Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Next season I think we have to win the league for it to be a success. Especially if we have Jose in charge.

I'd take the UCL over the league anyway next season if I was making wishes.

Jose will certainly be worth an extra couple of points over the course of a season compared to AVB, RDM & Rafa.
    2012-13 - 75pts - 3rd
    2011-12 - 64pts - 6th
    2010-11 - 71pts - 2nd
    2009-10 - 86pts - 1st
    2008-09 - 83pts - 3rd
    2007-08 - 85pts - 2nd
    2006-07 - 83pts - 2nd
    2005-06 - 91pts - 1st
    2004-05 - 95pts - 1st
    2003-04 - 79pts - 2nd

Joses 3 full seaons in bold.

Thats an average of 89.6 pts a season.

I hate the off season but I just love LOVE silly season

http://www.sport.co.uk/football/ronaldo-to-chelsea-is-this-the-deal-that-mourinho-is-holdin/4225188/?

That would be great just how many people would that annoy

Nearly, but not quite, as good would be

http://footylatest.com/bayern-munich-are-very-serious-about-raiding-liverpool-in-the-summer/43957?

That would be brilliant.

Ronaldo to Chelsea
    Bale to Real
    Suarez to Bayern

:pac:

It'll never hapen anyway, most likely is Bale IMO and I', mot talking about this season but sometime down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd take the UCL over the league anyway next season if I was making wishes.

Yeah I know I felt gutted to see bayern lift our trophy Saturday night.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Yeah I know I felt gutted to see bayern lift our trophy Saturday night.

They're going to be a force next year again, can Pep keep up their recent excellent European record, given they've signed Gotze and probably announce Lewandoski in the coming weeks they could easily become the 1st team in modern times to retain the trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

It would probably knock €10-15 Million off Cavanis price but we could still end up paying €35-40 Million I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Adios Rafa. Much ass grassy ass.

Next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

from the express

Chelsea ready to challenge Arsenal for £25m forward Stevan Jovetic

CHELSEA are ready to go head-to-head with Arsenal for £25 million Fiorentina striker Stevan Jovetic.

Jose Mourinho will sign his new £12m a year four-year contract with Chelsea on Monday, and wants to challenge the club's London rivals for Jovetic.

Mourinho, who has agreed the deal in principal with owner Roman Abramovich, will fly into London on Sunday, following Real Madrid's last game of the season at home to Osasuna the previous evening.

And one of Mourinho's first acts will be to launch a £25m bid to steal Jovetic from under the noses of Arsenal, with a number of the Blues striking options in the transfer market proving out of reach.

Mourinho will sign his contract at the Blues on Monday, and has made Jovetic a top transfer target

Jovetic is a definite option for Chelsea. Cavani at the moment is too expensive
    Chelsea source
    Former Chelsea target Radamel Falcao completed his £51m switch from Atletico Madrid to Monaco yesterday, while Edinson Cavani of Napoli has been ruled too expensive at £52m with £250,000-a-week wages.

A source close to the club told the Daily Express: “Jovetic is a definite option for Chelsea. Cavani at the moment is too expensive

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/403297/Chelsea-ready-to-challenge-Arsenal-for-25m-forward-Stevan-Jovetic

Happy Birthday to RDM, turned 43 today.

• Advertisement

Martin Lipton has a piece running today that he reckons Jose 2nd coming wont be as pretty and points to the way he left all those years ago.

Although its a poor enough piece he also wrongly implies Cech was a Jose signing. :rolleyes:

Link - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelsea-fans-desperate-jose-mourinhos-1917950

congrats to jimmy floyd hasselbank, new manager of royal antwerp

Chelsea players on international duty :
    The Confederations Cup begins in Brazil on 15 June, and Luiz Felipe Scolari's side will warm up for the tournament with a couple of attractive friendly games.
    David Luiz and Oscar will be part of the Brazil squad which takes on England at the Maracana on Sunday 2 June, while a week later they face France at the same venue.
    Ashley Cole will captain England tonight when they take on Republic of Ireland at Wembley in the first meeting between the sides since 1995. Cole will lead the team out to mark him reaching 100 caps in February's game against Brazil, while Gary Cahill and Frank Lampard will also hope to be involved.
    Having clinched the Africa Cup of Nations back in January, Nigeria will also play in the Confederations Cup, and their squad, which includes John Mikel Obi and Kenneth Omeruo, prepare for the competition with matches against Mexico, Kenya and Namibia.
    Having recently earned his 100th cap with Czech Republic, Petr Cech will be confident of starting in their match against Italy on Friday in Prague, while Yossi Benayoun's Israel play Honduras in America.
    Eden Hazard, meanwhile, will hope to have recovered from injury in time to represent Belgium against USA tonight, before potentially coming up against Branislav Ivanovic and his Serbia side on Friday 7 June.
    Hazard is joined in the Belgium squad for the first time by his younger brother, Thorgan, who has been rewarded for his impressive form while on loan at Zulte Waregem.
    Thibaut Courtois, Romelu Lukaku and Kevin De Bruyne make up the Chelsea contingent in Marc Wilmots's squad.
    Of our younger players, Josh McEachran is currently away at a training camp with England Under-21s ahead of the European Championships in Israel which begin on Sunday. He will be joined later this week by Nathaniel Chalobah.
    Patrick van Aanholt, meanwhile, has been named in the Dutch squad for the tournament after an impressive season on loan at Vitesse. They open their campaign against Germany on 6 June.
    Milan Lalkovic will hope to be involved when Slovakia Under-21s face Israel tonight, while they also meet Luxembourg on Thursday 11 June.
    Lamisha Musonda is part of the Belgium squad who will participate in the Toulon Under-21 tournament. They face Brazil in their first game tonight.
    Qualification for the Under-19 European Championships continues with the Elite Round, and Nathan Ake's Netherlands side face games against Norway, Cyprus and Germany.
    Another player involved in the process is Andreas Christensen, fresh from his involvement with the first team last week in the US. His Denmark side face Czech Republic on Tuesday 4 June before taking on Portugal two days later.
    Blues duo Lewis Baker and John Swift will be hoping to inspire England to a much-needed victory over Scotland in Belgium, and they will be in direct competition with Alex Davey and Islam Feruz, who are both part of the Scotland squad.

Looks like Falcao will be off to Madrid in January (least at that price I hope not us), looks like this is a transfer of convenience to facilitate a transfer to RM right enough.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/05/28/falcao-has-clause-in-monaco-contract-allowing-him-to-sign-for-ch/?

Looks like Falcao will be off to Madrid in January (least at that price I hope not us), looks like this is a transfer of convenience to facilitate a transfer to RM right enough.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/05/28/falcao-has-clause-in-monaco-contract-allowing-him-to-sign-for-ch/?

Real can have him for 60Million Euro. :eek:

We could get in 2, 3 good players with that money instead of blowing it all on Falcao, that clause is a load of bo**cks if its true.

Unless all his 3rd party suitors have been bought out in this deal to Monaco there's no hope he'll be rocking up to the EPL anytime soon.

I'd rather we spend half on Higauin and bring in a CB or CM too.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Kenneth Omeruo

He was involved with and played for Nigeria in the African Nations cup but can't ever remember seeing him in any of our squads or seeing much mention of him ?

Techless wrote: »
    Kenneth Omeruo

He was involved with and played for Nigeria in the African Nations cup but can't ever remember seeing him in any of our squads or seeing much mention of him ?

I thought he was out on loan somewhere actually.

Just Googled him, hes in Holland playing for ADO Den Haag.

Article from here - http://thechels.net/2013/05/loanee-review-kenneth-omeruo/

I thought he was out on loan somewhere actually.

Just Googled him, hes in Holland playing for ADO Den Haag.

Article from here - http://thechels.net/2013/05/loanee-review-kenneth-omeruo/

plays for Den Haag. had a really good african nations cup

No Moses in the Nigeria squad?

Is he injured? He had a good ACN by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Hasselbaink is the new coach of my local team in Belgium :D

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Hasselbaink is the new coach of my local team in Belgium :D

They pick up a load of Man Utd young fellas on loan, wonder will Jimmy be making the call to see if he can take a few Chelsea youngsters over with him on loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

That used to be the case a few years ago (Fraizer Campbell, Danny Higginbotham, Jonny Evans, John O'Shea) but lately it's been downsized a lot.

If I'm correct he is being brought in by a former football agent (Saif Rubie) who worked with the likes of Kolo Toure, Demba Ba, Carlton Cole,...

A few other players will be brought in by that guy and his investors as well, but I hope we'll just use a healthy mix of local players and foreign players.

Quite happy with it, I always liked him as a player and at least we know he's offensive minded, none of that defensive crap :pac:

Just Googled ex Man Utd players to play for them :
    Jamie Wood
    Dong Fangzhuo
    Fraizer Campbell
    Luke Chadwick
    John Cofie
    Jimmy Davis
    Sylvan Ebanks-Blake
    Adam Eckersley
    David Fox
    Luke Giverin
    Colin Heath
    Tom Heaton
    Danny Higginbotham
    Kirk Hilton
    Eddie Johnson
    Ritchie Jones
    Michael Lea
    Lee Martin
    Paul Rachubka
    Ryan Shawcross
    Danny Simpson
    Alan Tate
    Ronnie Wallwork
    Neil Wood
    Arthur Gómez
    Darron Gibson
    John O'Shea
    Gyliano van Velzen
    Craig Cathcart
    Jonny Evans
    Phil Bardsley
    David Gray
    Souleymane Mamam

Big fan of Jimmy as a striker, he was a goal machine, hopefully he does well out of it anyway.

Bales agent on MARCA TV today
    Bale was "worth more than Neymar … he's a better player than him

That looks like the " I only watch Sky Sports " school of thought.

He went on to say
    "Bale is a better player than Neymar and he's demonstrated it in one of the best leagues in the world," Barnett said. "I would imagine clubs want him not just because they missed out on Neymar but because of how good he is. He should be the first option, we'll see … Bale is worth more than Neymar.

Good luck on the pimping to Real Madrid business anyway, Levy will not be happy unless crazy money comes in for Bale and then he may consider selling but I'd suspect he'll want about 60million stg for him.

Bales agent on MARCA TV today

That looks like the " I only watch Sky Sports " school of thought.

He went on to say

Good luck on the pimping to Real Madrid business anyway, Levy will not be happy unless crazy money comes in for Bale and then he may consider selling but I'd suspect he'll want about 60million stg for him.
    What's his contract situation?

• Advertisement

What's his contract situation?

I think its up at the end of 2016 and he was meant to be signing a 1 year extension very soon earning about 120K a week.

Honestly, I cant see him long at Spurs and if hes not off this year he'll be gone next year but for huge money and very likely to anyone but an EPL team.

Looks like Barca want to buy Chelsea ... and we are supposed to be boring.

http://www.givemesport.com/348023-21m-barcelona-target-wants-showdown-talks-at-chelsea?
    Little chance but for a lot more than that if it were to happen

http://football-talk.co.uk/79315/barca-line-up-ambitious-17m-swap-deal-for-chelseas-mata/?
    No chance

Looks like Barca want to buy Chelsea ... and we are supposed to be boring.

http://www.givemesport.com/348023-21m-barcelona-target-wants-showdown-talks-at-chelsea?
    Little chance but for a lot more than that if it were to happen

http://football-talk.co.uk/79315/barca-line-up-ambitious-17m-swap-deal-for-chelseas-mata/?
    No chance

Luiz and Mata were both bought for about 25 Million, no way in hell will we sell them for 21 & 17 Million, if anything we can still command 25 Millino for Luiz but Mata is worth at least 35-40 Million given his 2 seasons with us.\

Those reoprts are fairly sh**e but Barca can go do one in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Would have thought someone like Vermalen would be a good buy for Barca, wouldn't imagine he'd be too expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'd love to know where these rumours that Mourinho doesn't rate Luiz come from. Why wouldn't he rate Luiz? He's a top drawer centre back and midfielder, a leader in the squad. a great attitude and a Portuguese speaker to boot.

• Advertisement

I just cant see Jose selling Luiz to anyone.

I reckon everyone will be giving a chance to impress Jose but he has a fair idea who is going to figure in his plane and how he wants to approach games.

I love our atatcking play at times last year but we need someone like Jose to come in and introduce a discipline that looked to be creeping in under Rafa during the last few games, we need a blend of both for the EPL.

I think its up at the end of 2016 and he was meant to be signing a 1 year extension very soon earning about 120K a week.

Honestly, I cant see him long at Spurs and if hes not off this year he'll be gone next year but for huge money and very likely to anyone but an EPL team.

I can't see him leaving this season (hope I'm wrong)
    But I see him giving it one more shot with spurs and then possibly moving if they fail to reach the ucl.

I can't see him leaving this season (hope I'm wrong)
    But I see him giving it one more shot with spurs and then possibly moving if they fail to reach the ucl.

A player of his calibre shouldnt be content with just UCL though, Spurs wont win the thing.

He should be winning titles or at least aiming to win them and Spurs are a bit off that at the moment, maybe the FA cup/League cup are his best chances for silverware with Spurs.

Next year they might squeeze Arsenal out of the top 4 but all depends on what both do in the off season regarding players in and out.

Spurs have to keep Bale though, thats a given.

I'd love to know where these rumours that Mourinho doesn't rate Luiz come from. Why wouldn't he rate Luiz? He's a top drawer centre back and midfielder, a leader in the squad. a great attitude and a Portuguese speaker to boot.

I would say it is a matter of paper not refusing ink myself. To a large degree Sideshow is in the Ricky mold and he has followed TSO around the place so he must rate him.

As for the prices ST£25m + Matic for Sideshow and sell him for ST£21m yea that is great business sense in the world of FFP. I would put Mata in the ST£50m bracket myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Good Luck Frank, Gary and Captain Ashley tonight! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

It's possible that the water is being tested. If Mourinho doesn't see a role for Luiz, then of course the message is going to leak out from JM's side. He might also be putting Luiz on notice that he's going to have to up his game to integrate into the structures Jose plans to implement.

And of course it could all be complete BS.

But it's clear for all to see that Sideshow has significant flaws. It's all very well saying he's got flair and will mature over time, which is a constructive POV. But I reckon Mourinho is going to rate players on the basis of their input - tackles, completion rates, assists, etc.. Not to mention how players bear up under pressure.

My own hunch is that for all Luiz's incredible talent, he has to demonstrate consistency and reliability in the EPL. He may well perform and deliver better on the European stage [some players thrive on that stage]. But he's going to have to prove he can survive at the core of a team that grinds out results in the premiership all the way through cold, drab winters. Mourinho knows what that takes. And my guess is Jose will be looking to deliver first in the one competition he knows he can crank out the goods - the EPL.

Good old Frank! Nice goal.

McDave wrote: »
    Good old Frank! Nice goal.

That's one lampard goal I won't be celebrating.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2331952/Jose-Mourinho-win-Champions-League-Chelsea-justify-return-claims-Rudd-Gullit.html

Gullit reckons anything less then winning the UCL during his 2nd tenure and Jose would be a failure. :pac:

What can we realistically acheive next year, what do you think we'll do?
    For me No. 1 priority is to establish consistency and a renewed team spirit. That means the EPL and getting through the UCL group stages with our prior customary ease.

FA Cup games should also be prioritised. It takes six games to win. It's a worthwhile competition.

I would completely deprioritise the League Cup, using it to blood younger players and those who are not getting regular games. I would minimise senior player involvement.

Criteria:

Complete success will be defined by the premiership, UCL last eight, and a second trophy of any hue.

Relative success by premiership top two running the winners to the end, UCL last eight and a trophy of any hue.

Acceptable performance will comprise a comfortable top two, UCL last eight and a decent FA Cup run.

Failure is quite simply defined as not getting out of the UCL group stage and not qualifying for the following season's UCL.

Predictions for next season:

- EPL: top two and a real shot at the title

- UCL: there's no legislating for being in a group of death, but all things being equal, if we top our group, we should make the last eight without too much difficulty. Everything after that depends on 'details'

- FA Cup: depends on the luck of the draws

If Jose has a four year contract, as some have mooted, he will be judged by mid-term, when a contract extension will be on the cards. To get that extension, Chelsea will need at least one premiership, one FA Cup and one UCL semi-final. An early UCL final will be a slam dunk for a contract extension.

• Advertisement

That's one lampard goal I won't be celebrating.
    :pac: You might feel differently about if if we win in the end!

My little fella did say he wanted us to win 2-1 because he wanted to see a lampard goal! we'll see?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Lets buy Shane Long.

Legion. wrote: »
    Lets buy Shane Long.

Nah.....we'll be getting best WBA best striker next season, why not use him instead.

Rob Beasley on Twitter saying Jose signed a contract Tuesday.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

ESPN commentator for the USA - Belgium game on atm is of the opinion that Lukaku and De Bruyne are very much in Mourinho's plans when he does officially return. Make of that what you will.

Rob Beasley on Twitter saying Jose signed a contract Tuesday.

full article

JOSE MOURINHO is Chelsea’s new boss — and that’s official!
    The Special One sealed a spectacular £40million four-year deal on Tuesday night.
    A senior Blues source revealed: “It’s official Jose is a Chelsea man again! Everyone is delighted he’s coming back — the club, the players and the fans
    “We are already looking forward to next season — we are sure it’s going to be very exciting.”
    The Sun exclusively told you on May 3 that Real Madrid chief Mourinho was heading back to the Bridge.
    And we can now reveal Mourinho finally put pen to paper during a two-day trip to London this week.
    His cover story was attending the Crystal Palace-Watford play-off final at Wembley on Monday and visiting friends in the capital.
    But the real purpose of the visit was to seal an emotional return to his beloved Blues along with right-hand man Rui Faria.
    Now it is expected he will be unveiled next week in a blaze of publicity by the Europa League champions.
    That is after he has taken charge of Real’s final game at home to Osasuna on Saturday, which will bring to an end his controversial three-year reign at the Bernabeu.
    There is just time for the 50-year-old father of two to squeeze in a holiday with his family before starting work in earnest in July.
    Mourinho’s first match looks sure to be the pre-season friendly in Thailand against the Singha All Stars XI, the kick-off to a Far East tour that also takes in Malaysia and Indonesia.
    Then he will take the Blues to America for the International Champions Cup tournament which features two of Mourinho’s former clubs, Real Madrid and Inter Milan, as well as Everton, Juventus, AC Milan, Valencia and LA Galaxy.
    Much is expected of Mourinho, who won six trophies in just three seasons during his first spell at Chelsea between 2004-07.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4947332/Jose-Mourinho-is-Chelseas-new-boss-and-thats-official.html

If anyone other then Jose is announced it'll be the worst summer ever :pac:

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    ESPN commentator for the USA - Belgium game on atm is of the opinion that Lukaku and De Bruyne are very much in Mourinho's plans when he does officially return. Make of that what you will.

Both are good enough to play with us right now so I'd imagine Jose will at least give them the pre-season tour of ASia before making any decisions.

Both could be very good options and will save us splashing money on replacements when we already have the ready made thing right in front of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If anyone other then Jose is announced it'll be the worst summer ever :pac:

II actually worried by the moves that Monaco are making, could steal the mou

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement