Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Not bad for a "so called" diving cheat.

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2013/7/11/4513498/didier-drogba-builds-hospitals?

The man is an inspiration not only a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Info below, this particular article is about UFC but the general information on the channel still applies.

So all this means that sky sports subscribers will no longer get espn for free this season! I wonder are the bt sports allocation of games the same as espn's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

kev1.3s wrote: »
    So all this means that sky sports subscribers will no longer get espn for free this season! I wonder are the bt sports allocation of games the same as espn's.

No I think BT get the pick of the games, first choice over Sky, also its €20 a month :mad:

edit yup;
    bt page wrote:
    he three channels – BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN - will be packed with world class sport. There will be 38 live and exclusive football matches from the Barclays Premier League – including 18 ‘first pick’ matches - and up to 69 live rugby matches from the Aviva Premiership where BT will be the sole and exclusive broadcaster. There will be live football from several other top leagues around the world including Germany, France, Italy and Brazil. There will also be FA Cup ties, the UEFA Europa League, Scottish Premier League plus WTA women’s tennis and action from the UFC.

atellite customers who take BT broadband will get BT Sport for free, whilst those who don’t can still get the service from BT in high definition for £15 per month or in standard definition for £12. BT will make it clear to those customers they can save substantial sums by switching their broadband back to BT. Satellite customers who sign up before August 1 2013 will see the £3 per month supplement for HD waived for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

No I think BT get the pick of the games, first choice over Sky, also its €20 a month :mad:

They get a certain amount of first choice games (the really big games in the season) but haven't used any of their first choice options so far. They'll use them in the second half of the season.

Sky have a lot of Chelsea games, as best I can see BT and Setanta combined have 3 so the good news is that almost all of Chelsea's games in the first half of the season are on television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I hope we hang onto Moses. Thought he had a good first season and would be a good squad player to have. We have lacked strength in depth in our squad in recent years and it's players like Moses that make squads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Moses and Schurrle will have big opportunities to get game time on the flanks this year.

We wont play nearly 70 games this year but we should get close to 55-60 with a run in the UCL and both domestic cups and with a bigger squad well manage the fatituge a lot better this year and with more quality thrown in too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I really think that moses should be moved on and we get a proper winger. Only dracula was worse with crosses

Our best crosser of the ball is Torres, he put in some excellent croses whenever he was out wide, only problem was there was nobody in there to convert them. :pac:

Monaco in for Mikel according to some this morning, mainly the Daily Mail and Twitter.

Team seem popular in Asia

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2361555/Chelsea-Jose-Mourinho-arrive-Bangkok-pre-season-tour.html

Though it does seem to be different photos of the same people :confused:

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Monaco in for Mikel according to some this morning, mainly the Daily Mail and Twitter.

That would be good drive the price up at least

Interesting table for Chelsea in the premier league, the Spurs record is so nice Liverpool and Arsenal disappointing still beat them next season (which we will handy) then only one side will have a winning record over us.

http://www.thechels.co.uk/all-time-premier-league-rank/

That would be good drive the price up at least

Ya if we got the reported 16 million for him that would be brilliant.
    Interesting table for Chelsea in the premier league, the Spurs record is so nice Liverpool and Arsenal disappointing still beat them next season (which we will handy) then only one side will have a winning record over us.

http://www.thechels.co.uk/all-time-premier-league-rank/

The arsenal record is very poor but we've pulled abck a few games the last couple of years, on the flip side our record agaisnt Liverpool the last 3 seasons has been shocking.

Best by far over the 42 games is Spurs only 3 wins, 23 loses.

City is the 2nd worst for loses, 20 in 32 games theyve won 7, I'd be confident 4 of those have been under Mancini we've a shocking recent record against them also.

Hull ticket Info.

Ticket selling details for the opening match of the season, versus Hull City at home, have been announced.

The game is on Sunday 18 August, kick-off 4pm, and sales for this match will be as follows:

Monday 15 July to Sunday 21 July: Members can purchase one ticket.

Monday 22 July to Sunday 28 July: Season ticket holders and members can purchase an extra two tickets (maximum of three in total).

Monday 29 July: Tickets will go on general sale (maximum of four tickets per person).

Tickets will be sold online from 7am and from 9.15am at the box office and call centre for personal callers and telephone sales.

All ticket sales are subject to availability.

I very much doubt this game will make it to general sale TBH.

1st home game of the season, Joses return to the Bridge, tickets will be like golddust I reckon.

So is TSHO really interested in Wayne or is he playing mind games already with Moyes?

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-boss-jose-mourinho-drops-wayne-rooney-hint-as-he-chases-daniele-de-rossi-signing-8705385.html

I would say this type of pressure must be a real steep learning curve for Moyes it will be interesting to see how he handles it.

No mind games, I reckon if the right deal was available we'd snap up Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Not bad for a "so called" diving cheat.

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2013/7/11/4513498/didier-drogba-builds-hospitals?

The man is an inspiration not only a legend.

i bet youd be the first person to whinge about suarez for though

Suarez has done loads for charity in his home nation but will always be slated by oposition fans the same way drogs was. the same way terry is. thats not to say they are not great players.

i dont find drogba "an inspiration". i think what he did is inspirational. but there is a huge difference between an act of inspiration and being one. i applaud what he does for charity(drogs) but i think all footballers should take the example and give back.

The 'Dirk Kuyt Foundation'
    'Brain Tumor Foundation' - jack wilshere
    Balotelli - helping the homeless at christmas giving them up to a grand each on the spot randomly
    The 'Craig Bellamy Foundation'
    Robbie Fowler - paid all the dockers wages when they where on strike in the 90s
    Angel Rangel - Drove around swansea giving out food to homeless people the night before he was playing.

Essien, Dalglish, Gerrard, Keane, carragher - all players who have been hugely involved in charity

its sad that on field antics will always outshine the great work alot of players young and old do. they may be paid millions but fair play to them noone is forcing them to do these things. but i do believe that every player should give back.

the average wage in the premier league is around 25k a week. lets say 20 teams and 18 players(just first team and subs alone) . thats 7.5 million a week in wages going to the top flight(on average only including the match day squads so obviously the average wage should be alot higher but this is only an example). could you imagine every player donating 1 year salary to charity. it would be 390 million pounds. and that doesnt include championship or lower. it doesnt include backroom staff refs comentators younger players(17-18 year olds on over a grand a week)

so many people in the uk could be helped with that kind of cash. players need to give back. we pay over inflated taxs and we have to bail out the banks but what if footballers could help in other helpful ways. make sure kids dont starve or homeless people have shelter. simple things that could be done

Paulegend wrote: »
    i bet youd be the first person to whinge about suarez for though

No diving / cheating call it what you want is part of the game always has been always will be until the brains trust decide it will no longer be. In professional football in England at least it would be easy enough get shot of. Every match is televised have a citing system similar to that of rugby if a player is shown to be guilty of simulation then ban him for 3 games.

But where would it end if a player does a Terry Henry should he be banned as well?

It can be very difficult for a ref last seasons Chelsea ManU game at Stamford Bridge being a perfect example. Ivan got a feint enough touch on a ManU player as he went through and was trying to get out of the way, but the manU player was at full tilt and went over ref see's it and early bath for Ivan. Later on feint touch on Nando going full tilt goes over second yellow and an early bath for Nando. And there is the problem the same ref in the same game was inconsistent and that is a bigger problem.

I read somewhere cant remember exactly where but apparently Ballotelli gives quite a sizable chunk of his wages to African children so indeed kudos. It is the role over a considerable period of time I find inspirational about Drogs not many players have helped end a 5 year very bloody civil war and donated a signing on fee to build another hospital among a lot of stuff overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Would be a brave move for Suarez being the face of "feed the hungry" or something similar

The world is going mad cash plus Lukaku for Benteke, heard it all now I think we would be getting a bad deal in a straight swap.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-rumour-mill-5073518?

• Advertisement

The world is going mad cash plus Lukaku for Benteke, heard it all now I think we would be getting a bad deal in a straight swap.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-rumour-mill-5073518?

Its simple, leaving Lukkau go, whatever the price to bring in Benteke would be a waste and one of our worst pieces of business under Roman.

It'll never happen thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Romeu move to Valencia on loan confirmed

What do we make of the supposed De Rossi transfer?

Some of the papers this morning were reporting that demba ba might go to villa of they sell benteke

peteeeed wrote: »
    Some of the papers this morning were reporting that demba ba might go to villa of they sell benteke

I dont think he'd go plus they're trying curb their high earners, which is why Bent is trying to be off loaded.

Bentekes meant to be on about 22k a week, hed easily treble and maybe quadruple that if his agent gets the right deal for him.

Out of curiosity what would we get for Ba, probably 10 million cant say his stock has risen much since his move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

What do we make of the supposed De Rossi transfer?

Good experience and I think he could still do a good job for us. Would remind of when we signed Ballack.

Johner wrote: »
    Good experience and I think he could still do a good job for us. Would remind of when we signed Ballack.

We've plenty of quantity in CM but not much quality so De Rossi would certainly bring that.

Lamps, Essien, Josh, MVG, Ramires, KDB and Oscar as potential CM's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

We've plenty of quantity in CM but not much quality so De Rossi would certainly bring that.

Lamps, Essien, Josh, MVG, Ramires, KDB and Oscar as potential CM's.

Dont see Lamps and Essien being for 2014/15 so that would leave us short again.

And Mourinho may not see KDB as a centre-mid who knows!

I think we need to plan for being short in this area, we have signed lots of young players recently, I think an experienced head like De Rossi might be a good signing.

But isnt it so hard to pick who Jose will start with against Hull, itl be very interesting!

Dont see Lamps and Essien being for 2014/15 so that would leave us short again.

And Mourinho may not see KDB as a centre-mid who knows!

I think we need to plan for being short in this area, we have signed lots of young players recently, I think an experienced head like De Rossi might be a good signing.

But isnt it so hard to pick who Jose will start with against Hull, itl be very interesting!

I didnt include Mikel in my list as it does seem he'll leave one way or another TBH.

If I was playing FM13 I'd be inclined to line up

Cech
    Azp JT Luiz Cole
    Ramires Oscar
    Hazard Mata Schurrle
    Lukaku

Schwarzer
    Ivan
    Cahill
    Lamps
    Essien
    Moses
    Torres

• Advertisement

Ideally you will want 2 players for every position.

GK Cech / Schwarzer
    RB Azpilicueta / Ivanovic
    LB Cole / Bertrand
    CB Terry / Cahill
    CB Luiz /
    CM Ramires / Van Ginkel / McEachran
    CM Lampard / Essien / Mikel
    LW Hazard / Schurrle
    RW Moses / De Bruyne
    AM Mata / Oscar
    CF Lukaku / Torres / Ba

Thats 24 men there.

And from that it looks like we are short a centre half, although it could be solved by playing Branna in centre half and having Essien as your spare right back. And then with the apparent exit of Mikel and the inexpierience of Josh, we are suddenly short a midfielder.

So Jose's doing the right thing in looking for a centre mid IMO.

And De Rossi looks like he would fit in well there I think, hope we sign him!

I didnt include Mikel in my list as it does seem he'll leave one way or another TBH.

If I was playing FM13 I'd be inclined to line up

Cech
    Azp JT Luiz Cole
    Ramires Oscar
    Hazard Mata Schurrle
    Lukaku

Schwarzer
    Ivan
    Cahill
    Lamps
    Essien
    Moses
    Torres

And if you had the option of De Rossi, does he start?

And if you had the option of De Rossi, does he start?

100%, De Rossi in for Oscar and Oscar for Moses on the bench.

100%, De Rossi in for Oscar and Oscar for Moses on the bench.

Its a shame for Oscar that it looks like he wont be fitted in

Its a shame for Oscar that it looks like he wont be fitted in

Jose could pull a 4-3-3 out and play

Cech
    Azp JT Luiz Cole
    De Rossi/Essien
    Ramires Oscar
    Mata Lukaku Hazard

I reckon Oscar will get game time, hes too good not to at his age and I think he'd be a decent Cm optino but he may need the security of a CM next to him and a holding behind, but as hes not the main guy the teams built around he could suffer and lose out.

Going to be a lot of 2nd guessing right up until the Hull game.

The way I see it we've only a hadnful of nailed on starters.

Cech
    X--X--Luiz--Cole
    Ramires----X----
    Hazard--Mata--X
    X

So 5 free spaces for people to play for I reckon.

City have about 6k more seats then us but theyve announced a plan that may seem them raise the capacity to nearly 60k and also offer a cheap 299 pound ST.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-city-plans-create-potential-for-60000-capacity-at-the-etihad-stadium-8704138.html

We could easily be left behind in the next 5 years if ye we cant expand or build a stadium and increase revenue.

Arsenal are through their period of paying off the stadium but this could be another team well above us in match day revenue.

• Advertisement

So, Wayne Rooney eh?

Yay or Nay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Nay

Thats what I'm leaning towards myself.

I reckon if we give Lukaku a fair crack of the whip the guy will get close to or improve on his goal tally from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

So, Wayne Rooney eh?

Yay or Nay?

nay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Thats what I'm leaning towards myself.

I reckon if we give Lukaku a fair crack of the whip the guy will get close to or improve on his goal tally from last year.

You'd hope if he's given a run, given the talent that would be behind him, he'd be able to improve on last years tally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Panthro wrote: »

I really don't see Mourinho being that silly to be honest, we would all love the real Drogba back but apart from the odd sensational goal his time has gone and we need to look forward,

damn that made some sense considering how drunk i am, can't wait for next year though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

So, Wayne Rooney eh?

Yay or Nay?

If Jose wants him, then I'm 100% all for it, he can get the best out of him, im sure of it, he'll need to move on someone to make room which I'm also totally fine with!

Utd miss out on Thiago, very good for the rest of the EPL IMO.

roma are signing maicon which probably means wallace will not now be part of the de rossi deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

roma are signing maicon which probably means wallace will not now be part of the de rossi deal

Good! I think if these youngsters are to be loaned out its imperative that they are loaned out to gain experience and not just to be passed around as a sweetener which in my opinion should be to another premier league club. How is Wallace going to gain experience of the physicality of the premier league in Rome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Good! I think if these youngsters are to be loaned out its imperative that they are loaned out to gain experience and not just to be passed around as a sweetener which in my opinion should be to another premier league club. How is Wallace going to gain experience of the physicality of the premier league in Rome?

Personally I would rather players are loaned to big clubs in Europe. Whilst they may not learn about playing stoke, they might learn how to hang on to the ball, pass the ball and learn different kinds of play playing for teams challenging at the top end of their respective leagues, dealing with the pressure that goes with that. Much more valuable than trying to get to 40 points with a team fighting for mid table in England.
    Tbh though, both ideas have their merits and their disadvantages.

I reckon the De Rossi deal is off if thats the case.

Utd miss out on Thiago, very good for the rest of the EPL IMO.

ManU seem to be missing out on a few transfer targets this bodes well for us, more so if one of their best players is unsettled.

If we were to buy Rooney, and I am a long way from being sure we need to, then last week of August would be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

ManU seem to be missing out on a few transfer targets this bodes well for us, more so if one of their best players is unsettled.

If we were to buy Rooney, and I am a long way from being sure we need to, then last week of August would be fine.

If you guys sign Rooney it would be akin to what Gav was saying about Thiago going to Utd for the rest of the PL supporters.

everyone should fear if Mourinho lands Rooney.

At UTD Rooney does a lot of the background stuff that goes unnoticed, but with the creativity Chelsea have right across the middle and center then dropping Rooney in there would keep him freed up.

A Rooney with time to get the head up is something every team should fear.

there is everything in the Chelsea team currently to help a player like Rooney shine:o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement