Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

GavRedKing wrote: »

Is that Carragher in the middle ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

peteeeed wrote: »
    yeah id love to be there for the Hull game , early saturday kick off would be great , there is no way it wont be live on one of the channels

Joses first competitive game back att eh Bridge would be excellent alright.

Be difficult to get tickets I reckon.
    Techless wrote: »
    Is that Carragher in the middle ?

Yup, hes joined Sky Sports team for next season, its an ol djoke but subtitles maybe needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

its the usual cavani/ Lewandowski in the mirror this morning

Plan B: Chelsea will steam in for Lewandowski if Real beat them to Cavani
    Reuters
    Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is ready to switch his sights back to Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski if Edinson Cavani slips through his grasp.

The Londoners still want to land Napoli hitman Cavani, whose future will be addressed properly now his Uruguay side cannot win the Confederations Cup.

Despite initial talks between Chelsea and the Italians, Cavani's desire to move to Real Madrid seems likely to be a decisive factor.

Chelsea are reluctant to come close to the 26-year-old's £53million buy-out clause, but would be willing to give up forward Fernando Torres in part-exchange.

If Real end up winning the battle to land Cavani, Chelsea will launch an all-out attempt to secure the services of in-demand Lewandowski.

While the Poland international, who has 12 months left on his current deal, has not hidden his wish to join Bayern Munich, Dortmund are refusing to do further business with their biggest rivals after watching Mario Goetze make the same move earlier this summer.

Chelsea do not believe Dortmund, runners-up to Bayern in last season's Bundesliga and European Cup, will want to see a £25m asset leave for nothing next summer - assuming that the Germans will be willing to talk terms.

And with the Blues ready to offer Lewandowski £170,000 a week, the Stamford Bridge outfit hope the Pole can be tempted.

Mourinho, likely to let Demba Ba go this summer as he shakes up Chelsea's squad but keen to utilise the power and presence of Romelu Lukaku, has already identified Lewandowski as the kind of player he could work with.

It is understood that the 24-year-old's brilliant four-goal haul in the Champions League semi-final win over Mourinho's Real helped persuade the Blues' hierarchy he is good enough to play for them.

Chelsea's likely title rivals Manchester United and Manchester City are also keen on bringing the Pole to the Premier League.

But the Blues feel the Mourinho factor may give them a key advantage, if Dortmund recognise they have to sell.

Apparently we're in for Ruddy of Norwich, another guy in the Turnbull mould IMO.

Now, while hes a good keeper, he'll only be a backup.

I suppose thats what we need anyway until Courtois comes back.

10 million for john ruddy ???? NO THANKS from the sun

JOSE MOURINHO last night made a £5million bid to nab Norwich keeper John Ruddy.
    But the Chelsea chief must double that to stand a chance of capturing him.
    Mourinho’s offer for the England ace was immediately turned down.
    Norwich do not want to sell one of their star players — yet the Special One knows Petr Cech is his only senior keeper at Chelsea.
    Ruddy, 26, has been an excellent performer for Norwich since he signed from Everton for £400,000 three years ago.
    And he was handed his Three Lions debut in a friendly against Italy in Switzerland 10 months ago.
    Another attraction for Mourinho is Ruddy is a home-grown player. Premier League rules state clubs must include eight in a squad of 25, something Chelsea struggle with.
    It is understood the £5m offer included add-ons but Norwich dismissed the bid out of sight, with boss Chris Hughton looking to improve the squad rather than lose players.
    Norwich are also set to go to a tribunal with Aston Villa after 20-year-old keeper Jed Steer — a Chelsea target when he was aged just 15 — opted to leave Carrow Road.

Yup seen it mentioned on Twitter too late last night.

TBF, Blackman looked very shaky against Man City so if Cech got injured and we were relying on him we'd be foooooked.

Yup seen it mentioned on Twitter too late last night.

TBF, Blackman looked very shaky against Man City so if Cech got injured and we were relying on him we'd be foooooked.

shay given is leaving aston villa, this will be his last contract ,well worth looking at in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

So they could show 4/5 EPL games a wknd?

12:45 Saturday
    5:30 Saturday

1:00 Sunday
    4:00 Sunday

8:00 Monday

They must be worrying about BT

Yea there could be all out war between Sky and BT, think Sky will try use soccer to get rid of BT as they basically took all of their UK rugby and have put a huge question mark over the future of the Heineken Cup. Upside for Irish sport is Sky picked up the Pro12 but as the major rating and therefore advertising with any sport in the UK is soccer then I think Sky will try to hurt them as much as possible.

shay given is leaving aston villa, this will be his last contract ,well worth looking at in my opinion

Actually for a season or so that could be a good call if he is happy to play back up. Would be nice for him to actually win a few medals before retiring as well :D

• Advertisement

He had time left on his contract though he wanted out to play 1st team football so I'd doubt he'll come to us to sit on the bench.

Unless he wants a decent wage and a chance at medals for the last 2/3 years of his career.

So what do we think is a good season next season?

With City & Utd both changing managers I'd really hope we can push all the way and maybe nick the league.

Domestic cups will be a good chance to play some of the fringe players and a UCL quarter final would be nice too.

I'd also like to beat Bayern in the Super cup but its not a priority but Pep v Jose will be interesting to watch with Bayern being the stronger team.

With City & Utd both changing managers I'd really hope we can push all the way and maybe nick the league.

Domestic cups will be a good chance to play some of the fringe players and a UCL quarter final would be nice too.

I'd also like to beat Bayern in the Super cup but its not a priority but Pep v Jose will be interesting to watch with Bayern being the stronger team.

winning the league is realistic , last year what let us down was the bench , this year it will be a lot stronger , no more yossi, paulo or marin coming on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

II think we could manage either UCL or Pl titles and then one of the other domestics

I'd be happy to get back the league anyway and anything else would be a huge bonus.

Also its going to be interesting to see how Jose has us playing and setting out.

The league is realistic in my view but if we sort our defence then we should win what will be a 3 horse race

• Advertisement

The league is realistic in my view but if we sort our defence then we should win what will be a 3 horse race

Hopefully Jose can sure up the defence or at least get them to defend as a unit properly.

Next year is going to very interesting, theres 5 teams that can easily get top 4 and add Liverpool if they can get the right players and a bit of form and they could trouble the top 4 also.

Going to be a big season for the whole league.

Yea I think 4th could well be a three horse race as well depending upon how well Arsenal spend and if Suarez stays with Liverpool and Bale with Spurs. But top 3 nailed on for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Yea I think 4th could well be a three horse race as well depending upon how well Arsenal spend and if Suarez stays with Liverpool and Bale with Spurs. But top 3 nailed on for me.
    If Arsenal spend like it seems they will on quality players like Higuain then I can see them challenging for the title given they are the only top four side with the same manager in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Hopefully Jose can sure up the defence or at least get them to defend as a unit properly.

Next year is going to very interesting, theres 5 teams that can easily get top 4 and add Liverpool if they can get the right players and a bit of form and they could trouble the top 4 also.

Going to be a big season for the whole league.
    He'll likely buy a proper DM and that will massively help the defence IMO

amiable wrote: »
    He'll likely buy a proper DM and that will massively help the defence IMO

Or play Essien, which I hope doesnt happen, a good DM would be brilliant alright and with Mikel looking like he'll be gone and with reports of Romeu being loaned back to La Liga we'll need another DM IMO to be sure.

I'd like to see a CB but the market for a good CB thats not going to cost a bucket load is slim enough at the moment.

• Advertisement

Marin loaned to Seville for next season

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Or play Essien, which I hope doesnt happen, a good DM would be brilliant alright and with Mikel looking like he'll be gone and with reports of Romeu being loaned back to La Liga we'll need another DM IMO to be sure.

I'd like to see a CB but the market for a good CB thats not going to cost a bucket load is slim enough at the moment.

I'd be disappointed if Romeu is loaned out. When he's played for us, for the most part, he's done pretty well. The first couple of games under Rafa that he played were promising. I thought he'd be worth giving a chance to next season. I don't think Essien is a viable option in midfield, the man has the knees of an 80 year old (mild exaggeration). It's weird, Mikel's been a figure of derision for some Chelsea fans for some time, then you see how he can play for Nigeria and you just think it's a bit of a shame he wasn't given the chance to do that at Chelsea, he's always struck me as a player who was converted into a holding midfielder rather than a natural holding midfielder.

Van Ginkel would be a player who could play in the midfield two. He has the size and presence, looks a decent athlete and can play a bit, marks against him would be experience and would have to adapt to the Premier League.

Hope it goes well for him anyway.
    I'd be disappointed if Romeu is loaned out. When he's played for us, for the most part, he's done pretty well. The first couple of games under Rafa that he played were promising. I thought he'd be worth giving a chance to next season.
    The injury was very unlucky in its timing as he looked to be holding his own in CM, although his injury pushed Luiz into CM which was brilliant.
    I don't think Essien is a viable option in midfield, the man has the knees of an 80 year old (mild exaggeration). It's weird, Mikel's been a figure of derision for some Chelsea fans for some time, then you see how he can play for Nigeria and you just think it's a bit of a shame he wasn't given the chance to do that at Chelsea, he's always struck me as a player who was converted into a holding midfielder rather than a natural holding midfielder.
    Wasnt it Jose that turned Mikel into a defensive option? Mikel hasnt the pace to play as an attacking CM or in the hole, 2 positions he reguarly takes up for Nigeria.
    Van Ginkel would be a player who could play in the midfield two. He has the size and presence, looks a decent athlete and can play a bit, marks against him would be experience and would have to adapt to the Premier League.
    Could be an option, you never know what Jose will spring. I'd love Gundogan but cant see Dortmund selling him.

Hope it goes well for him anyway.

The injury was very unlucky in its timing as he looked to be holding his own in CM, although his injury pushed Luiz into CM which was brilliant.

Wasnt it Jose that turned Mikel into a defensive option? Mikel hasnt the pace to play as an attacking CM or in the hole, 2 positions he reguarly takes up for Nigeria.

Could be an option, you never know what Jose will spring. I'd love Gundogan but cant see Dortmund selling him.

It was just plain bad luck when he picked up that injury, though, as you say it did lead to Luiz playing in cm and probably also gave Frank Lampard more gametime than he perhaps would have gotten.

It was, it was probably his pace (or lack of it) that led to Mourinho turning him into a holding midfielder, I think that maybe on the continent, in a less frenetic league, that Mikel might prove to be quite a good central midfielder or even an attacking playmaker.

Gundogan would be perfect, though getting Dortmund to sell another on of their top players might take some crafty negotiating. Someone earlier said to me that Thiago would have been another great option for Chelsea, the midfield two has been an issue for a while, hopefully Mourinho addresses it.

It was just plain bad luck when he picked up that injury, though, as you say it did lead to Luiz playing in cm and probably also gave Frank Lampard more gametime than he perhaps would have gotten.

It was, it was probably his pace (or lack of it) that led to Mourinho turning him into a holding midfielder, I think that maybe on the continent, in a less frenetic league, that Mikel might prove to be quite a good central midfielder or even an attacking playmaker.

Gundogan would be perfect, though getting Dortmund to sell another on of their top players might take some crafty negotiating. Someone earlier said to me that Thiago would have been another great option for Chelsea, the midfield two has been an issue for a while, hopefully Mourinho addresses it.

Well I'd have no problem going forward with Luiz in CM but a Ramires/Oscar combo is something I'd like to see aswell.

I think if Mikel did speed up his decision making he could be decent playmaker, he sometimes dwells to much on the ball allowing others to close him down and force him into a mistake or turning us around.

Josh Mac would be another I'd love to see get games but I fear that wont happen.

Ya Thiago would have been a good buy as well but I dont think relations between ourselves and Brca are exactly great so I wouldnt expect to see much business either way in that regard.

Well I'd have no problem going forward with Luiz in CM but a Ramires/Oscar combo is something I'd like to see aswell.

I think if Mikel did speed up his decision making he could be decent playmaker, he sometimes dwells to much on the ball allowing others to close him down and force him into a mistake or turning us around.

Josh Mac would be another I'd love to see get games but I fear that wont happen.

Ya Thiago would have been a good buy as well but I dont think relations between ourselves and Brca are exactly great so I wouldnt expect to see much business either way in that regard.

I like him in CM but, for me, he's a centre back and, imo, our best centre back. Slowly but surely I'd expect Oscar to move from the 3 behind the striker to the 2 in front of the defence, with Schurrle in this season we might get a little bit more of Oscar in the midfield 2. Ramires is a tough one, great in an open game when there is space to run into but against a side who are playing tight and getting men behind the ball his passing lets him down sometimes.

Speed of thought, speed of action and literally the speed that he runs at are all flaws in his game.

Shame really, after Marseille it looked like he was going to be a huge hit at Chelsea. I suppose there is a lesson in there about having such high expectations for young players.

I wouldn't expect it either. Of course though this is all assuming that Mourinho players a 4-2-3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I'd much prefer if we tryed to sign Mark Schwarzer for a year on a free rather than John Ruddy for over £5million! Not sure Schwarzer will want to come and be a backup keeper but there would be plenty of games for him. We should look into it if we are going for Ruddy who in reality will never be our first choice keeper. It doesn't matter that he's much younger as it's only for a year anyway. Schwarzer did leave Fulham as he wasn't going to be number one anymore so probably does wan't first team football but could the possibilty of silverware tempt him? Would be good bit of business on a free and then we'd have Courtois coming back next year.

Someone suggested Given but I'd prefer Schwarzer, reliable keeper and willing to sit and take a pay cheque for relatively cheap wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Someone suggested Given but I'd prefer Schwarzer, reliable keeper and willing to sit and take a pay cheque for relatively cheap wages.

Backup last season just wasn't good enough. We'd go from having one of the worst backups in the league to one of the best. He's still a class keeper.

Yup, even though schwarzer is in his last years, as a back up he'd be perfect IMO.

He'd probably still manage to get a handful of games as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

1. EPL - if we can hit the ground running and keep momentum going through the winter, we can win the league.

2. UCL - top the group and get to at least the quarters.

If we achieve those goals, that's a v. good first season.

In addition, with the draws going well, a good run in the FA Cup would be good, but with no major expenditure of first team energy. League Cup for the second string only.

Hope it works out poor lad has had a tough few years deserves a break, let's hope we can't wait to get him back next this time next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Looked at Cavani's 70 goals since 2011..

Alot of penalties..

And noticed that, he rarely scores away from home for Napoli!

942327_10151699265732259_1584048726_n.jpg

Just had a quick look at his twitter account thrifty lad bought the whistle at Engelhorn on 22nd of April, didn't go splashing his cash for a new one. looks like a Hugo Boss one can pick it up now for €299.

http://fashion.engelhorn.de/suche/männermode+zu+spitzenpreisen/filterWarengruppe--Herren%20Anzüge%20&%20Baukästen/followSearch--10000/

Just had a quick look at his twitter account thrifty lad bought the whistle at Engelhorn on 22nd of April, didn't go splashing his cash for a new one. looks like a Hugo Boss one can pick it up now for €299.

http://fashion.engelhorn.de/suche/männermode+zu+spitzenpreisen/filterWarengruppe--Herren%20Anzüge%20&%20Baukästen/followSearch--10000/

Germans, they're never tight with cash. :pac:

Chelsea have stolen a march ahead of a number of top clubs in Europe to sign Napoli forward Edison Cavani in agreeing personal terms with the Uruguayan, according to Sky Italia reporter Tancredi Palmeri.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/chelsea-have-found-an-agreement-with-edinson-cavani-8679772.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's Palmeri. Wouldn't be taking anything as truth just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

If there's even a grain of truth in it, I should imagine that Chelsea's thinking is get the personal terms agreed first because Rafa will want to take Nando, so the cash buy-out clause is moot.

• Advertisement

1st team have been given an extra few days to report back for pre-season by Jose.
    One of the new ­manager’s first acts was to push the ­players’ start date back to Monday July 8.
    “Jose is the master man-manager. The players were delighted they had extra time off. In their eyes, he’s made the ­perfect start without even stepping on to a football pitch.”

In other news "apparently" Jose wants 6 new players and to find room and funds for them we're selling Torres to Arsenal, Luiz to PSG/Barca and Mata to the highest bidder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

1st team have been given an extra few days to report back for pre-season by Jose.

In other news "apparently" Jose wants 6 new players and to find room and funds for them we're selling Torres to Arsenal, Luiz to PSG/Barca and Mata to the highest bidder

I really hope this doesn't happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Luiz and Torres can both be replaced fairly easily as neither are world beaters. But losing Mata would be both foolish and catastrophic. He is so important to your team. I wonder is Jose drinking the Kool-Aid or does he just feel like he needs to stamp his authority by shifting three players he had nothing to do with signing? Why else would you sell Mata?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Panthro wrote: »
    I really hope this doesn't happen

Torres maybe but I really can't see the other two leaving. It all officially starts tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,068 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kirby wrote: »
    Luiz and Torres can both be replaced fairly easily as neither are world beaters. But losing Mata would be both foolish and catastrophic. He is so important to your team. I wonder is Jose drinking the Kool-Aid or does he just feel like he needs to stamp his authority by shifting three players he had nothing to do with signing? Why else would you sell Mata?

I like Luiz a lot, but I could certainly see a point to be raised for Jose selling him if the right offer came in.

Mata though, I just can't understand those rumours. One of your most important players, and clearly wants to stay. Great attitude and magnificent talent, he's a guy Jose should be building around rather than considering replacing. Honestly, if given the choice, I'd have Mata over Hazard every day of the week (and I really rate Hazard too).

Kirby wrote: »

Agree 100% on Torres. He just hasn't worked out for the money paid.

Mostly agree on Luiz. I don't think he's reliable enough, and for him to stay Jose would need to be confident that he can turn him around. On this score, perhaps Jose has judged that he won't be able to. He may have already spotted potential for communications breakdown, and too much of a tendency to go off on tangents.

The Mata situation is more enigmatic. Personally, I would see Mata as someone you can really rely on to deliver in 50 or so games a season. He's bright, alert, skilful, and adaptable. Who wouldn't want him in their squad. It is possible though that Jose wants a tougher midfield core with a single main creative playmaker to be deployed for certain types of game (thus abandoning any pretence to tiki taka). There may be a clue in how Jose ultimately found it difficult to work Modric into the RM MF. Or the whole Mata controversy could be complete BS, with a bright CFC future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

04/05 Premier League years on Sky now...good times

I think getting rid of Luiz is stupid, he our best CB and one, if not our best CM's.

We've no replacement for him at CB, Cahill isnt up to the standard, JT is another year older and Ivanvoic is as likely as Luiz to f**k up and has made more mistakes last year at CB.

We've to bring in another CB, hopefully one that will play with Luiz.

Mata has come out and said hes staying I wouldnt worry about him and Torres, well I'd rather we kept him and got rid of Ba but his wages could be a factor and if we want to bring in a Cavani or Lewandoski or the likes we'll have to pay top wages so that could see Torres out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Phoenix wrote: »
    Has there any quotes attributed to Jose regarding Mata and Luiz?

Only if I recall correctly that he was looking forward to working with them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement