Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Mata and Cahill on bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Subs :

Schwarzer, Azpilicueta, Cahill, Essien, Mata, Schurrle, Eto’o.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Bit disappointed that with the quality of players available that it seems that Ramires is starting on the wing. Also slightly concerned that Mikel appears back in favour again.

Mikel is our only option in CDM which we'll need today, match thread up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Mikel is our only option in CDM which we'll need today, match thread up anyway.

To me though, in the long term, that's a real problem.

• Advertisement

To me though, in the long term, that's a real problem.

Long term MVG should play there but since hes out Mikel is the only option.

I thought we'd line out with Cahill and JT at the back today and would have preferred it.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ronsgonawin

I just cant see 4-3-3 working as it negates Oscar and leaves us with only 1 dedicated CDM and at the moment thats either Essien, Mikel or Luiz.

Oscar hasnt played CM to show he can play in their and be reguarly good, Lamps influence from there can be questionnable given his age, Essien isnt good enough and Ramires will need a willing runner that can play ball, Oscar is probably the best bet but he'd have to adapt his game.

In the front three you need pace, plenty of it as you've no real number 10 to create so the wingers have to take on and beat guys and be comfortable carrying the ball. That nearly rules out Mata right away, its not his natural game he isnt quick enough. So it leaves us with Hazard on wing and probably Willian or Schurrle on the other behind Eto'o or Torres, probably Torres as hes better at holding up and bringing others into the game then what we've seen from Eto'o yet.

Teh defence is solid if not unspectacular at FB and our CB's are decent as Luiz is in and out and been fairly erratic where as JT has played every EPL game so far I'm sure.

For me 4-2-3-1 suits our balance better then Joses old 4-3-3 which was deployed a few times on tour but not so much in the league so far.

But chelsea dont have 2 defensive midfielders to play 4-2-3-1. Ramires and lampard are not DM's.

Completely out played in midfield again today. Agree you would need pacy wingers if you are playing counter attacking football but thats not what im talking about. Mata is brilliant at slowing things down until other players are in other positions and I think he could easily do this from coming in from the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The best thing about today is Mata will be starting now, also Torres was unreal today, he's much much better than Eto'o and should be our number one striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Also with Mikel taken off he might not be in the starting 11 as he has a habit of not tracking back or playing stupid balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

really good performance , the change of mata and ramieres moving into centre mid changed it all, torres looked really sharp , mike dean really is utterly detestable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

Wouldn't usually be happy with a 1-1 at Spurs but given how well we played in the 2nd half right up to Torres's 2nd yellow, one could believe we had every chance of nicking it.

Its good to see the team play well against a big team,

Is Nando out for an EPL game now, if so he has to play in the UCL next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Killinator wrote: »
    Wouldn't usually be happy with a 1-1 at Spurs but given how well we played in the 2nd half right up to Torres's 2nd yellow, one could believe we had every chance of nicking it.

Its good to see the team play well against a big team,

Is Nando out for an EPL game now, if so he has to play in the UCL next week.

Torres out for Norwich game I believe. He was differnt class today. Defenders were planking themselves every time he got the ball and ran at them. Jose's Torres > Rafas Torres. I like it a lot.
    How Mata ain't starting every game after that performance is a mystery. He's a class apart through the middle. I don't want him tracking back, leave him do what he wants on the pitch.

Terry looks back to his best too.

KTBFFH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

O my god if results stay the way they are at the minuite it could very well turn out to be a great day for us! Great to have mata back to his brilliant best turned the game today and I think our second half performance merited the draw if not the win, Torres a little unlucky to be sent off but he always seems to get himself into bother in big games.

just checked the results and not a bad point today. Did not expect both Manchester clubs to lose Come on Swansea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Arsenal top - joke.

But can't complain, both manchester clubs losing today was a shock, getting a point at WHL from an in form spurs was a bonus too.

4 pts is a tough one to get back, it's too close to 6, 7, 10 ... out of the race...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

the_monkey wrote: »
    Arsenal top - joke.

But can't complain, both manchester clubs losing today was a shock, getting a point at WHL from an in form spurs was a bonus too.

4 pts is a tough one to get back, it's too close to 6, 7, 10 ... out of the race...

the hilarity of negative attitude posts are wearing rather thin tbh.
    We seen a very good second half performance today with Torres being one if not our leading influential players. When was the last time we could say that? Try taking a few plus's from the game for the shyts n giggles.

Surely Jose must see now that Mata and Torres link up well together.Instead of keeping Mata out, Jose needs to start looking at Hazard and figuring out how to get him up and motoring on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Obviously we're not up to scratch yet, but neither are our 2 main rivals (still United and City btw). I'm not concerned about the North London clubs yet, both have history of not going to distance.

Apart from Everton, where I'd take a point, I'm happy with our league results so far. We have another couple of gears to find and I'm confident Jose can find them.

We have 3 of our toughest away games out of the way which is worth noting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Johner wrote: »

That's the thing, take those fixtures in isolation and I'm sure most fans would have taken a point each from United and Spurs anyway. Everton was disappointing but I reckon the rest will struggle there too.

Chelsea are improving and today started to gel better with nice football to watch. Mata will be more trusted and start more I think. Hazard may be dropped for a game or two and hope he comes back with the form of last year.
    4 points behind Arsenal but with them 2 bad games near each other will see them fold.
    Looking better for Chelsea from a few games ago with Mikel out of the team can see good things.
    Really impressed with Ivan at righy back and glad he is still in the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

With most of our rivals dropping points, it means we aren't far off the pace either. Not bad for a transitional phase.

In truth, the premiership is there for the taking. But despite the gradual improvements, we're still stuck with familiar problems. Most importantly, our strikers are not scoring. This is costing us points. It will turn our premiership challenge into a war of attrition, as opposed to leading from the front.

More worryingly, we probably have to secure at least four victories in the UCL to get through to the last 16. That's not going to be easy if all our strikers keep misfiring.

Having said all that, I'm confident enough of us being well able for a top-3 in the premiership. And with luck, much better, and a decent run in the UCL. But we really need that reliable striker. How right Jose was in focussing on getting one, even if many of us were initially laughing at his pursuit of Rooney.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I didn't recognise that Torres against Spurs?

Fight
    Desire
    Passion

Me thinks him a Jose might have had a long chat last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

We're four points off the top. Why is anyone worried? We're only six games in to the season... wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

Agueroooo wrote: »

Fight
    Desire
    Passion

Don't know if I'd agree with that tbh, although he's had a poor scoring record it was never down to a lack of effort / fight / desire / passion.

He was excellent yesterday though, particularly in the second half, as was Mata. I think Utd's problems at the moment are going to keep us in the race while Jose figures out the best approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

most of the papers reporting today that torres is to get a 4 match ban for gouging

Agueroooo wrote: »

Fight
    Desire
    Passion

Jose had a similar effect on Milito, got him fighting for the team and with real energy and passion, only problem was Torres went about it the wrong way the other day.

I still think Vertonghen made too much of the 1st trip and confronting Torres, but that doesnt excuse the attempted scratch and the 2nd yellow was laughable, had Torres taking a leaf out of Vertonghens book and stayed down longer instead of getting up, he may have escaped any action as it was a genuine 50/50.
    peteeeed wrote: »
    most of the papers reporting today that torres is to get a 4 match ban for gouging

That would be really disappointing TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

KdB won't be traveling for Tuesday's game.

Panthro wrote: »
    KdB won't be traveling for Tuesday's game.

Injured or just dropped from the squad?

What annoyed me about satruday is our 2nd half display was a total improvement on our 1st half, if we can start like that we'd trouble most times in Europe but when we're playing catch up and scoring to many goals we have to play out of our skins in the 2nd half of games to make up for it.

Jose must be pulling out his hair at it though.

A win on Tuesday is nearly a most given we lost our opening game at home, worse case scenario is we lose again and the other 2 teams could be out of sight early.

Just seen this :
    The Belgian (De Bruyne) was left out at Tottenham after a poor display in the Capital One Cup at Swindon, and has been told to train with the U21 squad.

• Advertisement

Mata will surely start too on Tuesday after his good 45 mins at the Lane, offside goal and an assist and a general all around good display should see him start.

I watched MOTD last night and we were unlucky not to win that match, Torres sending off was a joke, we would have won that had we finished with 11 men.

It's good sign as well to see Mata getting some time.

We certainly were finishing very strongly just before the sending off.

Torres played a great ball into Schurrle who should have done better but I'd give Lloris credit he gambled and rushed out to the edge of the box and got a good block on it but I'm wondering could he have gone around Lloris who was hugely committed that far out.

If Torres can escape a lengthy ban then I'll be happy.

Game on Tuesday then Mata has to be back in.

Cech
    Ivan Luiz Cahill Cole
    Ramires Lamps
    Mata Oscar Willian
    Torres

Drop Hazard his peformances havent been all that great so far this season, I'd keep torres in, if he can show that desire against spurs and Bayern then he'll get something on Tuesday.

Yep, Oscar had another great chance - at 1-0 down I think, but Schurle's chance was the moment .... damn ...

I forgot Oscars one actually, the Torres ball across from the right. Now I'm even more dperessed.

I've been disappointed with Schurrle's finishing, he has had great chances against Hull, Everton and Spurs and every single time his finishing has been woeful.

• Advertisement

I've been disappointed with Schurrle's finishing, he has had great chances against Hull, Everton and Spurs and every single time his finishing has been woeful.

The on against Everton was terrible as well, edge of the box on his strong foot and he balloned it in to the stand and it was 0-0 at that stage.

His work rate, energy and desire are unquestionnable but his finishing is very erratic to say the least.

Had Hazard still be on at that stage I'd have fancied him to score that one really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Injured or just dropped from the squad?

Seems he has been dropped and chastised

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/242935.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

His form has not been great but then that could be said of Eto'o, Ba, Shirley, Hazard and until last week Nando as well.

have to say against Swindon and Spurs Torres looked like he was interested, Agaonst Swindon you could say well he should be able to do it against them but Spurs at home are no pushovers. I hope he does not get a longer punishment as the Spurs defender should have seen red too as TSHO rightly said he was a disgrace.

This is quite funny apparently Chelsea fans want TSHO out

http://footylatest.com/the-unthinkable-is-starting-to-happen-at-chelsea-as-fans-start-to-turn-on-jose-mourinho/49743?

And Madrid fans want him back

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/real-madrid-fans-sing-for-chelsea-manager-jose-mourinho-after-losing-the-derby-to-atletico/?

You would have thought that with ManU showing some signs of imploding, ManC perhaps not doing as well as you would expect and Arsenal & Liverpool getting off to really good starts that there is plenty to write about rather than making up stories. If you were to take a poll I would have thought pretty much all Chelsea fans are sick of managers being sacked and I would very much doubt a poll of Madrid fans would want Jose back.

I dont know about a red for Vertonghen but he certainly played Torres well in both incidents and staying down for the aerial clash certainly helped his cause.

Torres was getting the better of Dawson all throughout the 2nd half and was becoming more of a threat had he been on for the last 10 mins then we could have easily gone onto win the game.

I can understand Joses frustration but I cant see a red for Vert, his foul on Ramires was as cynical as they come though.

At least we have a UCL ball to look forward to and hopefully Mata starts so does Torres and Hazard, Schurrle and Eto'o are kept on the bench for a bit, they've not been good enough at the moment.

KdB being dropped from the dquad for Tuesday and Willian dropped for the Spurs game as well as poor performances from Hazard and Schurrle should see Mata walk into the team and be in their with Oscar.

Surely both articles are piss takes?

Who wants Jose out and who is he to be replaced by if that was the case? :confused:

There is some really stupid people out their on the internet. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I dont know about a red for Vertonghen but he certainly played Torres well in both incidents and staying down for the aerial clash certainly helped his cause.

Torres was getting the better of Dawson all throughout the 2nd half and was becoming more of a threat had he been on for the last 10 mins then we could have easily gone onto win the game.

I can understand Joses frustration but I cant see a red for Vert, his foul on Ramires was as cynical as they come though.

At least we have a UCL ball to look forward to and hopefully Mata starts so does Torres and Hazard, Schurrle and Eto'o are kept on the bench for a bit, they've not been good enough at the moment.

KdB being dropped from the dquad for Tuesday and Willian dropped for the Spurs game as well as poor performances from Hazard and Schurrle should see Mata walk into the team and be in their with Oscar.

If Dean had been on his game (yea I know terrible ref who is never on his game) then Vertonghen should have got a second yellow for simulation when Torres went, of course it is probable that Nando should have seen red for raising his hands to Bambi on ice in the first place. Bambi should have seen red for the assault on Ram though absolutely deserving of a red all on its own.

If Dean had been on his game (yea I know terrible ref who is never on his game) then Vertonghen should have got a second yellow for simulation when Torres went, of course it is probable that Nando should have seen red for raising his hands to Bambi on ice in the first place. Bambi should have seen red for the assault on Ram though absolutely deserving of a red all on its own.

I blame the assistant on that side too, hes about 5 ayrds away when Torres clawed at him and the same guy is about 10 yards when they clashed again.

Dean is the senior ref in the league isnt he? He'll probably answer to the panel and Torres will probably get a further ban which will be a blessing in disguise for Jose he can use the us vs the world mentality again and it will fire up the players i reckon.

Mata will surely start too on Tuesday after his good 45 mins at the Lane, offside goal and an assist and a general all around good display should see him start.

Im nearly sure Jose said in an interview that is starting after his performance at the weekend. I think it was the one after the game on BT sports

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Im nearly sure Jose said in an interview that is starting after his performance at the weekend. I think it was the one after the game on BT sports

He deserves it anyway and with a few of the players off the boil then he certainly should be starting, its not must win but it would be very welcome if we can win this game, a draw or loss would put huge pressure on us early in the UCL.

Hazard is injured and KdB has been dropped.
    Mata's contribution at White Hart Lane, following on from his midweek performance in the cup match at Swindon, led Mourinho to announce after yesterday's game that the player would start away to Steaua Bucharest on Tuesday

Team will probably be

Cech
    Ivan Luiz Cahill/JT Cole
    Ramires Lamps
    Mata Oscar Willian/Schurrle
    Torres

Jose on Vertonghen and the decision.
    In other countries people say the guy is clever and the guy is intelligent because he pretends it's a penalty or a red card. Not in England, that's not what I learned here.

'That's why I don't think the referee is guilty, he made the wrong decision but he trusts the player. When you see the player with his hand on his face and pretending it was a violent action the natural tendency is to follow and make the decision.

'It was a situation where the player wasn't helping the referee. He's a fantastic player but he's a special guy because three days ago he left the player naked against Aston Villa. It wasn't a penalty or a red card and he shouldn't have played today, he should have been suspended from a red card against Villa. Today he changed the game, I'm not happy.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Mata starts on Tuesday. Jose confirmed it in post match interview.

Hazard is really struggling this term to date and that might be down to him filling out during the summer, De Buryne has been told to train with the U21's for the next three days, Schurrle is struggling with the tempo somewhat and Oscar despite being Jose's golden boy hasn't really done anything to date this season. Willian is only getting up to match fitness as well.

Mata is the only one who brings a high tempo to the team and really drives them forward.

Also Mikel is slowing the team down too much this year - Raimers and Lampard are my preferred option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

What do chelsea fans of be bruynes unhappiness at being dropped and being made train with the reserves?

Raedwald wrote: »
    Mata starts on Tuesday. Jose confirmed it in post match interview.

Hazard is really struggling this term to date and that might be down to him filling out during the summer, De Buryne has been told to train with the U21's for the next three days, Schurrle is struggling with the tempo somewhat and Oscar despite being Jose's golden boy hasn't really done anything to date this season. Willian is only getting up to match fitness as well.

Mata is the only one who brings a high tempo to the team and really drives them forward.

Also Mikel is slowing the team down too much this year - Raimers and Lampard are my preferred option.

Oscar, maybe Ivan have been our stand out players so far, Oscar of all the attacking players is a league ahead of what we have at the moment.

Mata and Hazard are playing catch up to him at the moment but both are well capable of surpassing his tally this season so far and will in due course I reckon.
    slingerz wrote: »
    What do chelsea fans of be bruynes unhappiness at being dropped and being made train with the reserves?

He has a right, to a degree but our squad is littered with talent.

He was wanted on loan from Germany but he was convinced to stay, if the manager says stay and impress and you'll play then so be it, KdB has the talent but he needs to be consistent and I can only imagine its training and some match displays that have convinced Jose that he needs to re-evaluate him.

If he was with us last year he would ahve got more games but with our talent in the support roles this year everyone is fighting for games which is good IMO but these young guys need games if they're to improve.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement