Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He was Young player of the year last year in the Dutch league, thats promising.

No idea of his playing style but i think when the news first broke in May they suggested a box to box type player.

Doesnt make good reading for Chalobah or Josh Mac though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Techless wrote: »
    What type of midfielder is he - attacking or defensive ?

Can play as a central or attacking midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

So what sort of player is Van Ginkel and how could we expect him to fit into the squad? Haven't seen him play other than a few YouTube clips which can make average players look like messi.
    And it's good to see a player come through our (unofficial) youth academy! ;)

The wiki contributors are quick, he already plays for Chelsea apparently!!

Have no idea but ManU were after him according to press so always nice to block a competitor. Could indeed be bad news for Josh.

I'd say Romeu will go on loan, same with Chalobah and I'd be surprised if Josh didnt go out as well.

We've no room for all these CM's at the moment.

If we sell Mikel at least that will go some way to covering the MVG fee.

Trying to think of our squad next year and the 25 places available to over 25's.

Cech

Ivanovic
    Azp
    Cahill
    JT
    Luiz
    Cole
    Bertrand

Mikel
    Romeu
    Lamps
    Josh
    Ramires
    Essien

KDB
    Schurrle
    Oscar
    Mata
    Hazard
    Moses

Torres
    Ba

I make that 22 players, U21's dont have to be registered so they've been left out of the list.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd say Romeu will go on loan, same with Chalobah and I'd be surprised if Josh didnt go out as well.

We've no room for all these CM's at the moment.

If we sell Mikel at least that will go some way to covering the MVG fee.

Depending how we get on fixing up our defence Chalobah might stay as he is comfy enough at CB as well. Still close on 2 months of the transfer window but realistically you would like transfers done before pre season tours and whilst we seem to be addressing the GK issue with Ruddy (very decent back up if we get him) there is little talk of new defenders.

Am I missing something here we do not have even close to a CL winning defence.

Trying to think of our squad next year and the 25 places available to over 25's.

Cech

Ivanovic
    Azp
    Cahill
    JT
    Luiz
    Cole
    Bertrand

Mikel
    Romeu
    Lamps
    Josh
    Ramires
    Essien

KDB
    Schurrle
    Oscar
    Mata
    Hazard
    Moses

Torres
    Ba

I make that 22 players, U21's dont have to be registered so they've been left out of the list.

Josh is 20 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Depending how we get on fixing up our defence Chalobah might stay as he is comfy enough at CB as well. Still close on 2 months of the transfer window but realistically you would like transfers done before pre season tours and whilst we seem to be addressing the GK issue with Ruddy (very decent back up if we get him) there is little talk of new defenders.

I don't think the defence is that far away at all. Azpilicueta and Ivanovic are solid right backs, Cole is still a top class left back and Bertrand is a decent understudy. Luiz is a top class centre back and Cahill and Terry are solid. Under Mourinho they can only improve as a defensive unit. Maybe another centre back wouldn't go astray but a striker must be the top priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Techless wrote: »
    What type of midfielder is he - attacking or defensive ?

ballack & Marek Hamsik of napoli seems to be the comparisons that a lot of dutch journalists have used
    6 ft 2 box-to-box player

I'd say we barely have enough to win the EPL let alone the CL.

We're painfully stretched at CB, while we have 4 choices there not really confidence inspiring IMO, ideally we'd sign a top quality CB but as ya said, theres no real rumours or anything coming out about CB's, the priority looks to be a backup and a CF as we've added another AM and CM so far.

We have people like Wallace and Kalas who could end up with us next year but loan spells look more likely IMO.

I never input PVA at LB but who knows where he'll end up.

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »
    ballack & Marek Hamsik of napoli seems to be the comparisons that a lot of dutch journalists have used
    6 ft 2 box-to-box player

Crumbs hope that's the case Ballack was always one of my favourite players

Josh is 20 I think

He is, I thought he was 22.

Handy another free space in the squad so.
    6 ft 2 box-to-box player

Google saying hes 5' 11 and only 70kgs.

Not a chance. He's quite tall, Wikipedia says 6 ft 1 and that sounds a lot more like it than 5 ft 10.

I'd say we barely have enough to win the EPL let alone the CL.

We're painfully stretched at CB, while we have 4 choices there not really confidence inspiring IMO, ideally we'd sign a top quality CB but as ya said, theres no real rumours or anything coming out about CB's, the priority looks to be a backup and a CF as we've added another AM and CM so far.

We have people like Wallace and Kalas who could end up with us next year but loan spells look more likely IMO.

I never input PVA at LB but who knows where he'll end up.

Yea that's pretty much how I read it, now whilst I would have had zero confidence in the tactics of the interim one you always felt last season we needed a couple of goals to get anything from a game.

Now TSHO is a far superior coach but you can't really make a silk purse from a sows ear. There does not seem to be many top quality CB,s around maybe that Zouma guy (does well on football manager at least) will be interesting to see what happens.

Not a chance. He's quite tall, Wikipedia says 6 ft 1 and that sounds a lot more like it than 5 ft 10.

looks tall to me

156659026-patrick-aanholt-of-vitesse-marco-van-ginkel-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QafrxLc%2Fz%2BJJ1KpZYE8tCP0HkK2DBRoqc%2F2xErT%2FMvBpiKq%2BKV%2BFVh8rA11wm2WNsQ%3D%3D

We need to start a book here, Soccerway has him at 180cm (5'11") and 67kg which seems a little light.

looks tall to me

156659026-patrick-aanholt-of-vitesse-marco-van-ginkel-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QafrxLc%2Fz%2BJJ1KpZYE8tCP0HkK2DBRoqc%2F2xErT%2FMvBpiKq%2BKV%2BFVh8rA11wm2WNsQ%3D%3D

Near ...... Far away ha ha (never miss an opportunity to throw Father Ted into a conversation)

We need to start a book here, Soccerway has him at 180cm (5'11") and 67kg which seems a little light.

Wikipedia has Oscar at 5 ft 11, if Oscar is taller or the same size as Van Ginkel I'll eat my own hat and post you all the picture.

Wikipedia has Oscar at 5 ft 11, if Oscar is taller or the same size as Van Ginkel I'll eat my own hat and post you all the picture.

thats van aanholt in the pic with him and he's 5ft 9 :)

• Advertisement

On that comparisson, Luiz was standing next to T.Silva in the Confeds Final the other night and Luiz must be about 2 inches bigger then him, I alwys thought they were similar size or I was under estimating Luiz size.....or hair. :pac:

thats van aanholt in the pic with him and he's 5ft 9 :)

For Van Ginkel to be 5 ft 10, Van Aanholt would have to be an imp.

On that comparisson, Luiz was standing next to T.Silva in the Confeds Final the other night and Luiz must be about 2 inches bigger then him, I alwys thought they were similar size or I was under estimating Luiz size.....or hair. :pac:

I spotted that too during the tournament. Maybe Silva's not as tall as we expected or Luiz is lanky, or his hair had grown in his time away from London, all distinct possibilities.

I spotted that too during the tournament. Maybe Silva's not as tall as we expected or Luiz is lanky, or his hair had grown in his time away from London, all distinct possibilities.

Wiki has silva down as 6ft on the button, I asuppose it makes sense I thought Luiz was 6' 2 and Wiki has that down as 6' 2.

Silva and Luiz have only a relatively small number of caps too.

Wiki has silva down as 6ft on the button, I asuppose it makes sense I thought Luiz was 6' 2 and Wiki has that down as 6' 2.

Silva and Luiz have only a relatively small number of caps too.

You'd expect Silva to have more than he does given his age. I suppose though for much of that time he had Lucio ahead of him. I'm delighted Scolari has kept faith in Luiz, it paid off big time at the Confederations Cup, he had a great tournament.

dennis wise was 5 ft 6 but would go toe to toe with anyone :)

• Advertisement

You'd expect Silva to have more than he does given his age. I suppose though for much of that time he had Lucio ahead of him. I'm delighted Scolari has kept faith in Luiz, it paid off big time at the Confederations Cup, he had a great tournament.

I think Luiz had a better overall tournament then Silva.

If he carry that form into the EPL next season then we've nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

From reading that article, im very happy with Van Ginkel :)

Does make you think though is it time for Josh to move on?

• Advertisement

Josh isnt going to be pushig for a WC spot so he maybe convinced that oen more year on loan and he'll play next year might be an option.

Next year Lamps and Essien could both be gone so that would free up space, even Mikel is meant to be going this year so he might get his chance if he waits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Josh isnt going to be pushig for a WC spot so he maybe convinced that oen more year on loan and he'll play next year might be an option.

Next year Lamps and Essien could both be gone so that would free up space, even Mikel is meant to be going this year so he might get his chance if he waits.

Has to be frustrating for him, seemingly made his breakthrough in 2010/11 under Ancelotti, and since then has gone backwards in terms of 1st team chances for Chelsea!

IMO I dont see him as being good enough to be a starter with us, he is very good on the ball, nice quick feet, good passing, but I dont think he'l reach the quality where he'l be pushing Ramires, KDB, out of the team. (possibly David Luiz depending on if Mourinho wants him in CM)

Id love to be proved wrong though, and to see a lad from the academy break through properly!

CM is getting very competitive now with Van Ginkel signing.

Its going to be hard to guess what our starting XI will be against Hull but we've options now that we didnt have last year.

Cant wait to see what way the pre-season shapes up and its good to see business being sorted early in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Slightly relevant here still, Anelka off to WBA

BOVyycXCEAA3ZzZ.jpg

Good servant, wish he won the UCL with us though.

Hope he does well did well for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Delighted to see Anelka back in the PL.
    Thought he was a very good professional from his time with us.
    I hope he is welcomed back at the Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Yeah great to see him back! Had some great seasons with us.

Sure this is BS but the meltdown amongst certain people if true would be so funny.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/chelsea-have-almost-completed-luis-suarez-transfer-for-40m-accord

Personally think we do not do too well when buying players from Liverpool so lets leave well alone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Sure this is BS but the meltdown amongst certain people if true would be so funny.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/chelsea-have-almost-completed-luis-suarez-transfer-for-40m-accord

Personally think we do not do too well when buying players from Liverpool so lets leave well alone
    40 million euro for Suarez and he would be taking a paycut to go to Chelsea.
    I think it's fair to say it's bull.
    What I will say is the backtracking would be hilarious

• Advertisement

Cavani or Rooney and a centre half and I'll be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Johner wrote: »
    Cavani or Rooney and a centre half and I'll be happy enough.
    I think Jose will buy a midfielder

Selling Demba Ba to fund Suarez perchance

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-news/2013/7/4/4494198/demba-ba-chelsea-fc-transfer-talks-anzhi-makhachkala

This will get real funny yet, I love silly season

I know a snippet can make an ordinary player look like Messi but putting that totally to one side here is Blue van Ginkel

http://www.cfcnet.co.uk/2013/07/marco-van-ginkel-video/?

We are assembling some serious young talent!

Courtois, Azpilicueta, van Ginkel, Romeu, Moses, Schurrle, Hazard, Lukaku, Josh, De Bruyne, Chalobah, Ake, Thorgan Hazard, Feruz, Loftus-Cheek and then Mata, Luiz and Ramires who are all still mid twenties.

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

Johner wrote: »
    We are assembling some serious young talent!

Courtois, Azpilicueta, van Ginkel, Romeu, Moses, Schurrle, Hazard, Lukaku, Josh, De Bruyne, Chalobah, Ake, Thorgan Hazard, Feruz, Loftus-Cheek and then Mata, Luiz and Ramires who are all still mid twenties.

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

Sure are you can add Ryan, PVA, Piazon, Kalas, Wallace and Omeruo to your list as well that be none too shabby at all.

Surprised to see Torres in Confederations Cup best XI, when I read two Chelsea players in the headline assumed Oscar and Luiz but no Torres and Luiz. All on the back of scoring a few goals against Taihiti my God there is hope for us all yet.

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2013/7/3/4491362/torres-david-luiz-confed-cup-best-xi?

Same guy on twitter claims Robinho may be going to Santos for €6m crumbs that is some comedown in price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Surprised to see Torres in Confederations Cup best XI, when I read two Chelsea players in the headline assumed Oscar and Luiz but no Torres and Luiz. All on the back of scoring a few goals against Taihiti my God there is hope for us all yet.

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2013/7/3/4491362/torres-david-luiz-confed-cup-best-xi?

Same guy on twitter claims Robinho may be going to Santos for €6m crumbs that is some comedown in price
    Yeah I'm quite happy city will feel the aftertaste of that particular lemon! Does anybody think rip van gingkle will be playing with us this season or sent out on loan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Cavani to PSG is all but done claims Palmeri on Twitter.

Deal to be finalised today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement