Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Is that not a good a reason as any? We'd be strengthening Barca who are a European power and a team you have every chance of running into if you want to win the UCL.

One of the main reasons we didnt sell though is we dont have to and the player hasnt come out and said its his dream to play for Barca and looked for a move, not everybody wants to play for the mighty Barca.

No you are not selling him to Barca because your management rate him as one of your best player and don't want to lose him, just like how United did with Rooney.

Oh btw, likewise Rooney didn't make any public statement about wanting to play for Chelsea. Point is it would be madness to sell your star player to your domestic rivals and it has nothing to do with being scared of Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I didnt say anything about Rooney, in fact if we dont get Rooney it wouldnt bother me in the slightest, I'd be more then confident of going into the season with Lukaku leading the line, of course it would be a great option if we signed Rooney but our season doesnt really rely on Rooney coming or staying, it would certainly make it easier but I'd be surprised if Utd sold to ANY English team really.

I didnt say anything about Rooney, in fact if we dont get Rooney it wouldnt bother me in the slightest, I'd be more then confident of going into the season with Lukaku leading the line, of course it would be a great option if we signed Rooney but our season doesnt really rely on Rooney coming or staying, it would certainly make it easier but I'd be surprised if Utd sold to ANY English team really.

My first post was in reply to someone saying we are scared of Chelsea and that's the reason we are not selling him to Chelsea.

Even I'd be surprised if he is sold to any English team. Make us look like an idiots after all those words from Moyes.

It wouldnt be the 1st time a player has been sold after words fromthe club saying hes not available but ya as a PR exercise its very wise that Utd keep Rooney and not sell to an English team, if he goes abroad at least it wont be as bad.

Eto'o talk picking up, probably on the back of his comments and the fact Rooney looks more then likely to be staying out no matter if a 3rd bid is made or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    lol, if anything it shows club is not bending over to the player power.

So Chelsea are scared of Barca and that's the reason they didn't sell Luiz to them?

Perhaps scared was a slight exaggeration but certainly there would be concern, rightly, that by selling Rooney to us makes us stronger and ManU weaker. We are an already strong side so if that concern was not at ManU it would be strange. This is a difficult one for Moyes can he keep Rooney happy without affecting the rest of the squad. Personally I think if someone is paying you ST£250k a week or thereabouts you have a duty of diligence, its not like he is working in some third world sweat factory. I think he needs to be a bit more professional.

Perhaps scared was a slight exaggeration but certainly there would be concern, rightly, that by selling Rooney to us makes us stronger and ManU weaker. We are an already strong side so if that concern was not at ManU it would be strange. This is a difficult one for Moyes can he keep Rooney happy without affecting the rest of the squad. Personally I think if someone is paying you ST£250k a week or thereabouts you have a duty of diligence, its not like he is working in some third world sweat factory. I think he needs to be a bit more professional.

If he genuinely doesnt want to be there and this goes for Suarez too, why not hand in a transfer request?

I know they will go forego any "loyality" bonus if this is the case but if you're unhappy and want a move then at least it lets everyone know what your plan is and shows your hand.

To guys like Rooney, whats a few million in loyality bonuses anyway? He'd make it back in a few months playing for a new team if his current deal was matched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

My Favourite retort to the news that Wallace has signed a loan to inter is.........

"Does that answer your question D'angelo?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Don't know how I'd feel about Eto'o coming in. At 32 he is past his best, he's on massive wages and also we have Lukaku. I can understand wanting Rooney but I'm not sure on Eto'o, I think I'd rather Lukaku leading the line going into the new season.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Don't know how I'd feel about Eto'o coming in. At 32 he is past his best, he's on massive wages and also we have Lukaku. I can understand wanting Rooney but I'm not sure on Eto'o, I think I'd rather Lukaku leading the line going into the new season.

My preference for next season is :

1st - Rooney (if possible)
    2nd - Lukaku
    3rd - Torres/Ba/Eto'o (if nobody else is signed)

If we dont get Rooney thn Lukaku will get the games he deserves but in saying that he'll have to hit the ground running given Ba and Torres will both be hoping to be invovled as much as possible also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I think Eto'o would be a waste to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Your a Barca fan :eek:

Never realised :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Your a Barca fan :eek:

Never realised :P

OK I'll buy it What?

the_monkey wrote: »
    I think Eto'o would be a waste to be honest.

Especially if it means less game time for Lukaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

lol, if anything it shows club is not bending over to the player power.
    It wasn't a player trying to put one over on Ferguson a la Stam/Van Nistelrooy/Keane/whoever. It was Ferguson intimating that Rooney was down the pecking order and designating a more midfield role for him.

Rooney is perfectly within his rights to read the actual lines! And to request a move. Chelsea picked up on this, hence their approach.

Maybe Moyes has positive plans for Rooney. But my guess is Rooney will only get a look in in his favoured position if RVP gets injured. Could make for a very frustrating season for Rooney, and to some extent for United.

• Advertisement

So Chelsea are scared of Barca and that's the reason they didn't sell Luiz to them?
    My turn to LOL here! :pac:

If there's one major team Chelsea are not scared of, and one team Chelsea have consistently got one over on, it's Barcelona.

I'm afraid you've completely got the wrong end of the stick here. At no point did Mourinho intimate Luiz was below par. He's certainly putting it up to him in the coming season. But that's laying down a challenge, not suggesting you might be heading to the knacker's yard in your preferred position.

That's the nub of the issue. Rooney would help spread the load, and take some of the pressure off Lukaku.

Generally speaking, we're short in terms of strikers. Etoo could be a useful enough addition. However, if I were Mourinho, I'd still be looking to sign Rooney, and then offload Ba. I think I'd hang on to Torres mainly for the UCL, unless we got offered top dollar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

TSO just quoted saying that Luiz is not for sale at any price on sky sports. com.
    Glad to keep him and hope he can become more stable in the back.
    Come on Sunday already

According to some rags Eto'os people are claiming 3 other clubs are in for him and one of them is Man Utd.

Great news, Eto'o to Utd, Rooney to Chelsea. :pac:

Either way I dont want anything to do with Eto'o, maybe a few years ago but not at 32, I'd rather keep our trio now and plow on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

According to some rags Eto'os people are claiming 3 other clubs are in for him and one of them is Man Utd.

Great news, Eto'o to Utd, Rooney to Chelsea. :pac:

Either way I dont want anything to do with Eto'o, maybe a few years ago but not at 32, I'd rather keep our trio now and plow on.

"Anzhi Makhachkala striker Samuel Eto'o is trying to bounce Chelsea into signing him by claiming Manchester United also want him."-mirror

• Advertisement

McDave wrote: »
    My turn to LOL here! :pac:

If there's one major team Chelsea are not scared of, and one team Chelsea have consistently got one over on, it's Barcelona.

I'm afraid you've completely got the wrong end of the stick here. At no point did Mourinho intimate Luiz was below par. He's certainly putting it up to him in the coming season. But that's laying down a challenge, not suggesting you might be heading to the knacker's yard in your preferred position.

But not selling them means club are scared of other team according to your other post?

Likewise Moyes didn't talk about Rooney role or performance at all, he said Rooney is staying.

KingJamsie wrote: »
    "Anzhi Makhachkala striker Samuel Eto'o is trying to bounce Chelsea into signing him by claiming Manchester United also want him."-mirror

I still dont believe it TBH.

I dont see Utd going for him not with the 4 or 5 CF's they have in their squad, I dont think we need him so Utd definietly dont need him.

I dont see Utd going for him not with the 4 or 5 CF's they have in their squad, I dont think we need him so Utd definietly dont need him.

Sign Eto'o for big fee and wages and let him flop like Sheva and Torres. Leave Rooney alone and everyone will be happy :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Oh yeah its total BS! But seems Eto'o really pushing for a move to the bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

a 1 year deal to give lukaku and torres (ba will be moved on if another striker comes in i feel) a bit of cover would not be a bad option if the wages are right, i think eto knows no one is going to match what what he was on

Sign Eto'o for big fee and wages and let him flop like Sheva and Torres. Leave Rooney alone and everyone will be happy :pac:

Theres less expected of him then Torres IMO and signing him would be on par with signing Shevchenko, you dont know what you'll get but you can be sure hes past his best and the signing should ahve happened a few years back to get the best out of him.

The only way the move will work if he drastically reduces his wages and its a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd, even at that I'm not 100% I want him.

Lukaku has a lot of growing up to do and he has the potential to do it, its a huge step up playing for WBA to playing UCL football and expected to do it against the biggest teams in Europe and the EPL consistently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

out of interest who is more likely to start both games out of ramiras and Oscar, also which one in a more attacking position - basically who's the better option for fantasy.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    out of interest who is more likely to start both games out of ramiras and Oscar, also which one in a more attacking position - basically who's the better option for fantasy.

Its hard to tell given that we've Utd after Villa.

Jose could change a few for the Villa game prior to playing Utd a few days later.

Oscar is more likely to score/assist but I reckon Ramires is more likely to start all 3 games.

Moyes this morning : Rooney is not for sale.

Nothing changes on that front anyway.

Jose on not selling Luiz for any price :
    No chance he is going to leave. He is a player we want to keep. He is a player with four years (on his) contract, he just signed a contract last year.
    ‘We like him. He is an important player and the club is not ready to sell him for any price.’

Luiz arrived from Benfica in 2011 and extended his contract only 11 months ago. There had been reports recently claiming he had told the club of his desire to join Barca but Mourinho claimed: ‘I don’t know if he said that. What I can say is that he is not going to.

‘The last quotes I read were Luiz saying he is not speaking about clubs when he is with the national team, which is a fantastic quote that I appreciate. That is the last quote I have and it is an intelligent one.’

• Advertisement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23710359

Moyes taking a leaf from the Fergies book very early doors.
    "I hope it's not because Manchester United won the league quite comfortably last year [that] the fixtures have been made much more difficult."

He added: "I find it hard to believe that's the way the balls came out of the bag, that's for sure."

From the same article.
    •Chelsea are the best starters in Premier League history, picking up an average of 2.10 points from their first game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Somebody should probably tell Moyes that it's been a long time since balls and a bag were involved with determining fixtures.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Who do yiz reckon will start up front for the opening fixtures?

Who do yiz reckon will start up front for the opening fixtures?

Rooney. :P

I reckon we'll start against Hull with :

Cech
    Ivan--Jt--Luiz--Cole
    --Ramires--Essien--
    Mata--Oscar--Hazard
    Lukaku

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Cech
    Ivan--Jt--Luiz--Cole
    --Ramires--Essien--
    Mata--Oscar--Hazard
    Lukaku

I'd be happy with that....... ish.

I'd normally prefer to see Cahill and JT as the CB's, but Kenny Miller (who plays Soccer Ball for Vancouver Whitecaps) made an absolute mug of Cahill last night.

So I'm :confused: as to what I want at the moment.

RichT wrote: »
    I'd be happy with that....... ish.

I'd normally prefer to see Cahill and JT as the CB's, but Kenny Miller (who plays Soccer Ball for Vancouver Whitecaps) made an absolute mug of Cahill last night.

So I'm :confused: as to what I want at the moment.

Cahill flatters to deceive at times. Hes a decent CB but not the quality we need for a sustained run in the UCL, before its said he played with Luiz in the final, im aware of that bit if it wasnt for Gomez having a nigtmare then Cahills performance wouldnt be questionned. I reckon if Azp wasnt with Spain we could see Ivan in there at some point, again not a fan of his at CB. JT is our best defender where as Luiz is our best player to play there overall so its a problem area.

Maybe Kalas will get some game time at either RB or CB this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Maybe Kalas will get some game time at either RB or CB this year

Or maybe Mats Hummels is mad to try pie'n'mash. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Jose is the perfect manager for Cahill and Loiz.

Somehow makes defenders play out of their skins.

When he went to inter he completely rejuvenated the defence, basically made Samuel and lucio the best in the world. Macon too

Jose is the perfect manager for Cahill and Loiz.

Somehow makes defenders play out of their skins.

When he went to inter he completely rejuvenated the defence, basically made Samuel and lucio the best in the world. Macon too

it'll be a lpt easier to turn Luiz then Cahill. Luiz has. alot more in his locker then anyone of the defenders at the club. hes got plenty of stick from all quarters but he was one of Brazils best players at the Confeds.

Jose will make him a beter player no doubt about it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I think he'll do unreal with Cahill too. Pure solid type of defender.

A poor mans terry.

And Jose made terry one of the best in the world .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I think he'll do unreal with Cahill too. Pure solid type of defender.

A poor mans terry.

And Jose and Riccy Carvalho made terry one of the best in the world .

Fixed that... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Rooney. :P

Cech
    Ivan--Jt--Luiz--Cole
    --Ramires--Essien--
    Mata--Oscar--Hazard
    Lukaku

What about villa line up?

Jt - cahil
    mata - shurrl
    essian - dutch youngster
    torres - lukaku

would be my guess anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

a couple of papers reporting chelsea have put a deadline of aug 26th to sign rooney to themselves a chance of getting someone else before the transfer deadline

Oranage2 wrote: »
    What about villa line up?

Jt - cahil
    mata - shurrl
    essian - dutch youngster
    torres - lukaku

would be my guess anyway.

I'd say there will be some rotation anyway but I cant see Jose going with 2 up top myself.

If I was to guess :

Cech
    Azp---Cahill---Luiz---Cole
    ----Esien---Van Ginkel---
    Moses-De Bruyne-Schurrle
    Torres

That would give Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Lukaku all time to be 100% to go to Old Trafford, although this early in the season nobody should be tired.

peteeeed wrote: »
    a couple of papers reporting chelsea have put a deadline of aug 26th to sign rooney to themselves a chance of getting someone else before the transfer deadline

That would mean a 3rd bid and also a contradiction to what Jose said about the transfer window being about Rooney or bust.

Who else is there really?

Eto'o - Older then I'd like and expensive
    Ibra - See above

If there is no Rooney then I'd plow n with our current 3 regardless and bring in nobody, I'm more worried about CB then CF TBH.

An injury to Luiz and or JT leaves us short of quality at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

That would give Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Lukaku all time to be 100% to go to Old Trafford, although this early in the season nobody should be tired.

if that's the case then thats my FF fecked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'd say there will be some rotation anyway but I cant see Jose going with 2 up top myself.

If I was to guess :

Cech
    Azp---Cahill---Luiz---Cole
    ----Esien---Van Ginkel---
    Moses-De Bruyne-Schurrle
    Torres

think Dave will be off on Int duty with Spain. Mata and Torres allowed to stay home.

Panthro wrote: »
    think Dave will be off on Int duty with Spain. Mata and Torres allowed to stay home.

That was for the friendly just gone in Ecuador on wednesday night, whcih means he should miss the Hull game.

Spains next game is against Finland on the same day we play Sweden, 6th September.

duploelabs wrote: »
    if that's the case then thats my FF fecked

Same here, although I do expect some rotation for the Villa game, I'd hope it isnt too much, depending on the Hull performance I guess and if everyone comes through it unhurt and injury free.

Panthro wrote: »

To make it worse, I just checked there and Azp didnt even goet on the pitch. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement