Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

I thought the match was boring. Hope more flare is brought to the team soon.
    Only hope the team is settling down and Mata is brought in sooner rather then later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Not fully fit, not up to speed, that's something he's said himself.

I really hope you're right. I'm not so sure myself though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

What an awful match, I really thought that towards the 70th minute there if we started putting it to them we would turn the screw and win it, it was worth the gamble, Id prefer to chance the 3 points at this stage of the season then settle for the one.

I am worried too by Mata not coming on, he presumable brought Cesar on in the last minute as a sign that he has faith in him, why could he at least not have done this for our best player?

It will be a quite two weeks now apart from the Bayern game, oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That was a hard fought point, Utd just pipped it for me.

Not playing Mata at all is understandable in these big games just yet but its going to bring idiots out saying he doesnt trust or rate him but of which is utter bo**cks really.

Happy with a point, Rooney played very well, sign of things to come for Utd, got his head down and was wll up for it.

Hard to pick a MOTM, either set of CB's could have won it really.

I actually thought Schurrle done well enough considering we've being saying he'll play CF this season, not many times will he come up against better back fours then Utd, he kept them honest without possessing a threat really.

The boy is damn quick though and done a very good defensive job once Torres came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Chelsea FC ‏@chelseafc

Mourinho says Juan Mata is very important for him and Chelsea and stories are nonsense, he goes nowhere.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes

Mourinho when asked if Mata could be sold: "No chance. Juan goes nowhere"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Tough match no doubt happy enough with point, 3 weeks or so before another league match I hope we an learn to pass to each other in that time.

200 clean sheets for Petr well done old bean, not bad for a keeper many non Chelsea fans think his best days are behind him. Didn't have much to do to be fair

200 clean sheets for Petr well done old bean, not bad for a keeper many non Chelsea fans think his best days are behind him. Didn't have much to do to be fair

After Schemichel, hes being the best G.K. in the EPL's history easily.

200 clean sheets in about 500 league games is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Boring boring Chelsea!

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Boring boring Chelsea!

A draw at OT is always welcome though.

Anytime ya pick up points away to the biggest clubs is a bonus.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    A draw at OT is always welcome though.

Anytime ya pick up points away to the biggest clubs is a bonus.

As a fan were you happy with that? 4-6-0 shows weakness to me. And no Mata?? Baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

As a fan were you happy with that? 4-6-0 shows weakness to me. And no Mata?? Baffling

It was hardly 4-6-0, Schurrle stayed up top and played pretty much like a striker. The 3 behind the striker tried to support him as did Ramires or Lampard.

It was hardly 4-6-0, Schurrle stayed up top and played pretty much like a striker. The 3 behind the striker tried to support him as did Ramires or Lampard.

Yous played for the draw and got it. By god as painful as yous are to watch yous will win the league. Watch how many games you win by the 1 goal this year.

If it means winning the league by not losing to the likes of City and Utd then yes, the job has to be done.

Its not every week you'll by 3 or 4 goals.

I dont think its shows weakness either, both our CB's who I dont think are great, crowded the best Cf in the league and didnt give him a sniff tonight, his only real shot hitting the side netting.

Matas not fit yet, give him until after the internationals and he'll back good as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Yous played for the draw and got it. By god as painful as yous are to watch yous will win the league. Watch how many games you win by the 1 goal this year.

In the last 10 minutes Mourinho clearly settled for a point. Though I'd also say it was hardly the most cavalier Man Utd performance. Neither side really wanted to lose and neither were willing to gamble enough to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Jose set the team up for the draw and got it. On the plus side, that was JT back to his best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Not playing Mata at all is understandable in these big games just yet but its going to bring idiots out saying he doesnt trust or rate him but of which is utter bo**cks really.

:eek:

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

dfx- wrote: »
    :eek:

Why?

Because he's not match fit. He had virtually no pre season and hadn't trained for over a month before that after the longest season of his career.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

10 minutes at the end? He won't be match fit if he doesn't play

dfx- wrote: »
    10 minutes at the end? He won't be match fit if he doesn't play

Which is very true, although Mata himself said hes not up to speed in training, if thats the case then he cant be trusted in the biggest game of the season.

He'll be grand after the international break, it will give him more time to ctahc up to the rest of the squads level and then we can get down to the nitty gritty part of the season.

It will also be the end of the transfer window so we'll know exactly what we have and what we have to work with.

I'd nearly ship Ba anyway at this stage and keep Schurrle as an option up top, I'm surprised Mikel featured at all last night as I thought Essien might get on.

I wanna say I was impressed by Oscar last night, he was the most likely on our side to create or score, Hazard looked dangerous in flashes but he still doesnt get invovled enough given his talents he should be more direct, on Oscar, I think he could play in a CM role this season at some stage and as part of a 2 man pivot.

Even though theres 6 days left in the window, if I was picking my Chelsea XI for the rest of the season I'd probably say our strongest option is

Cech
    Azp Luiz Jt Cole
    Oscar Ramires
    Mata Willian Hazard
    Lukaku

Hazard is decent at tracking back and would suit it more so then Willian for the first few months as hes not used to the EPL and its all action style so could easily lose a man out wide and cost us. The team is also working on the prospect that no CF will be signed.

I'm kind of annoyed we didnt see Lukaku at some stage, he had a good pre-season and looks like he wants to play as much as possible.

Cech is only 8 clean sheets behind Bonetti, that record will go and probably before christmas too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I wanna say I was impressed by Oscar last night, he was the most likely on our side to create or score, Hazard looked dangerous in flashes but he still doesnt get invovled enough given his talents he should be more direct, on Oscar, I think he could play in a CM role this season at some stage and as part of a 2 man pivot.

Even though theres 6 days left in the window, if I was picking my Chelsea XI for the rest of the season I'd probably say our strongest option is

Cech
    Azp Luiz Jt Cole
    Oscar Ramires
    Mata Willian Hazard
    Lukaku

Hazard is decent at tracking back and would suit it more so then Willian for the first few months as hes not used to the EPL and its all action style so could easily lose a man out wide and cost us. The team is also working on the prospect that no CF will be signed.

I'm kind of annoyed we didnt see Lukaku at some stage, he had a good pre-season and looks like he wants to play as much as possible.

oscar was our man of the match i though other than terry, lampard and ramieres gave the ball away too much , hazard got marked out of the match and it was only when he went wandering that he got some joy .

i thought sky missed a trick by not giving the man of the match to rooney and try and get an interview

peteeeed wrote: »
    oscar was our man of the match i though other than terry, lampard and ramieres gave the ball away too much , hazard got marked out of the match and it was only when he went wandering that he got some joy .

i thought sky missed a trick by not giving the man of the match to rooney and try and get an interview

I was convinced Rooney was going to get it, he was Utds best player by a mile, RVP apart from firing into the side netting was kept very quiet which is always re-assuring, much the way we can be nullified if you stop the supply to Hazard, Oscar, Mata et al, Utd can be practically shut out of a game if you can keep RVP from finding space and time, I was impressed by how compact we were and when our full backs were beaten we dealt with all the balls played in.

A classic Jose point if there ever was one, if we can keep winning at home and getting the results away this season well be closer then 14 points to Utd or City or whoever is top come May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I must watch Oscar more closely lads because honestly, I don't see it, I really don't see how people are saying he should be a CM as I don't think he has the mettle tbqh

I thought United were superior in midfield, although this might have been down to Chelseas tactic of playing in quick ball behind for Schurrle to run onto, that said, I felt Carrick, Cleverly and a deep playing Rooney, strung passes together far, far better and looked much more fluid. Oscar did quite a bit of running around and made short simple passes but didn't really give a commanding performance in the middle - as opposed to when he broke forward and looked a real threat it has to be said. Which is why I think he's an AM not a CM for now.

When Chelsea did get on top it seemed to be Hazard who dictated play in the United half - I'd be very tempted to play him centrally rather than out wide as he can go through the middle himself, play a clever pall through, or distribute it quickly out wide - he did fade however, but he looks a class above when on the ball, great balance, touch, strength and vision - could play on any team in the world imo.

Rooney was MOTM in my mind, worked hard, passed well, created chances and gave a brilliant overall performance.

D'Agger wrote: »
    I must watch Oscar more closely lads because honestly, I don't see it, I really don't see how people are saying he should be a CM as I don't think he has the mettle tbqh

I thought United were superior in midfield, although this might have been down to Chelseas tactic of playing in quick ball behind for Schurrle to run onto, that said, I felt Carrick, Cleverly and a deep playing Rooney, strung passes together far, far better and looked much more fluid. Oscar did quite a bit of running around and made short simple passes but didn't really give a commanding performance in the middle - as opposed to when he broke forward and looked a real threat it has to be said. Which is why I think he's an AM not a CM for now.

When Chelsea did get on top it seemed to be Hazard who dictated play in the United half - I'd be very tempted to play him centrally rather than out wide as he can go through the middle himself, play a clever pall through, or distribute it quickly out wide - he did fade however, but he looks a class above when on the ball, great balance, touch, strength and vision - could play on any team in the world imo.

Rooney was MOTM in my mind, worked hard, passed well, created chances and gave a brilliant overall performance.

I think with Oscar its a role hes even ear amrked for himself in the future, hes not the quickest but hes no slouch and he has to bulk up a bit but given time I reckon he could be a good CM although with more tendency to get forward, which would mean we'd have to sit a defensive guy in there with him.

I'd agree on the Hazard thing, play him centrally, hes a slippery character and one thats hard to pick up, his turning of players who get to clsoe is a joy to watch, with Willian coming in I'd like to see him wide on one side and Mata wide the other and Hazard behind a CF, no doubt theyed all float but if Hazard is allowed to do what he wants in a free role he'd probably score and create more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Matas not 100% yet, he'll be grand after the international break.

It'll be interesting to see if he'll get called up by Spain to play Finland on Friday 6th September.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lads, well done on the point last night. Fair result.

A quick question (based on fantasy football). Can ye see Oscar playing a large percentage of games this year?

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »

A quick question (based on fantasy football). Can ye see Oscar playing a large percentage of games this year?

Hard to say really, his work rate is better then all of the AM's in our squad other then maybe Schurrle and Jose seems to fancy him.

I've Hazard and Lukaku in my fantasy team and Lukaku doesnt seem to be getting a look and Hazard hasnt done anything of note as of yet.

I'd wait until the games after the international break and then I'd decide but I'd probably keep Hazard and drop Lukaku but I reckon if we dont get Rooney its going to be Torres and Lukaku for CF, even with Willian coming in I'd say Oscar will play a lot of games but Hazard is probably the most likely to start and play the most games of all the AM's, including Mata.

FutureGuy wrote: »

Oscar is going to be a mainstay of the Chelsea and Brazil team for sometime I think, he has 22 caps for Brazil already that seems to suggest there is something about this lad.

I would like to see him drop back a bit for one game (maybe even Bayern on Friday) with Ram and let Haz, Mata, and Schurrle load the ammo for Lukaku. He is a good tackler, very brave and is not afraid to put his foot in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

We've triggered Martinez's clause apparently but Port radio say he's going to sign a new deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Arsenal fans are going mental as Mata's father and agent is present in the Arsenal director's box at the Emirates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Arsenal fans are going mental as Mata's father and agent is present in the Arsenal director's box at the Emirates

No giving them yossi is one thing but not the best player for two years in a row

Tweet was deleted apparently but what if he was. Maybe he was putting in an offer for the Arsenal trophy cabinet to hold his sons medals, God knows Arsenal don't need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

As if Arsenal would stump up the money for Juan Mata. No chance.

As if Arsenal would stump up the money to PAY Juan Mata. Definitely no chance.

As if Chelsea would sell Mata without an equally good/needed player coming in the opposite direction. Who the hell do Arsenal have in their squad that Chelsea would want? Unless Chelsea got Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Giroud and Szchezny (or however you spell it) along with a few quid, I wouldn't sent Mata over there.

Whatever about sending Mata to another English club, he would never be sold to another LONDON club. Not a chance.

Absolute bollocks, as Fergie would have said himself. Listen to both Mata and The Special One; they have both reiterated that there is not truth to any of that shíte about transfers out of the club regarding our Spanish wizard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Jose mentioned a player going on loan, maybe he would loan us Mata for the year, in return we will give him Macheda (who he can keep) and Bebe, who we will of course want back unless ye are prepared to part with a world record fee

Mata will be going nowhere, being saying it for weeks at this stage.

If he does go it would be a crime, the guys being our best player for 2 years and would seriously put a stain on Joses reutn this early into his tenure.

My guess is with Willian coming on board then Moses heads on loan to Liverpool. If Eto'o comes on board Ba leaves possibly to West ham possibly abroad. I think that leaves TSHO with his 22 outfield players which he considers the perfect number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Sky sports reporting that we're in "advanced talks" to sign Christian Atsu from porto. A Winger from Ghana.

Don't know anything about the guy.

Surely we don't need another winger? If theres any truth to it surely means one or two are out the door as Jose looks like he's bringing in the players he wants...

link to article

Top 8 clubs in UEFA's Champions League draw for tomorrow.
    1. Barcelona (Spa)

2. Bayern Munich (Ger)

3. Chelsea (Eng)

4. Real Madrid (Spa)

5. Man Utd (Eng)

6. Arsenal (Eng)

7. Inter Milan (Ita)

8. FC Porto

How BBC sees our best & worse case draws.
    Best case: Marseille, FC Copenhagen, Austria Vienna

Worst case: Paris St-Germain, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli

Although that doesnt include the teams playing tonight.

Zenit v P.Ferriera :pac:
    Maribor v Viktoria Pizen
    Real Socidead v Lyon
    Celtic v Shakter Karagandy
    AC Milan v PSV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sky sports reporting that we're in "advanced talks" to sign Christian Atsu from porto. A Winger from Ghana.

Surely we don't need another winger? If theres any truth to it surely means one or two are out the door as Jose looks like he's bringing in the players he wants...

link to article

Liverpool were interested in him for a while, pretty cheap squad player I thought. You already have Victor Moses and are happy to let him go.

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool were interested in him for a while, pretty cheap squad player I thought. You already have Victor Moses and are happy to let him go.

Pointless signing really, we need a CB more then another guy to play in the support role/on the wing.

On a side note, Cesar Azpiliceuta is 24 today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

My first rant .

F*cking Rooney !!!

he'd want to sort his head out

I'm leaving
    I'm staying
    I'm leaving
    I'm staying
    I'm leaving
    I'm staying
    I'm leaving
    I'm staying

wtf ???

Whats with Chelsea's really tough fixtures over the next few months ?

Do the EPL have it in for them or what ??

Meanwhile Arsenal are at home to Cardiff every f*kcing week...

the_monkey wrote: »
    My first rant .

F*cking Rooney !!!

he'd want to sort his head out

I'm leaving
    I'm staying
    I'm leaving
    I'm staying
    I'm leaving
    I'm staying
    I'm leaving
    I'm staying

wtf ???

Whats with Chelsea's really tough fixtures over the next few months ?

Do the EPL have it in for them or what ??

Meanwhile Arsenal are at home to Cardiff every f*kcing week...

I dont think Rooney ever said he was leaving or wanted out, just that he was angry and confused by comments made by Moyes.

Every team has periods of tough fixtures back to back, look at Utd, they played us and Liverpool back to back.

Ya cant be at home to Cardiff every week. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

mike65 wrote: »

Was suprised Liverpool didn't buy him tbh, he seems to be a player we could do with while Sterling & Ibe continue to develop.

Pointless signing really, we need a CB more then another guy to play in the support role/on the wing.

It would be a pointless signing - I can only assume Liverpool have worked it out that it's cheaper and smarter to try sign Moses (who's PL proven) on loan with a view to a permanent move than take on Astu

They're similar players I would have thought so it doesn't make too much sense to me

• Advertisement

link to article

I really hope that this is just more silly talk, at the moment we have Cahill as a starting CB along side an ageing JT. Our defence is wafer thin and we are looking at a winger and a striker, is Jose giving someone enough rope to hang themselves? Whoever is in charge of our transfer policy needs to get a grip.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement