Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I hope its a BS story, hes not worth that much at all in all seriousnessm Lukaku is probably on a 1/5 of that and I'd rather play him TBH then bringing in a guy like Eto'o who'll be gone after 2/3 years.

Only 5 1/2 hours before im done work and getting ready for the 1st home game of the season. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Enjoy gav! Repeat of last years home result against Villa will do.:p

Johner wrote: »
    Enjoy gav! Repeat of last years home result against Villa will do.:p

Main thing is no injuries and 3 points also to be greedy for my FF team I want Lukaku, Luiz and Hazard all to score a brace. :P

Jose just said Luiz won't be playing. :( I have Hazard, Lukaku and Cole.

• Advertisement

Balls to that anyway, not to happy with Cahill and JT against Benteke if im honest. :eek:

Benteke turned him at Villa Park like he wasnt there and if hes on form he'll cause us trouble although Villa will have to put up a defensive masterclass to stop us scoring at the other end I can see both teams scoring here I just hope its us first and we make a similar start to the game tomorrow like we did against Hull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I have Coleman as first sub, he'll replace Luiz for me, WIN!

What's wrong with Luiz?

Essien wrote: »
    I have Coleman as first sub, he'll replace Luiz for me, WIN!

What's wrong with Luiz?

Still not fully recovered from injury.
    Chelsea FC ‏@chelseafc

Jose says Luiz is much better, but not ready to play yet. #CFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

more gold from jose in todays press conference

Reporter: "Do you have a Plan B if Rooney doesn't come?" Jose Mourinho: "I have a Plan C!"

Plan A - Rooney.
    Plan B - Short term option but good pedigree,hopefully not Eto'o.
    Plan C- Carry on with our current 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Personally, I think the Rooney thing is a feint, and Benteke is the real target.

Rooney for £40m or Benteke for £25m-30m?

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Personally, I think the Rooney thing is a feint, and Benteke is the real target.

I wouldnt touch Benteke, we have the younger and more talented Lukaku no need for Benteke IMO.

Watch Benteke get a hat trick now tomorrow night. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I wouldnt touch Benteke, we have the younger and more talented Lukaku no need for Benteke IMO.

Watch Benteke get a hat trick now tomorrow night. :mad:

I'm inclined to agree with you - how can Lukaku fulfil his undoubted potential if he doesn't get a run in the team? - but José seems intent on signing another forward.

One option (a longer term prospect who could spend a couple of seasons on loan) might be yet another Belgian player, the 17 year-old striker, Zakaria Bakkali.

Bakkali recently scored a hattrick for PSV in only his 2nd senior team appearance.

I'm inclined to agree with you - how can Lukaku fulfil his undoubted potential if he doesn't get a run in the team? - but José seems intent on signing another forward.

One option (a longer term prospect who could spend a couple of seasons on loan) might be yet another Belgian player, the 17 year-old striker, Zakaria Bakkali.

Bakkali recently scored a hattrick for PSV in only his 2nd senior team appearance.

The names were linked with are established strikers that would add to the team now though and that looks to be the ploy this summer, bolster what we have.

As ya said Lukaku is the future we need someone for now so another young Belgian while a good investment, would be pointless as no doubt he'd spend the next 2/3 years on loan.

I'm surprised Lukaku didnt start against Hull, I'b very confident he'll start against Villa who lets be fair are another level compared to Hull and while Torres for the 1st half added to the team, done nothing in the 2nd half although that speaks volumes as the whole team were well off the 1st half pace.

My take on the transfer saga, if we dont get Rooney we may go the merecenary path and take Eto'o although that will probably mean we'll sell Ba or Torre to the highest bidder and it wont be for much.

If it's a young, relatively unproven, big, strong, Belgian center forward you're after, then I reckon we've already got the pick of the bunch (or at least time will tell that).

While I'm not a fan of getting Rooney, you at least know what you're getting there. Let's see how Benteke goes this season before we start talking about him going to a top 3/4 club.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

WAGNH@WAGNH_CFC 4 hrs
    Samuel Eto'o agrees to remain at Anzhi, according to his coach #CFC link

Well if Eto'o is staying thats a good thing for us, Id really not like us picking up those wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Benteke's asking price was £30m BEFORE he signed a new 4 year contract

COYVB wrote: »
    Benteke's asking price was £30m BEFORE he signed a new 4 year contract

We wont be buying him now or in January or next summer though so ye're ok, we wont be poaching him when he pulls another stroppy and wants a move somewhere down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We wont be buying him now or in January or next summer though so ye're ok, we wont be poaching him when he pulls another stroppy and wants a move somewhere down the line.

There'll be no shortage of bigger clubs than Chelsea after him next summer :)

• Advertisement

COYVB wrote: »
    There'll be no shortage of bigger clubs than Chelsea after him next summer :)

And they're more then welcome to have him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I reckon a cheeky bid for Felliani would be good and keep mikel as the back up defensive midfielder. Felliani is brilliant as a DM and can also get a goal (which John obi simply can't!)

Hopefully Lukaku starts tonight, I think he will. Where abouts are you sitting gav?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Is Mata injured or coming back from an injury? Or was he just not picked on Sunday because he was coming back from Ecquador after playing with Spain?

kfallon wrote: »
    Is Mata injured or coming back from an injury? Or was he just not picked on Sunday because he was coming back from Ecquador after playing with Spain?

Mata didn't travel with Spain, he has a slight injury but has trained every day since and will start tonight I'd say.

Hopefully Lukaku starts tonight, I think he will. Where abouts are you sitting gav?

i think he will, he was away for most of the week with belgium last week whereas torres trained with chelsea so was going to get the start

Team v Villa: Cech; Ivanovic, Cahill, JT (c), Cole; Ramires, Lamps; Oscar, Mata, Hazard; Ba.

Very disappointed at Ba starting to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Team v Villa: Cech; Ivanovic, Cahill, JT (c), Cole; Ramires, Lamps; Oscar, Mata, Hazard; Ba.

Likewise!

I was hoping Lukaku would start tonight.

Never mind............. in Jose I trust!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Jose's putting him on trial. Like Sunday, he'll probably bring on Lukaku in the final quarter.

My guess is Mourinho is giving most of the squad an airing, and will field what he judges to be his strongest team against Utd. Although I'm not sure he'll start Lukaku then either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Early eveidence suggests Joses Chelsea <= Rafas Chelsea

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Garzorico wrote: »

seems a little reactionary. this is game 2, you won game 1 and your not losing in game 2 against a team who have already beaten Arsenal away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Come back around christmas time and I'd bet you'll have a different view.

seems a little reactionary. this is game 2, you won game 1 and your not losing in game 2 against a team who have already beaten Arsenal away

Not especially reactionary. Looks the same labouring team trying to find fluency in their play. Hull and Villa at home will be canon fodder to the likes of Citeh & Utd and if Jose has aspirations of challenging for the league so should they have been for Chelsea.

I reckon Lukaku could be the real deal. Please Jose give him a run.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Not especially reactionary. Looks the same labouring team trying to find fluency in their play. Hull and Villa at home will be canon fodder to the likes of Citeh & Utd and if Jose has aspirations of challenging for the league so should they have been for Chelsea.

I reckon Lukaku could be the real deal. Please Jose give him a run.

I'd say he will start against Man utd but played 2 won 2 for Chelsea. Winning even when your not on form is often cited as the trademark of champions, now im not saying your there yet but so far so good for Jose and yet room for improvement and im sure he will let his players know that

• Advertisement

Lets hope so.

The sometimes comical defending was the same ol same ol as last season.
    The stop start attack was the same ol same ol as last season.

and at home, just like last season.

looks the same team to me is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Lets hope so.

The sometimes comical defending was the same ol same ol as last season.
    The stop start attack was the same ol same ol as last season.

and at home, just like last season.

looks the same team to me is all I'm saying.

To be fair I agree with you somewhat. The last ten minutes were heart in the mouth stuff, which was just like last year, but all i kept thinking was Jose will sort that out sharpish.

Honestly, i don't think this year will be our year, City just look far to strong and my money is on them to do it this year.

I'm not concerned. Villa executed a game plan brilliantly tonight and have already won at the Emirates, they'll cause anyone problems playing that good.

We obliterated Hull for as long as we needed to at the weekend then took the foot off the gas, that game was well under control.

We didn't blow every one out of the water under Jose last time round, we mainly just kept winning games. That's what he does best, even if they are close calls like tonight.

Since when has José ever been one for spectacular football? We as Chelsea fans look back on the period from 2004-07 with a nostalgia and a fondness that knows no bounds.

Yet, there is a very good reason why the team of the time was called "Boring, boring Chelsea". 1-0. 2-1. 2-0. That was the sum total of a lot of Chelsea's big wins for Mourinho. Yeah, obviously there were games where they went to town on teams or lost or whatever. but the stereotype of Chelsea back in the first Special One era is one of functional, result-orientated football. Once the win was secured, the manner in which it was secured was never important to José.

I would much rather Chelsea go out like they have done in those two games and win them 2-0, 2-1, whatever than to have gone out and rode Hull by 6 or 7 goals on Saturday. Then to have been burnt out and potentially have lost/drew with Villa tonight and be on a downer facing into the United game on Monday (:P).

Fair enough, the defending tonight was appalling at times, but it is only a few months since José took back the reins. Time is needed. To be so quick to judge on the back of 2 games is not something that should be done.

As was said, come back at Christmas and see where we are.

weiland79 wrote: »
    City just look far to strong and my money is on them to do it this year.

It's very easy to look good against a Newcastle team who've been in a terminal nosedive since the end of the 11/12 season. They struggled badly last season.

City looked good, but it's easy to look good against poor opposition. City will not have it their own way every game. The games they have against Chelsea, United, Arsenal and Spurs will be huge and a good barometer of how good they actually are.

I don't think any of the "Top 3" (alleged) teams in England (City, United, Chelsea) had any kind of a test in their first game of the League. All of the games that United (Wigan in the Shield, Swansea in the League), City (Newcastle) and Chelsea (Hull and Villa) have played so far this season ended in the result that was expected.

Yeah, Chelsea got a bigger test against Villa that was probably expected, but still came out with a win.

I think it is far too early to say who is looking strong. The first big clash of the season next Monday is going to tell a lot.

The Manchester Derbies this year are going to be huge and are absolutely anyone's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

Ba really was poor tonight, Lukaku seemed to do more in his cameo appearance than Ba,

I don't know what it is but I always feel Ba looks out of his dept, out of his comfort zone,
    I never get the sense he will actually do anything when he plays,
    Tonight when chasing a through ball he seemed more concerned trying to buy a penalty off Vlaar than taking a shot on goal and he doesn't seem to understand there's an offside rule in the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Well yes, but it was fairly depressing to see the team line out with no new signings or any of the returned loanees that we got in the summer. Given that how villa played against Arsenal, they were hardly gonna be (and weren't in the end) a push over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Also after watching the game, for the love of all that is holy, please let that be Ba's last game for us, how many times was he offside????

DazMarz wrote: »
    Since when has José ever been one for spectacular football? We as Chelsea fans look back on the period from 2004-07 with a nostalgia and a fondness that knows no bounds.

Yet, there is a very good reason why the team of the time was called "Boring, boring Chelsea". 1-0. 2-1. 2-0. That was the sum total of a lot of Chelsea's big wins for Mourinho. Yeah, obviously there were games where they went to town on teams or lost or whatever. but the stereotype of Chelsea back in the first Special One era is one of functional, result-orientated football. Once the win was secured, the manner in which it was secured was never important to José.

I would much rather Chelsea go out like they have done in those two games and win them 2-0, 2-1, whatever than to have gone out and rode Hull by 6 or 7 goals on Saturday. Then to have been burnt out and potentially have lost/drew with Villa tonight and be on a downer facing into the United game on Monday (:P).

Fair enough, the defending tonight was appalling at times, but it is only a few months since José took back the reins. Time is needed. To be so quick to judge on the back of 2 games is not something that should be done.

As was said, come back at Christmas and see where we are.

In Joses first reign when we got ahead we stayed ahead with no comical defending either. Utd and Citeh would have hammered both Hull & Villa whilst not giving them a sniff. We need a striker. Tis going to be a roller coaster season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Killinator wrote: »
    Ba really was poor tonight, Lukaku seemed to do more in his cameo appearance than Ba,
    duploelabs wrote: »
    Also after watching the game, for the love of all that is holy, please let that be Ba's last game for us, how many times was he offside????

Was going to respond with the same point - he was offside a ridiculous amount, Lukaku looked far more of a threat when he came on.

Was very impressed with Schurrle for you last night - thought he looked good in posession, always seemed to do the right thing with the ball and tracked back well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

D'Agger wrote: »
    Was very impressed with Schurrle for you last night - thought he looked good in posession, always seemed to do the right thing with the ball and tracked back well

He'll be the PLs Reus this year if Chelsea play him. Himself and Hazard either side of Mata and you'll be able to carry Lukaku/Torres with the amount of chances they'll create.

cson wrote: »
    He'll be the PLs Reus this year if Chelsea play him. Himself and Hazard either side of Mata and you'll be able to carry Lukaku/Torres with the amount of chances they'll create.
    What's dangerous about an attacking 3 of Hazard, Mata & Schurrle isn't just the chances they'll create, but the chances they'll put away themselves - they're all players who pose a double threat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

cson wrote: »

Very true, though I think Oscar's made a fantastic start to the season, also did very well in ore season and looks set to play a pivotal role, more so than the one he had last season. I think it will be very tough to drop him from our strongest side.

Very true, though I think Oscar's made a fantastic start to the season, also did very well in ore season and looks set to play a pivotal role, more so than the one he had last season. I think it will be very tough to drop him from our strongest side.

I'm still not convinced fully by Oscar, I know he's skillful and to his credit last night, when Chelsea were holding on to posession, he was working very hard, popping up all over the field looking to keep things ticking over.

Attack wise, I didn't think he offered much overall in comparison to Hazard

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement