Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Ye, very much looking forward to seeing the team play against competitive opposition and with a full compliment of players available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I reckon the satrting XI will be a good indicator as to what will start the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

peteeeed wrote: »

Ha ha misread that though he had resigned which I though was overdue.

I hope he is just cover for Blackman if he is away with the U21's or such like

Ha ha misread that though he had resigned which I though was overdue.

I hope he is just cover for Blackman if he is away with the U21's or such like

haha quick edit in order

• Advertisement

Interesting tweet from Football Planet which I hadn't thought of Mata, Hazard and Oscar cost Chelsea ST£80.5m.

And Bale will cost RM ST£100m ish

Go figure

Interesting tweet from Football Planet which I hadn't thought of Mata, Hazard and Oscar cost Chelsea ST£80.5m.

And Bale will cost RM ST£100m ish

Go figure

It just goes to show how mad football transfers can get.

Although Levy & Spurs dont want to sell and Bale has I think 4 years left on his contract so anything Real offered would have to have been stupid money.

Hes over valued by about 40-50 million I reckon but again its all down to what a club is willing to pay to get him.

My main gripe is hes not 20 million more then Ronaldo when he left Utd, it must surely put Ronaldos and Messis transfer worth well in excess of 200 million if Bale goes for 100 Million.

Jose saying from America that the 6 coming back from Confed cup action will play less then 45 mins with the rest of the squad who went to Asia getting at least 45 mins.

Hes spilt them into 2 groups and the 6 that were in Brazil are mainly doing fitness work combined with a few drills.

peteeeed wrote: »

Dya know what I love about the work permit, here you have a guy whos capped at international level for his country and clearly a very good professional footballer but they still have to make a case for a work permit when hes probably going to be on at least 5k - 10k a week and adding to the economy.

Its not like hes going to be leeching off the goverment for the social for the next few years.

I'm not sure of Britains immigration laws and work permits for Non-Eu members but surely a talented football should be exempt, e.g. Wallace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

GavRedKing wrote: »
    This one, 92-93,

My first aswell, still have it along with all the others,

Except for the blue and gold umbro centenary shirt(the season we won our 2nd title with TSHO), twas stolen outta my car(along with the black and silver away) while I was playing a football match!

This is my last away kit I'm sure, although I do like this seasons away jersey.

new-chelsea-away-shirt.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Gav, I seen your comment in the Arsenal thread where you mentioned that Rooney (if he joined) would stifle Lukaku's development, but could they not play together in Mourinho's preferred 4-2-3-1?

____________Lukaku_____________

Hazard______Rooney__________Mata

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

Corvo wrote: »
    Gav, I seen your comment in the Arsenal thread where you mentioned that Rooney (if he joined) would stifle Lukaku's development, but could they not play together in Mourinho's preferred 4-2-3-1?

Would that not put Rooney in the same scenario as Utd,
    I thought the whole issue was him wanting to be the main striker, not playing a supporting role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Killinator wrote: »
    Would that not put Rooney in the same scenario as Utd,
    I thought the whole issue was him wanting to be the main striker, not playing a supporting role.

I think Rooney was happy enough when playing there, he gets plenty involved as a main striker in that position, especially due to Van Persie often dropping deep to link also. They were pretty devastating together when played like that. They swapped around often which created more space for everyone and Rooney then had his chances.

Plus, Rooney has always played that number 10 role no matter who he was paired with so I dont think he has a problem with it. I also think Mourinho would be able to bring him round.

He only played as a number 9 once for United really on a consistent basis and that was in 09/10. Mind you he was devastating.

I think the problems stemmed from being an early substitute and playing in center midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

What times the match on tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Its not hate, its just I'd take Torres over Ba as a footballer any day of the week, his contribution to the team when not scoring is still very good.

It wont matter a bo**ocks either way come August 18th as Lukaku will start ahead of both for the first few games anyway and if he can score goals then both will struggle to get game time ahead of the Belgian and if Rooney is bought then one of them will be sold off.

Ok can anyone dig out a state showing how many goals we've scored as a team with Ba vs Torres playing and put this to bed?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Johner wrote: »
    What times the match on tonight?

1 am I think....will try my best to stay up for it....

Cech; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry (c), Cole; Ramires, Van Ginkel; Hazard, Oscar, Moses; Lukaku.

Subs: Schwarzer, Bertrand, Azpilicueta, D Luiz, Essien, Mikel, Mata, Torres, Ba.

• Advertisement

Do my best for the first half, will be tough g I ingredients after that. Hasn't Jose now started Lukaku in all but one of the games so far? Hope he can continue his scoring record tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Will be nice to see Lukaku and Van Ginkel in action. Inter "should be" easy to beat. And this comes from guy drinking coffe from Inter mug...

Great play by Moses, lovely finish by Oscar.

Oscar making a play to be starting number 10.

Good first half performance, Inter looking a bit short on ideas. Oscar, Hazard and Moses all very bright, Ramires and Van Ginkel competing and doing well in midfield with the back four solid. Lukaku hasn't had much in the way of chances but he's run selflessly. 2-0, can't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Oscar and Van Ginkel looked good, the Milan sending-off effectively killed the game as a spectacle in the second half. What match is up next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

We seem to have snuck in a new signing......

Stipe Perica a 6ft 3in Croatian under-21 international signed from NK Zadar.

Apparently Man City were sniffing round him. :)

Corvo wrote: »

I dont think hes wasted there but his best position is still up top, you can re-jig the 3 behind Rooney any which way you like and I reckon he'd get 20 in the league at least and probably hit 30 or more for the season if he played exclusively up top.

I'd also rather Oscar, Hazard or Mata in the number 10 position, no offence to Rooney hes a fantastic footballer but its a more natural position for those players.

I'd play him through the middle anyway and watch him flourish.

Strange reports on the radio this morning of Ronaldo going back to ManU (which would be an absolutely fantastic signing for them). I would imagine to fund it Rooney would be sold there might be more legs in this yet.

• Advertisement

That was from The Star and Newstalk, I'd wait until something more concrete pops up.

Think the story goes to get Bale they must sell Ronaldo, which would probably mean Utd would have to sell Rooney.

TBH I cant see Real wanting to sell CR7, hes twice the player Bale is so selling the 2nd best player in the world to bring in a guy who isnt up to his standard makes no sense, unless Real go full retard and you never go full retard.

That was some goal by Oscar last night, not just the finish but the whole passage of play the steal by Van Ginkel, the break by Moses and the support by Lukaku bodes well for the future.

Is there anything to be read into Ba replacing Lukaku and Nando getting just 18 minutes? The match against AC on Sunday might tell a story I guess.

That was from The Star and Newstalk, I'd wait until something more concrete pops up.

Think the story goes to get Bale they must sell Ronaldo, which would probably mean Utd would have to sell Rooney.

TBH I cant see Real wanting to sell CR7, hes twice the player Bale is so selling the 2nd best player in the world to bring in a guy who isnt up to his standard makes no sense, unless Real go full retard and you never go full retard.

Absolutely RM would lose out in a big way swapping Ronaldo with Bale effectively but (wild speculation time) if he has let it be known he will not be signing a new contract they might actually have little option. I would say there are a lot of ManU supporters crossing fingers, toes and everything else hoping this happens. Possibly the same as us when we were hoping TSHO would replace the interim one.

Is there anything to be read into Ba replacing Lukaku and Nando getting just 18 minutes? The match against AC on Sunday might tell a story I guess.

Nah, Jose said the guys at the Confeds were behind in fitness and had to be managed more so then the guys that were in Asia and that they wouldnt be getting the same playing time as those who had a full pre-season.

Makes sense, last thing we need is one of them going down injured in their firstgame.

Although Oscar started so he probably judged Oscar to be ahead of Mata in fitness terms and slotted him into the number 10 role with Schurrle, KSB and Lamps not 100%.

Absolutely RM would lose out in a big way swapping Ronaldo with Bale effectively but (wild speculation time) if he has let it be known he will not be signing a new contract they might actually have little option. I would say there are a lot of ManU supporters crossing fingers, toes and everything else hoping this happens. Possibly the same as us when we were hoping TSHO would replace the interim one.

He'd be a great assest to Utd and be brilliant to have him back in the EPL, I suppose stranger things have happened in a transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

• Advertisement

Check out some fo the pics from this.

Priceless, theres a few of some "tasty" 50-50s between Luiz & Lukaku and Luiz & Ivanovic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2382348/David-Luiz-trains-lookalike-Chelsea-prepare-Inter-Milan.html

That doppelganger looks more like Luiz than Luiz (which I know sounds a bit like Charlie Chaplin coming 3rd in a Charlie Chaplin lookalike competition once upon a time) but you have to wonder why does he have a Ramires shirt?

He seems to have brushed Lukaku aside quite well which is no mean feat as Lukaku is a big boy.

That doppelganger looks more like Luiz than Luiz (which I know sounds a bit like Charlie Chaplin coming 3rd in a Charlie Chaplin lookalike competition once upon a time) but you have to wonder why does he have a Ramires shirt?

He seems to have brushed Lukaku aside quite well which is no mean feat as Lukaku is a big boy.

Luiz does very well on those 50/50's although alot of time he really throws his full weight into and elads with the hip/thighs and brushes people aside, hes led with the elbow too which is very dangerous and hopefully something he can cut out.

That one with Ivanovic looks like nobody is backing out, it wont end well.

Hopefully that kind of attitude will rub off on Jose and he sees what Luiz can bring to the team i just cant see him being sold anyway no matter offer comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Anyone else catch the game last night? Thoughts? I was very impressed by Moses and Van Ginkel, the amount of energy we'd have if we played Ramires and Van Ginkel at CM would be dangerous. Campagnaro's tackle on Terry was sick, in a preseason game it's disgraceful.

Bertser wrote: »
    Anyone else catch the game last night? Thoughts? I was very impressed by Moses and Van Ginkel, the amount of energy we'd have if we played Ramires and Van Ginkel at CM would be dangerous. Campagnaro's tackle on Terry was sick, in a preseason game it's disgraceful.

i havent seen the game but saw the tackle on joe.ie the amount of idiots on that site saying they hoped terry got his leg broken, typical brave men typing on their little keyboards . i have it taped so will watch it after work

• Advertisement

It really was a wreckless tackle, main thing was there was no damage done so we can just move along.

AC Milan or Valencia next up.

It really was a wreckless tackle, main thing was there was no damage done so we can just move along.

AC Milan or Valencia next up.

It's Milan up next. They've already played, and beaten, Valencia at the Mestalla.

It's Milan up next. They've already played, and beaten, Valencia at the Mestalla.

So they [play their game in Spain and ours is in America? :confused:

Thought it was somesort of mickey mouse tournament and it was all in America?

Ah well I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

So they [play their game in Spain and ours is in America? :confused:

Thought it was somesort of mickey mouse tournament and it was all in America?

Ah well I guess.

Milan were playing in the Audi cup a few days later so it made no sense for them to travel all the way to USA for one game then back to Germany .

I see Thorgan Hazard has been made captain of Zulte Waregem , loads of players unhappy about that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

So, four weeks to go before the transfer window closes.

Into the squad: De Bruyne, Essien, Lukaku, Schurrle, Schwarzer, Van Ginkel.

*Rumoured* exits over the last month: Ivanovich, Luiz, Mata, Mikel, Torres.

*Rumoured* acquisitions: Cavani?, De Rossi, Falcao?, Khedira, Rooney.

Can we draw any conclusions at this stage?

First of all, I think we can assume Mourinho had a good idea what he wanted to do over the summer. He would have had a short-list of targets to buy, and of CFC players he needed to deal with. I think it's noteworthy that he came out very early in support of Ramires, but stayed silent for some time on Luiz, Mata and Torres. There were rumours that Jose had misgivings about some of the Spanish contingent and fears of importing discontent from Real Madrid, and I think he may have been sending out an early message that there will be no player power in CFC Mk2. Even for obvious stars, and fan favourites, like Mata.

Jose was very offhand about Luiz, and my guess is that he's putting it up to Sideshow to fit in to the scheme or ship out. He was also very unenthused about Torres. The Rooney rumour was one of the first out of the blocks, even as the focus was on Falcao and then Cavani. I still think Jose wants Rooney, but not at any price, and the "waiting for the Old Trafford fan reaction" ploy is an attempt to beat the fee down. Even if Rooney doesn't go through, Mourinho will still get a decent season out of Torres, and bring Lukaku along nicely.

The Khedira rumour seems to me to suggest that De Rossi is dead in the water, but that we still need new blood in that role. Lampard may be deployed there, but not for a whole premiership campaign.

As for the three acquisitions, they have all been fairly much on the QT, or in Schurrle's case, relatively smooth and unobtrusive. Even though Mourinho claims Rooney is the only transfer he needs, I think there will be one or two more before the window closes, and possibly quite smooth as well.

My guess is that Mourinho is broadly happy with the squad. Ideally he wants to shore up the defensive midfield, in order to protect a defence he doesn't intend to overhaul this season. And, for the right price, bring in a good striker to allow him to move on either Torres, or more likely, Ba. But if he can't recruit in either role, he'll make do with what he has for the upcoming season, and make more root and branch changes the following campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

There is no way Mata is going anywhere. Crazy of people to think that we would get rid of Mata.

Mata will be offered a new contract.

McDave wrote: »
    So, four weeks to go before the transfer window closes.

Into the squad: De Bruyne, Essien, Lukaku, Schurrle, Schwarzer, Van Ginkel.

*Rumoured* exits over the last month: Ivanovich, Luiz, Mata, Mikel, Torres.

*Rumoured* acquisitions: Cavani?, De Rossi, Falcao?, Khedira, Rooney.

Can we draw any conclusions at this stage?

First of all, I think we can assume Mourinho had a good idea what he wanted to do over the summer. He would have had a short-list of targets to buy, and of CFC players he needed to deal with. I think it's noteworthy that he came out very early in support of Ramires, but stayed silent for some time on Luiz, Mata and Torres. There were rumours that Jose had misgivings about some of the Spanish contingent and fears of importing discontent from Real Madrid, and I think he may have been sending out an early message that there will be no player power in CFC Mk2. Even for obvious stars, and fan favourites, like Mata.

Jose was very offhand about Luiz, and my guess is that he's putting it up to Sideshow to fit in to the scheme or ship out. He was also very unenthused about Torres. The Rooney rumour was one of the first out of the blocks, even as the focus was on Falcao and then Cavani. I still think Jose wants Rooney, but not at any price, and the "waiting for the Old Trafford fan reaction" ploy is an attempt to beat the fee down. Even if Rooney doesn't go through, Mourinho will still get a decent season out of Torres, and bring Lukaku along nicely.

The Khedira rumour seems to me to suggest that De Rossi is dead in the water, but that we still need new blood in that role. Lampard may be deployed there, but not for a whole premiership campaign.

As for the three acquisitions, they have all been fairly much on the QT, or in Schurrle's case, relatively smooth and unobtrusive. Even though Mourinho claims Rooney is the only transfer he needs, I think there will be one or two more before the window closes, and possibly quite smooth as well.

My guess is that Mourinho is broadly happy with the squad. Ideally he wants to shore up the defensive midfield, in order to protect a defence he doesn't intend to overhaul this season. And, for the right price, bring in a good striker to allow him to move on either Torres, or more likely, Ba. But if he can't recruit in either role, he'll make do with what he has for the upcoming season, and make more root and branch changes the following campaign.

If quality comes up in attack, DM and a young defender, we will buy, other wise a striker is the main target if one good enough is available for the right price

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement