Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Seeing as we dont really seem to be in the market for a CM I dont think our transfers will effect Utd and vice versa, I do hope we dont go for Rooney though.

Leiva wrote: »
    If you guys sign Rooney it would be akin to what Gav was saying about Thiago going to Utd for the rest of the PL supporters.

everyone should fear if Mourinho lands Rooney.

At UTD Rooney does a lot of the background stuff that goes unnoticed, but with the creativity Chelsea have right across the middle and center then dropping Rooney in there would keep him freed up.

A Rooney with time to get the head up is something every team should fear.

there is everything in the Chelsea team currently to help a player like Rooney shine:o

Not doubting his quality but I'd rather go forward with Lukaku.

If Rooney does come in I reckon Torres and his big wages will be out the door but I'd much rather see Ba go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

GavRedKing wrote: »

If Rooney does come in I reckon Torres and his big wages will be out the door but I'd much rather see Ba go.

Ba's signing in Jan (inc wages) is over €27mil.

its gonna take some payoff to shift him at this stage

would Torres be the cheaper option to move on?

Leiva wrote: »
    Ba's signing in Jan (inc wages) is over £27mil.

its gonna take some payoff to shift him at this stage

would Torres be the cheaper option to move on?

I reckon we'd do well to get back 10 million on Ba maybe we could get back 10-15 on Torres but Torres is on 175k a week which would be a huge stumbling block, then Torres has image rights in his contract too so thats another thing to consider.

I reckon there'd be more in fo Torres then Ba and for Rooneys huge wages to come in I reckon it would have to be at Torres expense.

Time will tell, I cant see us moving for Rooney until after both clubs are done pre-season though but didnt Rooney pick up a knock recently that ruled him out of Utds tour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

when you read moyes comments about rooney i get the feeling they are more or less forcing him to ask for a transfer

Wayne Rooney has been left in no doubt regarding his position at Manchester United with David Moyes, the manager, issuing a stark message that the striker is considered vital only if "we had an injury to Robin van Persie". Ed Woodward, United's executive vice-chairman, also underlined the hardline stance towards Rooney, claiming the club have no fear of a player's deal running down.

With Rooney not for sale and Woodward insisting there are no plans to open contract talks despite the England international entering the last two years of a deal that pays £250,000 a week, Moyes urged Rooney to prove his worth. "Wayne can play up on his own, he can play dropped in. Overall my thought on Wayne is, if for any reason we had an injury to Robin van Persie, we'll need him," said Moyes, speaking in Bangkok before United flew to Sydney for the next leg of their tour.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/14/wayne-rooney-david-moyes-manchester-united

Could also be a battle cry for Rooney, a sort of prove your worth call.

Part of the reason Utd wont want to sell and especially to us is if they lose Rooney they will lose a top talent, although Chico can back up RVP easily with his goal scoring record.

Utd, if they do sell will be reluctant to sell to us or Arsenal but if Rooney wants out publicy again what can they do really only try and get the most money they can for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Could also be a battle cry for Rooney, a sort of prove your worth call.

Part of the reason Utd wont want to sell and especially to us is if they lose Rooney they will lose a top talent, although Chico can back up RVP easily with his goal scoring record.

Utd, if they do sell will be reluctant to sell to us or Arsenal but if Rooney wants out publicy again what can they do really only try and get the most money they can for him.

One thing about Rooney is he can fill more column inches than the grassy knoll regarding conspiracy theories. He is a fine player that does need to be kept in mind and would improve most teams in the world.

I am not sure he is the type of player that responds to the public kick up the behind, if it is a prove your worth call I think it might backfire.

It is possible they are trying to force him into handing in a transfer request from either a PR or revenue generating point of view thing is he is expensive. There will be no more than half a dozen teams perhaps that could afford him, of those how many actually want him, if he hands in a transfer request he may well have to take a pay cut.

As for us yea he would improve the team but I am not sure even we can afford him unless Torres moves on.

One thing about Rooney is he can fill more column inches than the grassy knoll regarding conspiracy theories. He is a fine player that does need to be kept in mind and would improve most teams in the world.

I am not sure he is the type of player that responds to the public kick up the behind, if it is a prove your worth call I think it might backfire.

It is possible they are trying to force him into handing in a transfer request from either a PR or revenue generating point of view thing is he is expensive. There will be no more than half a dozen teams perhaps that could afford him, of those how many actually want him, if he hands in a transfer request he may well have to take a pay cut.

As for us yea he would improve the team but I am not sure even we can afford him unless Torres moves on.

I reckon a deal could be done anyway.

Although I do reckon it hinges on what we want to do with Torres, we seem to be going down the spend big on youth approach so spending on Rooney would go against the clubs recent approach.

I do agree, the clubs that could afford Rooney are few and far between, Arsenal, Us, Barca, Real, PSG, Monaco seem to be about it.

Arsenal seem to be in for Higuain or Suarez but Wenger didnt rule out Rooney.
    We havent signed a CF and looking likely we've missed out on Cavani.
    Barca have signed Neymar so cant seem them spending more on another CF when CB is a huge issue.
    Real seem to want Cavani or Suarez to go up against Benzema.
    PSG have Ibra, Lavezzi and they could be joined by Cavani soon, they wont go after him IMO.
    Monaco, same boat as PSG, I just cant see them going for Rooney, especially since they signed Falcao.

With Utds CF options, RVP, Chico, Henriquez, Welbeck they're able to leave him go and theyve got Kagawa to play in the CAM position so while hes not surplus to requirements hes not irreplaceable in the current squad.

What dye reckon about the Ivanovic to PSG links?

Would probably mean Kalas would get more game time as 4th choice CB and maybe at RB too.

• Advertisement

Our 1st home game fo the season, agaisnt Hull sold out after a few hours today.

:eek:

Was hoping to get over to it, didnt think it would sell out so quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

That's a shame, I imagine everyone wants to see the return of the special one.
    already excited :)

That's a shame, I imagine everyone wants to see the return of the special one.
    already excited :)

At least its prime time on Sky Sunday afternoon.

Any excuse for a few sneaky drinks. :pac:

Khedira looks like a no go after this.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/221467.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Personally I think Rooney would be a brilliant signing, think he would bang them in with the supply he'd be getting. Wages are massive though and I can't see United selling to us anyway.

Thorgan Hazard Zulte Waregem for a second season's loan according to Twitterland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'd only take Rooney if he took a pay cut and proved it was a move for footballing reasons. The striker position would be his own but in no way would I pay his ridiculous wages.

Lukker- wrote: »
    I'd only take Rooney if he took a pay cut and proved it was a move for footballing reasons. The striker position would be his own but in no way would I pay his ridiculous wages.

Rooneys being on mental money for 3/4 years, there is no moneytary incentive in the game for him really, hes not going to earn more then what hes already on if he was to move.

A move would be, IMO, motivated by wanting out and starting a fresh under a new manager, hes only known 2 managers really in his time, Fergie and Moyes and there was a legal battle with one of them whos now his new boss.

The Rooney exit talk has come around twice and both times hes gotten new contracts, I dont think that will happen this time TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I am starting to like the idea of Rooney a bit more..

We need to sell a striker though if we are to get him..

Probably Torres if it was to happen but I'm struggling to think of many clubs willing to buy either Torres or Ba.

Napoli maybe after they sell Cavani but will Rafa be allowed to spend on Torres and would he go to Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

same was waiting for it to open up to members to get 2 tickets. It was only open to members to get 1 ticket..shocking :(

• Advertisement

I dont know if Ba would be open to a move either, hes at a big club finally, and spent only 6 months there.

Hes got a taste for success (Europa League) and will surely want to prove himself at the club.

Dont see us selling Ba.

So its got to be Torres, who seems like hes intent on staying too, hes been saying the right stuff anyway since the end of last season.

Soby wrote: »
    same was waiting for it to open up to members to get 2 tickets. It was only open to members to get 1 ticket..shocking :(

Ya was hoping to get a ticket alright for a Birthday treat for myself but not to be.

Tickets might pop up on Viagogo but waiting for them could be a disaster too IMO.
    I dont know if Ba would be open to a move either, hes at a big club finally, and spent only 6 months there.

Hes got a taste for success (Europa League) and will surely want to prove himself at the club.

Dont see us selling Ba.

So its got to be Torres, who seems like hes intent on staying too, hes been saying the right stuff anyway since the end of last season.

Agreed, neither will want to leave and both have time left on their contracts and I cant see Lukaku out on loan again, we'll hardly a 4th 1st team CF will we, especially when we usually play with 1 up top and Rooney wouldnt be a better replacement for Mata, Oscar or Hazard in the positions behind a CF at the moment.

Ya was hoping to get a ticket alright for a Birthday treat for myself but not to be.

Tickets might pop up on Viagogo but waiting for them could be a disaster too IMO.

Agreed, neither will want to leave and both have time left on their contracts and I cant see Lukaku out on loan again, we'll hardly a 4th 1st team CF will we, especially when we usually play with 1 up top and Rooney wouldnt be a better replacement for Mata, Oscar or Hazard in the positions behind a CF at the moment.

Yeah do we really need a 4th? We coped grand with 2 from January on last season and we had some amount of games in that period..

4 probably is too much and will just lead to one or 2 being unhappy and Lukaku not getting as much game time as we'd hope.

Our 3 strikers atm might not be top class (well they arent IMO anyway) but least there is good competition though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Can't really see welbeck as a third choice striker should Rooney go with pieces of sublime skill as thishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jkGccbrW1g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'd agree none of them are top class but all 3 are good enough to score 15-20 goals a season, problem is we need one of them to get that amount in the league if we want to win it.

Mata, Luiz, Oscar and Torres havent met the squad yet so Ba and Lukaku getting a head start in pre-season will be a huge opportunity to knock Torres to 3rd choice between them.

Torres has to come back from pre-season and show Jose he wants it in his effort and work rate and in his quality as well.

Theres no more fluffing about now, Jose will just axe him, its all down to Torres, same goes for Oscar, hes liekly to be dropped fromthe starting XI too so a bullish pre-season is important for both of them.

I dunno if Torres thrives on competition either, he certaintly didnt when Didier was here and he hasnt seemed to with Spain either

I dunno if Torres thrives on competition either, he certaintly didnt when Didier was here and he hasnt seemed to with Spain either

We cant pander to him either this season, not with Lukaku coming back.

If it was just himself and Ba and a youngster then maybe but not with 2 other CF's and a manager and board wanting to win back the EPL.

We could be wrong Torres could go onto score bucketloads in the EPL this coming season but I reckon Rooney and Lukaku would score more then Ba and Torres if all were starting week in week out as a CF.

With regard to our strikers it is a world cup year so hopefully that might push them on. Whilst they may not be good enough to win a Champions League they are good enough to win a Premier League.

We are also assuming everything will go great at Monaco as well, it might be that there is a clause in Falcao's contract as rumored that lets him head off from next January so he might be available then (though if that does exist it is more likely for RM than us). My gut feeling is that is BS though.

I would like us to start with Torres as 1st choice, if we stay the same as we are now with the strikers!

I think all round hes better than Lukaku and Ba, and maybe he should be given a chance (again).. in fairness he had a good season last season.

I would like us to start with Torres as 1st choice, if we stay the same as we are now with the strikers!

I think all round hes better than Lukaku and Ba, and maybe he should be given a chance (again).. in fairness he had a good season last season.

Not in the league he was really poor despite having much more game time than Ba from January onwards he managed just 1 goal.

• Advertisement

Not in the league he was really poor despite having much more game time than Ba from January onwards he managed just 1 goal.

He is capable of scoring 20 goals in the league.

Is their a better man than Jose to get the best out of a player?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Surely not this Torres debate again. He's done ok, he had a good finish to the season, his best performances were in the Europa League, in the Premier League he simply didn't score enough.

If we don't sign a new striker then surely it must be Lukaku as the number one striker. Such an impressive player with so much going for him.

He certainly was capable I hope he still is because I would doubt very much he will move on until his contract is up

He certainly was capable I hope he still is because I would doubt very much he will move on until his contract is up

Who'd take on his wages anyway?

He'd have to want to leave and with the success hes had with us why would he leave at his age?

Hopefully the 3 we have will do the business next year but its our weakest position at the moment followed closely by CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

peteeeed wrote: »

Cavanis soon to be ex-chairman -
    “Cavani is attached only to the money,” he told Tutto Napoli.

How long before the Zlatan links to us comes out?

FWIW, I'd take Zlatan but his wages even make Rooneys look cheap.

If the right deal was sounded out I'd snap him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Cavanis soon to be ex-chairman -

How long before the Zlatan links to us comes out?

Hopefully not! A great player but he's nearly 32.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Hopefully not! A great player but he's nearly 32.

Oct/Nov I'm sure.

Zlatan has big respect for Jose but I dont think a deal can be done anyway his wages are too high even for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

FWIW, I'd take Zlatan but his wages even make Rooneys look cheap.

If the right deal was sounded out I'd snap him up.

I'd go the other way. I'd be happy with a decent deal for Rooney if we got two good seasons out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Pfft, we have Lukaku. Give him a fair crack at first team football for Chelsea I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I'd give Lukaku a chance too. But my guess is Mourinho wants to hit the ground running by winning the EPL. He might like a proven and experienced goalscorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I get the feeling that the beginning, middle and end of the Rooney saga is his weekly wage. Most sides in the world would take Man U's arm off at any asking price under £30m (although I notice £40m+ being floated fancifully around).

But quarter of a million pound a week for a striker that doesn't keep care of his fitness and health? Might be more worth our while leaving him on the Man u books just to have him sucking a million a month out of their coffers.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    I get the feeling that the beginning, middle and end of the Rooney saga is his weekly wage. Most sides in the world would take Man U's arm off at any asking price under £30m (although I notice £40m+ being floated fancifully around).

But quarter of a million pound a week for a striker that doesn't keep care of his fitness and health? Might be more worth our while leaving him on the Man u books just to have him sucking a million a month out of their coffers.

Maybe a change of club would change his attitude though?

A meeting with Jose would feature a lot and his fitness and supposed lifestyle would surely be brought up.

• Advertisement

Maybe a change of club would change his attitude though?

A meeting with Jose would feature a lot and his fitness and supposed lifestyle would surely be brought up.

A similar thought had occurred to me - that if anyone stood a chance of getting the best out of Rooney, it might be Jose. But then SAF was no mug and he watched a distinct decline in Rooney's prowess on his watch.

I think Rooney is a throwback to the, ahem, "culturally old-fashioned" type of footballer - the Gazza/Merson type of yesteryear and the Andy Carroll type today. Most English footballers are working-class lads who find themselves with incredible wealth at a young age, so it's easy enough to go off the rails. But even the likes of JT, who sometimes seems to attract trouble like a magnet, understands that the whole thing is over once they can't turn in a performance on the pitch.

Rooney's problem is twofold (a) he's such a natural talent I believe he thinks it impossible that he won't always be in demand and (b) he got such a result in terms of wages the last time he threatened to up sticks, he thinks he'll do at least as well again.

From a Chelsea fan's perspective, i'd be looking at how much do you pay for him (£25m - £28m) and perhaps more importantly, what's his weekly coin (£120k - 140k tops).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Duck Soup wrote: »
    From a Chelsea fan's perspective, i'd be looking at how much do you pay for him (£25m - £28m) and perhaps more importantly, what's his weekly coin (£120k - 140k tops).

No player is going to take a pay cut of over 100 grand. Nobody. I don't care who they are so that is pie in the sky wages right there.

Realistically I think he would agree to match Torres wages. So that might involve coming down a few grand. That's a bit more reasonable.

Kirby wrote: »
    No player is going to take a pay cut of over 100 grand. Nobody. I don't care who they are so that is pie in the sky wages right there.

Realistically I think he would agree to match Torres wages. So that might involve coming down a few grand. That's a bit more reasonable.

You're right - and that's kind of my point.

Rooney ain't worth £250,000 a week to Man U, so they want him off their books, sooner rather than later.

Anyone who wants to sign him is not going to give him the breath of £0.25m a week either. Torres, I believe, is in the region of £175,000 a week.

Both Torres and Rooney negotiated those deals when the perception was they were world-class players at the very peak of their game. Very few people would say either of them's worth it now.

So Rooney to come in at £175,000, right at the top of the Chelsea wage structure? Can't see it happening.

Take a step back and you begin to see what Moyes is doing with his public pronouncements about Rooney being a RVP back-up.

Rooney's being left with a choice. Carry on taking the quarter mill for not too much work for another couple of years, but do so in the knowledge that you'll be a 30 year old on the slide when your contract expires. Or take a substantial hit here and now with a transfer, but considerably improve your chances of earning six figures a week for a good few years more.

Gotta agree with Kirby, takig a hit of 100k Gross a week wouldnt go down to well if Rooney came to the table with his agent and then told his family, ya we're upping sticks to London but guess what I'm down about 400K a month.

The problem is, Chelsea will be rode regarding wages by players in the Rooney bracket in terms of ability, they're all going to cost a fortune, look at Hazard, his agent sought out and got him the best deal possible, skipping Utd as we offered more to both parties.

Thats the price you pay for being a rich club and with a reputation for spending fairly freely.

Our options are looking limited, missed Falcao, Gomez, Cavani, Lewandoski, Jose has no interest in Higuain but seemingly Utd dont have much intrest in keeping Rooney which worries me,

For the money theyed get from us and saving on Rooneys wages theyed be in a great position to bring in 2 or 3 players.

So a f**k up by club doctors, nearly cost Ramires his international future.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/chelsea-sorry-for-ramires-confusion-29423779.html
    A Chelsea spokesman said: "Contrary to media reports, Chelsea Football Club can confirm that Ramires was not available to play for Brazil in friendly matches against Russia and Italy in March of this year due to injury.

"The left adductor muscle injury was confirmed following an MRI scan and he underwent treatment at Chelsea FC's medical department from March 17 to March 28.

"Throughout this time information was relayed to the Brazilian national team doctor in the usual way and the treatment was agreed between the club and national team.

"However, Chelsea FC would like to apologise that it was not made clear when Ramires would be able to report back to the national squad."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement