Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Delighted to see Jose back.
    Hope he stays a lot longer this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

kleefarr wrote: »
    Delighted to see Jose back.
    Hope he stays a lot longer this time.

He did mention stability a couple of times and seemed to say that he is a different person, that he has achieved the grandslam (Premier League, Serie A and La Liga) and wants a different challenge and then mentioned stability and legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Just imagine Jose could be our fergie!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Interesting quote from his interview.

Mourinho: "I am the same but as a manager. I am same nature but much more mature and ready to stay (at Chelsea) for a long time."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Who in the name of fock is Jose Mourinho?!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Delighted it been confirmed now, the longer it went on the more the seed of doubt was growing in my head.

Plenty of time for him to get the team sorted now too, looking forward the the summer now :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

I thought Abramovich didnt like Mourinhos 'style' of football Isnt that why he got rid last time ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Lads, what are your thoughts on Mourinho returning in regards to his relationship with Abramovich? It's rare for a sacked manager to return to a club while the same owner/chairman is still there. Do you foresee any problems?

I don't see any problem in principle. There's always the returning girlfriend thingy. But in another realm, Steve Jobs came back to Apple and had his real success in his second coming.

I think it's fairly obvious that RA and JM have patched things up. I'd suspect RA has seen something of the error of his ways. Also, JM has recognised some humility in admitting he knows what it's like to lose.

I think Mourinho now has a real opportunity to reinvent himself and to do a kind of Fergie at CFC. 10 years of success anyone?

Interesting quote from his interview.

Mourinho: "I am the same but as a manager. I am same nature but much more mature and ready to stay (at Chelsea) for a long time."

Jose Mk II.

Like it already!

I am pie wrote: »
    Interesting to see the Ins and Outs at Chelsea over the summer.
    After all the speculation, now we can sit back with the popcorn and see how Jose's vision unfolds. And, in face of all the detractors, see who is eager to hook up with JM CFC Mk II.

• Advertisement

He did mention stability a couple of times and seemed to say that he is a different person, that he has achieved the grandslam (Premier League, Serie A and La Liga) and wants a different challenge and then mentioned stability and legacy.

This is very, very reassuring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Fantastic news that Jose is back. His good for Chelsea and the PL.

I hope he gets rid of Torres for starters. It will be interesting to see who he brings in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Always liked JM, I am Glad he is back. Just hope it all works out.
    Interesting times indeed. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18AsO6LlJ6Y

full interview here for those who didn't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

kev1.3s wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18AsO6LlJ6Y

full interview here for those who didn't see it.

Loving the long-term sound of all this, very excited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Rumours that Chelsea have sacked Mourinho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd imagine David Moyes isn't too happy. His job has just gotten an awful lot more difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I am over the moon that Jose is back, but I can't believe anyone would want Luiz to be captain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DryCleanOnly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Avatar changed, bring on the new season. :D

Delighted to hear it confirmed yesterday, made a good bank holiday weekend great.

Talks of Sneijder doing the rounds at the moment, cant see it happening at all though.

I cant wait to win the league next year, August cant come quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

wouldn't want him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

6 years he has been away, wouldn't have guessed that.

Delighted he is back, hope it works out for him.

• Advertisement

justshane wrote: »
    wouldn't want him.

I presume you mean Sneijder, excellent talent but we've enough number 10 type players unless he was to operate deeper, again highly unlikely IMO.
    6 years he has been away, wouldn't have guessed that.

Delighted he is back, hope it works out for him.

At the very least its going to be entertaining anyway.

Can he win the league in his 1st season again, he has a good chance but with changes at top 3 its going to be hard to prdecit exactly what will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Yeah sorry meant Sneijder. He'd just take playing time from our younger imo potentially more talented number 10's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Champions 2013/2014 :D CL semis, LC semis, FAcup winners. That will do nicely. (I hope)

The following 3 seasons we will win everything :pac:

Welcome back Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Does anybody else genuinely feel that Jose will be around for a long time this time?

I mean, everybody knew it was wrong to get rid of him last time, even Roman, and as hasty as he is I don't believe he'd have asked him back if he hadn't realized the error of his ways before and up to now with regard to firing managers.

We have a genuine opportunity to dominate the league for a good while if we play our cards right, surely all parties must know this.

All that, coupled with how Jose talks about the club, leaves me feeling more optimistic than I've ever been.

Mourinho quoted today in the sun ( l know I know) as looking forward to working with luiz amongst others, if true it kinda rubbishe's claims that he's out the door.

• Advertisement

Although he wont give much away in the presser next Monday I assume we'll get a taste of what he'll want to do with the team.

Inter and more so Real played some excellent, quick attacking football under Jose, this current squad has some of those qualities and no doubt he''ll be working to bring in guys to make his way work.

Next year I reckon we've about 6 bankers to start the season as first choice

Cech

Azp CB? CB? Cole

CM? CM?

Oscar Mata Hazard

CF?

I reckon every other position above is up for grabs either by the current squad or guys coming in.

Unless we bring back Courtois, Cech is a banker to play, same can be said for Azp and Cole unless big money replacements are found.
    The trinity shouldnt be dislodged but you'd worry about Oscar out wide.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Although he wont give much away in the presser next Monday I assume we'll get a taste of what he'll want to do with the team.

Inter and more so Real played some excellent, quick attacking football under Jose, this current squad has some of those qualities and no doubt he''ll be working to bring in guys to make his way work.

Next year I reckon we've about 6 bankers to start the season as first choice

Cech

Azp CB? CB? Cole

CM? CM?

Oscar Mata Hazard

CF?

I reckon every other position above is up for grabs either by the current squad or guys coming in.

Unless we bring back Courtois, Cech is a banker to play, same can be said for Azp and Cole unless big money replacements are found.
    The trinity shouldnt be dislodged but you'd worry about Oscar out wide.
    I would worry about Oscar too but only because the other two have slotted in so effortlessly however I believe Oscar has the potential to become better than either of them he has a habit of dropping out of games at times but he has a superb touch and when watching him play for Brazil a fantastic awareness, don't forget Essien either Jose played him quite frequently at Madrid, now that may well be because he was a close alli and all but a fully fit Essien I would have in dm all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I would worry about Oscar too but only because the other two have slotted in so effortlessly however I believe Oscar has the potential to become better than either of them he has a habit of dropping out of games at times but he has a superb touch and when watching him play for Brazil a fantastic awareness, don't forget Essien either Jose played him quite frequently at Madrid, now that may well be because he was a close alli and all but a fully fit Essien I would have in dm all day long.

What were the terms of the loan move? Is Essien due back any time soon? Himself and Ramires behind the three amigos would be a fairly terrifying prospect...

I dont think Oscar is at Mata or Hazards level, Hazard isnt far off Mata but Oscar is someway off both at the moment.

Thats not really a bad thing, hes still very young, younger then Hazard by a couple of months, sure even Mata is young ffs.

I hope Oscar can kick on next season he had a decent first season that got over shadowed by Mata and Hazard, hell had we not had Mata we would say Hazard had a great season.

Onr thing for sure is with those 3 wer're pretty much sorted for attacking players for a good few years.

tigger123 wrote: »
    What were the terms of the loan move? Is Essien due back any time soon? Himself and Ramires behind the three amigos would be a fairly terrifying prospect...

Essien ahs a year left on his current deal and Real played him at RB more so then anywhere else last year.

He wont be a starter in CM next year I'm willing to bet.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Essien wrote: »
    Does anybody else genuinely feel that Jose will be around for a long time this time?

I mean, everybody knew it was wrong to get rid of him last time, even Roman, and as hasty as he is I don't believe he'd have asked him back if he hadn't realized the error of his ways before and up to now with regard to firing managers.

We have a genuine opportunity to dominate the league for a good while if we play our cards right, surely all parties must know this.
    Anything is possible but expecting it rather than hoping for it would be letting the heart rule the head. I haven’t seen a whole lot to suggest that either Abramovich or Mourinho have changed a whole lot since their last break-up. Abramovich still holds absolute power at Chelsea; he hasn’t become any more patient and he hasn’t become any less insistent that Chelsea play the way he desires. Mourinho meanwhile doesn’t appear to have mellowed much and has routinely displayed itchy feet after 2-3 years at a club. It’s easy to say (and to genuinely believe) that you want to stay for years on your first day back; it’s all optimism, hero worship and welcome backs then, with all the problems of the past forgotten. It’s a lot more difficult to keep the lustre on after a year or two.

The old adage about never going back is often true, and this is a certainly a risk. Nostalgia is a funny thing; it softens the focus – maybe not for the Chelsea fans, but that was never the issue, was it? It’s about whether two massive personalities can co-exist peacefully at Stamford Bridge.

At any rate, with all the changes in the PL this summer, next season promises to be one of the most interesting in a long time.

I dont expect Jose to sweep all before him but certainly his return season looks easier then his 1st season when you had Arsenal coming off the back off their unbeatable season and Utd adding to try and over turn Arsenal.

Sky interveiwed a Chelsea fan yesterday who said he wasnt sure about his return and that coming back is always difficult, agreed with him up to that point then he mentioned Kenny's return at Anfield.

Now without knowing the exact time frame kenny wasnt working in management before he came back to Liverpool and he certainly wasnt only 6 years out of the Liverpool job prior to his comeback, struck me as a strange comparisson TBH.

Its hard to say without waiting, to know how this will turn out.

Will he pull together a dynasty or will he up sticks after 3 years, only time will tell but at the moment its a very positive sign of intent from the club.

GavRedKing wrote: »

Doesn't seem too bad? More like insider gambling than any of the match fixing or anything like that...

Oh ya, agreed, but still fairly stupid from a young guy with a potentially very good career ahead of him.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Don't understand this, if true.

He's a good player but doubt he would come cheap and can't see how he would be an improvement on what we have.

Sky odds are mad at the best of times.

I cant see him joining us, hes not miles better then what we already have.

I rather we kept Lukaku and played him, if not bring in a top drawer striker and off load Ba or Torres.

In our current system of 1 CF we dont need 4 or 5 options, as long as the 3 we have are good we'll be ok.

I don't understand it much either to be honest, he's a solid player but I assumed if a CF was to be signed it would be a big one. I hope this means Ba will be moved on tbh, I'd rate Dzeko above him so that would be an improvement and would keep us with 3 strikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Dunno what to make of it. I'd take him over Ba any day of the week, really like watching him. That said, I'd prefer Lukaku above both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Yeah, I saw that silly boll*x "fan" talking yesterday about Kenny Dalglish coming back to Liverpool. There's a whale of a difference there, sunshine. Mourinho is after having massive success at Inter and lesser success (but success nonetheless) at Madrid.

What had Dalglish done in his interim time between Liverpool posts? Won the league with Blackburn (only just, too) and a Scottish League Cup with Celtic and that's about it. There was also a 20 year gap between managing Liverpool for the 1st and 2nd stint.

That was one of the worst comparisons I've ever heard in my life. There were way too many differences between the two situations. The only similarity I'd have had was that it was two legends coming back to clubs that they loved and that loved them. After that, very little similarity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

DazMarz wrote: »
    Yeah, I saw that silly boll*x "fan" talking yesterday about Kenny Dalglish coming back to Liverpool. There's a whale of a difference there, sunshine. Mourinho is after having massive success at Inter and lesser success (but success nonetheless) at Madrid.

What had Dalglish done in his interim time between Liverpool posts? Won the league with Blackburn (only just, too) and a Scottish League Cup with Celtic and that's about it. There was also a 20 year gap between managing Liverpool for the 1st and 2nd stint.

That was one of the worst comparisons I've ever heard in my life. There were way too many differences between the two situations. The only similarity I'd have had was that it was two legends coming back to clubs that they loved and that loved them. After that, very little similarity.

Mourinho had very little competition at Inter in comparison to Dalglish at Blackburn.

I don't think so. It could be argued he picked up where he left off at Celtic and Newcastle at Liverpool, certainly in terms of the money he threw away at Newcastle and then at Liverpool.

I think there's a comparison to be made there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

dfx- wrote: »
    Mourinho had very little competition at Inter in comparison to Dalglish at Blackburn.

I don't think so. It could be argued he picked up where he left off at Celtic and Newcastle at Liverpool, certainly in terms of the money he threw away at Newcastle and then at Liverpool.

I think there's a comparison to be made there.

Maybe in Italy, but he won the Champions League with Inter too. En route to the final beating the likes of Chelsea, Barcelona and Bayern in the final itself. Hardly "very little competition" there. Especially considering Chelsea were flying high under Ancelotti at the time and Barcelona had all of their lads at their prime. Fair enough, Bojan had a goal disallowed for offside that was not offside and that would have seen Barcelona through, but that is neither here nor there. Mourinho's success in Italy aside, that European success was awesome.

I'll admit that Dalglish threw money away during his tenure at Liverpool. But the same can surely not be said for Mourinho? Most of the players he bought were not actually bought by him (Shevchenko being case and point). Even some of the "flops" he bought pale in comparison to some of the stockings of piss that Dalglish brought to Liverpool.

There might be a slight comparison to be made, but there are also so many differences that I think it is a fallacy. Mourinho is coming back to a team with 3 of the most exciting prospects in world football in place (Mata, Hazard and Oscar for anyone who might not know), Chelsea's squad now that he is coming back to is far stronger than the squad Dalglish had to work with, Dalglish was not a modern manager when he came back to Liverpool and his tactical nous was badly exposed several times, Mourinho is (in spite of his time at Real; that was mostly due to outward interference and player power at Madrid) a tactical master (his time at Porto, Chelsea and Inter will attest to this), Mourinho will be given a warchest in the summer and he will spend his way and he will spend wisely (there will be no repeat episodes with Shevchenko-esque buys this time), Dalglish spent disproportionately poorly during his tenure at Liverpool the second time around (Carroll, Henderson and Downing costing a combined £70,000,000; yes he bought Suarez, but that can't gloss over the fact that he pissed away seventy million on average players).

All said and done, I'm going to undergo a sex change and leave the country before the Liverpool fans track me down... Adíos. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Cavani Di Rossi/Fernandinho Jovetic Mangala we'd be laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Richard Keys just tweeted that Hulk is Chelsea bound. I didn't even know he was on your radar this window.

Opr

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement