Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

any links to the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

McDave wrote: »

No, a potentially sly comment like that doesn't go any way towards making his position untenable. It's very hard for a footballer to makehis poposition at a club truly untenable. Tevez, according to Mancini refused to come off the bench v Bayern and then went playing golf in Argentina for 6 months. He came back into the fold eventually and successfully played for the club again for around 14 months.

And Robbo did not say, or even indicate that price is the main issue with regards Rooney leaving, he just commented on a bid from Chelsea. No more or no less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Starting team for tonight's Roma game:

Schwarzer

Azpilicueta--Luiz--Terry--Bertrand

Mikel--Essien

Moses--de Bruyne--Schurrle

Torres

Substitutes: Blackman, Ivanovic, Cole, Ramires, Lampard, Oscar, van Ginkel, Hazard, Lukaku, Cahill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Is Torres on? I haven't seen him. Luiz is showing his passing range yet again.

Awh Mark..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Poor enough half, kdb the only positive imo.

Cracking goal from Lamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

That's ridiculous from Hazard in the build up to the second goal, that's nigh unbelievable. I really think there might be a PFA Player of the Year and perhaps more in the future of the brilliant Belgian.

• Advertisement

Final score, Chelsea 2, Roma 1.

Different story 2nd half. Wonderful work from Hazard to set up Lukaku's goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Highlights of last nights game, with commentary by Omid Djalili :rolleyes:

Some howler by Schwarzer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Blatter wrote: »
    No, a potentially sly comment like that doesn't go any way towards making his position untenable. It's very hard for a footballer to makehis poposition at a club truly untenable. Tevez, according to Mancini refused to come off the bench v Bayern and then went playing golf in Argentina for 6 months. He came back into the fold eventually and successfully played for the club again for around 14 months.
    I said 'starting' along be line of, not that it constituted an untenable position in itself.

Blatter wrote: »
    And Robbo did not say, or even indicate that price is the main issue with regards Rooney leaving, he just commented on a bid from Chelsea. No more or no less.
    He's laughing at the amount begin offered. So if the amount was higher, it would be a realistic offer. I think they're both playing for time and holding out for more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He's laughing at the amount begin offered. So if the amount was higher, it would be a realistic offer. I think they're both playing for time and holding out for more money.

Do you really think they'd be happy to strengthen a direct rival for the title ?

Similar to Suarez with Arsenal this is a deal that I can't see happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Final score, Chelsea 2, Roma 1.

Different story 2nd half. Wonderful work from Hazard to set up Lukaku's goal.

Certainly was excellent work by Ba for both goals as well.

greendom wrote: »
    Do you really think they'd be happy to strengthen a direct rival for the title ?

Similar to Suarez with Arsenal this is a deal that I can't see happening.
    Yeah, I've seen a similar argument here this morning: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2389073/Wayne-Rooney-Luis-Suarez-London-moves-blocked-US-owners.html

A possible alternative is to forego the money on offer and have an unproductive player in your squad for two more years. Or to accept less from another club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yeah, I've seen a similar argument here this morning: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2389073/Wayne-Rooney-Luis-Suarez-London-moves-blocked-US-owners.html

A possible alternative is to forego the money on offer and have an unproductive player in your squad for two more years. Or to accept less from another club.
    With Rooney being an England international United are in a trickier situation than Liverpool from a pr perspective. There will be immense pressure from the press if he's left out of the first team. Suarez has such poor pr already that this won't be an issue.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Any suggestions what team Chelsea will start the season with? Will Mata and Hazard start?

• Advertisement

Two in the bag for RVP will make Rooney feel even more surplus to needs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

That article is utter rubbish! and two very different situations let me begin by say I am not in favor of Rooney coming and I don't condone player power but the facts are different, Suarez wants to leave to further his own desires but Liverpool see him as there no. 1 striker and are fighting hard to keep him and if they manage to do that after his ban and he's bagged a couple of goals the kop will love him again and all will be rosy again, well at least until this time next year when the merry go round will start again.
    Utd. on the other hand have quite clearly found Wazzer somewhat surplus to requirements and with some comments from Fergie which were clearly designed to show him the door and force him to hand in a transfer request, in fact he even said he already had!
    Cutting out player power is one thing but if a club no longer want a player they shouldn't be able to dictate his next club either. I'm no Rooney fan but he has handled this whole affair with a great deal more dignity than utd. who have passed not so subtle hints to Wayne and the rest of the world every time they are asked about it in a press conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Any suggestions what team Chelsea will start the season with? Will Mata and Hazard start?

Both will definetly start against Hull. Mata was left out of the Spain squad against Ecuador so both will start if fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Both will definetly start against Hull. Mata was left out of the Spain squad against Ecuador so both will start if fit.

What do you think we will do this year with our midfield will we start with three out of mata,oscar,hazard,schurrle,KDB and bring the other two on every game?

We used to do that a lot back in the day, I loved it when Robben and Duff would come off the bench just as the other team were tiring.

Or do you think he will try and find a way to play oscar/KDB centrally?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

You better be right :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

You better be right :p

Dont forget its a double gameweek for us and villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Yeah although its the start of the season players shouldnt be getting tired with 3 games in a week at this stage surely???

Phoenix wrote: »
    How is Lukaku looking pre season lads?

I may be being unfair to the lad, but I'm not sure how much Lukaku does outside of scoring. Drogba had that ability to hold up the ball and bring others into play and I'm not sure that's part of Lukaku's game yet.

That said, the kind of reports we got back from his time at WBA seem to be holding true - a human battering ram once he's locked in on goal. He must be a nightmare to play against.

You can see the difference in confidence between himself and Nando. Lukaku still has that natural fearlessness. He's not as wild as Ba - who seems to take speculative potshots that don't come off 90% of the time - but he instinctively jumps on a goalscoring opportunity.

Nowhere hear the finished article but good for 20+ goals a season and I'll be fascinated to see what kind of understanding he can strike up with the other young guns - KdB, Schurrle, Hazard, Oscar etc. That's the future kernel of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Eto'o link appeared as soon as Anzhi's owner was reported to have lost a few hundred million and decided wages and costs at the club were to come down.

Personally I wouldnt touch him but Jose has worked with im in the past but the club seems to have gone past the signing of big named players on the crest of their career in the last few years.

• Advertisement

Anyone ever come across an UCL 2012 Final DVD?

Panthro wrote: »

I think they're on sale on the CFC website, I'm pretty sure I seen a link somewhere to an official DVD/Blu-ray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

if its similar to the chelsea tv 'munich story' i would say avoid and try and get hold of the sky sports hour long story of the campaign, it was far superior only for gary nevilles scorgasms alone

The Sky feature was good alright, remember watching it a few weeks after the final and I may have it still recorded on Sky +

This was one of the best bits I've seen afterwards, think it was an ITV question.

They+say+the+Germans+never+lose+on+penalty.png

Hansen wrote in the Telegraph that if Rooney joins us we'll win the league, if he stays at Utd they'll win the leage and if he goes abroad City will win the league.

Also the top 3 will stay the same but he expects Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool to fight for 4th, if Spurs and 'Pool keep Bale and Suarez, very insightful I must say.

:rolleyes:

I think they're on sale on the CFC website, I'm pretty sure I seen a link somewhere to an official DVD/Blu-ray.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chelsea-FC-Champions-Europe-2012/dp/B008I17BTQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1376296744&sr=8-3&keywords=chelsea+2011-12

Is that the one you are on about Gav? The official site has it in book format only.
    The reviews of the above dvd aren't great, it is a pity. I'd love to relive the Barca games, the Final itself and the parade after.
    If they had produced a proper box set it would have sold pretty well I'm guessing.

Hansen wrote in the Telegraph that if Rooney joins us we'll win the league, if he stays at Utd they'll win the leage and if he goes abroad City will win the league.

Also the top 3 will stay the same but he expects Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool to fight for 4th, if Spurs and 'Pool keep Bale and Suarez, very insightful I must say.

Didn't he also write that grass is in fact green?
    :pac:

Indeed a classic case of how to make a living by stating the obvious.

I don't think ManU will win the league if Rooney stays no more than we are a shoe in if he comes to the Bridge. I think the only position up for grabs is 4th and if Arsenal finally loosen the purse strings then the top 4 next season will be the same as last season, though with the teams occupying different positions.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chelsea-FC-Champions-Europe-2012/dp/B008I17BTQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1376296744&sr=8-3&keywords=chelsea+2011-12

Is that the one you are on about Gav? The official site has it in book format only.
    The reviews of the above dvd aren't great, it is a pity. I'd love to relive the Barca games, the Final itself and the parade after.
    If they had produced a proper box set it would have sold pretty well I'm guessing.

That could be it alright, I'd be like you, if the club produced an official one I'd assume it would sell very well, it's a fairly historic time in the clubs history after all. :pac:

• Advertisement

Well it was speculated on here when it would start and it has

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2013/08/12/4181027/-?

At least Alves has enough sense to understand that with TSHO on the scene this is unlikely to happen, God bless his dislike of Barcelona.

Indeed a classic case of how to make a living by stating the obvious.

I don't think ManU will win the league if Rooney stays no more than we are a shoe in if he comes to the Bridge. I think the only position up for grabs is 4th and if Arsenal finally loosen the purse strings then the top 4 next season will be the same as last season, though with the teams occupying different positions.

Arsenal seemed to drag there heels over Higuain and a few million and lost out over it.

Even at the start of the window if you said whos more likely to go to arsenal, Higauin or Suarez, you'd be mad to have said Suarez.

If they paid the extra theyed have gotten a great striker and the majority of their business would have been done for the summer, the only options left is to pay upwards of 50 million for Suarez or chance their arm with a Rooney bid but again it would have to be fairly large to tempt Utd ito a sale to a team that could rival them.

Liverpool are a few levels below the current top 4 whether or no they want to admit it, even with Saurez they wint catch Arsenal and Spurs, they might catch one of them if they have a season when they play above expectations al seasona nd one of the above under perform for large parts but I just cant see Liverpool breaking the top 4, although keeping Suarez would realy help the cause.

Cant wait for the weekend anyway, its going to be brilliant.

Well it was speculated on here when it would start and it has

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2013/08/12/4181027/-?

At least Alves has enough sense to understand that with TSHO on the scene this is unlikely to happen, God bless his dislike of Barcelona.

Wont happen, let Neymar come out with something simialr, it wont happen this time when Barca players are alying the red carpet out for new arrivals before anything is official.

The fact theyve been turned away from a few CB's options is telling that clubs are willing to fight Barca off and win so far this summer.

I'd be happy t let Luiz go if meant a world record fee for a CB but anything short of stupid money should be rejected right off the bat, a stern no.

Barca are a UCL rival and selling them an assest in Luiz cant be comprehended.

No can't see Liverpool getting next nor near the top 4 I think they are a few years away. BR is a good manager I think and could well get them there given time.

ManC are the dark horse's here in some ways I still think they have the best squad but how will Pellegrini settle into the PL? If he hits the ground running cant see anyone stopping them - with or without Rooney. If TSHO hits the ground running he has all the experience needed to hold on it is as you say Gav going to be brilliant so good to be actually looking forward to the season again.

No can't see Liverpool getting next nor near the top 4 I think they are a few years away. BR is a good manager I think and could well get them there given time.

ManC are the dark horse's here in some ways I still think they have the best squad but how will Pellegrini settle into the PL? If he hits the ground running cant see anyone stopping them - with or without Rooney. If TSHO hits the ground running he has all the experience needed to hold on it is as you say Gav going to be brilliant so good to be actually looking forward to the season again.

Ya the current top 3 are even a step above Spurs and Arsenal as it stands but Spurs are working on closing the gap if they keep Bale that would be a huge plus for them this season.

The top 3 all with new managers heading into the new season is soemthing I wouldnt have guessed at a point last year so its going to a very interesting season ahead.

Most bookies have the top 3 all in and around the same price to win the league as its just near impossible to tell who will win the league at this stage.

Certainly Utd keeping Rooney will give them an advantage as they'll have 3 good CF's to rotate between, the way I see it, only Lukaku would get into a City or Utd squad where as we could do with a Jovetic/Aguero/Rooney or RVP type to bolster or CF options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

Duck Soup wrote: »
    I may be being unfair to the lad, but I'm not sure how much Lukaku does outside of scoring. Drogba had that ability to hold up the ball and bring others into play and I'm not sure that's part of Lukaku's game yet.

That said, the kind of reports we got back from his time at WBA seem to be holding true - a human battering ram once he's locked in on goal. He must be a nightmare to play against.

You can see the difference in confidence between himself and Nando. Lukaku still has that natural fearlessness. He's not as wild as Ba - who seems to take speculative potshots that don't come off 90% of the time - but he instinctively jumps on a goalscoring opportunity.

Nowhere hear the finished article but good for 20+ goals a season and I'll be fascinated to see what kind of understanding he can strike up with the other young guns - KdB, Schurrle, Hazard, Oscar etc. That's the future kernel of the team.

I think Lukaku (assuming that he doesn't end up out on loan again) certainly deserves a decent run out this season. 17 goals from 37 appearances isn't half bad at all.

Our Belgian lads are all hugely talented with Hazard being the stand out guy but if KDB, Hazard & Lukaku can strike up an understanding it could very well prove to be vital for us, throw in Oscar, Mata and Schurrle to the mix and we've some great prospects at this club and all on the right side of their 20's too.

Henry Winter on Twitter reporting Rooney was 1st out and leading the running at Englands training session this morning.

I honestly dont think there's a way back for Rooney at Utd and he will leave, if its not to us then it will be a foreign team but I just cant see him staying at Utd, the last stunt he pulled got hi a bumper contract this time around I dotn think thats the case.

Leaving Utd would be a hug change for Rooney but if its for fottballing reasons and he wants to get his head down and work hard then I'd welcome him with open arms at The Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Drogba at it again at the weekend! Bullet header!

10 finals 10 goals 10 trophies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Henry Winter on Twitter reporting Rooney was 1st out and leading the running at Englands training session this morning.

I honestly dont think there's a way back for Rooney at Utd and he will leave, if its not to us then it will be a foreign team but I just cant see him staying at Utd, the last stunt he pulled got hi a bumper contract this time around I dotn think thats the case.

Leaving Utd would be a hug change for Rooney but if its for fottballing reasons and he wants to get his head down and work hard then I'd welcome him with open arms at The Bridge.
    Henry Winter ‏@henrywinter
    Rooney particularly sharp weaving through the slalom poles in #eng training. Now doing stretching like a gymnast

Doesn't look like there is any way back for him. The problem is for him there doesn't seem to be any other clubs interested, I really don't think he will go to Arsenal, but I just can't see United selling to us. It would have been like us selling them Drogba years ago! Would be madness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement