Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

That's Chelsea's bogey team played (and lost to early on). Ain't seen a team defend like that in a long time. Fair play Everton...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Eto'o looks well passed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

That's Chelsea's bogey team played (and lost to early on). Ain't seen a team defend like that in a long time. Fair play Everton...

The did defend brilliantly in fairness and yeah, I hate Everton away, at least it's done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Oh dear. Like OHHHHH DEAR. We don't usually do well at Everton but it still hurts to take a loss four games in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Everton are cannon fodder. Stephen Naisimth, in all fairness. We should have been 5/6 up prior to them scoring.
    They defended ok in the 2nd half but we didn't threaten mearly enough. Talking Mata off was a mystifying decision.
    I didn't want Jose back and I haven't seen anything to change my mind yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

The "top 3" don't really appear to have that gulf in class everyone was expecting. Apart from City's first game against Newcastle, all 3 have been largely underwhelming. Maybe time will tell but so far, everyone looks vulnerable. Bodes well for an exciting season if nothing else.

Garzorico wrote: »
    Everton are cannon fodder. Stephen Naisimth, in all fairness. We should have been 5/6 up prior to them scoring.
    They defended ok in the 2nd half but we didn't threaten mearly enough. Talking Mata off was a mystifying decision.
    I didn't want Jose back and I haven't seen anything to change my mind yet.

Everton are far from Fodder, especially when at home. They fought for everything and counter attacked superbly. Losing away to them is no big deal.

Jose will grind out results, i'll take that all day over attacking and conceding sloppy goals at the other end like we have been so frustratingly does the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Everton are no pushover. Having said that, in many ways we played like the home team, and it's a pity we didn't convert at least once.

Mourinho didn't get his striker in the end, so he's going to spend this season getting the most out of a squad not in his own image, and planning a big overhaul for next season.

We may not win any trophies, which would be a pity as with all the teams in transition the premiership is there for the taking. Still it's early days, and if Mou concentrates only on the Prem and UCL, we should be well in the hunt for both. We won't be running away with the premiership though.

Everton are far from Fodder, especially when at home. They fought for everything and counter attacked superbly. Losing away to them is no big deal.

Jose will grind out results, i'll take that all day over attacking and conceding sloppy goals at the other end like we have been so frustratingly does the past few years.

Is that not exactly what the team did today?

I know its early but we have to date:
    beaten a newly promoted team that will w/o doubt be relegated, 2-0 at home.
    Just about beat more cannon fodder at home in Villa.
    Played out an obvious 0-0 against a not exactly inspired Utd.
    Couldn't score against a mid-table team this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

2 Things

1)
    Rubbish
    4 games in and allready league campaign is over.
    I didn't want Eto'o he hates Chelsea and Mourinho and his heart is not in this, he will score max 3 goals in all competitions this season - 2 of them probably v Lincoln City in the league cup.
    This bollix about "the hate has turned to love" - crap, what else is he going to say?

2)
    Why was I kicked out of the shed end supporters fantasy football league ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

the_monkey wrote: »
    2 Things

1)
    Rubbish
    4 games in and allready league campaign is over. . . . . . .

I didn't realise the next 35 games don't count towards the league??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Bring back Rafa ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

bring back avram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Bring back Bates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

the_monkey wrote: »
    2 Things

1)
    Rubbish
    4 games in and allready league campaign is over.
    I didn't want Eto'o he hates Chelsea and Mourinho and his heart is not in this, he will score max 3 goals in all competitions this season - 2 of them probably v Lincoln City in the league cup.
    This bollix about "the hate has turned to love" - crap, what else is he going to say?

2)
    Why was I kicked out of the shed end supporters fantasy football league ???

Ah jaysus, It's good to see that old fashioned optimism is still alive and well! Classic stuff, monkey. Keep it up. On dark days like this, your posts are actually a ray of sunshine. :D

And have a quick read through your post if you want to know why you were kicked out of a Chelsea supporters FFL... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Jose Mourinho has accused Chelsea of lacking a “killer instinct”. For such an accusation to come from a manager for whom that quality is a given, it was damning – and one that will reverberate. This could turn out to be a watershed moment for some Chelsea players.
    Artistic football without goals is not good,” Mourinho continued after this 1-0 defeat, the first he has ever suffered at Goodison Park. On six previous visits he has gained four wins and two draws but the Happy One was understandably unhappy. He demands efficiency, not fluffiness.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10302668/Everton-1-Chelsea-0-match-report.html

People say it's early days yet. But not to the January window. I'm guessing certain players are on ten games, or even less, to prove their worth to Mourinho's way of playing. If they don't, they'll find themselves sidelined by early November and effectively on the market.

Etoo is a low cost risk. He can come good and get a decent haul of goals, or flop and be third string if a better striker is brought in in January.

I think what's clear though is that yesterday's result [and indeed the first four games of the season] was par for our course over recent years, and with this kind of ineffectual scoring we're not going to win the premiership - unless it turns into a slow bicycle race.

Some major changes are in the offing over the next 12 months. I do fear for Mata. Less so Luiz, who can be deployed both in defence and in front of defence, and who is a very good option for the different game required in the UCL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Arsenal top,

the joke gets funnier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We were very unlucky not to win yesterday. With all the huff and puff we couldnt score. Eto'o was unlucky. Mata wasnt good enough. Mikel was better then Ramires. Oscar is becoming a guy we're very dependent on and was missed. Willian one side and Hazard the other will give us huge potential to cut teams open.

Plebty of points to play for yet, so moneky your posts are pointless and pathetic really,calling the season over after 4 games is beyond funny really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

Football supporters can be pathetic. People bitching about this and that. It's a defeat and we were unlucky. 3/4 wins on the trot and theyll be singing the teams praises. Take the good with the bad cause we''ll Lose another few times too as will all the other contenders.it's a long season although it's hard to see how we wont pay for not having a 20 league goals striker

fozz10 wrote: »
    Football supporters can be pathetic. People bitching about this and that. It's a defeat and we were unlucky. 3/4 wins on the trot and theyll be singing the teams praises of the team. Take the good with the bad cause we''ll Lose another few times too as will all the other contenders.it's a long season although it's hard to see how we wont pay fir not having a 20 league goals striker

Ya, in Ba, Torres and Eto'o im not sure if one of them can get 15-20league goals that we'll need from one of them.

So Basel on Wednesday night, we've to win to start of the UCL campaign and get some wind back in the sails prior to the Fulham game.

Oh and another thing, I despise Jamie Redknapp, I could go into a rant about him but its like repeating what we all know.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2421270/David-Luiz-defensive-liability-Chelsea--Jamie-Redknapp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Was disappointing on Saturday for sure but that is all in my view. Our lack of goalscoring is a concern about 225 minutes of premier league with no goals is not good enough.

Eto'o at least got into the right positions on Saturday and worked hard enough I though, made some lovely runs that didn't come off but will do in time. Taking Ash off totally unbalanced the team so it is hard to say what Nando brought to the party but he did nothing of merit whilst he was on.

I am hoping Mata was not match fit otherwise you have to start wondering about his future with us.

Was disappointing on Saturday for sure but that is all in my view. Our lack of goalscoring is a concern about 225 minutes of premier league with no goals is not good enough.

Eto'o at least got into the right positions on Saturday and worked hard enough I though, made some lovely runs that didn't come off but will do in time. Taking Ash off totally unbalanced the team so it is hard to say what Nando brought to the party but he did nothing of merit whilst he was on.

I am hoping Mata was not match fit otherwise you have to start wondering about his future with us.

Matas not a nailed on starter right now for us.

Although there is about 7/8 who are.

Cech
    Ivan JT Luiz Cole
    Ramires ??
    ?? Oscar Hazard
    ??

One thing about Eto'o, I'd agree with Grumpy, he was in the right places and put himelf about, another day he could have had 3, Ramires was unlucky, Howard made a great save from his volley, I thought Schurrle was poor and I dont think he'll start Wednesday, his chance was one of the best and to miss the target all together from there was muck, had that been Hazard or Eto'o coming in I would have fancied them to bury it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

totally , gave everton and out ball down the left with luiz trying to cover all positions , we were well on top and i thought there was no need to go all out, eto once he's dusted the cobwebs off played quite well, thought the diving header was going to go in , i think he'll do well for us

GavRedKing wrote: »
    One thing about Eto'o, I'd agree with Grumpy, he was in the right places and put himelf about, another day he could have had 3, Ramires was unlucky, Howard made a great save from his volley, I thought Schurrle was poor and I dont think he'll start Wednesday, his chance was one of the best and to miss the target all together from there was muck, had that been Hazard or Eto'o coming in I would have fancied them to bury it.

That was a terrible touch from Schurrle alright, I had forgotten about that, thanks Gav :confused:. Oscar and Hazard have been consistent when played, KdB and Schurrle have mixed the good with the bad. Mata has not done much as yet, not really had a chance though. Will Willian, Oscar, Hazard, Eto'o become our first choice attacking line up?

That was a terrible touch from Schurrle alright, I had forgotten about that, thanks Gav :confused:. Oscar and Hazard have been consistent when played, KdB and Schurrle have mixed the good with the bad. Mata has not done much as yet, not really had a chance though. Will Willian, Oscar, Hazard, Eto'o become our first choice attacking line up?

I know if it was Football Manager I'd be inclined to go with

Cech
    Ivan JT Cahill Cole
    Luiz Oscar
    Hazard Mata Willian
    Eto'o

Reason - Luiz in CM would be better defensively then Ramires and offer more on the ball then Mikel and with Oscar playmaking from deep the emphasis on Mata or whoever in the CAM wouldnt be as important.

Its probably our most attacking lineup and more then likely something we'll never see but Luiz showed hes able in CM while Oscar is as yet unproven in their but he'd need a guy to sit in there and let him to his thing coz he can mix it up too but a guy in there thats more then willing to do the dirtier work would suit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Neville here doing a good piece on David Luiz and the differences in football culture that creates different kinds of centre backs. Carragher meanwhile showing a complete lack of understanding that not every defender is thought the English way, and of course Luiz has just won a Confederations Cup with Brazil and Pique has won everything with Barcelona and Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Neville here doing a good piece on David Luiz and the differences in football culture that creates different kinds of centre backs. Carragher meanwhile showing a complete lack of understanding that not every defender is thought the English way, and of course Luiz has just won a Confederations Cup with Brazil and Pique has won everything with Barcelona and Spain.

Just wanted Carragher to shut up during that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Barca love, yawn.

The Sturridge thing has me perplexed...

He was sulky and wasteful when at Chelsea but is thriving at Liverpool a player cannot swing in form (for such a prolonged period of time) for no reason. I wonder what it was, training regime???

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

He was sulky and wasteful when at Chelsea but is thriving at Liverpool a player cannot swing in form (for such a prolonged period of time) for no reason. I wonder what it was, training regime???

He's playing week in week out as opposed to mainly on the bench with an occasional start when at Chelsea. That's gotta inspire confidence in himself.

However if when 'The Biter' comes back and Rodgers decides to rotate them, we might see a difference in his attitude.

He was never really played through the middle for us, simple.

The talent is there alright for the young lad.

Watching the Liverpool game, thats one reason we got rid of him, he can be very selfish and greedy and headless, but hes hit the net with a couple of those attempts for Liverpool so far in his career.

RichT wrote: »
    He's playing week in week out as opposed to mainly on the bench with an occasional start when at Chelsea. That's gotta inspire confidence in himself.

However if when 'The Biter' comes back and Rodgers decides to rotate them, we might see a difference in his attitude.

I reckon we'll see Suarez playing in the support role.

Sturridge
    Suarez Couthino Moses

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

He was never really played through the middle for us, simple.

The talent is there alright for the young lad.

A bit like Torres, he suits Liverpool more than Chelsea. Most teams simply wont play as high a line against Chelsea as they do against Liverpool. Chelsea are not as quick to go from back to front to find the striker on the shoulder of the last defender as Liverpool are. Drogba, for the way we play, suited us down to the ground, the perfect Chelsea striker. Neither Torres or Sturridge are Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Moses is destroying Swansea.

Sakho hasnt started well for Liverpool but he is a very good player, surprised we didnt show any interest really.

Sturridge was a show pony when playing for Chelsea. Never passed. Always shot no matter what the angle. He's not a bad player but frustrating to say the least.
    Moses is the perfect Jose type player. Good going forward, strong in defence a great engine, Scores goals. Surprised at that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Sturridge needs to be number 1, its that simple!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Surprised people are saying they're worried about Mata's future... when there's Ba and Torres that are surely at the front of the line for being shipped out if the opportunity presents itself. Madness to start contemplating moving someone on at this stage of the season, when they've been the player of the year for two years running.

Saadyst wrote: »
    Surprised people are saying they're worried about Mata's future... when there's Ba and Torres that are surely at the front of the line for being shipped out if the opportunity presents itself. Madness to start contemplating moving someone on at this stage of the season, when they've been the player of the year for two years running.

Different players we cant ship out Ba and Torres without replacements not so the case with Mata. Not sure anyone on here wants him shipped out but worried he might be.

Personally I hope his season is just being managed, he will not make the Spanish world cup side for what he did in August and September but if he is still firing on all cylinders come April and May and we are in the thick of things he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Different players we cant ship out Ba and Torres without replacements not so the case with Mata. Not sure anyone on here wants him shipped out but worried he might be.

Personally I hope his season is just being managed, he will not make the Spanish world cup side for what he did in August and September but if he is still firing on all cylinders come April and May and we are in the thick of things he will.

Yep, you're right, but I would have thought the heat would have been more on those two than Mata. He's only had one game since the start of the season!

I've every confidence that he won't be discarded or sidelined with such fickleness.

Whether he might not be the player that plays every game as in previous seasons... remains to be seen. Could be in rotation depending on tactics needed for the match.

I think Ba and Torres are dead men walking really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

BUXpdE2IgAADC4y.jpg:large
    Just posted by Eden

What channel(s) are showing our match tonight?

What channel(s) are showing our match tonight?

sky sports

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »
    sky sports

Thought as much. :o:(

I'll bloody miss it so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement