Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Caveman1 wrote: »
    tinfoil-hat-guy.jpeg

I'm not implying any conspiracy, I'm simply pointing out that contrary to a previous posters surprise at a daily mail journalist writing a piece in support of Chelsea, that it is logical that a journalist writing for a paper with a xenophobic history should favour a club with a fan base known for similar views
    bullpost wrote: »
    So because a minority of Chelsea fans in the dim and distant past were members of extreme right-wing groups, the policy-makers at the Daily Mail sat down and instructed all its journalists to henceforth give up any existing club allegiances they had, and support Chelsea?

You sir have a very fertile imagination!

Of course that's not what I'm saying. My initial post was in reply to another poster expressing shock at the dail mail publishing a pro-Chelsea piece. My point was simply that it shouldn't come as any surprise, not that there's a pro-Chelsea policy at the daily mail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

2 very important games coming up, Reading & Newcastle away will be tricky, 6 points would be very welcome but we're coming down to the business end of the league and Reading will want points to ensure they stay up and Newcastle will want to win to make sure they're not dragged into the fight to stay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

GavRedKing wrote: »
    2 very important games coming up, Reading & Newcastle away will be tricky, 6 points would be very welcome but we're coming down to the business end of the league and Reading will want points to ensure they stay up and Newcastle will want to win to make sure they're not dragged into the fight to stay up.

We also have Wigan (H) before the Man City game, I think we would really need to take 9 points from those fixtures so there wouldn't be as much importance on the City game.

Although the way things are going we'd be lucky to get 4 points in those fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

What's all this talk of us making a move for Jack Butland?

Don't get me wrong, great goalkeeper, but we already have one of the best young keepers in world football in Thibaut Courtois?!

Only reason I could see us going for Butland is they want the core of the team to be English again... that, or we're going to cash in on Courtois when Barca come calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

blue-army wrote: »
    What's all this talk of us making a move for Jack Butland?

Don't get me wrong, great goalkeeper, but we already have one of the best young keepers in world football in Thibaut Courtois?!

Only reason I could see us going for Butland is they want the core of the team to be English again... that, or we're going to cash in on Courtois when Barca come calling.

I personally wouldn't call Butland a great keeper.
    He could turn out to be but he has no where near as much experience as Courtois who you rightly mention.
    I would imagine it's either agent talk or just complete paper bullsh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Drogba gone to galatasaray on 18 month deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

J.T. stays behind after Brentford game for a half hour to sign a few autographs.
    Nice.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2269488/John-Terry-stays-Griffin-Park-sign-autographs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Techless wrote: »
    Drogba gone to galatasaray on 18 month deal

Drogba & Sneijder, Galatasary aren't messing about, hope he tears up that league, what an absolute legend.

Seen talk on twitter linking Chelsea with a move for him, I'm glad there was no truth in it, he couldn't have left under better circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Rafa on the bring of being sacked in tomorrows paper The Star, could be BS.
    Roman not happy and the players have never warmed to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Drogba & Sneijder, Galatasary aren't messing about, hope he tears up that league, what an absolute legend.

Seen talk on twitter linking Chelsea with a move for him, I'm glad there was no truth in it, he couldn't have left under better circumstances.

Yea me too last kick for us wins big ears it could not get better than that. Leave him be the legend he is, if we make the Champions League next year I wonder????????

smuckers wrote: »
    Rafa on the bring of being sacked in tomorrows paper The Star, could be BS.
    Roman not happy and the players have never warmed to him

Hope its total BS.

Whos he going to bring in to replace him?

I think our last hope for the summer is Jose, if we dont get him who will Roman appoint for the next 6 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Hope its total BS.

Whos he going to bring in to replace him?

I think our last hope for the summer is Jose, if we dont get him who will Roman appoint for the next 6 months?

sport-graphics-2007_710521a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

That'd be an interesting one, I wonder if jose's aversion to working with roman again could be counteracted by how he'd love to show Benitez up by returning and bettering him, coupled with his lack of top level alternatives should he leave real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Why would Rafa get sacked now?where is this rumor coming from?

Someone said it was mentioned in the Star....I think. :confused:

• Advertisement

Yea it is in the Star alright

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/295741/?

They seem to be keeping going with this theme speaking last week about this also.

Much as I want the interim out until a replacement has been found we should stick with him or else someone like Felix Magath in the Gus role till the summer. One thing you could be reasonably sure of is Magath does not take prisoners

City away to QPR, theres a very small chance they could get caught , no chance Utd will drop points to Southampton at home IMO.

Arsenal have a tricky fixture against Liverpool and Spurs are away to Norwich.

Depending on how Arsenal & Spurs do we gould be sitting pretty in 3rd after Wednesday night providing we win of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Brentford player reveals extent of Chelsea's on-pitch tensions:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/28/brentford-chelsea-pitch-tension

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

The Benitez trick didnt work so im not surprised if he is facing the axe, every mananger win lose or draw faces the sack from RA. Benitez was never welcome at the club and its no big thing that his 'interim' job is on the line.

After all the messing about this season RA should swallow his pride and put all his resources in bringing back Jose.

Several reliable accounts on twitter suggesting Jack Butland is a target for Chelsea.
    If true it would suggest to me that Cech is the long term number 1 and a possible sale of Courtois.
    What do Chelsea fans think?

• Advertisement

S28382 wrote: »
    The Benitez trick didnt work so im not surprised if he is facing the axe, every mananger win lose or draw faces the sack from RA. Benitez was never welcome at the club and its no big thing that his 'interim' job is on the line.

After all the messing about this season RA should swallow his pride and put all his resources in bringing back Jose.

Agree with this part but it wont happen until the summer at the earliest IMO>

amiable wrote: »
    Several reliable accounts on twitter suggesting Jack Butland is a target for Chelsea.
    If true it would suggest to me that Cech is the long term number 1 and a possible sale of Courtois.

Cant see it happening, unless Atletico have insisted that Courtois is part of any deal involving Falcao.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Cant see it happening, unless Atletico have insisted that Courtois is part of any deal involving Falcao.

Torres & Courtois for Falcao works for me!

I can't see Courtois being happy to play second fiddle indefinitely to Cech.
    Cech is still young enough in terms of keepers age.

I can't see Courtois being happy to play second fiddle indefinitely to Cech.
    Cech is still young enough in terms of keepers age.

Cech is still young, hes only 30 but I'd rather not lose a keeper of Courtois caliber.

Been honest I havent seen much of Butland but from what I've seen of Courtois he is good enough now to walk in and take Cech's place if we ever wanted to sell Cech.

We bought Courtois for around €7.5million I think, arguably his valuation has gone up and I'd put him in the €12million bracket, I dont think seling Courtois as part of the Falcao deal would be worth it as we'd have made €4.5 from courtois which would have to be invested in Butland who would cost more then that.

In saying that, nothing surprises me with this club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Courtois is already a brilliant goalkeeper and we would be mad to let him go.
    Just look how hard it is for Utd to find a decent keeper

oh and BTW
    We will sign no one, we will win nothing and Benny will get us top 4

and then be sacked

FACT

:D

oh and BTW

and then be sacked

FACT

Demba Ba?? :confused:

Ya mad scone. :pac:

If it is true it does not need to be an either or scenario perhaps. In reality we have 1 goalkeeper at the moment he would be a much better back up than what we have. I would have thought by the time Petr's contract is up Courtois will be our first choice perhaps it is Petr who is being lined up to depart?

Wonder where this leaves Jamal Blackman though as he seems to be a decent keeper and only a few months younger than Butland

Demba Ba?? :confused:

Ya mad scone. :pac:

no one ELSE then MR pernichty!

oh and BTW

and then be sacked

FACT

Cech could be number 1 for another 6 years.
    I can't see Courtois being happy to be loaned out for that time.
    Courtois' talent isn't in doubt just his readiness to wait his turn when Cech is established there as a firm first choice.

• Advertisement

If it is true it does not need to be an either or scenario perhaps. In reality we have 1 goalkeeper at the moment he would be a much better back up than what we have. I would have thought by the time Petr's contract is up Courtois will be our first choice perhaps it is Petr who is being lined up to depart?

Wonder where this leaves Jamal Blackman though as he seems to be a decent keeper and only a few months younger than Butland

Cech signed an extension only a few months ago so he'll be around for awhile, unless hes to be dropped or sold, maybe Courtois is happy to go on loan but that wont be the case forever and he'll have to be brought back eventually.
    no one ELSE then MR pernichty!

;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

courtois has stated in numerous interviews that he is happy to go on loan for 3 or 4 seasons until he gets his chance at chelsea. the only way he'll leave i reckon is if its part of a deal to bring Falcao to stamford bridge

Do you think Chelsea will be happy to let Cech run down his contract?
    I'm not sure how long Cech has left on his current contract.

peteeeed wrote: »
    courtois has stated in numerous interviews that he is happy to go on loan for 3 or 4 seasons until he gets his chance at chelsea. the only way he'll leave i reckon is if its part of a deal to bring Falcao to stamford bridge

I've seen that reported here several times.
    It still doesn't make sense though.

Cech could be number 1 for another 6 years.
    I can't see Courtois being happy to be loaned out for that time.
    Courtois' talent isn't in doubt just his readiness to wait his turn when Cech is established there as a firm first choice.

Theres been rumours that Cech's knee\leg is slowly waning in which case I expect Courtois to return

Do you think Chelsea will be happy to let Cech run down his contract?
    I'm not sure how long Cech has left on his current contract.

Signed an extension after the UCL final AFAIK.

So it has 4 yers left bringing him up to the end of 2016 where he'll be 34.

If the over 30's policy is enforced he could easily be gone then.

Both Petr's and Thibaut's contract's run out at the end of the 2015/16 season, I would say we have one more season to make our mind up on selling one or the other. If the only a one year contract if you are over 30 rule persists then it will be Petr going.

I dont say this makes sense but if we stick with the rule I cant see Petr accepting that - more so when he would get an easy well paid 3 year deal with a host of top clubs.

Theres been rumours that Cech's knee\leg is slowly waning in which case I expect Courtois to return

On that note, his distribution for me is the weakest part of his game, often its aimless.

Signed an extension after the UCL final AFAIK.

So it has 4 yers left bringing him up to the end of 2016 where he'll be 34.

If the over 30's policy is enforced he could easily be gone then.

I would imagine that policy is only for outfield players otherwise they wouldn't have given him such a long term contract so recently

• Advertisement

I would imagine that policy is only for outfield players otherwise they wouldn't have given him such a long term contract so recently

The contract was signed 8 days after his 30th birthday (according to the fountain of knowledge that is Wiki) so technically I would assume the contract would have been agreed beforehand and then the legal bits cleaned up.

Therefore technically he was under 30 when the contract was agreed, some if's and but's there but would not surprise me in the least with us.

You only have to look at VDS and Friedel to see keepers can play now a days at a high level up to and including your 40's.

The contract was signed 8 days after his 30th birthday (according to the fountain of knowledge that is Wiki) so technically I would assume the contract would have been agreed beforehand and then the legal bits cleaned up.

Therefore technically he was under 30 when the contract was agreed, some if's and but's there but would not surprise me in the least with us.
    Glass half full approach

Glass half full approach

Not really Petr would, I imagine, have been a little busy around that time with the lead up to the Euro's so it is almost certain the contract had been agreed beforehand.
    Well that is what logic would suggest to me.

Not really Petr would, I imagine, have been a little busy around that time with the lead up to the Euro's so it is almost certain the contract had been agreed beforehand.
    Well that is what logic would suggest to me.

Very possible, given our end to the season had an FA cup run, an UCL run and he was coming up to the Euro's its possible that contract talks were opened up weeks or months before the actual deal was signed.

I've no problem with Cech getting an extension that seems to fall out of line with the over 30's policy as hes an excellent player and keepers as mentioned usually can go well into their 30's and beyond at a high level.

Now if it was Turnbull getting an extension it would be a different matter. :pac:

Very possible, given our end to the season had an FA cup run, an UCL run and he was coming up to the Euro's its possible that contract talks were opened up weeks or months before the actual deal was signed.

I've no problem with Cech getting an extension that seems to fall out of line with the over 30's policy as hes an excellent player and keepers as mentioned usually can go well into their 30's and beyond at a high level.

Now if it was Turnbull getting an extension it would be a different matter. :pac:

Not even in jest please.......

Petr is an excellent keeper but as you pointed out earlier his distribution is weak, he has been the top dog for too long so I guess where ever he is he will want to start most games.

What ever happened to his buddy Delac I thought he was supposed to be mustard?

• Advertisement

Not even in jest please.......

Petr is an excellent keeper but as you pointed out earlier his distribution is weak, he has been the top dog for too long so I guess where ever he is he will want to start most games.

What ever happened to his buddy Delac I thought he was supposed to be mustard?

I think hes on loan at some Croatian team, think I read that somewhere on the CFC website.

Hes meant to be decent but I'd say he'll be dropped, with Blackman doing well back home and Courtois showing excellent form since going to spain I dont think theres a pace for him back at Chelsea.

i would hope they will do a pre-season using both cech and courtois, like we did when cech came and he competed with carlo . also what man city did with given and hart , best man wins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

On the topic of players on loan, like Courtois, I read this earlier;

Statistic: Chelsea players who are loaned to other clubs have cost the club approx. 81 million pounds.

:eek:

On the topic of players on loan, like Courtois, I read this earlier;

Statistic: Chelsea players who are loaned to other clubs have cost the club approx. 81 million pounds.

:eek:

I like the look of the first team!

241881942.jpg

sky sports now reporting the butland bid

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8452057

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement