Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Oh and also, we have to start well, we're way to sluggish in games and usually dont start playing until about 20-25 mins into games, its just not good enough at this level.

The youth team are 1-0 up and coasting after25mins by all accounts in Romania playing against Steaua's youth team in the UEFA youth league.

Hope the seniors can do the same tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Just about to post it up, seems to be reported by a few sources too.

Happy days.

Although if thats thje case then Eto'o or Ba are likely to start tonight in his place. :(

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/torres-escapes-fa-action-for-scratching-vertonghen-608735.html
    The FA said in a statement: “The FA will take no action against Chelsea’s Fernando Torres in relation to an incident involving Tottenham Hotspur’s Jan Vertonghen which occurred in the 50th minute of their match on Saturday 28 September 2013.

“One of the match officials saw the coming together of the two players, albeit not in its entirety.”

Torres was later sent off for two yellow cards meaning he will serve just a one-match ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Didnt deserve to get anything added on, joke he was sent off in the first place

Swift has put the youth team 3-0 up in Romania, according to the reports it should be double that.

Hoping for a similarly comfortable performance from the seniors tonight.

What channel we on?

Sky red button?

astonaidan wrote: »

Agreed, the 2nd yellow was a joke but at least hes only missing Norwich now and not a further 3 games.

Jose was going to play him tonight if he was banned for 3 matches but I'd nearly still play him as at least he'll get a rest next weekend and if he can carry the 2nd Spurs performance into the game tonight we'll be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

What channel we on?

Sky red button?

Sky Sports 4 I think!

• Advertisement

Streams it is. :pac:

Agreed, the 2nd yellow was a joke but at least hes only missing Norwich now and not a further 3 games.

Jose was going to play him tonight if he was banned for 3 matches but I'd nearly still play him as at least he'll get a rest next weekend and if he can carry the 2nd Spurs performance into the game tonight we'll be sorted.

Thought he was fortunate to raise his hands and get away with it, the second yellow was a nothing challenge and a gross cock up (again) by Dean.

However he did well in the Swindon & Spurs games so as he is not playing anyway at the weekend may as well start him.

Schurrle or Willian to start with Mata and Oscar?

I reckon Jose will go with Schurrle for his work rate and energy but as we've mentioned his finishing is erratic, not that Willian is a goal machine either but Willian would be more of a natural replacement for Hazard on the left wing.

Has to be Ramires and Lamps in CM, Essien wasnt registered and with MVgs injury we could easily see Luiz pushed in there if Ramires or Lamps arent 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

astonaidan wrote: »

The red card he got was undeserved but this was a totally seperate incident was it not? What he did was a bit uncalled for, anyway what s done is done forget about it now and everyone can move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Its Mata to start (i think) Maurinho said hes starting Mata and dropping Schurle (cause unhappy with in training)< ....Said so in press conference b4 walking out!!! finally coming round to Juan Mata, really hope he is part of the 'Untouchables' etc.

Torres 2nd yellow was wrong... 50/50 ball. Anyone think game against Spurs was the best we've seen of Torres in a Chelski shirt in a long long time? seemed to be 'on it' to play well.

Also hope Jose realises that he needs the best from his Midfielders(Mata Hazard and Oscar) cause with E'to given a rest(?) to get him up to speed with Premier League etc. Jose is thin on Strikers (Seems no way back for Ba.(< gr8 palyer))
    That leaves only Torres.

Chelski HAVE to get a result tonight.

Ba is not a great player, not in any sense of the word.

Id have kept Lukaku, Sturridge and Drogba before signing Ba but thats a different story now at this stage.

Well half decent team Petr, Ivan, JT, Luiz, Ash, Lamps, Ram, Sch, Mata, Oscar, Nando
    subs Sch, Dave, Cahill, Obi, Willian, Ba, Eto'o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Shirley having a blinder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Excellent performance , schurlle the pick of the bunch , hope Torres is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

peteeeed wrote: »
    Excellent performance , schurlle the pick of the bunch , hope Torres is ok.

He played well. But his "opponent" (fock all opposition to him down that side) made him look even better.

Decent win but boy were they bad. Thought Oscar & Luiz did very well Eto'o seems to be wearing concrete boots can he get any slower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Decent win but boy were they bad. Thought Oscar & Luiz did very well Eto'o seems to be wearing concrete boots can he get any slower?

If Ba is worse than Eto'o in training, he must be shockin'!

Panthro wrote: »
    If Ba is worse than Eto'o in training, he must be shockin'!

Yea we could do with a big strong striker with a bit of pace ..... Hold the fort!!!!!!!!

Torres is out for the Norwich game so its Na or Eto'o. Having a scan in the morning so hopefully hes ok to come back in nearly 2weeks after the Norwich game is out next league game.

Next UCL game is Schalke away.

a few scenarios -
    we win, giving us 6pts after 3 games, Basle should beat steaue, giving them 6pts after 3 games, 3 teams on 6pts.

we lose, giving us 3pts after 3 games, Basle should beat steaue, giving them 6pts after 3 games, we're in 3rd on 3 pts while schalke have9pts.

We draw giving us 4 pts after 3 games, Basle should beat steaue, giving them 6pts after 3 games, we're in 3rd on 4 pts while schalke have 7pts.

Ideally we'll go and beat Schalke away but its a very tough game in truth and one Jose will look at the above and realise we can catch Basle and or Schalke if we draw in Schalke and win our 2 home games and get a point in Basle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Nice to see normal service resumed in Europe ... much better.

Weird headline just coming out ........ Fergie turned down Chelsea when he left Man utd ( or so he claimed ! )

Didn't see the game , how did Mata play ? Saw he was subbed at 80 mins.

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Nice to see normal service resumed in Europe ... much better.

Weird headline just coming out ........ Fergie turned down Chelsea when he left Man utd ( or so he claimed ! )

Didn't see the game , how did Mata play ? Saw he was subbed at 80 mins.

He turned us down? Ooooookkkkkk. :confused:

Mata was good, some clever touches and he worked very hard, he didnt directly set up goals but he was invovled in creating them 2 or 3 passes back that were key to the goals.

I'd rate him 7.5 or 8. Ramires was MOTM, broke forward a few times and was a threat but also shielded the back four well with Lampard, JT and Luiz played well and Cech made 2 or 3 good saves.

Schurrle played well but was very way ward with his finishing but his game was helped by one of the worse FB's I've seen at this level.

4-0 was deserved and it could have been 6 or 7 in truth.

Fergie was probably reacting to Jose saying he knew it was Moyes getting the job and that he told Utd he was going to Chelsea, after claims that Jose cried that he wasnt given the Utd job. :pac:

Fergie was probably reacting to Jose saying he knew it was Moyes getting the job and that he told Utd he was going to Chelsea, after claims that Jose cried that he wasnt given the Utd job. :pac:

coming out in this interview , all be it in the Daily Fail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2441244/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-interview-Former-Manchester-United-manager-reveals-turned-Chelsea.html

Davidth88 wrote: »

Ok , having read it now ( they only just published it ) , it was in 2003
    Ferguson also revealed that Abramovich tried to tempt him away from United when he took the reins at Stamford Bridge in 2003.
    'They used an agent to approach me when Abramovich first took over the club,' he said. 'And I said no chance.'

That makes more sense

• Advertisement

Makes more sense but it was never going to happen, not even with Romans vast fortune.

Next UCL game is Schalke away.

a few scenarios -

Ideally we'll go and beat Schalke away but its a very tough game in truth and one Jose will look at the above and realise we can catch Basle and or Schalke if we draw in Schalke and win our 2 home games and get a point in Basle.

No this really is not a tough group at all from what I can see. Schalke have had a very indifferent start in Germany, Basle are a decent workman like team no more. Steaua are terrible but hopefully will snag a point or two at home. There is absolutely no excuse for not getting out of this group at all.

I don't think we were that great last night but in fairness you can only play who is infront of you and 4-0 away from home is never bad. Would agree with your view on Shirley did ok but had little to worry him from a defensive or offensive point of view from that defender.

Mata I thought did fine nothing spectacular but a good all round job. The boys from Brazil did well, I do wish Ram would stop picking up stupid yellows though.

Words fail me with Eto'o did anyone go to see him or did we buy on his previous reputation? He is plain awful I really hope he proves me wrong but my God he is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

By half time, I just felt sorry for their right back. That comedy own goal summed up his night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Not surprised they selected Schurrle. :pac: Is there anything he can take for his shooting? :pac:
    César Azpilicueta ‏@CesarAzpi

Great victory tonight in Bucharest! In doping control with Man of the match @Andre_Schuerrle @chelseafc #CFC #KTFFH

BVhdpcpIQAArrXQ.jpg

Johner wrote: »
    Not surprised they selected Schurrle. :pac: Is there anything he can take for his shooting? :pac:

Ya, get a lend of Drogbas right leg. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Happy with the result and was good to score some goals!

Bucharest are pretty poor this year so cant read too much into the performance but the front three looked very good!

Loved Jose's comments about Mata tracking back which he never did before!

Pity about Torres but he has two weeks to recover now.

Hopefully Eto's fitness has come along and can do a job at the weekend!

What did Jose say about Mata?

Torres will be a loss no doubt but Norwich havent made a great start really and if we turn up and play like we can we should come away with 3 points.

Bremen looking to take De Bruyne back on loan in Jan.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/bremen-want-de-bruyne-back-29628410.html

"Mata played No10, he played No7, he played very well with the ball as he always does, and very good without the ball, as he never did," said Mourinho.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/01/steaua-bucharest-chelsea-champions-league

Good from Jose, all the talk of Jose not liking Mat awas bo**ocks, anyone with half a brain could see it, he just needed Mata to better himself and bring another dimension to his game.

Mata strikes me as the kind of guy that would do anything for the shirt and to play and if he has to put in a better shift and more running and Jose can get it out of him we'll be sorted.

He'll probably be gone too, he'll want to play as much as possible before the WC and if he does go I'd say we'll never see him again, he wont want to come back with so many guys ahead of him.

He is a fantastic talent and would be grieved to see him go but right now we have better players in the same position. Same could be said of Theo Cortibus (SP) at Atletico Madrid will probably never play for Chelsea (again) but hopefully we can sell them for a profit if we do.

Yeah the Mata thing was all a ploy to get him to put in more of a defensive shift!

• Advertisement

Raedwald wrote: »
    He is a fantastic talent and would be grieved to see him go but right now we have better players in the same position. Same could be said of Theo Cortibus (SP) at Atletico Madrid will probably never play for Chelsea (again) but hopefully we can sell them for a profit if we do.

Yeah the Mata thing was all a ploy to get him to put in more of a defensive shift!

I think its spelt Thiabut Courtois but if hes sold it will be the worse transfer decision this club will have made, hes already in the top 10 in the world and given his young age thats remarkable, Cech still has plenty to give but Courtois is a natural succesor.

Blackman is ok but hes nowhere near as good as Courtois so selling him for any amount of money would be absolute madness, he'll have to get huge assurances next year that he'll be playing or else I can see him leaving.

That's it though!

Their options are drop Cech to the bench or sell him and play Courtois.

Can't see either settling for a position on the bench and Cech still has many years left in him yet.

Silly but I quite like this

http://www.anorak.co.uk/368837/sports/signs-that-chelsea-are-working-in-perfect-harmony-in-this-terry-luiz-synchronised-gif.html/?

Shows how well Sideshow and JT can work together, now all we need is the score for the musical (I believe Sideshow Bob does like a bit of Gilbert & Sullivan)

That's it though!

Their options are drop Cech to the bench or sell him and play Courtois.

Can't see either settling for a position on the bench and Cech still has many years left in him yet.

I think next season is a case of s*** or get off the pan regarding Courtois. Both keepers are too good to be warming the bench but if we can get Courtois to extend his contract the price to us might be having to let Petr go. I really can't see an alternative sad that it would be to see Petr leave.

The impression that I have been getting from what Courtois is saying is that he wants to be #1 next year at Chelsea or they should sell him to Atletico. Which is fair enough.

My only worry is that with Cech basically back to his best and having experience of every possible match and Courtois having very limited experience he may do a joe hart and dramatically drop in form at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Happy with the result and was good to score some goals!

Bucharest are pretty poor this year so cant read too much into the performance but the front three looked very good!

Loved Jose's comments about Mata tracking back which he never did before!

Pity about Torres but he has two weeks to recover now.

Hopefully Eto's fitness has come along and can do a job at the weekend!

to me jose is only doing with mata what he did with joe cole, which was improve his game when he doesn't have the ball , also something that we can see with torres , up the work rate

The impression that I have been getting from what Courtois is saying is that he wants to be #1 next year at Chelsea or they should sell him to Atletico. Which is fair enough.

My only worry is that with Cech basically back to his best and having experience of every possible match and Courtois having very limited experience he may do a joe hart and dramatically drop in form at some stage.

There is always the possibility of a Joe Hart for sure but Courtois has played consistently well (very well) at a high level for a while now. Your concern is certainly valid but I think Courtois would step in no problem.

But yea letting someone like Petr go would always be a risk more so when you can be certain it would be to the likes of Barca, RM, PSG or the like

I had a huge response typed but its managed to f**k off somewhere. :mad:

Anyway, Courtois > Hart, Cech > Courtois.

Courtois potetinally > Cech.

Long term, new contracts for both and let battle commence.

Also worth noting Cech got to 100EPl clean sheets in just 148 EPL games.

Crazy stat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Heard rumors that Courtois would prefer to stay at Atletico permanently not long ago.

Double posting is such a dick thing to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement