Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

GavRedKing wrote: »

Also a link in ther somewhere that says Jose is having a look at Matic.

Panthro wrote: »
    Also a link in ther somewhere that says Jose is having a look at Matic.

That would just be excellent, buy Luiz and swap Matic, 3 years later buy Matic for 20 million plus.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

No plan B aint much of a manager neither then

No plan B aint much of a manager neither then

He used to be but that was when he had the best team and could unearth a gem from nowhere, those days are long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He used to be but that was when he had the best team and could unearth a gem from nowhere, those days are long gone.

Times have changed, circumstances have changed, but he's as good a manager as he always was

greendom wrote: »
    Times have changed, circumstances have changed, but he's as good a manager as he always was

I agree on the first part but I'm not sure on the final part.

I wouldnt be calling for Wengers head if I was an Arsenal fan as you could argue other teams have got stronger while spensing while Arsenal are in a good position to captailise with little debt and a practically new stadium but the cost is evident, there long term goals have cost them short term success and how many years is it now, 8 without a trophy?

Thats not good enough for a team of Arsenals ambition and size.

I agree on the first part but I'm not sure on the final part.

I wouldnt be calling for Wengers head if I was an Arsenal fan as you could argue other teams have got stronger while spensing while Arsenal are in a good position to captailise with little debt and a practically new stadium but the cost is evident, there long term goals have cost them short term success and how many years is it now, 8 without a trophy?

Thats not good enough for a team of Arsenals ambition and size.

I think this is the first window where we've really been able to compete financially with the big boys (such as yourselves) since the stadium has been built. We didn't get the targets we were after and didn't strengthen enough but Ozil is some compensation. Be very interested to see how things go in January. Hopefully we're working on our targets now.

I think this is the first window where we've really been able to compete financially with the big boys (such as yourselves) since the stadium has been built. We didn't get the targets we were after and didn't strengthen enough but Ozil is some compensation. Be very interested to see how things go in January. Hopefully we're working on our targets now.

Janaury buisness is very hit or miss as you know. Assuming youre still in the UCL getting a guy in to add to that and aid that cause are few and far between, maybe Suarez is the only option in that regard but given Liverpools start to the season they could be in and around the top 4 by then anyway so will probably not sell.

You could always go after guys to add depth but if theyre not good enough, aka Ba, when we signed him, its a waste of mone, had Sturridge not wanted out I'd have rather kept him then sign Ba.

Getting Ozil was one of the best bits of business done over the window of that there is little doubt (I wonder how much ManU will regret not having a run at him). But with Podolski getting injured on the Sunday leaving to all effects one top line fit striker it is surprising that all the eggs were put in the Ba basket, it is not as if Wenger and TSHO have a history of being bosom buddies and their families all going on holiday together. That is what I find very surprising.

• Advertisement

Getting Ozil was one of the best bits of business done over the window of that there is little doubt (I wonder how much ManU will regret not having a run at him). But with Podolski getting injured on the Sunday leaving to all effects one top line fit striker it is surprising that all the eggs were put in the Ba basket, it is not as if Wenger and TSHO have a history of being bosom buddies and their families all going on holiday together. That is what I find very surprising.

Yes we really needed a striker and it's disappointing that we didn't get one.

Walcott through the middle if all else fails, his finsihing his improved year on year where he could be played through the middle, nothing would be held up but thats not his game.

Should have gone after Torres :P

Should have gone after Torres :P

If we didnt sell 3rd choice we're not going to sell them Torres.

Torres will get us 25+ goals in all competitions this season lads, you heard it here first.

Torres will get us 25+ goals in all competitions this season lads, you heard it here first.

What did he get last year, 23?

I reckon Eto'o will be the main man unless Ba or Torres can find spectacular form from somewhere which is unlikely in Torres case, hes too patchy and unthinkable in Ba's case, hes just not at the races for a top club at all.

Only if we end up in the Thursday night league again I fear

I was being a bit tongue in cheek. Eto'o surely to start off leading the line. Unless he is dire altogether, in which case Torres will be leading the line.

Another season of willing Torres on I think.

Only if we end up in the Thursday night league again I fear

He scored 5 in the EL and 3 in the UCL last season.

Eto'o will be number 1 anyway so its all pretty pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The Lukaku loan isn't that surprising from the pov that Mourinho doesn't like developing young players and prefers to work with experienced players for the most part, this has been proven over the last 10 years or so.

What is surprising is the fact that he must rate Torres higher...I'd have Lukaku ahead of him any day.

Chelsea UCL squad confirmed.

No essien, kalas, chalobah, Josh Mac. the latter 3 will probably go on loan.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2014/clubs/club=52914/squad/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Bit surprised someone couldn't make way for Essien, wonder has he played his last game for us? Maloudaesqe season for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Thought Essien was going to play a part this season judged on pre sesaon! Surprised he's not in the CL squad.

Johner wrote: »
    Thought Essien was going to play a part this season judged on pre sesaon! Surprised he's not in the CL squad.

Has the CL squad been named? Really didnt think it would eb Ess who missed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Has the CL squad been named? Really didnt think it would eb Ess who missed out.

Yeah gav posted it above!

• Advertisement

I think the only one I'd see making way for Essien in that squad would be Mikel.

Johner wrote: »
    Yeah gav posted it above!

Attention to detail..... or the lack of it :eek:

Is there some doubt to Essian's fitness or is he now a league cup small premiership game player. Such a shame the knees have taken such a toll what a player he was.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek. Eto'o surely to start off leading the line. Unless he is dire altogether, in which case Torres will be leading the line.

Another season of willing Torres on I think.

Yea me too, not even Wenger would take Torres :D

Full list as follows :

Our current UCL record is :
    P - W - D - L
    UEFA Champions League 124 63 36 25
    Cech
    Schwarzer
    Blackman

Ivanovic
    Cole
    Luiz
    Cahill
    Terry
    Azpilicueta
    Bertrand

Ramires
    Lampard
    Oscar
    Mikel
    De Bruyne
    Van Ginkel
    Hazard
    Willian

Torres
    Mata
    Schurrle
    Ba
    Eto'o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

jose's thoughts on the late loan moves from chelsea tv

"I think it's time for everyone to stop talking about selling and buying players.

"There are always little things to do on the last day, people to leave. We have to think about the club, but we also have to think about what is best for the players individually.

"We decided Moses and Lukaku - two players we were more than happy to keep - that it's better for the club and the future of the players if they go on loan.

"With Lukaku, we have Fernando (Torres), (Samuel) Eto'o and Demba (Ba). Of course he would get playing time, but it's the choice of playing basically every weekend.

"He had lots of clubs and options, and we have to respect his decision."

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Full list as follows :

What's up with Azpilicueta..is he injured as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Full list as follows :
    Quote:
    Cech
    Schwarzer
    Blackman

Ivanovic
    Cole
    Luiz
    Cahill
    Terry
    Azpilicueta
    Bertrand

Ramires
    Lampard
    Oscar
    Mikel
    De Bruyne
    Van Ginkel
    Hazard
    Willian

Torres
    Mata
    Schurrle
    Ba
    Eto'o
    dfx- wrote: »
    What's up with Azpilicueta..is he injured as well?

:confused: :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I can see his name is on the list, that's why I asked.

He hasn't started a league game or the Super Cup game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Oh.

I think Jose seems to prefer Ivan at RB at the moment. I would have thought Azpilicueta would have been a regular starter after last seasons performances.

dfx- wrote: »
    I can see his name is on the list, that's why I asked.

He hasn't started a league game or the Super Cup game

Before the Jose hates all the Spanish starts up again, this is a close one, Ivan is better defensively and that would be needed against Utd, Bayen and Benteke so I assume thats why he got the nod in those games.

Azp is a more natural RB and offers us more of a threat going forward but Ivan scores a handful of goals a season from set pieces, hes really hard to pick up and stop and his work in both boxes could justify a start, Azp will get his chance though I'm sure of it.

peteeeed wrote: »

Marca reporting it........be interesting to see if true and if so, why didnt he just sign with Chelsea, ya know considering his old fella is manager. :pac:

good news for Nathaniel Chalobah ,Watford and Wigan trying to get him on loan before the weekend

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelsea-transfer-news-watford-wigan-2251886

He knows what to epxect at Watford so I'd be surprised if hes not back there for another season.

• Advertisement

He knows what to epxect at Watford so I'd be surprised if hes not back there for another season.

good fit with zola but wigan might be good too if he gets mccarthy's shirt . see him as a defensive midfielder rather than a centre back

Good point, although anywhere where hes going to get 30+ games is very welcome IMO.

When are UEFA or FIFA going to grasp the nettle and sanction RM and Barca for blatant tapping up of players, which is so much worse with Barca than any other club in the world. I honestly think they are a disgrace to football and a joke at this stage.

Over the summer the pursuit of Luiz was bad but at least he was on a super long contract so really he had no option but to stay at the bridge (and I would believe what he says in that I don't think he wanted to move anyway), to a lesser extent they were after Mata. Now apparently they want Courtois and if the press is to be believed (big if I agree but with Barca they are so low nothing surprises) he wants to go. We are on shakey ground here as he has no real affiliation with Chelsea I would suspect and less than 2 years on his contract at the end fop this season I think.

I really hope this is reported officially by Chelsea to UEFA & FIFA as I am sure if it were the other way around they would be kicking up merry hell and Platini would be itching to put us "in our box".

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/barcelona-have-contacted-chelsea-s-courtois-he-wants-to-sign-for-

When are UEFA or FIFA going to grasp the nettle and sanction RM and Barca for blatant tapping up of players, which is so much worse with Barca than any other club in the world. I honestly think they are a disgrace to football and a joke at this stage.

Over the summer the pursuit of Luiz was bad but at least he was on a super long contract so really he had no option but to stay at the bridge (and I would believe what he says in that I don't think he wanted to move anyway), to a lesser extent they were after Mata. Now apparently they want Courtois and if the press is to be believed (big if I agree but with Barca they are so low nothing surprises) he wants to go. We are on shakey ground here as he has no real affiliation with Chelsea I would suspect and less than 2 years on his contract at the end fop this season I think.

I really hope this is reported officially by Chelsea to UEFA & FIFA as I am sure if it were the other way around they would be kicking up merry hell and Platini would be itching to put us "in our box".

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/barcelona-have-contacted-chelsea-s-courtois-he-wants-to-sign-for-

I really don't get the Platini paranoia - where does it come from ?

peteeeed wrote: »
    good news for Nathaniel Chalobah ,Watford and Wigan trying to get him on loan before the weekend

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelsea-transfer-news-watford-wigan-2251886

I wonder if TSHO will want to hang on to him at least until January to provide some defensive cover for the Champions League. I really thought he should have gone on loan to a Premiership club as he seems to be at that level, it is an awful shame he did not go to Palace I really think he would have got decent game time. If he has to go to the Championship why not help out Franco again.

I really don't get the Platini paranoia - where does it come from ?

I think some would be from his many interviews where he stated that FFP was brought in specifically with ManC and more so Chelsea in mind - that is not paranoia I suppose more fact but just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.

In general I think English clubs do no get the rub of the green in Europe. I am sure if Chelsea were making the overtures that Barca make they woudl have been brought to book long since, look at the Kakuta affair they could not wait to ban Chelsea from the market and did not let evidence get in the way of doing so.

Is this why Ess spends so much time on the treatment table .... can't say I blame him ;)

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/chelseas-treatment-room-looks-like-the-beginning-of-an-adult-film/?

I think its a dislike for UEFA, Platini is fodder to this as a result.

I think some would be from his many interviews where he stated that FFP was brought in specifically with ManC and more so Chelsea in mind - that is not paranoia I suppose more fact but just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.

In general I think English clubs do no get the rub of the green in Europe. I am sure if Chelsea were making the overtures that Barca make they woudl have been brought to book long since, look at the Kakuta affair they could not wait to ban Chelsea from the market and did not let evidence get in the way of doing so.

It wasn't brought in to be specifically anti any English club. It was brought in to stop football clubs becoming over-dependent on their owners largesse, but to be more self reliant.

Other clubs had been banned before the Kakuta issue, and the ban was actually issued by FIFA.

• Advertisement

It wasn't brought in to be specifically anti any English club. It was brought in to stop football clubs becoming over-dependent on their owners largesse, but to be more self reliant.

Other clubs had been banned before the Kakuta issue, and the ban was actually issued by FIFA.

True it wasnt anti-English clubs but it was clubs like ourselves and City that were mentioned a lot when the FFP was brought in.

We're a better run ship then City, we've had 10 years of Roman while the Shieks have been at City what 5 years?

Didnt City vote against the EPL own FFP rules recently, Chelsea voted in favour of them, which shows ya what ya need to know really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement