Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

peteeeed wrote: »
    a pay cut of 50% even crazier

Just as crazy as signing the guy in the first place IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

GavRedKing wrote: »

i think if its a one year deal it makes sense, lukaku will be ready and another go for rooney next summer

peteeeed wrote: »
    i think if its a one year deal it makes sense, lukaku will be ready and another go for rooney next summer

I dont think we'll go back for Rooney at all.

Utd wont want to sell him to us at any rate.

Josh Mac on Twitter :
    Not sure where I'm going on loan. Need to get fit before I do, being out for a long time with my ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

On the Eto'o potential deal, its being reported as 6 or 7 million a year, Net

Which works out at 115K a week or 134k a week at the upper end which is crazy TBH.

Surely €40m to Dortmund and €150k a week would have landed Lewandowski that is just nuts. I know Eto'o did not cost €40m but we were prepared to give ManU that for Rooney.

Surely €40m to Dortmund and €150k a week would have landed Lewandowski that is just nuts. I know Eto'o did not cost €40m but we were prepared to give ManU that for Rooney.

Hes as good as a Bayern Munich player, the guy has no interest in going anywhere but Bayern next season no matter what we offered.

Word on Twitter was Jose did enquire and was told hes wasting his time he only has eyes for Bayern.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23873089

:rolleyes:

Until Eto'o scores about 30 goals I think its a waste, Lukaku will be 3rd choice now for sure behind Eto'o/Torres.

I am not sure Lukaku will be 3rd choice behind Torres I reckon he will be 2nd, well if he starts against Bayern on Friday I will be certain.

Wonder if this is true

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/chelsea-are-actively-trying-to-sell-fernando-torres-barcelona-cou

It would make some sense more so if Nando wants to go to the World Cup next summer as I cant see him getting much game time with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Ok so there is scepticism about this Eto'o move but I'm very happy with it. Am I biased? Yes, the man is a Barcelona legend, a real force at Barcelona.

I think this is a good move for all concerned. Ok he's 32 and he's not as quick as he was, still though it's not as if he needs a walking stick to get around, he is still mobile and you could make the argument that his link up play has only improved over time. He knows Mourinho, he really enjoys working with Mourinho and Mourinho likes and trusts him, that's important. He brings experience to such a young forward line. He knows how to play and what runs to make to make playing with small, technically supreme players. Unlike Torres and Lukaku who thrived at sides where they were able to play on the shoulder of a last defender against teams playing medium blocks, Chelsea often encounter sides in the Premier League who sit everyone behind the ball, Eto'o has played for big clubs like Barcelona and Inter who will have had to deal with similar tactics and he has succeeded. As a 1 year stop gap, I can't think of a better realistic option than the four time African player of the year and the three time Champions League winner. So that's my case for Eto'o.

Theres nothing to suggest Jose wil start will Lukaku though, if anything we could see Schurrle again and play the closing down game and try hit on the counter attack.

Theres also not much to base Lukaku being 2nd choice, if we sign Eto'o, he hasnt started any of the 3 EPL games and only played about 30mins from the bench in 2 of those games.

At the moment its Torres, Ba & Lukaku.

If we sign Eto'o it will be Eto'o, Torres, Lukaku and thats if we manage to ship out Ba.

Lukaku had a good pre-season so its baffling to see him not feature much TBH and given he wants to start in the WC hes against Benteke for that role and wont dislodge him from the Belgian team, Torres is least likely to go as Soldado has got 2 from 2 and Villa is in Spain with Atletico, his Spanish days are numbered.

• Advertisement

Ok so there is scepticism about this Eto'o move but I'm very happy with it. Am I biased? Yes, the man is a Barcelona legend, a real force at Barcelona.

I think this is a good move for all concerned. Ok he's 32 and he's not as quick as he was, still though it's not as if he needs a walking stick to get around, he is still mobile and you could make the argument that his link up play has only improved over time. He knows Mourinho, he really enjoys working with Mourinho and Mourinho likes and trusts him, that's important. He brings experience to such a young forward line. He knows how to play and what runs to make to make playing with small, technically supreme players. Unlike Torres and Lukaku who thrived at sides where they were able to play on the shoulder of a last defender against teams playing medium blocks, Chelsea often encounter sides in the Premier League who sit everyone behind the ball, Eto'o has played for big clubs like Barcelona and Inter who will have had to deal with similar tactics and he has succeeded. As a 1 year stop gap, I can't think of a better realistic option than the four time African player of the year and the three time Champions League winner. So that's my case for Eto'o.

My problem with Eto'o is not Eto'o per se, its that hes going to severly limit the game time for Lukaku. At his age he needs these games to progress, sitting on our bench isnt good enough for a guy of his talent and age.

Steve Holland is going to work with the England U21's as assistant to Southgate.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3440934/title/holland-to-work-with-young-england

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Leaving aside the € factor in relation to Eto'o, he's a finisher, strike rate of 1 in 2 or thereabouts wherever he's been. The man knows where the net is. It wont take him 19 games to get a light lantern jaysis shot on target. Has seen, done & won it all before. Jose knows his game, he knows Jose's game. He can lead the line and he's Joses type of wide man in a 4-3-3 (tough, no frills, direct).

Also Lukaku had 1/2 a season (I think) working with Drogba and 1 season working with Shane Long at West Brom. He will learn a lot from working with Eto'o.

I can hear Martin Tyler...Eto'ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I love him already.

ps....if we signed Ibrahimovic we'd p*ss ourselves. He's 6 months younger than Eto'o.

Garzorico wrote: »
    Leaving aside the € factor in relation to Eto'o, he's a finisher, strike rate of 1 in 2 or thereabouts wherever he's been. The man knows where the net is. It wont take him 19 games to get a light lantern jaysis shot on target. Has seen, done & won it all before. Jose knows his game, he knows Jose's game. He can lead the line and he's Joses type of wide man in a 4-3-3 (tough, no frills, direct).

Also Lukaku had 1/2 a season (I think) working with Drogba and 1 season working with Shane Long at West Brom. He will learn a lot from working with Eto'o.

I can hear Martin Tyler...Eto'ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I love him already.

ps....if we signed Ibrahimovic we'd p*ss ourselves. He's 6 months younger than Eto'o.

I'd much rather Ibrahimovic but he isnt going to come for a free transfer and I dont think we'll change our formation to a 4-3-3 we've to many options in the supoprting roles to drop 75% of them for Eto'o on the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

You'd think that Lukaku will start on Friday, even just because all the other striking options have been given a chance except him.

You'd think that Lukaku will start on Friday, even just because all the other striking options have been given a chance except him.

Why not start him against Hull or Villa so?

TBF Hull and Villa arent in Utds league and Utd arent in Bayerns league so starting him against Bayern would be weird, I'd love to see it but I'd also love to hear Jose's reason for picking him now in whats likely to be against our toughest opposition this season unless we face them in the UCL down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Eto is quality and Chelsea are getting him for buttons.
    The man is proven quality and still has blistering pace.
    Great signing for ye.
    I'd much rather Ibrahimovic but he isnt going to come for a free transfer

No you would need an extra 46m euro as Ibrahimovich = Eto + 46m euro

Probably the worst transfer business of all time

Why not start him against Hull or Villa so?

TBF Hull and Villa arent in Utds league and Utd arent in Bayerns league so starting him against Bayern would be weird, I'd love to see it but I'd also love to hear Jose's reason for picking him now in whats likely to be against our toughest opposition this season unless we face them in the UCL down the line.

I dont know Gav!

Maybe Jose could value the Super Cup less than them league games..

Eto is quality and Chelsea are getting him for buttons.
    The man is proven quality and still has blistering pace.
    Great signing for ye.

Its not buttons if the wages are to be believed, I've no problem with Eo'o but as I've said its probably going to take away from Lukakus game time.
    No you would need an extra 46m euro as Ibrahimovich = Eto + 46m euro

Probably the worst transfer business of all time

Wait until Bale goes to Madrid, then that will be the worse transfer business of all time. :pac:

I dont know Gav!

Maybe Jose could value the Super Cup less than them league games..

But.....its Bayern Munich. :pac:

I thought he'd play against Hull or Villa and prove his worth, hes not being given a fair enough crack at the whip.

Only thing I can think is Jose sees something he doesnt like or else his game has to evolve to fit in with that of the squads style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The off the ball lads interviewed a journo very familiar with Anzi and the journo said eto has been a disgrace there. Got a few penos but didn't try and is overweight.

This could make Torres and Shevshenko look like the transfers of the century

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Confirmed on CFC http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3441538/title/etoo-signs

Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Samuel Eto'o from Anzhi Makhachkala.

The 32-year-old has signed a one-year contract and on finalising the transfer he said: 'I am very happy to be here but also anxious because I want to get playing as soon as possible.

'It wasn't a hard decision. I saw the qualities Chelsea have, and I was very happy with Jose Mourinho before, so when the opportunity came, I was very happy to take it.'

0,,10268~12183422,00.jpg

I think Jose will get Etoo going again.. hes already got him to take a massive pay cut!

Shows how unhappy Jose must be with our strikers though to sign Etoo on a one year deal

Well thats the end of any Rooney deal for this and the next window.

I'm going to hold judgement on Eto'o until he scores about 30 goals.

Delighted to see him at Chelsea, a legend of world football, proven quality at the very highest level, I think this move could prove to be a stroke of genius.

Delighted to see him at Chelsea, a legend of world football, proven quality at the very highest level, I think this move could prove to be a stroke of genius.

Do you really think hes capable of scoring 20+ goals still?

On recent form, hes not.

Id rather Torres

The off the ball lads interviewed a journo very familiar with Anzi and the journo said eto has been a disgrace there. Got a few penos but didn't try and is overweight.

I think Jose will get Etoo going again.. hes already got him to take a massive pay cut!

Shows how unhappy Jose must be with our strikers though to sign Etoo on a one year deal

Maybe that is why he has taken a massive pay cut perhaps things not working out for him there. If the heads in the wrong place the body will follow.

Still he is a blue now so best of luck to him.

On recent form, hes not.

Id rather Torres

Is he capable? Yes.

Will he though? I dont know, I hope he does as it means we'll be scoring and hoepfully winning games.

He'll get my support but I hope his game time does not come at the expense of one of the worlds best young strikers in Lukaku which it looks increasingly likely.

On recent form, hes not.

Id rather Torres

No he will be better than Torres.

Last season everything was stacked up for Nando, he was our main striker - a legend was sacked and a Nando friendly manager installed. He still could not score in the league, by any account he failed miserably in the league.

Why would anyone expect him to improve this season? That really is why I think he will be 3rd in line behind Eto'o and Lakuka

Is he capable? Yes.

Will he though? I dont know, I hope he does as it means we'll be scoring and hoepfully winning games.

He'll get my support but I hope his game time does not come at the expense of one of the worlds best young strikers in Lukaku which it looks increasingly likely.

He got 21 last season in 44 games.. this is a different level though.. and hes a year older, im not convinced by this signing at all

On recent form, hes not.

Id rather Torres

I really think so. I think he will thrive playing with Chelsea's creative players and playing under Mourinho. He might not be as quick, though by many accounts he is still quick, but his improved link up play is another big plus and he knows how to lead the line for a top club, and that's vital experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

He got 21 last season in 44 games.. this is a different level though.. and hes a year older, im not convinced by this signing at all

Jose said it was Rooney or no one, here we are a few weeks later looking at Eto'o.

If you're a Chelsea striker and you see this you must be pi**ed off with Jose with his courting of Rooney and then this.

I hope he can bang in goals for us but I have my doubts.

Whats the chances of selling or loaning BOTH Torres and Ba?

I can honestly see Lukaku leaving before Monday.

Whats the chances of selling or loaning BOTH Torres and Ba?

I can honestly see Lukaku leaving before Monday.

Torres used to be disappointed about Drogba starting before him in 2012.. imagine how he'l feel now after having a reasonably good season last season

Joses brings in, Van Ginkel, Schurrle, Willian and Eto'o.

although how many did he ACTUALLY bring in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Eto'o is only on a year deal. I don't understand the level of panic in some posts about him. He's hardly a long term option. Worth a punt.

As for Rooney I'm delighted were aren't getting him. Completely over rated due to past performances and nationality.

Roman owns the club, he is entitled to buy whomever he wants and the manager should just get on with it.

Roll on the CL draw.

I cant wait to see Eto'o in action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Happy with this

Garzorico wrote: »
    Eto'o is only on a year deal. I don't understand the level of panic in some posts about him. He's hardly a long term option. Worth a punt.

As for Rooney I'm delighted were aren't getting him. Completely over rated due to past performances and nationality.

Roman owns the club, he is entitled to buy whomever he wants and the manager should just get on with it.

Roll on the CL draw.

I cant wait to see Eto'o in action

I'd take Rooney over Eto'o TBH.

Also if we were that interested in Rooney why didnt we just go big early and test Utds resolve? Not f**king about with sh*t bids later in the window?

So we were either trying to wind up Utd or wasted our summer trying to sign a striker while options went to other clubs, Cavani, Falcao, Higuain.

Hes got my support Eto'o but it just seems like a panic buy since we've missed Rooney.

RasTa wrote: »
    Happy with this

Course ya are, ye keep Rooney :pac:

Unless Eto'o turns out to be the EPL top scorer this season then I'd be happy....and we can take Rooney for cheaper next season. :pac:

A lot of ifs and buts really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Did anyone really expect him to try there? Or was everyone expecting him to work his tits off to get that coveted runner's up place in the Russian league he would swap all his medals to get. He was obviously only going there for the money. If I was him I wouldn't have bothered either.
    No, it won't. Chelsea are just signing a 32 year old on a one year deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Course ya are, ye keep Rooney :pac:

Unless Eto'o turns out to be the EPL top scorer this season then I'd be happy....and we can take Rooney for cheaper next season. :pac:

A lot of ifs and buts really.

More then that, weakest strike force of the top 3 by a considerable distance.

RasTa wrote: »
    More then that, weakest strike force of the top 3 by a considerable distance.

Not considerable but weaker yes.

We've the best midfield, worse defence and best keeper of the top 3.

Best gk - Chelsea, Utd, City
    defence - Utd just pip City, Chelsea
    Midfield - Chelsea, City, Utd
    Forwards - Utd, City, Chelsea

UCL draw on right now.............

Arsenal in group F, 1st team out.

Chelsea 2nd out.......into group E

• Advertisement

Group A - Utd
    B - Real Madrid
    C - Benfica
    D - Bayern
    E - Chelsea
    F - Arsenal
    G - Porto
    H - Barca

Schalke or CSKA would be my preferred from this pot.

Arsenal and Marseille and AC milan and Barcelona so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Group E Chelsea , schalke

Chelsea & Schalke

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement