Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Nice bit of support for Mourinho and a dig at obvious targets: http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1465922/real-madrid-alvaro-arbeloa-says-people-lacked-maturity?cc=5739

TBH Mou set himself up for opprobrium with the eye-gouging incident. But the holier-than-thou posturing by RM (especially Casillas with help from his tabloid TV girlfriend) is stomach-churning. RM are no longer the totems they see themselves as. Maybe they should accept Perez' relative failure with some grace. But will they? I think not. Doesn't mean though that everyone else has to take them seriously.

As for that classless vice-president from Barcelona? Well, let's say that he's motivated Mourinho perfectly for future clashes. Nice one Carlos.

Mourinho's learned a lot since he left CFC. If/when he signs for Chelsea, he'll be bringing an incredible amount of know how back to the club. No least how to deal with arrogant Iberian upstarts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Wow, still there, can't believe he signed an xx year contract!

EDIT: And here's a story about that story! http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/premier-league-website-posts-jose-mourinho-chelsea-announcement-032514778.html
    Ha its gone now! I'll bet someone is going to have to explain themselves.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Anybody wanting out on the verge of Jose coming back would be mad.

Jose will win the title in the next 3 years and should push us to at least a UCL semi final in that time.

Luiz will be staying IMO, sure we'd need about 30Million before we agree to sell him and then we'll have to use that money to replace him.
    FWIW, €40 million for Luiz and Ivanovic being mooted in the Daily Star.
    Chelsea fans better prepare for some pain with the Daily Star reporting the Blues are ready to sell defensive duo David Luiz and Branislav Ivanovic to Barcelona. Luiz has long been linked with a move to Spain, but the Catalan giants now want the pair. And the Primera Division winners are ready to pay a combined £40 million for the two internationals - a figure that is said to be tempting to Chelsea officials.
    http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/onthemove/id/5911?cc=5739

Being harshly objective, Mourinho wants to mount a credible EPL challenge. Both players have shown significant defensive frailties and inconsistencies that Mourinho would not stand for.

I'd fear more for Ivanovic, as Luiz has potential in midfield. However, will Luiz be able to discharge either a Makalele or Lampard/Ballack role? I guess that's what Jose will be weighing up.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Ha its gone now! I'll bet someone is going to have to explain themselves.

Well,
    The Premier League is trying to ascertain whether the publication of the article was the result of a system failure or human error.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-apologises-for-chelsea-error-29314242.html

Like obituaries, the PL site had their text ready to go, but someone probably demob happy hit the 'Publish' command by mistake and promptly went home! :pac:

Personally I think he's a bit out of order, but anyway:
    Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has told Sky Sports News that Jose Mourinho will return to Chelsea.
    http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1466075/florentino-perez-confirms-jose-mourinho-chelsea-return?cc=5739

It'll be tortilla on Perez' face if he's wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

SSN reporting Jose has arrived in the UK.......it's happening people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I have missed him. Eggs -> Omelettes is definitely a stand-out moment :D

• Advertisement

Killinator wrote: »
    SSN reporting Jose has arrived in the UK.......it's happening people!
    So it appears!
    Jose Mourinho has touched down at Heathrow Airport after Real Madrid confirmed that the Special One is returning to Stamford Bridge.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2334610/Jose-Mourinho-London-seal-Chelsea-comeback.html

:)

Much more impressed with Oscar than neymar in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Anyone else getting a tad excited about the impending announcement? Sky are hanging around SB hoping to see Jose arrive.

It all seems very real all of a sudden :D

Essien wrote: »
    Anyone else getting a tad excited about the impending announcement? Sky are hanging around SB hoping to see Jose arrive.

It all seems very real all of a sudden :D

Sky apparently have direct quotes from Jose now saying he will be announced as the new chelsea manager this week! I think its a foregone conclusion now all we're waiting for is confirmation.

Seems there's been no smoke without fire, both on Jose and Sideshow:
    Jose Mourinho has confirmed he will be named Chelsea manager by the end of the week, insisting the admiration Blues fans have for him made the decision easier.
    http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1466885/jose-mourinho-confirms-join-chelsea-week?cc=5739

See also: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/03/jose-mourinho-chelsea-manager-return
    It is claimed Mourinho will confirm the sale of Luiz to Barcelona for £30 million soon after he reclaims the hot seat at the Blues. Barca missed out on top defensive target Thiago Silva to Paris-Saint Germain, and are said to be keen on a deal which would see Luiz switch to the Camp Nou this summer. Pep Guardiola and Bayern Munich are also thought to be interested in the centre-back.
    http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/onthemove/id/5917?cc=5739

See also: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/03/football-transfer-rumours

If the Luiz news is bad to some, my guess is funds are substantial but defined, and Mourinho has a hard-nosed vision that involves defensive toughness to augment the creative midfield we already have.

• Advertisement

Hope the Luiz story isn't true. He'd still do your head in at times at CB but we shouldn't be selling him.

Can't really see luiz going anywhere! hope I'm right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I really hope David Luiz is not sold. The man is future captain material. A nutcase, but he's OUR nutcase. He's a very likeable character off the pitch too, which is good for P.R.

While he can be suspect at CB, he has come into his own in the defensive/box-to-box midfield role. Add to the fact that he can score some crackers of goals when the chips are down and the pressure is on.

I really hope he is not sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

DazMarz wrote: »
    I really hope David Luiz is not sold. The man is future captain material. A nutcase, but he's OUR nutcase. He's a very likeable character off the pitch too, which is good for P.R.

While he can be suspect at CB, he has come into his own in the defensive/box-to-box midfield role. Add to the fact that he can score some crackers of goals when the chips are down and the pressure is on.

Maybe Mourinho will give him a year to see how he fits in as a player and potential leader.

My suspicion though is that Mourinho won't gamble his first season on experimentation. If he needs cash to get who he wants, that in itself might be enough to edge him towards selling.

Another thing to bear in mind is that Mourinho always wanted a strong Portuguese (language?) presence in the dressingroom. Can Luiz be a Jose loyalist? Or is there an underlying clash of personalities, or expectations?

Anyway, it's all speculation. I think we can all agree that we want what's best for Chelsea's longterm future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'm a bit split on this. On one hand I'll be really disappointed if he leaves Chelsea, he's such a remarkable talent and has become a real leader in the squad. I think there are very few adequate replacements for him.

On the other hand I'd be delighted to see him join Barcelona. I've said it before, IMO he is the perfect Barcelona centre back and the ideal replacement for Puyol (even down to the hair). For me he is one of the best centre backs in the world and will definitely add to the Barcelona team.

He has incredible flair and confidence. And enormous entertainment value.

But on the other hand last night against England he hoisted a square pass *over* a forward England player to another defender. A real possibility of an intercept going in on goal for England. That's the kind of effort that would drive someone like Jose mad. Flair, bad decision-making or recklessness?

McDave wrote: »
    He has incredible flair and confidence. And enormous entertainment value.

But on the other hand last night against England he hoisted a square pass *over* a forward England player to another defender. A real possibility of an intercept going in on goal for England. That's the kind of effort that would drive someone like Jose mad. Flair, bad decision-making or recklessness?

Flair. He defended well last night. Some of his passing was incredible, in the first half a huge cross field ball dropped just over the head of Baines onto the toe of Alves. That's the kind of quality that would be missing if he were sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

Jose officially confirmed by club!

On SSN

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3199099/title/mourinho-appointed
    MOURINHO APPOINTED
    Posted on: Mon 03 Jun 2013

Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce the appointment of Jose Mourinho as First Team Manager.

Mourinho has signed a four-year contract and will return to the club where he won two Premier League titles, an FA Cup and two League Cups between 2004 and 2007.

Ron Gourlay, Chelsea FC Chief Executive, said: 'I am delighted to welcome Jose back to Chelsea. His continued success, drive and ambition made him the outstanding candidate.

'It is our aim to keep the club moving forward to achieve greater success in the future and Jose is our number one choice as we believe he is the right manager to do just that.

'He was and remains a hugely popular figure at the club and everyone here looks forward to working with him again.'

Since leaving Chelsea in 2007, the 50-year-old Portuguese has worked in Italy with Inter and Spain with Real Madrid, lifting three league championships, two domestic cups and the Champions League.

Originally appointed at Stamford Bridge in 2004, immediately after winning Europe's top competition with Porto, he quickly achieved success securing his first trophy for the club as early as February 2005, when we beat Liverpool 3-2 after extra-time in Cardiff to win the Carling Cup. We went on to win the league that season with a record 95 points and a record low of just 15 goals conceded in 38 games.

The club celebrated consecutive championships in our centenary 2005/06 season, secured with a 3-0 win over Manchester United in late April, and the next campaign we were able to add the Carling Cup with victory over Arsenal in Cardiff, and the FA Cup when United were beaten again in the first senior game at the new Wembley.

Mourinho departed by mutual consent in September 2007, going on to develop his already impressive CV by winning the Serie A twice in two years and the Champions League with Inter, before joining Real Madrid in 2010, where he lifted both La Liga and the Copa Del Rey, ending his stay in Spain yesteday.

He brings three coaching staff with him in Rui Faria, Silvino Louro and Jose Morais. Each carries the title of Assistant First Team Coach and will work alongside current first team staff Steve Holland, Christophe Lollichon and Chris Jones.

The new manager will be officially presented in a press conference at Stamford Bridge on Monday 10 June, further details of which will follow in due course.

:D:D

IT IS CONFIRMED ON SSN!!! THE SPECIAL ONE IS BACK!!! YES!!!

José Mourinho signs a 4 year contract. Presented in a news conference a week from today! The Special One Is Back!!! YES!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

IT IS CONFIRMED ON SSN!!! THE SPECIAL ONE IS BACK!!! YES!!!

José Mourinho signs a 4 year contract. Presented in a news conference a week from today! The Special One Is Back!!! YES!!!

DADDY'S HOME!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

On a really nice sunny afternoon , I'm sat inside glued to sky sports news WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Anyone tracking changes to odds of Chelsea winning the league next year based on the announcement?

He's never been replaced. There's always been the shadow of Mourinho over the club. Only last season did we begin to see the break up of the core which he put in place way back in 2004. A special manager, one of the very few who can guarantee success. A personality loved by all at Chelsea. Combined with the impressive squad at Chelsea right now and a couple of signings and this might be Chelsea's best ever opportunity to establish a reign of dominance in the Premiet League.

• Advertisement

abelard wrote: »
    Anyone tracking changes to odds of Chelsea winning the league next year based on the announcement?

No change. 5/2 still available in most places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

He's never been replaced. There's always been the shadow of Mourinho over the club. Only last season did we begin to see the break up of the core which he put in place way back in 2004. A special manager, one of the very few who can guarantee success. A personality loved by all at Chelsea. Combined with the impressive squad at Chelsea right now and a couple of signings and this might be Chelsea's best ever opportunity to establish a reign of dominance in the Premiet League.

He wasn't exactly a success at Real Madrid. He won the league just once. In what is unquestionably a 2 team league.

kraggy wrote: »
    He wasn't exactly a success at Real Madrid. He won the league just once. In what is unquestionably a 2 team league.

And beat arguably the greatest club side ever to the title last year , there a quite a few very good sides in the Spanish league , semi final of the champions league this year

I can't really understand how anybody can say he's not successful given his trophy haul over the last decade. Welcome home Jose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

peteeeed wrote: »
    And beat arguably the greatest club side ever to the title last year , there a quite a few very good sides in the Spanish league , semi final of the champions league this year

Semi Final last year aswell.

kraggy wrote: »

People have been talking down his time at Madrid but to win the league and break the monopoly of, arguably thre greatest team ever (undoubtedly the strongest team in Barcelona's history) while breaking the record for most points in the league and goals scored (and he only lost out on the Champions League that season on penalties) was a special achievement.

Of course though managing Madrid is so tough and player power proved too powerful. At Chelsea that is not an issue and at Chelsea he has the full backing of the fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

Any doubts people have over the quality of his football haven't been watching Madrid over the last number of years. I think Chelsea and City will slug it out for the league next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

Delighted The Special One is back, but think the sale of Luiz is premature, he should be given a season to fully convert to a defensive midfielder.

Moyes vs Mourinho for the title next season! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Pedalstool wrote: »
    Any doubts people have over the quality of his football haven't been watching Madrid over the last number of years. I think Chelsea and City will slug it out for the league next year.

The stakes have been raised .
    I said in the Utd thread a month ago that Utd would do well to finish second next season and I was ridiculed .
    Utd will never win a league as easily as they did this season .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

The stakes have been raised .
    I said in the Utd thread a month ago that Utd would do well to finish second next season and I was ridiculed .
    Utd will never win a league as easily as they did this season .

On the face of it appointing Moyes, in contrast to Pellegrini and Mourinho, seems very risky. We might all be wrong but I wouldn't back Utd to finish above Chelsea or City.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

He's coming home he's coming home Jose coming home

This is the second coming the book of revelations warned you about it's all blue from here yeeeeeee haaaaaaaaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Lads, what are your thoughts on Mourinho returning in regards to his relationship with Abramovich? It's rare for a sacked manager to return to a club while the same owner/chairman is still there. Do you foresee any problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

peteeeed wrote: »

I'm like a giddy schoolgirl. Looking forward to next season already!

Lads, what are your thoughts on Mourinho returning in regards to his relationship with Abramovich? It's rare for a sacked manager to return to a club while the same owner/chairman is still there. Do you foresee any problems?

Roman has obviously learned his lesson. There was no way in hell Mourinho would have come back unless it was his way and under his terms (especially seeing as he could have gone to several other clubs instead had he wanted to).

The problems may erupt over that can of piss Emenalo. He should be flung out of the club onto his fúcking ear, with his P45 fluttering after him. He is beyond useless and is only an interfering, negative influence.

Apart from that, I perceive no true problems... sort of...

• Advertisement

Amazed nobody posted this yet:

Randy_Marsh_covered_in_ectoplasm.jpg

Chelsea were 5/1 to win the 2013-14 Premier League.

They're now 9/4 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Amazed nobody posted this yet:

Randy_Marsh_covered_in_ectoplasm.jpg
    jose_ap_2579758b.jpg

Enjoyable interview with Mourinho on Chelsea TV. He says he is a more rounded coach, that he has learned a lot from his experiences in Italy and Spain.

He's clearly very happy to be back, honestly what a big coup for the club. Absolutely cant wait for pre season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Not a Chelsea fan, I don't even particularly like Chelsea, but I am very glad Mou has come back. Makes for a competitive "top 3" and brings a nice edge back to the league for next year.

Interesting to see the Ins and Outs at Chelsea over the summer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement