Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If the deal is correct, £49.3 Million STG , yes its big money but we'll be buying a safer option then a Torres or Shevchenko.

Id be woried if I was Torres or Ba though theyll need big preseasons to prove their worth keeping.

I honestly think while its a huge investment the guy is right in the top drawer of strikers, i just hope we dont lose Ramires as a result of the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

BNjiwykCUAAW_pq.jpg:large

As long as we dont buy Rooney and finance any potential Cavani - Utd transfer I wouldnt be to bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Kess73 wrote: »
    Radio Marte have mentioned it a few times, and that report has been repeated on 90Elf.

Will be some serious red faces at Radio Marte if they got it wrong given their ties with the footballclub.

http://football-italia.net/35705/report-chelsea-%E2%82%AC58m-cavani-deal

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10140249/Chelsea-agree-49.3-million-deal-for-Napoli-striker-Edinson-Cavani-to-see-off-Manchester-City-challenge.html

• Advertisement

His reported wages of 7.2 million a year is about 140K a week, thats without taking into account his image rights.

I just wonder will Napoli and Rafa want to take Torres from us, I'm not sure that theyed sell Cavani for 49 million and give us 15ish for Torres whos also on big money with us and a Rafa favourite.

Actually thought Nando was on more than that. Wouldn't mind him going to OT as that would by and large blow the transfer budget there bit like Naymer at Barca so any further decent signings may be dependent on sales and there is not too much at OT that will generate big money. I really hope Rooney does not end up at the Bridge, good player but best days may be behind him.

I still wonder if we are price bait for Cavani to bump up RM price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Possibly Nando's being used as a pot sweetener by an agreement to let him go to Napoli for little or nothing (under £10m for example), in order to get Cavani.

The loss on the previous Torres deal for £50m would be monumental, but strangely would be drowned out by the noise of us getting Cavani.

Cavani, Lukaku, Ba. There has to be a better third option than Ba. Either a deal on a new striker before the new season starts, or are any of the youth strikers ready for the big time yet?

Nando is on a reported 175k a week and he owns his own image rights.

Only Hazard gets more money then Nando.

I'd rather get rid of Ba then Torres TBH but it all depends on Jose.

I think if we kept Torres, Lukkau and Cavani we'd be laughing but then all 3 will want to make sure they're 1st choice to stand a chance of playing in the WC.

At the moment only Cavani would be a starter for his country, Benteke is starting ahead of Lukku for Belgium and Soldado is starting ahead of Torres/Villa for Spain.

In saying that I think Uruguay may have to rely on a playoff to get the WC anyway so even Cavani isnt 100% to make Brazil 2014.

Speaking of silly season and absurd rumours, Demba Ba to Leicester on loan anyone?

:pac:

• Advertisement

good to see savillle (brentford) and kane(blackburn) on loan for next season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

What about the other 50m striker there, Torres ?
    Hope Cavani turns out better than he did

What about the other 50m striker there, Torres ?
    Hope Cavani turns out better than he did

If Cavani wins the same amount as Torres in a similar time scale I'm sure he wont care how it turns out, also, I'd be very confident no matter where Cavani ends up he'll end up banging in the goals.

Well done to Carlo on joining Real Madrid, great manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

942327_10151699265732259_1584048726_n.jpg

He has signed a five-year contract and will wear the No.14 shirt.

That was KDB's number. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

GavRedKing wrote: »
    That was KDB's number. :eek:

Pre-season only though, im sure he wont have been too attached!

LanceStorm wrote: »
    Pre-season only though, im sure he wont have been too attached!

Still, I hope he was at least asked to give it up. :pac:

Curent free numbers in the squad :

5 (Essiens number), 15, 16, 18(Lukakus number) 19, 20(Josh Mac's number), 23, 27, 30-33, 35 onwards.

KDB to take 16
    Cavani to take 21 when Marin goes or 7/9 if Ramries/Torres gets sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Hope his skills are as snappy as his dress code!

• Advertisement

My God Schurrle watched every Chelsea game last season ...................... and he still wants to join

Always thought TSHO was a magnet now we know how strong.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/216211.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10143118/Juan-Mata-I-am-not-leaving-Chelsea.html
    Juan Mata: I AM NOT LEAVING CHELSEA

Spain midfielder Juan Mata has reiterated his commitment to Chelsea and insisted his only thoughts for the immediate future are about succeeding at Stamford Bridge.

juan-mata_2600387b.jpg

In an interview with AS, the 25 year-old declared his bewilderment over reports that he was set to leave Chelsea this summer, and spoke of how much he enjoys playing in the Premier League and living in London.

"I don't know where that came from," he said. "The last time I spoke with the club they told me I was a very important player to them and transmitted confidence in me.

Mata was raised at Real Madrid's academy before establishing himself at Valencia, and was coy on the subject of a possible return to the Bernabeu in the future.

Asked if a return to the Spanish giants was a challenge he had set himself, he said: "I only have good words for Real Madrid. I was there for four years and they brought me up, both as a player and a person.

"I have many friends there and I'm very grateful to the club. But I've spent two great years in London and the only thing I'm thinking about now is continuing to enjoy this league and this city that I love."

"I'm sure (new manager Jose) Mourinho will want to see everyone first and then decide what he wants to do."

Mata was careful about commenting on his new boss before they meet, but expressed confidence they will have a good working relationship.

He said: "You have to know people first before you can evaluate them. After the holidays and after I've rested I'll meet the new boss and I'm sure things will go well."

This confirms what most of us already knew about Mata not going anywhere.

Mata does seem to genuinely love London, he's a proper role model and has always conducted himself with class on and off the pitch. He's well on his way to becoming a Chelsea legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Well done to Carlo on joining Real Madrid, great manager.

Top Bloke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Johner wrote: »
    This confirms what most of us already knew about Mata not going anywhere.

Mata does seem to genuinely love London, he's a proper role model and has always conducted himself with class on and off the pitch. He's well on his way to becoming a Chelsea legend.

Damn right, I never really believed it anyway, some rags were saying he was going to Barça !!!

As if !!

So the fee for Bruma to PSV is being reported as 3 million euro with a buy back clause

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

My God Schurrle watched every Chelsea game last season ...................... and he still wants to join

Always thought TSHO was a magnet now we know how strong.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/216211.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Seems like a nice lad, can't get much better than a player already being a fan of the club really. Hope we see that enthusiasm on the pitch !

peteeeed wrote: »
    So the fee for Bruma to PSV is being reported as 3 million euro with a buy back clause

Never really panned out for Bruma. Don't see us needing the clause, but I guess you never know.. centre-backs tend to only improve with experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Still not sure why we have signed Schurrle tbh

Still not sure why we have signed Schurrle tbh

Improvement on Marin and Yossi who will both be leaving in somway or another and Moses could be off on loan somewhere.

We've great options now and the trinity arent as safe as they once were, I'd rather have a bench with players like Schurrle or KDB or Oscar coming off then Yossi or Marin every day of the week.

If anything Oscar could be in trouble of losing out but Jose could easily shift him back to CM and partner him with Ramires.

I'd love to see for next year :

Cech

Azp Luiz Jt Cole

Oscar Ramries

Hazard Mata Schurrle

Lukaku

Bench:
    Blackman
    Ivanovic
    Cahill
    Lamps
    KDB
    Ba
    Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Improvement on Marin and Yossi who will both be leaving in somway or another and Moses could be off on loan somewhere.

We've great options now and the trinity arent as safe as they once were, I'd rather have a bench with players like Schurrle or KDB or Oscar coming off then Yossi or Marin every day of the week.

If anything Oscar could be in trouble of losing out but Jose could easily shift him back to CM and partner him with Ramires.

Cech

Azp Luiz Jt Cole

Oscar Ramries

Hazard Mata Schurrle

Lukaku

Bench:
    Blackman
    Ivanovic
    Cahill
    Lamps
    KDB
    Ba
    Torres

That would be a great attacking team, though I think Lukaku is still too raw, doesn't quite have the required composure to go along with his physical attributes just yet I always feel like he opts for pure power rather then really seeing where the gap in the goal is. He scored some great goals last season, but whenever I watched him for 90 minutes, he tended to waste a lot of opportunities by trying brute force instead of finesse. Is that CM strong enough too? I really rate Ramires, but that looks like leaving him with an awful lot of work to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Cech

Azp Luiz Jt Cole

Oscar Ramries

Hazard Mata Schurrle

Lukaku

Bench:
    Blackman
    Ivanovic
    Cahill
    Lamps
    KDB
    Ba
    Torres
    I'd drop rambo, push Luiz in to cm and then put ivan in at cb

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    That would be a great attacking team, though I think Lukaku is still too raw, doesn't quite have the required composure to go along with his physical attributes just yet I always feel like he opts for pure power rather then really seeing where the gap in the goal is. He scored some great goals last season, but whenever I watched him for 90 minutes, he tended to waste a lot of opportunities by trying brute force instead of finesse. Is that CM strong enough too? I really rate Ramires, but that looks like leaving him with an awful lot of work to do.

Its hard to guess, at the moment 3 positions are up for debate.

1) Who'll partner Luiz at CB
    2) Who'll partner Ramires
    3) Who'll start upfront

I reckon JT will get the CB position.

I think I read a stat from Opta that Oscar made the most amount of succesful tackles for us last season, albeit from RW but he could play CM, although I agree, it would leave Ramries awful busy as I think CM in the EPL is an acquired position to play.

Lukkau upfront, again agree, the guy is still young and sometimes picks the wrong options but if we sign Cavani it will be clear cut who will start upfront, I just didnt put him in the team as he isnt a Chelsea player at the moment. :pac:

If we dont sign Cavani then its either Lukaku for his physical attributes or Torres for his overall contribution to the team and build up, no Ba please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

duploelabs wrote: »

I'd be inclined to agree, Luiz really comes into his own in that role. I don't mind in principal buying Cavani but I really wouldn't want us to spend any more than 35-40 million on him, in my opinion he's not a 50+ striker!

duploelabs wrote: »
    kev1.3s wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to agree, Luiz really comes into his own in that role. I don't mind in principal buying Cavani but I really wouldn't want us to spend any more than 35-40 million on him, in my opinion he's not a 50+ striker!

The other alternative is to drop Oscar if Luiz gets pushed into CM.

I cant see Jose dropping Ramires and Schurrle would bring more natural balance to side and Mata and Hazard wont be dropped.

If Luiz plays CM we'll need another Cb as Ivanovic/Cahill arent good enough IMO.

Cavani will cost less then Torres though in transfer and wages and the guys scoring record is excellent 78 league goals in 104 games for Napoli, his finish agaisnt Brazil last night was very good, although T.Silva gifted him the chance.

Weirdly enough he made mistakes last night, giving away a needless corner that lead to the penalty and the terrible attempted clearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Cavani will cost less then Torres though in transfer and wages and the guys scoring record is excellent 78 league goals in 104 games for Napoli, his finish agaisnt Brazil last night was very good, although T.Silva gifted him the chance.

Weirdly enough he made mistakes last night, giving away a needless corner that lead to the penalty and the terrible attempted clearance.

I know you can't judge someone on having seen them a couple of times but having read some of the reports I've seen about him here and elsewhere and having watched the few games I have he doesn't exactly leave me salivateing at the prospect of his arrival. Imo if we are going to blow a fairly significant portion of the addidas money we have to get it spot on which is something we don't have a superb record with regarding big name strikers.

so whats oscars total amount of games from the olympics right through to the confederations cup?

• Advertisement

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I know you can't judge someone on having seen them a couple of times but having read some of the reports I've seen about him here and elsewhere and having watched the few games I have he doesn't exactly leave me salivateing at the prospect of his arrival. Imo if we are going to blow a fairly significant portion of the addidas money we have to get it spot on which is something we don't have a superb record with regarding big name strikers.

His workrate is second to none, he played RW last night and put ion an excellent shift, tracking Marcelo all night and putting himself about.

I'd love if we signed him anyway.
    peteeeed wrote: »
    so whats oscars total amount of games from the olympics right through to the confederations cup?

By my calcualtion its 74 games with 1 more to play.

His workrate is second to none, he played RW last night and put ion an excellent shift, tracking Marcelo all night and putting himself about.

I'd love if we signed him anyway.

By my calcualtion its 74 games with 1 more to play.

75 , will need a good break after that , probably wont be back with the squad till first week in august

Matas also played an insane amount of games, could be very close to if not more then Oscar, he'll need a break as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

My true blue membership card arrived today - very tasty.

Niiiiiiiiice

• Advertisement

bullpost wrote: »
    My true blue membership card arrived today - very tasty.

hopefully mine will have arrived too :)

I've to pay for mine this month, so much things coming up though, insurance for the car is due, although it came down, concert in Dublin and stag in Galway all within 10 days off each other and throw in an anniversary with the g/f its going to be an expensive month. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Must order mine, although it'll be next month, when do Sky publish the fixtures ?

Was looking to get a deal on Aer Lingus..

3 days only - 50% off Dublin to London Heathrow. spacer.gif As a valued Aer Lingus customer who has previously booked flights to London Heathrow, we’re offering you an exclusive discount of 50% off fares from Dublin to London Heathrow for travel from July right through to next March.

To avail of this discount simply tick the promo code box in the booking area on our homepage and enter the promo code LONDON50. Book by midnight Fri 28 June.

Aer Lingus is the best choice for business travel to London Heathrow, with 13 flights daily from Dublin as well as flexible fares, assigned seating and excellent punctuality.

Discount applies to fare before taxes, charges and admin fee

TV Fixtures wont be up until July 7th or 8th.

Although that 50% is very tempting alright.

I'd nearly take a gamble on the Hull game although Sky could move it to Early morning to open the EPL with Joses return, it will be that or Utd in the morning I expect and whoever gets that, the other will be moved to Sunday as the opening weekend hasnt thrown up any real great games per se.

If ya can manage it I'd book the earliest flight Saturday and come back on the late flight Sunday, meaning you'll get to the game regardless.......unless Sky move it to Monday night which I highly doubt TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Rarely do overnights in London, and won't be doing any in the future unless I get a job, guess it's back to watching for specials with the Airlines.

You wouldn't which way Sky would work the fixtures and now with BT in the mix, could be an evening kick-off ?

Bartyman wrote: »
    Rarely do overnights in London, and won't be doing any in the future unless I get a job, guess it's back to watching for specials with the Airlines.

You wouldn't which way Sky would work the fixtures and now with BT in the mix, could be an evening kick-off ?

thats it, if Sky pass on it BT will surely throw it in as the 5:30 K/O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

thats it, if Sky pass on it BT will surely throw it in as the 5:30 K/O

Sky just announced they are doing a late saturday KO show

KingJamsie wrote: »
    Sky just announced they are doing a late saturday KO show

So they could show 4/5 EPL games a wknd?

12:45 Saturday
    5:30 Saturday

1:00 Sunday
    4:00 Sunday

8:00 Monday

They must be worrying about BT

yeah id love to be there for the Hull game , early saturday kick off would be great , there is no way it wont be live on one of the channels

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement