Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Cavani first choice with Lukaku as back up and Ba or Torres third choice would be brilliant. There's enough games in the season and things like injuries and suspensions for at least two of those to get a lot of game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

seen on SSN we've released Turnbull, who is going to be the new number 2 to cech? Blackman definitely isn't good enough yet!
    And we better not let KDB go, another good player I thought we should if kept but sold was stoch

I'd take Given or Schwarzer for the season until Courtois is around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Schwarzer would be perfect for a season. I'd have him over Given as backup. Schwarzer is a fine keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

I get what you two are saying, but both Schwarzer and Given left their clubs because they wanted to play games. Although the prospect of being at a top club would be tempting, they're both coming to the end of their careers and I don't see them changing their minds.

Legion. wrote: »
    I get what you two are saying, but both Schwarzer and Given left their clubs because they wanted to play games. Although the prospect of being at a top club would be tempting, they're both coming to the end of their careers and I don't see them changing their minds.

Roman has a few reasons to change anyones mind........£££££££££.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Lukaku staying at Chelsea this season.

With Lukaku staying thats brilliant news, now if we sign Cavani, Ba or Torres have to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

ChelsTransferGossip @ChelsTransfer
    According to Le Parisién, Edinson Cavani has agreed to join Chelsea on a 5 year deal after the €63m release clause was activated

Time will tell I suppose!
    If that's true and it's an all-cash deal, we'll need to be selling pretty big in order to buy for other positions.

If there was a swop as part of the deal and it was Torres, we'd come out all ends up! However I'd be less happy if the deal was part-funded by Courtois, as was intimated in two reports a day ago.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-08/napoli-rejects-chelsea-bid-for-striker-cavani-daily-mail-says.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2337693/Chelsea-make-second-bid-Edinson-Cavani.html

Aintgotnohistory disparagingly noted mention of Ramires in part-exchange. If CFC are serious about Cavani, that's a swop I'd jump at.

Nah we need Ramires IMO and so does Jose unless hes bringing in another CM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Said it before, and I'll say it again... Ba has to go. He is simply not good enough and offers nothing. At least Torres has cropped up with a few goals now and then and would be an ideal backup for Lukaku and whomever else (Cavani most likely if the news and tabloids are to be believed). Torres, for all his lack of goals, is actually brilliant at link-up play and setting up goals. I've yet to see Ba do anything (the couple of spectacular goals in the FA Cup notwishstanding).

If anyone is to go in the summer, the only candidate I'd put forward is Ba. He was a panic buy when Chelsea needed a striker and he has not performed at all.

While it may not exactly be something you'd shout from the rooftops, I would like to remind everyone that without Fernando Torres, there is a very good chance that Chelsea would not have won the Europa League. He scored some crucial goals in that competition and I feel he deserves at least one more season at Chelsea, if only to be a backup for Lukaku and whomever else Chelsea have as a striking option.

On all other fronts, the squad itself is pretty solid, with only some minor tweaks and upgrades needed (central defence and central midfield being them). We would also do worse than getting a decent No. 2 goalkeeper. Schwartzer and Given have been mentioned. Give them a year there, sure. They'd be brilliant if called upon, I reckon.

Other than that, we should just sit back and let the Special One weave his own particular brand of infectious magic with the squad. I hope Manchester have the silver polish in stock, because I want that Premier League trophy sparkling when she comes to London next May :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Would totally agree with the above, Ba would be my first choice out the door. Adding to above, Torres will also offer a completely different dimension to Cavani and Lukaku and, unlike Ba imo, could also work as a 2nd striker with either of these...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

SSN are saying courtois has confirmed he is going to play at atletico on loan again next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If Cavani comes in, Lukaku is 3rd choice.
    If I was him in that situation, I'd be asking for another loan out.
    He's already proven he can cut it in the Premiership, why should he have to settle for the odd appearance for Chelsea when he can get regular game time elsewhere?
    Keep Torres, and Lukaku. If Ba wants to stay on, grand. He should be put 3rd choice behind the other 2.Better still, sell on Ba and enter..but of course...Piazon.

Killinator wrote: »
    SSN are saying courtois has confirmed he is going to play at atletico on loan again next season

So long as it's just a loan that's fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

How well do you know your José? I got 7 out of 8.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/quiz/2013/jun/09/jose-mourinho-quiz

7 for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

6 i'm quite special :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

DazMarz wrote: »
    Said it before, and I'll say it again... Ba has to go. He is simply not good enough and offers nothing. At least Torres has cropped up with a few goals now and then and would be an ideal backup for Lukaku and whomever else (Cavani most likely if the news and tabloids are to be believed). Torres, for all his lack of goals, is actually brilliant at link-up play and setting up goals. I've yet to see Ba do anything (the couple of spectacular goals in the FA Cup notwishstanding).

If anyone is to go in the summer, the only candidate I'd put forward is Ba. He was a panic buy when Chelsea needed a striker and he has not performed at all.

While it may not exactly be something you'd shout from the rooftops, I would like to remind everyone that without Fernando Torres, there is a very good chance that Chelsea would not have won the Europa League. He scored some crucial goals in that competition and I feel he deserves at least one more season at Chelsea, if only to be a backup for Lukaku and whomever else Chelsea have as a striking option.

On all other fronts, the squad itself is pretty solid, with only some minor tweaks and upgrades needed (central defence and central midfield being them). We would also do worse than getting a decent No. 2 goalkeeper. Schwartzer and Given have been mentioned. Give them a year there, sure. They'd be brilliant if called upon, I reckon.

Other than that, we should just sit back and let the Special One weave his own particular brand of infectious magic with the squad. I hope Manchester have the silver polish in stock, because I want that Premier League trophy sparkling when she comes to London next May :D

Don't worry Jose still has a heap of it left from his time at Madrid im sure he has brought it with him...for the life of me i don't know why :p

Panthro took the Jose test...
    You scored 8 out of a possible 8

You are the special one

A3Aor4oCQAE9D0a.jpg:large

:pac:

Keep the EPL, I want the UCL again.

Multiple time winners would be a great achievement for the club.

• Advertisement

The one trophy I wanted more than any other trophy was the Champions League. I seriously doubted that a team containing Terry, Lampard and Cech would win it. All the times the team had come so close and yet so far. It was agonising. In the period 2004-2011, there were times when Chelsea should have won it, and probably deserved to win it (and I hate saying a team "deserved" anything; you either do it on merit or you don't get it).

Then, in the one year where they were the most unlikely of winners, the one year in the Abramovich era where they were most undeserving of being crowned European Champions, they go and win it.

Now that the monkey is off the back about the European prize, focus must shift back to the League. It will be 4 years since Chelsea last lifted the domestic title come the end of next season. Players like Torres, Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Luiz, Ramires, Cahill and Azpilicueta will all be hungry for domestic success (having all tasted some measure of European success in their time at Chelsea). Winning the League should be the priority this season (as it SHOULD be all seasons, but in the past, Chelsea obviously prioritised European success; this prioritisation of European success has arguably cost many a Chelsea manager their job).

Next season, it will be a 3-way dogfight for the League. Chelsea and the two Manchester clubs will be the ones slugging it out for it. They will, no doubt, comprise the Top 3 come May. In what order, remains to be seen. A lot hinges on how the new managers in Manchester slot into their respective clubs. I think Mourinho has an easier job that Moyes and Pellegrini (?) ahead of him. He knows this club and (some of) the players really well and the fans will love him no matter what happens. Moyes and Pellegrini have a more start from scratch job ahead of them.

A hare-brained theory of mine: Arsenal to seriously challenge this season. At no other time in the past 8 or so years has there ever been a more genuine opportunity for Arsenal to mount a serious challenge. Managerial upheaval in a lot of rival clubs and if they spend right in the summer... they could capitalise. But they almost invariably fail to spend and this is their downfall. But should Arsenal spend right in the summer and if they take proper advantage of changes at all the title rival clubs, they could capitalise. But I don't think they will, but it is a possibility.

As much as a Champions League would be a perfect way for The Special One to announce a triumphant return to the Bridge, I think that it is just a bridge (;) ) too far this season, unfortunately. I don't think, barring a run of luck akin to the run in 2012, that Chelsea are simply good enough to knock off the likes of Bayern Munich this season.

I reckon a more fitting way to assert his return would be to do in his first season back at the club what he did in his first ever season at the club; win the League. Possibly do another Double with the FA Cup. Give all the "new boys" a taste of proper domestic success and then re-strengthen in the close season next year to launch a proper assault on Europe.

Whatever happens from August to May next season, there is one thing that can be said: it will be very interesting and exciting.

Joses return in some way will be judged on his European success, IMO.

We know he can win the league and the domestic cups with Chelsea, hes done so in the past but the UCL will be huge test of Joses ability with this squad.

Bayern are the stand out team in European football right now and theyre bringing in Pep and Gotze, thats only going to add to Bayerns brilliant talent pool.

If we have a decent run in Europe and have some luck we can beat anyone, we've shown that previously, I'd love to be lifting the EPL come May, I'd assume its what the majority of fans want more then anything right now is some domestic success.

Of course European success is a huge yardstick. I reckon Chelsea will do quarter-finals, possibly semi-finals, this season (depending on group and who is the opponent in the Round of 16). The only team I would genuinely, hand-on-heart, 100% FEAR to get is Bayern Munich. Not saying that other teams in Europe wouldn't beat Chelsea, but I would not fear any other team. I would fear Bayern Munich. They seem to be sweeping all before them.

If Chelsea avoid Bayern, there's a good chance of getting to the business end of the competition. That said, the likes of Real, Barca, Dortmund, Juve, AC, United, City, Spurs (:D), PSG and so on would be very dangerous opponents who I would not relish. But I wouldn't out and out fear them. I'd fancy Chelsea's chances against them over two legs, but not Bayern. Any team who can beat Bayern over two legs at the business end of the Champions League this year will probably be the team that ends up winning the Champions League. (Unless Bayern trounce them and win the thing themselves)

On the domestic front, the old rivalries will rear their heads again. The big games for Chelsea are obviously the ones against United, City, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool. Those games where those teams play each other will define the season.

In the 09/10 Season (Chelsea's last title-winning season), they beat United, Liverpool and Arsenal home and away (the previous season's top 4). Chelsea also beat Spurs at home and drew in WHL. City created their "bogey-team" hoodoo over Chelsea that season with wins against Chelsea in the Etihad and Stamford Bridge (the only team to beat Chelsea home and away that season).

A similar performance against the title-challengers will be needed next season. Wins at home against the bigger sides are crucial.

1006129_553274634731456_1307041340_n.jpg
    xqefEH.jpg

Nordsjaelland defender Jores Okore has revealed that he turned down the chance to join Chelsea in January. He said: "I chose to turn it down as it did not fit the strategy I have for my future. My biggest wish is to play first team football and that was not something that was on the cards."

by Chris Burton
    3:33 PM

Good News! http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8767124/Transfer-news-Kevin-De-Bruyne-part-of-Chelsea-s-future-plans
    Kevin De Bruyne is part of Jose Mourinho's plans at Chelsea, according to Bayer Leverkusen general manager Michael Reschke.

The Belgium international is yet to make a competitive appearance for the Blues since signing from Genk in January 2012.

He has spent much of the past 18 months out on loan, at Genk and then Bundesliga outfit Werder Bremen.

A return to Germany in 2013/14 had been widely touted, with Leverkusen among those to have expressed an interest in the 21-year-old playmaker.

They had been hoping to include De Bruyne as part of a proposed deal which will take Andre Schurrle to Stamford Bridge.

Leverkusen have, however, been informed that that youngster is not available as Mourinho intends to unleash him on the Premier League next season.

Reschke told Bild: "At a meeting on Wednesday in Leipzig, Chelsea and Jose Mourinho made it clear that Kevin returns to Chelsea.

"It was not possible to connect it with the Andre Schurrle transfer."

Not much to go on but sounds positive to me.

I'd love to see De Brunye and Lukaku involved next season.

We Aint Got No History (I propose we shorten it to WAGNH from now on!) are saying that the U21's will be playing a game in New York on 17th July.
    I could be in NY that day...wonder how much a ticket will cost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Nordsjaelland defender Jores Okore has revealed that he turned down the chance to join Chelsea in January. He said: "I chose to turn it down as it did not fit the strategy I have for my future. My biggest wish is to play first team football and that was not something that was on the cards."

by Chris Burton
    Strongly linked with Villa now.

• Advertisement

by Chris Burton

If a guy who gets the chance to join us and then turns it down because he wants to play 1st team football shows how much confidence he has in his ability to be able to command a starting spot.

No need or time for it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

So is this a sticky situation, should Moses go to the toffees's would we miss him?

http://efcfeelinblue.com/another-victor-in-the-everton-attack/

Hard to say I think, season disrupted by the ACN. Scored a few goals in the Thursday Cup but the quality of opposition not a patch on the premier league or of course Champions League. Only young so might come good but for a player used to the premier league not a great first season.

So is this a sticky situation, should Moses go to the toffees's would we miss him?

Hard to say I think, season disrupted by the ACN. Scored a few goals in the Thursday Cup but the quality of opposition not a patch on the premier league or of course Champions League. Only young so might come good but for a player used to the premier league not a great first season.

IF we're bringing back KdB and bringing in Schurrle too then I would see playing time to be very limited for him anyway. I wouldn't be worried either way if he stays or goes.

A reporter on Twitter last night said that Lewandoski was after signing a deal with Nike to wear their boots and that all but ruled out a deal to join Bayern who are nearly exclusively Adidas. Seems like a load of balls though.

Dortmund would rather sell to anyone else other then Bayern and I'd assume theyed want to do it now rather then wait until next year when Bayern could come in and get him for free.

I'd bring back De Bruyne, dont go after Schurrle and keep Moses, he offers us balance on the right and is decent option.

IMO, if we bring back KDB and get a CF, we shouldnt go after Schurrle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

~In agreement with the lads above, if we get KdeB back then it will would be extremely difficult for Moses to get game time.

Moses is another of those players who has been playing fantastic before Chelsea sign them and it's almost as if they lose 50% of their ability the second they sign the dotted line.

I think we're just jinxed :pac:

• Advertisement

Jose press conference at 1:30 today.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/jose-set-for-chelsea-unveiling-29332823.html
    But Mourinho appears to have already decided Romelu Lukaku and Kevin De Bruyne will be part of his thinking after telling both they will not be allowed to go back out on loan.

Lukaku, who impressed at West Brom, said this week: "I have had a good conversation with Jose Mourinho, and I know it's up to me to show I'm worth a place. I always said my ambition was to play for Chelsea, and now I will go back to Stamford Bridge and play even more games than I did at West Brom."

This is very weird.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8768815/Transfer-news-Partizan-Belgrade-claim-Lazar-Markovic-belongs-to-Chelsea
    Partizan Belgrade youngster Lazar Markovic is in Lisbon to have a medical with Benfica, however, it is claimed that he will be moving on loan from Chelsea and not the Serbian champions.

And while Markovic does appear set to sign for Benfica, according to Partizan president Dragan Djuric it will actually be via Chelsea

Good old TSO really got under Barca's skin I think. It is quite surprising (not) that neither of them mentioned the fantastic ability of Barca players to dive, the great help they seem to have got from referee's over the years and how sporting they were to turn on the sprinklers when Inter beat them in the Champions League semi (perhaps that was what Xavi was referring to when he mentioned dry pitches though). I really can't wait until we get them they are what is wrong with football at the top end by and large.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/real-madrid/news/xavi-critical-of-jose-mourinhos-tactics_88200.html

http://www.teamtalk.com/chelsea/8768706/Barcelona-star-Andres-Iniesta-accuses-Jose-Mourinho-of-damaging-football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Everyone ready ?

Gonna miss the presser. :o

Hoping to have a full transcript to read soon after it.

This is just so exciting.

Yea I know I am sad but it really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The Happy One, like that. It's just great to see him back.

The answer to the question about did he hear what some Barca players said about him was just left hanging "I heard it ... I heard it" at the end of the answer oh the grudge is there excellent.

Nice to hear him talk about lukaku and de bryne

Press conference over , some good quotes , he wants to start working with all the players , knowing them and giving them all a chance before he signs new players , a couple of signings is normal at a big club .
    He looks eager to get going

Is De Bruyne a winger or central midfielder?He's refereed to as different in some places.

Is De Bruyne a winger or central midfielder?He's refereed to as different in some places.

He's played a lot of different positions for Werder Bremen. Winger, attacking midfield, central midfield and even occasionally as a false 9. Personally I can't see him breaking into the attacking 3, but I do think he'd be a perfect central midfield, an area where we really are quite weak in terms of having a playing who can dictate the tempo of a game. He has an excellent range of passing, good decision making and a great awareness of what is going on around him.

It's great that Mourinho is bringing him back, I really thought he was one who we would miss out on. It's even better that he is bringing Lukaku into the squad, what a force to have. The early part of Mourinho's last stint as Chelsea manager he had a lot of strikers with a lot of different qualities, in Torres, Ba and Lukaku he has 3 strikers with different qualities to suit him for different games, if he adds Cavani to that (and loses one of Ba or Torres) then all the better.

It was also great to hear him talk about stability, it was one of his main points in the press conference. He feels that the squad needs stability, that improvement of young players comes from working a manager over a long period of time, he also feels that at this stage in his career he wants stability, mentioning that he wants to do the full 4 year contract and if possible even more. The other main point was about how happy he is to be back at the club, indeed today he was "the happy one"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

It was like as if Maureen swallowed a love novel before that press conference.

Cringeworthy stuff.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement