver one & he has full access to UK content. Anything he buys or downloads can then be used on his IRE Gold account, because a local license is issued to the console itself.

He got some kind of Minecraft zombie-like game from the UK account on the Indy marketplace. He then signed out of that once done & signed into the Irish one & voila, he could play the Indy stuff online on his Gold account through the Irish account. As I said, it seems to be the best of both worlds

EnterNow wrote: »
    Thats why I set up a silver UK account to go alongside my sons IRE Gold account. If he wants anything from the UK or Indy marketplace now he just signs out of his IRE Gold account, signs into the UK silver one & he has full access to UK content. Anything he buys or downloads can then be used on his IRE Gold account, because a local license is issued to the console itself.

He got some kind of Minecraft zombie-like game from the UK account on the Indy marketplace. He then signed out of that once done & signed into the Irish one & voila, he could play the Indy stuff online on his Gold account through the Irish account. As I said, it seems to be the best of both worlds
    Are you based in the UK, EnterNow? Regarding the highlighted bit above, if the answer was no I'd imagine you wouldn't have access to the XBLIG Marketplace, some of the 18-rated content and other UK-specific apps I mentioned above?

• Advertisement

Are you based in the UK, EnterNow? Regarding the highlighted bit above, if the answer was no I'd imagine you wouldn't have access to the XBLIG Marketplace, some of the 18-rated content and other UK-specific apps I mentioned above?

No I'm based here In Ireland. Unless something has changed recently has it? Because he certainly had access to the Indy Market a while back, & made a purchase from it as I mentioned...

No I'm based here In Ireland. Unless something has changed recently has it? Because he certainly had access to the Indy Market a while back, & made a purchase from it as I mentioned...
    Hmm, as far as I was aware you couldn't anyway. The last time I checked was just after launch though so it's been awhile. In my case, when I had my Irish account signed in while over here I couldn't access the UK-based content but I also couldn't test it with Ireland-exclusive content because there wasn't any. :)

Hmm, as far as I was aware you couldn't anyway. The last time I checked was just after launch though so it's been awhile. In my case, when I had my Irish account signed in while over here I couldn't access the UK-based content but I also couldn't test it with Ireland-exclusive content because there wasn't any. :)

It must have changed then over the years, because I had a thread here on this forum actually asking for help in how to get Indy content as my son was blistering me to get some game. The advice I got was to set up a new Silver account with UK details. Then using that account purchase the content I wanted, & then I'd be able to use said content on the original account as two licenses get issues for content:

1) A user licence thats tied to the profile that purchased it
    2) a local licence is issued to the console it was purchased with, to allow 2 players etc.

It worked perfectly too. And in true kids fashion, after a day or two of playing the Indy game, he lost interest in it :rolleyes:

Aye, I knew about the local licence bit, I just didn't think you could download the content initially from a UK Silver account while the console was located in Ireland.

Aye, I knew about the local licence bit, I just didn't think you could download the content initially from a UK Silver account while the console was located in Ireland.

Well as I said unless something has changed in the meantime, it certainly used to work up until mid/late last year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LSlemon98

wat regions have the xblig marketplace and can i make another account on my xbox in said region to download said region items

LSlemon98 wrote: »
    wat regions have the xblig marketplace and can i make another account on my xbox in said region to download said region items

UK & USA as far as I know. Yes you can make a silver account, using UK details & postcodes etc & then download from the Indy market etc

UK & USA as far as I know. Yes you can make a silver account, using UK details & postcodes etc & then download from the Indy market etc

this might be annoying but is a silver account just one that is not renewed for gold and does ur email account have to be from that region

LSlemon98 wrote: »
    this might be annoying but is a silver account just one that is not renewed for gold

Yeah its a free basic account

is there anything i have to do before making the change to the region like games and stuff on other accounts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Cheers OP, a long time waiting for this. I've been in the UK nearly 2 years and it's a bit of a pain having to log in to another profile to download apps etc

Advertisement