Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That Butland bid is strange, I hope it doesnt see Courtois being swapped for Falcao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Getting rid of Courtois would be a huge mistake, he is already the best young keeper in the world by far. He's only 20 and has the potential to be the best in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Hilario & Turnbull are both out of contract at the en of the season, maybe Butland would be no.2 to Cech while Courtois spends another season on loan?

I suppose a lot will depend on what manager comes in at the end of the season, he's goning to want his full squad together and then decide who he wants to keep around.

Also Benitez has confirmed that Cech & Luiz are both out of tomorrows game at Reading. Turnbull in goal :(

Johner wrote: »
    Getting rid of Courtois would be a huge mistake, he is already the best young keeper in the world by far. He's only 20 and has the potential to be the best in the world.

Agreed, theres not many playing in Europe his age that can match him and i hope we keep him as he can be our number 1 for a decade easily.
    Caveman1 wrote: »
    Hilario & Turnbull are both out of contract at the en of the season, maybe Butland would be no.2 to Cech while Courtois spends another season on loan?

I suppose a lot will depend on what manager comes in at the end of the season, he's goning to want his full squad together and then decide who he wants to keep around.

Also Benitez has confirmed that Cech & Luiz are both out of tomorrows game at Reading. Turnbull in goal :(

Ah heyor!!

Thats a kick in the pants, we'll have to be clinical tomorrow night for the 3 points.

Courtois > Butland.

GavRedKing wrote: »

Courtois > Butland.

True.

I suppose the thought behind it could be to buy Butland give him a run of games next season while Courtois is let stay at Madrid on loan in exchange for Falcao plus cash.

Then when Courtios comes back we could sell Butland for a profit if his stock rises while with us ?

Probably reading way too much into it :pac:

That seem's overly complicated :pac:

Sell Cech, keep Courtois, pay full whack for Falcao, job done. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

That seem's overly complicated :pac:

Sell Malouda and Torres, keep Courtois, pay full whack for Falcao, job done. :p
    :D

:D

Where are we going to find the other €49 million to get Falcao? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Where are we going to find the other €49 million to get Falcao? :p

stern but fair :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

like the russian police

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    If we get beat by Reading tommorrow,do ye think Roman will give Rafa the bullet?

Doubt it, we should be beating Reading anyway.

Best possible XI?

Turnbull
    Azp Cahill JT Cole
    Ramires Lamps
    Oscar Mata Bertie
    Ba

Although now could be the time for Rafa to change it up and go

Turnbull
    Azp Cahill JT Cole
    Ramires Lamps
    Oscar Mata
    Ba Torres

It would be a very bold move but i'd say we could pull it off, once he doesnt start Ba or Torres on the wing and the other through the middle I'll be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I don't know what drugs some people are currently operating under, but Petr Cech is still one of the best goalkeepers going, regardless of who we may have waiting in the wings. Cech is an endlessly popular player at Chelsea, and I don't think he'll be sold or released until his contract expires at the very least. 3 years from now or so.

Courtois also needs to be kept; he is too good to warm the bench, so the solution is to leave him out on loan until he's needed.

A player who should be broken into the squad at the end of his loan deal (seeing as how Lamps appears to be going) is DeBruyne. He's a cracking young player and has he makings of one of the best CM's going.

DazMarz wrote: »
    I don't know what drugs some people are currently operating under, but Petr Cech is still one of the best goalkeepers going, regardless of who we may have waiting in the wings. Cech is an endlessly popular player at Chelsea, and I don't think he'll be sold or released until his contract expires at the very least. 3 years from now or so.

Courtois also needs to be kept; he is too good to warm the bench, so the solution is to leave him out on loan until he's needed.

A player who should be broken into the squad at the end of his loan deal (seeing as how Lamps appears to be going) is DeBruyne. He's a cracking young player and has he makings of one of the best CM's going.

Completely agree about our Kev. Having a good season in Germany and providing a few killer passes that we could do with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Doubt it, we should be beating Reading anyway.

We've been saying that quite a bit on Wednesday nights lately though!

We've been saying that quite a bit on Wednesday nights lately though!

Gav should be banned for saying that sort of thing.
    he said the same about QPR if I remember!

Gav should be banned for saying that sort of thing.
    he said the same about QPR if I remember!

WE SHOULD!!

Although because its an away game its a banker we'll win, if it was at home we'd be 2-0 and be lucky to draw the game by the time its over as is our home form. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

WE SHOULD!!

Although because its an away game its a banker we'll win, if it was at home we'd be 2-0 and be lucky to draw the game by the time its over as is our home form. :(

Ah stop before you jinx it any more. No game is a banker as far as Chelsea are concerned anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

So........has anyone signed any petitions lately:rolleyes::pac:

• Advertisement

Ah stop before you jinx it any more. No game is a banker as far as Chelsea are concerned anymore.

Money in the bank :pac:

Ye can blame me if we dont win. :eek:

Ht in the european next gen u-19 match Ajax 1 Chelsea 2

Bad news for Chelsea I suppose , Moses scores twice for Nigeria and they qualify for quarter finals

peteeeed wrote: »
    Ht in the european next gen u-19 match Ajax 1 Chelsea 2

That game finished 3-3, Islam Feruz scored twice, thats 13 in 19 for him, maybe its time he got a call up to the 1st team.

Chelsea will play Barcelona away in the last 16, its just the one game, hopefully Eurosport show this live.

How did Moses play did anyone see? At least the didn't let Mikel take a penalty this time.

That game finished 3-3, Islam Feruz scored twice, thats 13 in 19 for him, maybe its time he got a call up to the 1st team.

Chelsea will play Barcelona away in the last 16, its just the one game, hopefully Eurosport show this live.
    4 of the 16 will be shown live on eurosport

• Advertisement

City dropping points was unexpected now we have pressure to go and win and go within 4 of them but also Reading will want something from the game seeing as Villa lost means Reading are only a point behind at the moment.

Johner wrote: »
    How did Moses play did anyone see? At least the didn't let Mikel take a penalty this time.

He was pretty good, took both his goals well, both penos.
    His second peno was against a normal player as the goalie was sent off!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Islam well worth a punt in the first team, pace to burn and choc full of confidence. Wouldn't start him but why not fire him on any game with 20 mins to go?

Fair play to him, he actually wants to play first team football instead of playing for a reserve team and then sit on the bench every weekend and collect a nice wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Couldn't agree more Johner, fair play to him. Real ambition.
    Cech has several years left in him anyways IMO.

As someone said, the words "should be beating them" has been bandied about far too much this season.

The following teams it has been said about:

QPR
    Corinthians
    Brentford
    West Brom
    Swansea
    Fulham
    West Ham
    Southampton

These were games that we only drew or lost when we would/should have been favourites and should have won. But we didn't. No point in crying over spilt milk, but it is a bit sick when you look at some of the teams who have taken the scalp of the European Champions, or who have at least put it up to us and come away with a draw.

What makes it all the more galling is when you look at some of the teams we have beaten this season. We could go out an beat a huge team, then go out and struggle against a much lesser side. It's just infuriating.

There are actually no games left that we can take anything for granted anymore. None.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fair ****s to him indeed. Doubtless the fact that everyone know's he's now available for 3 million, he'll still get himself a move granting first team football. For that price, anyone looking around for a keeper will be interested I'd imagine.

Top 4 is the aim for the season, few bits below.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/29/chelsea-rafael-benitez-top-four
    The stand-in manager, whose contract at Stamford Bridge expires at the end of the season, met the technical director, Michael Emenalo, at the club's Cobham training base on Tuesday morning in the wake of defeat by Swansea in the Capital One Cup semi-final and Sunday's unconvincing draw at Brentford in the FA Cup. Emenalo – acting as a go-between for Abramovich – impressed upon Benítez that all efforts must focus on a top-four finish rather than retaining the FA Cup or winning the Europa League.
    supporter opposition to the Spaniard continuing unabated, he is unlikely to earn a longer stay at the club and Chelsea have begun to consider their options for a long-term replacement.
    Candidates on that list will include José Mourinho, Jürgen Klopp, Michael Laudrup and David Moyes, and the club are hopeful that Benítez will bequeath his successor Champions League football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd say ye'll get top 4 at a canter. Comfortable 3rd place to be honest. Never know, I wouldn't even rule out second. Only 7 points off it, with a game at hand.

They face Liverpool next, while you guys have 3 handy enough league fixtures before you play City yourselves. Wouldn't be surprised to see that as a "winner takes second" game. (for that gameday obviously, lots more twists and turns to come before the end of the season).

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'd say ye'll get top 4 at a canter. Comfortable 3rd place to be honest. Never know, I wouldn't even rule out second. Only 7 points off it, with a game at hand.

They face Liverpool next, while you guys have 3 handy enough league fixtures before you play City yourselves. Wouldn't be surprised to see that as a "winner takes second" game. (for that gameday obviously, lots more twists and turns to come before the end of the season).

Our consistency has been all over the place, we look excellent and terrible all within 90 minutes during some games, the sooner we have mikel and especially Moses back I'll be happier.

I'm still betting we'll finish 3rd but we certainly could finsih 2nd if we can oush on in the league and results elsewhwere go our way. We still have 3 huge away games ahead of us though, the Etihad, Anifeld and old Trafford so we cant take anything for granted at the moment, as long as we put daylight between oursleves and Spurs, arsenal and Everton I'll be happy.

Actually one positive thing about the Brentford replay is its another game that can reduce Hazard's ban. ;)

ESPN a bit late to the party.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/190840.html

Its still amazing to think that Courtois is only 20. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Eurosport are reporting that Chelsea have had a bid accepted for Jack Butland.
    I know the Daily Mail reported last night that Butland had turned Chelsea down.
    Time will tell but it does look like Chelsea are still in the mix for his signature.
    There's a couple of reliable lads on twitter saying The Daily Mail story is false and I don't think a reporter even put his name to that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

ESPN a bit late to the party.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/190840.html

Its still amazing to think that Courtois is only 20. :eek:

To be fair Gav that link from ESPN has direct quotes from Butland's agent.

BBC's twitter feed is saying Butland has turned down Chelsea too but I can't see it on their website.

• Advertisement

I suppose its one we'll just have to watch over the next 30 odd hours.

Although any deal will probably see Butland been loaned back until the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

The Butland thing is a bit odd to me. It's not like goalkeeper is a problem position with Cech and Courtois already on the books. I can only assume that they are intent on keeping Courtois happy by leaving him in Spain while Cech is No. 1 choice and they want Butland to take over from Turnbull as No. 3 in the pecking order, but No. 2 in practical terms for the Premiership.

But then, that doesn't make sense either, as Butland appears to have already stated that he's only interested in first team football, which would suggest we buy him and leave him at Birmingham. I'm confoozed.

It'd be a stupid move to go in for Butland. Unless it has something to do with having another English player in the squad or something. If we buy Butland, we'd have a wealth of goalkeepers that could line out for us:

Cech
    Courtois
    Turnbull
    Hilario
    Butland

Would be far too many. Not sensible at all. Even if we shed Hilario and Turnbull, we have Blackman waiting in the wings as well.

Courtois in his 2 years at Atletico has won the UEFA cup and the UEFA Super cup and is on course to finish top 3 in Spain, we'd be bat s**t crazy to let him go and hes only a year older then Butland.

Apparently Utd fans have started a "Keep Benitez" petition!

Apparently Utd fans have started a "Keep Benitez" petition!

They're only saying that so they get José. :eek:

They can fooooook off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Saw this and laughed..
    BB25bDjCMAAQZlZ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

This tells the truth........

photo_1354450551827-1-0.jpg

Saw this and laughed..
    BB25bDjCMAAQZlZ.jpg

Intrestingly enough, Torres squared both games up, who said his goals dont matter. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

An extra game ban totally unjustified so glad we are appealing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21262564?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement