Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

It wouldn't surprise me if he starts with Mata from the right, Schurrle from the left with Hazard in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

It wouldn't surprise me if he starts with Mata from the right, Schurrle from the left with Hazard in the middle.

Hazard playing centrally, maybe that is the next step for him.

Moving from the wing to the centre has been the switch that seemingly moved players like Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka etc from very good to world class.

Even Gareth Bale.

Hazard playing centrally, maybe that is the next step for him.

Moving from the wing to the centre has been the switch that seemingly moved players like Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka etc from very good to world class.

I agree, I think he had to play wide last season because he offers the kind of penetration from wide that neither Oscar or Mata do. Now with Schurrle and De Bruyne available they offer viable options in wide areas, giving Hazard the chance to play through the middle, like he's always wanted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I agree, I think he had to play wide last season because he offers the kind of penetration from wide that neither Oscar or Mata do. Now with Schurrle and De Bruyne available they offer viable options in wide areas, giving Hazard the chance to play through the middle, like he's always wanted to.

Yeah that could very well be Jose's thinking..

Look at this video, its frightening how good he could be lads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Well its good that manager has come out and said, doesnt really mean much but I cant seriously see either being sold.

Theres a core of about 5 players this team is being built around and they're right at the heart of it.

Pedantic.....isnt it 8 years?

:P

It is indeed, and I wish that kid had run another 3 miles :D

Bazziiinggg!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Yeah that could very well be Jose's thinking..

Look at this video, its frightening how good he could be lads...

Nice video, the boy has got great potential ...

I hope we can hold on to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The only way I can see Hazard upping sticks if either Barca or Real come in, more likely Real and offer us stupid money for him but I cant see that happening for a few years anyway.

Hazards 1st year was brilliant, even better then Matas 1st year so imagine how good he'll be this year coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

So there I was at the counter of JFK airport, had a quick glance round behind me, see a young lad in a Chelsea Jersey, thought to myself "ha! He looks just like Ake"..turned back to the counter.
    Then it hit me,the U21's were supposed to be playing a game in NY on the 17th.
    Turned back round and there behind me was the U21 squad! I was a tad starstruck to say the least.
    Didn't have time to say hello/get a few pics as I had to rush, boy was I sickened! Still though, nice to see a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

GavRedKing wrote: »

Yea I believe he wants to continue living in London but he cannot extend the size of his trophy cabinet in his apartment and felt this was the best thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Latest drivel rumour - Mourinho to return to Inter in three years:
    http://www.marca.com/2013/07/20/futbol/futbol_internacional/calcio/1374329121.html

Also reported on some rubbish English language sources.

Truly, paper never refuses ink. The 24-hour news cycle requires ever more content to feed the beast.

TBH I'm getting a little bit tired of all the rumours and am looking forward to a good squad settling down to the 13/14 campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Have to say Eden in the center excites me :)

McDave wrote: »
    Latest drivel rumour - Mourinho to return to Inter in three years:
    http://www.marca.com/2013/07/20/futbol/futbol_internacional/calcio/1374329121.html

Also reported on some rubbish English language sources.

Truly, paper never refuses ink. The 24-hour news cycle requires ever more content to feed the beast.

TBH I'm getting a little bit tired of all the rumours and am looking forward to a good squad settling down to the 13/14 campaign.

Yea the caviat that it was to manage Chelsea in the big ears cup but that is not much of a story " Jose wants to manage Chelsea in champions league final"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

One rumour with legs that was doing the rounds at the very outset of Jose's return was the move for Rooney. Even while all the attention was focussing on more 'glamorous' options like Falcao and Cavani.

According to the Telegraph, Chelsea are preparing a much larger bid: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10193077/Chelsea-ready-to-raise-the-stakes-in-pursuit-of-Wayne-Rooney-by-offering-Manchester-United-40m-deal.html

And Rooney is definitely making exit noises: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/20/wayne-rooney-alex-ferguson-manchester-united?guni=Keyword:news-grid%20main-2%20(Spare)%20Pickable%20with%20editable%20override:Pickable%20with%20editable%20override:Position3

I don't think Utd are going to refuse a large wedge for someone already deemed peripheral, and on the cusp of running down his contract. IMO Rooney to Chelsea is a strong probability. He's much more likely to help deliver the Premiership than Torres, who in turn will become an expensive luxury should Rooney clock in at Stamford Bridge.

Apart from that, it looks like Chelsea's squad is quite settled for now. Jose seems to be putting it up to Luiz to get his defensive act together. A rebuild of the defence is likelier to be undertaken at later stage - i.e. not this summer.

I'm still not convinced the current midfield is to Jose's liking. He won't like to see it overrun like it was on many occasions last season. He'll want to be able to compete with City and the more prosaic premiership battlers. Perhaps he can get some resilience out of Essien, but he won't get the dominance he enjoyed under Essien at his peak and Makelele. It's gone very quiet on de Rossi. But that bid could resurrect itself once the club focus is off Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

McDave wrote: »
    One rumour with legs that was doing the rounds at the very outset of Jose's return was the move for Rooney. Even while all the attention was focussing on more 'glamorous' options like Falcao and Cavani.

According to the Telegraph, Chelsea are preparing a much larger bid: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10193077/Chelsea-ready-to-raise-the-stakes-in-pursuit-of-Wayne-Rooney-by-offering-Manchester-United-40m-deal.html

And Rooney is definitely making exit noises: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/20/wayne-rooney-alex-ferguson-manchester-united?guni=Keyword:news-grid%20main-2%20(Spare)%20Pickable%20with%20editable%20override:Pickable%20with%20editable%20override:Position3

I don't think Utd are going to refuse a large wedge for someone already deemed peripheral, and on the cusp of running down his contract. IMO Rooney to Chelsea is a strong probability. He's much more likely to help deliver the Premiership than Torres, who in turn will become an expensive luxury should Rooney clock in at Stamford Bridge.

Apart from that, it looks like Chelsea's squad is quite settled for now. Jose seems to be putting it up to Luiz to get his defensive act together. A rebuild of the defence is likelier to be undertaken at later stage - i.e. not this summer.

I'm still not convinced the current midfield is to Jose's liking. He won't like to see it overrun like it was on many occasions last season. He'll want to be able to compete with City and the more prosaic premiership battlers. Perhaps he can get some resilience out of Essien, but he won't get the dominance he enjoyed under Essien at his peak and Makelele. It's gone very quiet on de Rossi. But that bid could resurrect itself once the club focus is off Rooney.

I think it will take quite a bid to get United to agree to sell Rooney to a domestic rival, especially one as strong as Chelsea. It's obvious that Rooney is looking to move now, and it may be the case that he will only consider Chelsea (I would bet that it is only Chelsea interested anyway).

The good news for Chelsea fans (well those that want him there) is that it seems United are quite happy to -

1) Have his exorbitant wages off the bill

We all know that his current contract is paying approximately €250,000 - €300,000 a week. Simply put, I don't think he deserves to be in that bracket anymore but when the hierarchy decide to pay someone as average as Ashley Young over €100,000 or someone as peripheral as Anderson not far off those wages either, then Rooney was probably always in a good negotiating position.

2) Have his disruptive influence out of the team

I called it (along with other posters) that his head was gone from the game a couple of months before the season ended. Moaning, throwing his arms in the air, stupid passes where he wasn't concentrating. Couple that with this now being his second transfer saga, and it's time to wave him out the door.

Saying that, Chelsea would still getting a player who for three years could bring genuine brilliance to the side. He could do it. I just don't know if he will for certain.

If he goes, he goes and he will be missed in ways. It will be weird seeing him in a different shirt but since 2010, there isn't a United fan who has felt the same about him. Great player to bring to battle, but he has had his time with United and should now move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Can't find any team news for the game...anyone?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Can't find any team news for the game...anyone?

Bertrand Traore starts, that's all I can find so far.

Schwarzer; Ivanovic, Chalobah, Terry (C), Bertrand; Essien, Marco van Ginkel; Traore,De Bruyne, Hazard; Lukak

#CFC team: Schwarzer - Ivanovic, JT, Chalobah, Bertrand - Moses, Essien, van Ginkel, Traore, Hazard - Lukaku

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Here is the line-up: Schwarzer; Ivanovic, Chalobah, Terry (C), Bertrand; Essien, Marco van Ginkel; Traore,De Bruyne, Hazard; Lukaku

Looks like De Bruyne is playing ahead of Moses.

Chelsea XI for 2nd half: Cech, Wallace, Kalas, Cahill, Cole, Ramires, van Ginkel, Moses, Hazard, Schurrle, Ba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Chelsea XI for 2nd half: Cech, Wallace, Kalas, Cahill, Cole, Ramires, van Ginkel, Moses, Hazard, Schurrle, Ba.

Anyone have a link? I'm struggling

Anyone have a link? I'm struggling

It looks like Chelsea TV on the web has gone down. Was watching away until it got to the studio and has just been a blank screen since....

Working now

1-0 Traore.

Good goal, Traore does well to get the ball out to De Bruyne, his delivery is clever and a fine finish by Traore. 1-0, much quicker and more fluid than the last game.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭chelseaaremagic

Lukaku wasting a few chances

Some goal from De Bruyne.....Looks like a nasty injury though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Great strike but that looks like a rough knee injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Feruz on

Stunning goal, great flick on from Lukaku, super strike. I really hope he is ok, really hope it doesn't hinder his season because those 30 minutes today and his performance in the last game were excellent, he could play a very big part this season.

Cracking ball from Traore completing a very impressive performance, Lukaku's run and finish just an indication of the kind of force he could be next season.

Really enjoyable half, the tempo has been good, the pressing has been aggressive, the build up sharp and creative, it's been much more like the kind of Chelsea we expect to see for next season rather than the performance in the last game. In particular Essien, Traore and Lukaku have all looked good, De Bruyne looked the pick of the bunch until his injury, which hopefully doesn't have a hugely negative effect on his upcoming season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭kessler182

Any word on McEachran's involvement in the tour? I was hoping he'd get some game time but he looks to be struggling to get included :/

kessler182 wrote: »
    Any word on McEachran's involvement in the tour? I was hoping he'd get some game time but he looks to be struggling to get included :/

He picked up a slight knock which is why he hasn't been involved in either game so far.

• Advertisement

Very nice by Wallace and McEachran, Moses scores with some poor goalkeeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Look who's back!

THO says KDB injury isnt that serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

The Kevin de Bruyne injury is "very small" according to TSO
    "The first assessment by the doctor was that it was not the ligaments for sure and if it is something in the meniscus, then it has to be a very small injury."

Linky

Edit. The Sgt just in before me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Look who's back!

THO says KDB injury isnt that serious

Good to see you back Sgt - thought you were gone AWOL.

• Advertisement

If we dont sign Rooney I'd still be happy with the squad thats if none of the main players were to be sold.

If Rooney does sign we'll be losing one of Torres or Ba.

If we do sign Rooney cant see it happening before the ManU v Chelsea game at the end of August. I suppose that would give us 5 days to complete a transfer of Ba or Torres, but I just cannot see anyone buying Torres from us his salary is just too high. Sadly I think Ba would be the make weight, I really think he is a quality player that we should be hanging on to but we really dont need 4 strikers.

Shame we wont get a work permit for Wallace he looks close to being a starter already, could well be a peach for the future.

If Utd want to keep until after that game then I reckon we wont chase him for the price Utd want.

As you said it gives us limited time to offload Torres or Ba so makes us weaker if a team wants either of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Given a choice, Chelsea should shed Demba Ba. He has been hopeless for Chelsea, and I wouldn't like to see him being used even in Cup games. He never put in a performance for Chelsea. Scored one or two spectacularly acrobatic goals, but that was glossing over a very, painfully mediocre-to-poor career at Chelsea so far.

For all his flaws, Torres played a huge part in getting Chelsea to a second European Trophy in as many years. He chipped in with some excellent build-up play and is a much better player than Ba. The only thing against Torres (aside from the obvious of not banging the goals in for fun) is that he would be on huge wages and it might be no harm to shed them either.

I would also say this; can you imagine the physicality and the power that a top two of Rooney and Lukaku would have.... Jesus, there's not a back 4 anywhere who would be able to physically deal with the raw power the two of them would have. That's if they'd be played together...

I really don't get the dislike of Ba he does much more work off the ball than Torres does, not seen him sulk yet. Torres main goals contribution came in a second rate competition against second rate teams, even Moses scored a few in that competition.

I don't see any point in yet more Ba V Nando debates but from my point of view in the league for the second half of last season neither were great but Ba was much better.

With Lukaku, it looks like he'll be 1st choice next year unless we get Rooney, but I do reckon that having a player like Rooney would make a title challenge alot easier, IMO our current 3 CF's are all about the same level but if we sign Rooney we'd be quids in for at least 2/3 years anyway.

If we don't get a new striker I would be very surprised as well if Lukaku does not get first shot at starting.

In his recent interview where TSHO discussed Torres it was a long way from complimentary but of course fell short of being openly critical. From what I read of the interview he basically says Nando needs his pace to be an effective striker and does not do well when closed down. One thing you would say about Lukaku is he can trot along a bit.

The full group will be available to TSHO from Sunday it will be interesting to see what happens in the US.

For those that missed the interview here it is.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=2138359.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

Lukakus pace and power is something that sets him apart from Ba and Torres, signign Rooney would cause a massive, yet welcomed headache of what to dow ith Lukkau.

Way I see it is Rooney gets signed hes 1st choice striker pushing the others to fight for their places and probably one of them out the door.

We could drop Rooney into a position behind a CF but hes wasted there IMO, throw him up top and he'll get 25-30 goals a season.

The way I see it is, if we do want Rooney, throw Utd 30-35 million and very soon, that money will go into trying to get Cesc in who would probably cost in and around 40million and both teams are fairly happy and have addressed positions that needed to be added to.

The problem is Barca dont want to lose Cec so any deal will be some way off which will probably mean any deal for Rooney will be pushed back as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

If we dont get Rooney I still think we'll be very close to the title this year and thats due to changes at both Manchester clubs but then Arsenal and Spurs will be very close too I reckon.

Its going to be the best EPL season ever next year IMO as the playing field for about 6 or 7 teams is close enough, closer then recent years anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement