Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Oh I am fairly certain there will be changes, would expect Ram - Torres - Mata at least to come in. Would like to see KdB working with Eto'o I think that could be interesting but a small bit of me wonders what would be the reaction if he did do that.

As for Van Genkel I think he was as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof but he should for certain get a start against Swindon. Despite the fact he lost control of simple passes quite a lot actually he looks like a very good player.

Oh for Swindon there should be 11 changes easily.

Schwarzer
    Azp Christansen Ake Bert
    MVG Josh Mac
    Willian Mata Schurrle
    Ba

That would be a drastic change but theres enough quality in that team to put away Swindon you'd reckon, maybe a 1st team CB in next to Ake or Christansen to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Oh for Swindon there should be 11 changes easily.

Schwarzer
    Azp Christansen Ake Bert
    MVG Josh Mac
    Willian Mata Schurrle
    Ba

That would be a drastic change but theres enough quality in that team to put away Swindon you'd reckon, maybe a 1st team CB in next to Ake or Christansen to be sure.
    I thought McEachran was injured?

Now that is what has been missing since Carlo got the bullet in a word leadership, no panic just focus on the goal.

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2013/09/jose-mourinho-chelsea-style-of-play/?

We are going to be fine, better than fine we will be awesome. But we need to walk before we run.

Makes for good reading from Jose really, saying all the right things.

I think the fact that it is Jose woul dbuy more time then say AVB who had a similar blueprint for change but nowhere near a good enough squad to do it.

Jose will get a hell of lot more games then AVB to turn it around aswell.

amiable wrote: »
    I thought McEachran was injured?

No hes back at the moment, scored 2 goals against Norwich U21's last week.

http://www.chelseafc.com/under21s-article/article/3457663/title/under-21-report-chelsea-2-norwich-city-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

We not on the telly tomorrow?

I thought sky were showing all the late kick offs on saturdays

Edit: Oops we are. nice one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

We not on the telly tomorrow?

I thought sky were showing all the late kick offs on saturdays

Its down as sky sports 1 and heard nothing of it being changed yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

More pressure on Mata: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/20/chelsea-jose-mourinho-juan-mata
    José Mourinho has warned Juan Mata he will remain on the periphery of the Chelsea first team until he adapts his game to fit the new manager's style, with Oscar considered the side's first-choice No10 for the foreseeable future.

[...]

"The way I'm reading the situation and the reasons why, in this moment, he's not playing so much are things I can speak about with him, but not publicly," Mourinho said. "But he played against Everton from the start and you can analyse his performance. And he came on against Basel when the team were winning 1-0 – not like Demba Ba or Mikel John Obi, who came on to rescue the game –with specific tasks to do.

That's more than oblique criticism. If Mata doesn't measure up to Mou's expectations, there's little doubt he'll be shipped out. With all the midfield talent we have at present, even in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think Mourinho is just trying to be Mr Big Bollox with Mata. He has come back to the club and is going to try and ruin the teams best player to say he is the boss. I have always been a big Mourinho fan but what he is doing is malicious. Despite trying to be Mr Big Bollox, he didnt have the balls to sell him over the summer because the fans would have went mental. He will ruin him first and then flog him off.

I hope Mata gets out of there on January 1st, otherwise he will be missing the World Cup and his career will go downhill immensely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its hard to believe it would be possible for Chelsea fans to turn on Mourinho but he is doing his very best to make it happen.

Mata for me was the best player in the Premier League last season and now he can't even get a game. Its a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

I knew Jose would pull something like this. He's forcing out the top players, Just like he did with Ramos & Casillas at Madrid.

Mata has to adapt to nothing, he's been your best player for 2 seasons. Jose is a joke.

• Advertisement

I knew Jose would pull something like this. He's forcing out the top players, Just like he did with Ramos & Casillas at Madrid.

Mata has to adapt to nothing, he's been your best player for 2 seasons. Jose is a joke.
    Maybe Casillas is just not the man he used to be? Ancelotti seems to think so too. It seems to have taken Jose to make the call.

Ramos is talented, but maybe a bit too temperamental. It's a major flaw on the big occasion. Not that Madrid have enjoyed too much of those ever since Perez put the boot into Del Bosque.

Maybe it's more like Jose is a good judge of character and ability. I for one would certainly give him the benefit of the doubt over Casillas and Ramos.

As for Mata, there's no doubt he's a great talent. But he was acquired as a focal point for a tiki taka direction which failed as a ploy when Guardiola went to Bayern. Chelsea are going a different route under Jose, and it may well be that Mata doesn't fit in.

We'll see. Mata could prove us wrong. In which case he'll be an even greater asset for Chelsea in the coming years. Thus vindicating Mou's judgement even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Mourinho is being ridiculous. Mata is such a great player, what is he playing at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Perhaps it's a mind game to get Mata to push himself even more, reverse psychology.
    You never know with Jose.

I think Mourinho is just trying to be Mr Big Bollox with Mata. He has come back to the club and is going to try and ruin the teams best player to say he is the boss. I have always been a big Mourinho fan but what he is doing is malicious. Despite trying to be Mr Big Bollox, he didnt have the balls to sell him over the summer because the fans would have went mental. He will ruin him first and then flog him off.

I hope Mata gets out of there on January 1st, otherwise he will be missing the World Cup and his career will go downhill immensely.
    Mou didn't have to make a decision in July. He's pitting players against one another. It's called competition. As things stand, we have a surfeit of midfielders. If any have to go in January, it will be at a price. So it makes good business sense.

Mata's a very popular player at Chelsea. That's not to say he's beyond questioning. His goal/assist rate has been very impressive and consistent. But frequently enough the Chelsea midfield has been badly overrun. It's all very well trying to develop a tiki taka style. But in reality that only works for one club, Barca. And it's exclusively to service Messi.

Memnoch wrote: »
    Mourinho is being ridiculous. Mata is such a great player, what is he playing at?
    Let's get some perspective here. Mourinho is a great manager with a proven track record.

Mata is a very good player, but is not a number one choice for Spain. He's not untouchable, and not beyond improvement. Jose made a very valuable point about Oscar, and how Mata has to either compete directly with him, or find. Different role.

He needs to contribute defensively too. Even Torres puts in hard-working shifts harrying and tracking back. Maybe Mata can add another dimension to his game and thrive. In which case both he and Mourinho will get the plaudits.

Panthro wrote: »
    Perhaps it's a mind game to get Mata to push himself even more, reverse physiology.
    You never know with Jose.
    Could well be. He has to up the stakes with this squad some way. A perfectly legitimate form of man management.

On the reverse physiology point Panthro, do you think Mou actually wants to make Mata *smaller*?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its hard to believe it would be possible for Chelsea fans to turn on Mourinho but he is doing his very best to make it happen.

Mata for me was the best player in the Premier League last season and now he can't even get a game. Its a complete joke.
    Different squads, different styles? For example, everyone loved Zola. But we enjoyed greater success a couple of years later with some key changes.

Sometimes a team has to move on. Hopefully not in Mata's case. But Chelsea have to move on from the failed overall template of the last few years. An Jose is *explicitly* saying Mata will have to adapt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

His interview makes it pretty clear that Oscar is top dog for the #10 role so you have to look where Mata fits in after that... Hazard is nailed on LW and there are a lot of players to compete against Mata in a position that he is weaker in... I'm still confident he'll come good though.

McDave wrote: »
    Could well be. He has to up the stakes with this squad some way. A perfectly legitimate form of man management.

On the reverse physiology point Panthro, do you think Mou actually wants to make Mata *smaller*?

I'm speculating maybe he's basically saying to Mata look Oscar is better than you. And leave it up to Mata to either do nothing to change Jose's opinion of him, or (fingers crossed) Mata says to himself "well F that, I'm winning my spot back on the team by adapting to a different role or bettering myself in the No.10 spot".
    Big speculation I know, but I find it difficult to believe Jose would just walk in, take one look at him and say "not for me".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Perhaps but for me to play this out in public with the best player we've had for last two seasons is out of order.
    There is a lot of other clubs who would love Mata and I wouldn't blame him if he is now eyeing the January transfer window to get the hell out of dodge.
    I'm speculating maybe he's basically saying to Mata look Oscar is better than you. And leave it up to Mata to either do nothing to change Jose's opinion of him, or (fingers crossed) Mata says to himself "well F that, I'm winning my spot back on the team by adapting to a different role or bettering myself in the No.10 spot".
    Big speculation I know, but I find it difficult to believe Jose would just walk in, take one look at him and say "not for me".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Rumoured 11

Cech
    Terry
    Cahill
    Ivan
    Cole
    Ram
    Mikel
    Oscar
    Hazard
    Schurrle
    Torres.

Ba Luiz Mata and Ginkle not in squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Disgusted at the treatment of Mata.

Mata is better than Oscar.

I wish he'd chance KdB ahead of the German.

Etoo'o starts

Oscar Hazard and Schurrle behind him

I'd have gone with Torres up front, Hazard, Oscar and KdB behind him.

• Advertisement

So only change in rumoured 11 is Eto'o for Torres

Am I the only one that's not convinced by the German?

Haven't been impressed with Schurrle at all but its still early days.

Lukaku lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

No Mata :(

• Advertisement

Mata is not even on the bench. Despicable.

Disgusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

No Mata, shipping Lukaku out and bringing Eto in, Jose must think his ego is all he needs to win games.

The circus has well and truly arrived

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Absolutely flabbergasting stuff in Jose's interview.

Anyone watching the Jose interview?
    He said he has Willian on the beach ahead of Mata because Mata didn't convince in his last 2 outings.
    So Willian (barely in the door and didn't convince me at all the other night) is ahead of Mata, Chelsea's Player of the season?
    Righhttttttt.........:confused:

He is being nasty, there is no other way about it. He is just trying to ruin somebody to try and proclaim himself as "The Man".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Anyone watching the Jose interview?
    He said he has Willian on the beach ahead of Mata because Mata didn't convince in his last 2 outings.
    So Willian (barely in the door and didn't convince me at all the other night) is ahead of Mata, Chelsea's Player of the season?
    Righhttttttt.........:confused:

Lets face it, Mata doesn't have the pace, power and work ethic that Mourinho values so very highly. This is a clash of the Mourinho mindset against a physically average but technically brilliant footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

More and more delighted Mourinho didn't get the United job.

nuxxx wrote: »

Lets wait until the end of the season, better yet lets wait until the end of next season and then lets review how Mourinho's reign is going and then lets make silly comments.

Lets wait until the end of the season, better yet lets wait until the end of next season and then lets review how Mourinho's reign is going and then lets make silly comments.

I'm not talking about his tactical ability etc, I'm talking about the way he carries himself. Is that a silly comment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

His style of play over the last few weeks has shown why he'd never fit in, and why Madrid never warmed to him. Plenty of clubs are happy with the success he's brought but some would just never accept that type of football

Not trying to start a war here, just think the way Matas being singled out as a scapegoat is disgusting. One of my favourite players in recent years

I'm not talking about his tactical ability etc, I'm talking about the way he carries himself. Is that a silly comment?

Yes, it is actually. He's explained why Mata isn't in the side, he's had to do that because he has been hounded by the media about this issue. Personally I don't understand it, Mata's a terrific player, but if he doesn't fit into the managers philosophy then I credit the manager for sticking to his guns, I'll also say that the way some people have been talking you'd swear Oscar is Sunday League player plucked from obscurity, he's Brazil's starting number 10, he's a phenomenal talent and he's probably been Chelsea's best player so far this season, is it such a shock that he is starting? I don't think it is.

I think you are right there. The first thing he would have done would be to unceremoniously shunt Giggs out of the club as his way to be Mr Big Bollox.

I could bring up plently of other incidents, slapping Puyol, eye gougeing Vilanonova but I won't even go there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I could bring up plently of other incidents, slapping Puyol, eye gougeing Vilanonova but I won't even go there

you just did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Mata's probably good mates with one of the Real players he doesn't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yes, it is actually. He's explained why Mata isn't in the side, he's had to do that because he has been hounded by the media about this issue. Personally I don't understand it, Mata's a terrific player, but if he doesn't fit into the managers philosophy then I credit the manager for sticking to his guns, I'll also say that the way some people have been talking you'd swear Oscar is Sunday League player plucked from obscurity, he's Brazil's starting number 10, he's a phenomenal talent and he's probably been Chelsea's best player so far this season, is it such a shock that he is starting? I don't think it is.
    Ahead of Mata? Yes.

will someone please mark Bent!
    Cech savage save

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Ramires and Mikel is such a **** partnership. Not a pass between them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement