Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Game is crying out for a goal. Terrible thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

That_Guy wrote: »
    Game is crying out for a goal. Terrible thus far.

the game isn't the only thing that's crying.

OSCAR!!!

OMG, even loike Mata is clapping the man who is loike soooooo replacing him.

Mikel takes a shot on and the commentator goes "well if he scores against you, you know you're in trouble"
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Cheers José for sidelining Mata, hopefully he'll move to the red half of North London in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

That goal puts us top of the premiership for now. It's vital to capitalise on results like Liverpool's today. Otherwise it'll feel like fifth place is always around the corner, just like the last two seasons.

I understand how Abramovich feels. Puke football on show which is such a pity given the technically gifted players on show.

cson wrote: »
    Cheers José for sidelining Mata, hopefully he'll move to the red half of North London in January.

Luiz is stadium-benched as well. It's no biggie at this stage. Total rotation - at squad as well as teamsheet level.

Nando time

• Advertisement

Panthro wrote: »
    Nando time

He's no spring chicken.

How did Etoo play? Especially seeing as it's his third start without a goal. Very, well, Torresque, or even Ba-ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

lol at ramieres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

McDave wrote: »
    How did Etoo play? Especially seeing as it's his third start without a goal. Very, well, Torresque, or even Ba-ish.

Worse than Torres! At least Torres plays a little football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

haha

Mikel takes a shot on and the commentator goes "well if he scores against you, you know you're in trouble"

Im lost for words!!!!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Mikel has more goals than Eto'o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Fulham in trouble ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

oh my god!

MIKEL!

Fine strike from Torres forcing a corner and what a strike from mikel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Can't beleive Mikel scored lovely volley too

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Fine strike from Torres forcing a corner and what a strike from mikel

Can't see the match anywhere, but what a relief. Top of the table for tonight. A derby draw would be good tomorrow. Too much to hope for Arsenal and Spurs to drop points tomorrow! :pac:

In fairness to Torres he's looking quite sharp

and the cracks have been papered over. Give Mikel the match ball.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    In fairness to Torres he's looking quite sharp

Would be nice for him to score so. Up the ante for the other two boyos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Some players look desperately short of confidence. That lifted a bit after we got the second and we actually played some half decent football but that also might have because Fulham had given up. Anyway a win and a clean sheet is a start we just need to build on it. Hazard below par again though, for all his talk of adapt or die Hazard's played nearly every game and has been pretty shocking in them all bar Bayern in the Supercup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Very enjoyable Jose post-match conference there.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Very enjoyable Jose post-match conference there.

Link here

From the Mail earlier today: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2426426/Chelsea-built-team-Pep-Guardiola-got-Jose-Mourinho.html
    Chelsea have spent the last three years assembling a squad that would convince Pep Guardiola to take over. He turned them down.
    They built a team for Pep and then put Jose in charge. What did they expect would happen?

Lightweight defenders, elegant on the ball, and comfortable in attack (Cesar Azpilicueta) and floaty midfielders, soft in the tackle but sensational in their ability to do the unexpected (Juan Mata) would be integral parts of a Guardiola side. For better or worse, Mourinho, is not enamoured.

Looks like a major refit really is on the cards.

• Advertisement

That's a whacker of an interview. How not to have confidence in Mourinho! He made Redknapp sound like an eejit. And he explains Mata's conundrum perfectly sensibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

That's a whacker of an interview. How not to have confidence in Mourinho! He made Redknapp sound like an eejit. And he explains Mata's conundrum perfectly sensibly.

But Redknapp is one. The thing is fine player that Mata is Oscar is a better player than him. Jose may be many things but stupid is not one of them why would he drop Mata to show he is top dog that is just pure jibberish. He has won numerous leagues two champions leagues and he basically made a billionaire eat humble pie and rehire him.

I would guess he dropped Luiz and Mata because for him they do not do what he wants from a team. That does not suggest they are bad players it suggests he knows what he wants and his record suggests he knows how to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Well we won the CL without him and lots of other trophies too so he will need to back up his team selections with trophies to convince me.
    But Redknapp is one. The thing is fine player that Mata is Oscar is a better player than him. Jose may be many things but stupid is not one of them why would he drop Mata to show he is top dog that is just pure jibberish. He has won numerous leagues two champions leagues and he basically made a billionaire eat humble pie and rehire him.

I would guess he dropped Luiz and Mata because for him they do not do what he wants from a team. That does not suggest they are bad players it suggests he knows what he wants and his record suggests he knows how to get it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Oscar better than Mata..I'd be speechless if I wasn't typing.

Is that it so..nowhere else he can be slotted in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Mata is better than Oscar a blind man would see that. In the future who knows but over the last two seasons Mata has been the top 2 or 3 stand out premier league players. Sick of the treatment he is receiving and I hope Madrid win the champs league this year without him if we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

justshane wrote: »
    Mata is better than Oscar a blind man would see that. In the future who knows but over the last two seasons Mata has been the top 2 or 3 stand out premier league players. Sick of the treatment he is receiving and I hope Madrid win the champs league this year without him if we don't.

Obviously not in the opinion of Mourinho and not for the way Mourinho wants to play. For this new Chelsea approach, under this manager, Oscar is the better player. Let's not talk down the brilliance of the Brazilian, he's a sublime talent who, I think, more than merits his spot in the team and his performances so far this season have justified Mourinho's decision.

• Advertisement

How has he justified his decision when we have seen Mata do the same job for two years straight?

bullpost wrote: »
    Well we won the CL without him and lots of other trophies too so he will need to back up his team selections with trophies to convince me.
    And deservedly so. That generation was stiffed at least twice in the UCL before they finally won - once by Mourinho's Inter!

It's true Mou inherited a very healthy squad from Rainieri, but he elevated it into a winning machine which kept ticking over long after he left. Undoubtedly Ancelotti added his own finesse for the fantastic double year, but it's even arguable that in Carlo's second year the team was moving out of its prime.

We definitely were sliding the year we won the UCL - our premiership position didn't lie. But there was enough character, desire and luck going our way to deliver old Big Ears. There were even some of those residual characteristics going into last year which helped us to the Europa Cup. But don't forget the race for the lesser UCL places turned into a slow bicycle race. So last year could have turned out a real turkey, and Mourinho might have decided he wasn't going to manage a team outside the UCL.

As for Mata, I don't think we would have stayed in UCL premiership contention without him, he was so instrumental. But the team he was outperforming in wasn't consistent enough. Mou will be looking for consistency. Ironically, Mata will have to step up a level or alter his game to thrive in a new template. Let's hope he can. Because TBH if Jose can't get Chelsea back in the saddle, we're in for a prolonged period of decline, where at a given point Abramovich will cash in his chips.

There's a lot to play for at CFC. If you're thinking 5-year strategy, you're thinking building a squad to stay in contention, generally guaranteeing competition revenues, and then extending stadium capacity. Of the English teams, the Manchesters and Arsenal have the right venues. Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool don't. If we can't get our team back in shape, we won't be able to move back up to the level where our finances are sustainable longer term.

How has he justified his decision when we have seen Mata do the same job for two years straight?
    Mata has been outstanding, but in a declining team.

It's quite simple. In a new squad he's going to have to do a *different* job. Chelsea can't carry on in the same manner as the last two years just to accommodate Mata's particular strengths.

Now, if it was Messi, you'd build your team around him. As Barca did. But for all Mata's talents, Chelsea can't by the same token be built around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Because they beat a shoddy Fulham team in a shoddy manner. Nobody will be around to defend him when they drop points next time out.

Mourinho ain't lasting the season at this rate. For once in my life i could really relate to Abramovich when the cameras cut to him bored off his tits in the stand. Any team with John Obi Mikel in it does not want to entertain people.

Any team with John Obi Mikel in it does not want to entertain people.
    I can't imagine Mikel being in for the long haul. At least not in his current role.

• Advertisement

But that's the problem, he hasn't, at least not in the way Oscar can/has been doing. You are looking at this in too much of a black and white way when the reality is a bit more complex. Mourinho wants his side to work hard always, Mourinho demands that from every side he has coached, the biggest criticism of Mata since arriving at Chelsea is his lack of work ethic and that he can be knocked off thr ball a bit easily at times. Mourinho likes to have pace on the counter attack, Mata is the slowest of the squads options in that 3 behind the striker. Mourinho likes players who can win the ball back, Mata is pretty poor at that, on the other hand Oscar does this very effectively for a number 10. While this description paints Oscar as a work horse (he is) he also offers a lot on the ball, wonderful vision, fantastic passer and a dangerous dribbler, he's a Mourinho number 10, Mata is a Guardiola number 10 (or a coach of that nature).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Fair enough but I leave that kind of thinking to the execs at the club.
    I'm a fan and I love to see certain players wear the blue and play exciting football and Mata has been my player of choice over the past two seasons - was beginning to think we'd found our new Zola.

There's a lot to play for at CFC. If you're thinking 5-year strategy, you're thinking building a squad to stay in contention, generally guaranteeing competition revenues, and then extending stadium capacity. Of the English teams, the Manchesters and Arsenal have the right venues. Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool don't. If we can't get our team back in shape, we won't be able to move back up to the level where our finances are sustainable longer term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Crazy he can't get in that team and even more crazy you let your best forward go out on loan.

bullpost wrote: »
    Fair enough but I leave that kind of thinking to the execs at the club.
    I'm a fan and I love to see certain players wear the blue and play exciting football and Mata has been my player of choice over the past two seasons - was beginning to think we'd found our new Zola.
    It's a good comparison with Zola. Mata could yet come better.

The club politics can be a bit of a headwrecker. But it's been so much to the fore under Abramovich. Starting with the levering in of Grant in Mou's first tenure, the mean-spirited way Emanalo was foisted on Ancelotti, and the legion messing since.

Hopefully things will settle down soon. But to take Jose's analogy, it looks like many eggs are going to have to be broken to make the next omelette!

haven't listened to the mourinho interview regarding the mata thing.

But seriously how would he not have offer something more then shurrle yesterday?

I know shurrle has the pace and will track back but if we had mata on the right cutting in hazard on the left cutting in as mourinho likes his wingers to do with oscar in the middle surely that would be our best 3 behind the striker?

also just after watching the everton highlights...so frustrating watching his performance in comparison to eto'o and torres last night. would much prefer him leading the line for us as I'm sure most chelsea fans would

haven't listened to the mourinho interview regarding the mata thing.

But seriously how would he not have offer something more then shurrle yesterday?

I know shurrle has the pace and will track back but if we had mata on the right cutting in hazard on the left cutting in as mourinho likes his wingers to do with oscar in the middle surely that would be our best 3 behind the striker?

also just after watching the everton highlights...so frustrating watching his performance in comparison to eto'o and torres last night. would much prefer him leading the line for us as I'm sure most chelsea fans would

Width was a big thing against Basel, we had little of it. Yesterday, as Mourinho said, Schurrle offered real width, probably the most natural wide player that we have in the squad and it was his pace and willingness to run on the outside of the full back that brought about the important opening goal. Mata isn't a winger, he just isn't very effective out wide and with Hazard and Oscar already in the side having Mata there too just clogs up the middle since Mourinho seems intent that Oscar spend the majority of the time playing through the centre. It's fine looking at Schurrle and Mata and concluding that you prefer Mata but this is a case of horses for courses, this course required width, pace and work ethic, Mata wasn't the right horse.

Width was a big thing against Basel, we had little of it. Yesterday, as Mourinho said, Schurrle offered real width, probably the most natural wide player that we have in the squad and it was his pace and willingness to run on the outside of the full back that brought about the important opening goal. Mata isn't a winger, he just isn't very effective out wide and with Hazard and Oscar already in the side having Mata there too just clogs up the middle since Mourinho seems intent that Oscar spend the majority of the time playing through the centre. It's fine looking at Schurrle and Mata and concluding that you prefer Mata but this is a case of horses for courses, this course required width, pace and work ethic, Mata wasn't the right horse.

just after watching the interview and its clear that he simply doesn't fit the criteria for the type of players to play the style of football hes trying to incorporate here. If mata is going to come back into the team hes going work harder for the team tracking back etc like the special one said.

maybe it is just me but I'm not convinced by shurrle yet although i can see how he would be preferred right now. he worked hard today for chelsea today and was involved in the first goal. I just wish he would have run down the left wing more instead cutting in straight away just seemed to not be effective until he took the fullback on down the line and got his cross in.

Didn't mata play as a winger for valencia or am I wrong? Didn't he play wide left all season for chelsea in 11/12 until Robbie moved him centrally when he took over from AVB?

I know his best position is as a number ten im just asking as if he's played there before on the wing hopefully he can adapt his game and show what he can do for us.

Im starting to think Jose is punishing Mata for the Madrid Spanish players rebelling against him, a kind of warning to other players.

just after watching the interview and its clear that he simply doesn't fit the criteria for the type of players to play the style of football hes trying to incorporate here. If mata is going to come back into the team hes going work harder for the team tracking back etc like the special one said.

maybe it is just me but I'm not convinced by shurrle yet although i can see how he would be preferred right now. he worked hard today for chelsea today and was involved in the first goal. I just wish he would have run down the left wing more instead cutting in straight away just seemed to not be effective until he took the fullback on down the line and got his cross in.

Didn't mata play as a winger for valencia or am I wrong? Didn't he play wide left all season for chelsea in 11/12 until Robbie moved him centrally when he took over from AVB?

I know his best position is as a number ten im just asking as if he's played there before on the wing hopefully he can adapt his game and show what he can do for us.

He did play wide for Valencia quite often and of course also played wide for a lot of AVB's reign at Chelsea but he is not a classic winger, not by a long stretch. He can play wide but not nearly as effectively as he does from a central position, he is too quick to drift inside which is fine if there was a winger on the other side staying on the touchline nd a full back bombing on outside him but that's just not the case at Chelsea at the moment. Then there's the tracking back and pace issues too.

Just to clarify, I'm actually a big fan of Mata, he's another shining example of the conveyor belt of talent that has emerged from Spain this decade, my comments are simply trying to encourage posters to look at it from Mourinho's perspective.

I'm also a big fan of mata and think he should be in the team but after Jose's post match interview on sky sports I can understand his reasoning and let's not forget oscar has put on two man of the match performances and scored two goals! In fact he is our most prolific and best player of late. So even if we all love mata which again I do he can't be kept in the team if the manager deems someone else to be more effective based on his previous achievements, it's up to him now on Tuesday to prove Jose wrong and fight his way back in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement