Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/samuel-etoo-in-2004-id-rather-sell-groundnuts-in-my-village-than-to-play-for-a-pathetic-team-like-chelsea

:rolleyes:
    Eto’o in 2004: I’d rather sell groundnuts than play for a pathetic team like Chelsea

Friday, August 30th, 2013

bs2dcokccaachxd.jpg
    Id rather sell groundnuts than play for a pathetic team like Chelsea

What was it about the multi-million pound, one-year contract which made Samuel Eto’o change his mind about playing for Chelsea?

A group of Chelsea supporters are upset that their club have signed Cameroonian superstar Eto’o as they remember quotes spewed by the striker back in 2004.

To recap, back in 2004 Chelsea met Barcelona in the second round of the Champions League. Barca won a controversial first home leg 2-1, a game in which Didier Drogba sent controversially sent off.

Before the second leg there was plenty of banter between the sides, and famously Samuel Eto’o, then Barcelona’s leading striker, waded into the mix. Eto’o famously ranted:

I’d rather sell groundnuts in my village than to play for a pathetic team like Chelsea.

As it happened, Chelsea won the return leg 4-2 to complete one of their finest victories in Europe to date.

So, is it time to forgive and forget or do Chelsea fans have reason to dislike their new signing?

Remember Chelsea’s famous 4-2 win over Barcelona from 2004 below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We've one of the best records against Barcelona in recent times in Europe its clear we were going to get under their skins.

Quotes mean nothing and all will be forgotten if he fires us to a title or trophy, thats how fickle us fans are, even Rafa was getting a pass towards the end of his tenure from the majority of fans, although that was aprtly down to the EL and aprtly because we knew his time was up and rumbles of Jose coming back were doing the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

the_monkey wrote: »

You just gotta love Ricky, what a match that was non too shabby for a boring team.

The drag back on Valdes was one of the best things I've seen, although the goal that never was against Liverpool, getting robbed against Barca 3/4 years later and losing the finals on penos more then made up for it. :pac:

Yea we sure as hell paid for that, still was great at the time.

• Advertisement

Yea we sure as hell paid for that, still was great at the time.

Oh it was brilliant and at least we banished those demons in Munich. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

the twittersphere seems to be reporting that we have signed atsu from porto and he's going to vitesse for a years loan

peteeeed wrote: »
    the twittersphere seems to be reporting that we have signed atsu from porto and he's going to vitesse for a years loan

Waste of signing TBH, we need to be buying quality CB's.

Talks of Moses off to Liverpool, dont know would he ge game time there but a better chance at Anfield then if he stayed with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

What about our loaned CB's? If one of them were to make the step up it would be something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I'll find it difficult to warm to Eto'o.

I'm not sure why but I just don't like him and never have, I hope he gives me a reason to change my mind.

Panthro wrote: »
    What about our loaned CB's? If one of them were to make the step up it would be something.

Its a very hard position to fill and one I'd be happier finding a JT/Cahill replacement and then a youngster also making the step up, then relying on the kids on loan.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Talks of Moses off to Liverpool, dont know would he ge game time there but a better chance at Anfield then if he stayed with us.

steve clarke has asked to bring him to west brom , jose gets on with clarke and rogers so hard to say who moses will go to

Moses would get more game time at WBA thats for sure and if he shows the kind of form Lukaku showed then it would be good for him.....he still wont get in our team next year though. :pac:

Anyone know when the Spanish squad will be announced for the WCQ against Finland and upcoming friendly against Chile or has it already?

@Gav,who do you think he's earmarked (if anyone!) for the CB position? Luiz will be back but for me, he's not someone Jose would rely on, unless he tones down the kamikaze footy he's prone to play from time to time. (Put him in DM Jose!)
    For a man that wants a 22man squad, I think a few more players might be on the chopping block if we do sign another winger.

@Gav,who do you think he's earmarked (if anyone!) for the CB position? Luiz will be back but for me, he's not someone Jose would rely on, unless he tones down the kamikaze footy he's prone to play from time to time. (Put him in DM Jose!)
    For a man that wants a 22man squad, I think a few more players might be on the chopping block if we do sign another winger.

centre backs we have JT, Cahill, ivan and luiz , thats enough in a 25 man premiership squad with kalas , ake and chilobah as back up

JT and Cahill played really well at OT, terry looks well up for it this year with all his troubles behind him

Tonight will be a real test for the CB pairing of JT/Cahill. They done well against Utd with RVP being the only outlet as Rooney dropped deep and Valencia and Welbeck offered width, although Welbeck had 2 very good chances that had they fallen to RVP or Rooney we would have lost.

Bayern are a totally different animal in personnel and playing style, I think if w get cut open tonight and we will he'll have to re-evaluate how we play agaisnt the European sides and then have another plan for playing the best European sides.

Cahill/JT are ok for the Hulls and Villas of the world but I reckon as soon sa Luiz is fit he'll be playing CB, hes a level above any of our current options and with our CM looking packed I reckon he'll be playing there for the future. If on the flip side JT/CAhill put in a masterclass tonight then Luiz will struggle to get back in, a CB partnership is probably the most important on the pitch and one that managers rarely change unless they have too.

Looking objectively we've 4 CB's so 2 men for every position is covered in that regard, i dont think its down to trusting him its down togetting even more out of him, theres not many CB's with Luizs ability and skill set, if they can focus his defensive abilities and awareness then we've got one fo the best CB's around for years too come.

We've got a really good base to build on, Carlo didnt get enough time to influence him, AVB was attack minded and he suited his gung ho approach to defending at Chelsea which is not where we're at right now and Rafa shifted him into CM for a decent % of the season.

Unless we sign a Hummels or the likes then I reckon as soon as hes fit and ready he'll be playing CB again, Cahill is a limited JT for my money but JT at one time was one of the best defenders around, those days are gone, along with his apce but Cahill is in the mould, albeit with a bit more football and technical ability when striking a ball, Cahill will never progress to the level that we need of him, neither will Ivanovic but as hes played most of his games at RB I'm going to cut him some slack.

Maybe Kalas can be the one and we wont have to spend, hes certainly very athletic and also a very good reader of the game and anticaptes alot of whats happening around him for such a young guy but hes going to need game time, sitting on our bench isnt good enough for him or the other talented players we've high hopes for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Reports are we have signed Atsu and loaned him straight to Vitesse.

Johner wrote: »
    Reports are we have signed Atsu and loaned him straight to Vitesse.

Is he 21 or 23?

Reports seem to be conflicting, I've seen some 21 and others saying 23.

• Advertisement

Probably 31. :pac:

I hope that JT & Luiz will be our first choice CB's. Cahill is an OK back up but way to prone to brainfarts I think.

Gourlay says were still in for 1 or 2 players. Astu is one. So one more maybe if were lucky.

Also Eto'o is our 18th overseas player over 21 so at least 1 has to go so either Ba or Torres I reckon to make way.

We have to leave one go it seems as 4 CFs for 1 spot makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Anyone apart from me think we still need either another CB or another enforcer in the midfield?

Legion. wrote: »
    Anyone apart from me think we still need either another CB or another enforcer in the midfield?

CB yes, I think in CM we're well served, Van Ginkel will be a real star in 2-3 years I reckon.

Chalobah has signed a new five-year contract.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3442516/title/chalobah-signs-until-2018
    CHALOBAH SIGNS UNTIL 2018
    Posted on: Fri 30 Aug 2013

Nathaniel Chalobah has committed his future to Chelsea by signing a new five-year contract.

The 18-year-old, who is widely considered one of the most promising talents in English football, is a product of the Chelsea Academy and although he has yet to make his first team competitive debut, he was involved in the pre-season tour of Asia, following an impressive year on loan at Watford.

On signing his new deal, Chalobah said: 'It is great for me that Chelsea are willing to give me such a long contract, it is a big confidence boost.

'I think I have developed a lot as a player but I know I must continue to improve to earn a place in the Chelsea team and with my future settled, I can concentrate on doing that.

'Watford was a great experience, I learned about playing in front of a crowd every game and so many other lessons that there are too many to list. Training with Jose Mourinho and the Chelsea squad this pre-season, every session has been different with something new to take on board. I've enjoyed it a lot.

'I would like to thank all the coaches who have helped me throughout my time at Chelsea.'

Jose Mourinho added: 'He's a very, very good player and I like him very, very much. I am very impressed. For sure he is a Chelsea player.'

Chalobah, who is comfortable operating in central defence or in midfield, has been captain of the Chelsea youth and reserve teams and lifted the FA Youth Cup in 2012. He has long played above his age group at international level, making his England Under-17 debut aged 14 and winning the European Championships with that team at the age of 15. He later became captain of England Under-17s and Under-19s and is now in the Under-21 squad, playing in the European Championships in Israel in the summer.

In February he was named England Men's Youth Player of the Year at an FA awards ceremony.

Playing his club football last season in the Championship, Chalobah made 42 appearances at Watford as they reached the play-off final at Wembley, and he was named the Football League's Young Player of the Month for April.

In the summer he played for the Chelsea first team in Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia.

• Advertisement

Great news for Nathan.
    making his England Under-17 debut aged 14

That's brilliant. :eek: I've wasted my life ha.

What we need now is news that Mata has signed a new deal.

Mata will sign a new deal, I'd bet on it. Tweet from the cfc fanzine mag,
    cfcuk Fanzine ‏@onlyapound

Keep calm Chelsea - Juan Mata going nowhere!!! (straight from the man himself!)

BS6py86IMAAmkoH.jpg

Legion. wrote: »

Think ok in midfield but we do need new defenders we are a CB injury away from being in big trouble. Unless of course TSHO see's something in Kalas and Nathan and is comfortable.

Think ok in midfield but we do need new defenders we are a CB injury away from being in big trouble. Unless of course TSHO see's something in Kalas and Nathan and is comfortable.

I think one of them has to go on loan and keep the other, so I'd keep Kalas and send Chalobah on loan if the right team came in for him.

Johner wrote: »
    Mata will sign a new deal, I'd bet on it. Tweet from the cfc fanzine mag,

If Mata signed a new deal back in December until 2018 then surely only a pay increase is in order, although that increase was meant to be for about 100K.

Saying that, theres no way in hell he'll be leaving.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Chelsea Youth @chelseayouth
    Republic of Ireland looking for Patrick Bamford to declare for them: link played U18 for them, U19 and U20 for England.

• Advertisement

Ya I thought I heard he played U18's for us and switched.

Weird one though, unless the Irish coaching team have a plan for Bamford.

Any idea if the game is on the wellybox tonight gents?

Any idea if the game is on the wellybox tonight gents?

I assume BT or UTV will have the game.

Its actually on Sky Sports 1 :eek:

UTV 7.30pm according to Entertainment.ie

• Advertisement

I'll sort a match thread there................

I'll sort a match thread there................

Big it up as "The Battle to end all Battles" (of Friday night footy)
    or something like that!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Its actually on Sky Sports 1 :eek:

It's also actually actually on your very own RTE2 :eek::eek:

RichT wrote: »
    It's also actually actually on your very own RTE2 :eek::eek:

F**k them. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

A savage defensive performance , brilliant match delighted with the performance , Rambo can be a real liability , cech was amazing, we won't be easily beaten this season

Obviously disappointed at how it ended but happy with our performance. Bayern were always going to have a lot of the possession but I thought we had the better chances and defended very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Mourinho talking some utter sh1te in that interview on itv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Very happy with your performance , which is the main thing. Cup woulda been a bonus. Some great displays

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Before the match I don't think any of us were too bothered with the cup, the media attention was on Jose vs Pep and the question of "where do this Chelsea side measure up against the European Champions" if you look at it from that perspective and forget the emotions involved in the match (when suddenly winning the cup became of paramount importance) then I think the side acquitted themselves brilliantly in relation to "where do they measure up." Did they have the most possession? No, but they never were going to have. Did they create the most chances? No, but I would argue that actually they created some of the best chances in the match. Accepting that technically Chelsea aren't as good as Bayern but playing to their strengths (strong, determined defending and a danger on the counter attack) they matched the European Champions, playing for over 40 minutes with 10 men, they gave them a proper test and were seconds away from winning. If you go back to the question, "where does this Chelsea side measure up against the European Champions?" I'd say over the course of 120 minutes pretty damn close.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement