Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Doff wrote: »
    Heard rumors that Courtois would prefer to stay at Atletico permanently not long ago.

Double posting is such a dick thing to do.

Aaahh my old friend.

Any link for what Courtois said regarding staying at Atletico?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

John Chapman was reporting it a while back so I imagine it has some sort of foundation. How long more would you be keeping Cech as first keeper realistically? He's only what, 31? Still years left in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

I dont recall anything of Courtois wanting to stay at AM permanently (he is way too good for them on a career basis)

This was well reported in various organs at the beginning of September

http://www.footballfancast.com/football-news/chelsea-star-ready-to-fight-for-place?

That was after talk of him going to RM, for me seems a very sensible young man.

Courtois is being very political, of course this being his 3rd year at Atletico they're more his club then we are but hes often said he wants to come back and play for Chelsea.

Next season will tell a lot as he'll only have a year left on his contract at that time.

Cech is a fine keeper, one of the best in the league and Europe but in Courtois we've a ready made replacement without going to break the bank in a few years.

It'll be the toughest call the club will have to make, if we get double what we paid for Courtois, about 15-17 million I'd say we'd take it but we'd be stupid to do so.

I dont recall anything of Courtois wanting to stay at AM permanently (he is way too good for them on a career basis)

This was well reported in various organs at the beginning of September

http://www.footballfancast.com/football-news/chelsea-star-ready-to-fight-for-place?

That was after talk of him going to RM, for me seems a very sensible young man.

Thsi si good to hear.
    "The club and Jose Mourinho wanted me back for this season.
    “They also considered the option of sending me out to a team in the Premier League.
    “But I was not interested in this option. I feel good in Madrid and wanted to play in the Champions League with Atletico

As he said, UCL experience and he should very well be Belgiums number 1 for the WC barring an injury or huge drop in form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Thsi si good to hear.

As he said, UCL experience and he should very well be Belgiums number 1 for the WC barring an injury or huge drop in form.

Pretty strong competition for that position atm. Belgium have almost an embarrassment of riches when it comes to keepers as they have a few more young keepers coming through that could soon be putting Courtois and Mignolet under pressure..

Seems like AVB throwing the toys out of the pram regarding Nando

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2441811/Andre-villas-Boas-labels-FA-farce-letting-Fernando-Torres-scratch-ahead-Tottenhams-Anzhi-clash.html

Think he should be getting a nice long sideline ban for that little temper tantrum.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Pretty strong competition for that position atm. Belgium have almost an embarrassment of riches when it comes to keepers as they have a few more young keepers coming through that could soon be putting Courtois and Mignolet under pressure..

I agree and Mignolet has made a very good start to the season but unless Courtois goes awol or injured I dont think he'll do enough to dislodge Courtois for the competitive games.

Although I'm truly jealous of the Belgian golden generation at the moment.

I agree and Mignolet has made a very good start to the season but unless Courtois goes awol or injured I dont think he'll do enough to dislodge Courtois for the competitive games.

Although I'm truly jealous of the Belgian golden generation at the moment.

Courtois is just about in the driving seat for the starting berth for Belgium imo, but Mignolet is pretty strong cover to have, and it will force both of them to keep performing as they have done for the past two seasons as any slip up lets the other in.

Seems like AVB throwing the toys out of the pram regarding Nando

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2441811/Andre-villas-Boas-labels-FA-farce-letting-Fernando-Torres-scratch-ahead-Tottenhams-Anzhi-clash.html

Think he should be getting a nice long sideline ban for that little temper tantrum.

That article was some rush job, counted at least 3 grammar mistakes in it. :rolleyes:

Look AVB doesnt like us, why should, he we screwed him really but its time to move on and let it go, I know hes trying to spin it by saying he doesnt care what player or club is invovled but thats not true.

We're still awaiting the news on his scan so he could miss a few matches anyway.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Courtois is just about in the driving seat for the starting berth for Belgium imo, but Mignolet is pretty strong cover to have, and it will force both of them to keep performing as they have done for the past two seasons as any slip up lets the other in.

I think Mignolet still has a few more caps then Courtois at this stage but both are young and Belgium are very lucky to have such quality available to them.

If Courtois can shine in the UCL then he'll help his chances no end, I think if Atletico can get out of the group and get a favourable fraw they couild go to the QF's of the UCL at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The FA should fine him for the craic (AVB that is)

I think Mignolet still has a few more caps then Courtois at this stage but both are young and Belgium are very lucky to have such quality available to them.

If Courtois can shine in the UCL then he'll help his chances no end, I think if Atletico can get out of the group and get a favourable fraw they couild go to the QF's of the UCL at least.

Casteels at Hoffenheim could be knocking on the door after the world cup, and the likes of Kaminski, Moris, Dhoest, and Faidherbe have all been popping up on the European young players to watch lists. They always seem to be able to produce good keepers even in times when the rest of the team were not so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Panthro wrote: »
    The FA should fine him for the craic (AVB that is)

Yeah mighty craic alright :rolleyes:

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Yeah mighty craic alright :rolleyes:

yup!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Phoenix wrote: »
    anyone watching the other champions league matches tonite?

I yeah it's city and the other Manchester club up tonight

anyone watching the other champions league matches tonite?

It is so long since either Manchester team won anything in Europe not sure they are worthy, might watch Bayern 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Torres out for up to a month with a medial collateral ligament injury. Looking really light up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Chelsea Football Club can confirm Fernando Torres suffered a medial collateral ligament injury to his left knee in the Champions League group game at Steaua Bucharest on Tuesday evening.

The 29-year-old will be out for approximately three weeks.

• Advertisement

Oh balls.
    Surely Ba simply has to seize his opportunity now to make some sort of impression on a starting place in the first team.
    Hope to see Torres back sooner rather than later, great to see him play with a bit of bite in his game again. And having Mata back in the fold compliments Torres no end IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

It is so long since either Manchester team won anything in Europe not sure they are worthy, might watch Bayern 😜

We'll City are getting there asses handed to them by Munich and United look less than comfortable too.

Earlier i said Hart was better then Courtois, marginally. I take it all back. the guy is typical English hype, good keeper none the less but christ every 3,4 games he'll be the fault for goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Oh balls.
    Surely Ba simply has to seize his opportunity now to make some sort of impression on a starting place in the first team.
    Hope to see Torres back sooner rather than later, great to see him play with a bit of bite in his game again. And having Mata back in the fold compliments Torres no end IMO.

Shirley up front? Shirley you can't be serious

duploelabs wrote: »
    Shirley up front? Shirley you can't be serious

I'd consider Mikel ahead of him to be honest!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

FSvVg5v.gif

Anybody see this? :pac:

City losing 3-1 to Bayern at home when we were very unlucky not to beat them after E.T. in the Super Cup, if we can put in consistent displays akin to that we'll be in for a good season.

What a totally muck article. It is funny Chelsea used to get criticised because of "player power" how JT and Fat Frank (God I wish I was as fat as him) ran the side. Now we have a manager who is obviously in total control. Mata & Luiz will become better players under him - neither have complained about losing their place they did what I suspect TSHO knew what they would do. They put the head down and worked, Luiz did not put a foot out of place on Tuesday quite clearly TSHO see's him as a centre back.

It is interesting that rather than throwing toys out of the pram KdB tweeted his support of the team and a photo of him at home watching the game. He is a young lad I really hope he see's that his game will only get better if he keeps the faith - and there is nothing to suggest he won't.

We have our old Chelsea back which is great. People can continue hating us and preaching how TSHO should be burned at the stake for having an opinion, being totally focused on his goal and being successful. You just have to love TSHO if you are a Chelsea fan it is so clear the club runs in his heart.

A striker and a new CB and I am absolutely certain we will be playing lovely football - but we will be pretty good with what we have once the team has blended.

• Advertisement

City losing 3-1 to Bayern at home when we were very unlucky not to beat them after E.T. in the Super Cup, if we can put in consistent displays akin to that we'll be in for a good season.

Thats the thing Gav this is a new side in many ways new manager, Willian, Shirley, Schwarzer, Eto'o, Essian, KbD, MvG, Kalas new or back this season. Hazard and Oscar only in their second season and Ba less than a season.

And of course a new manager (well after the latter part of last season an actual manager).

How much would a Cavani type improved us this year? :(

As soon as PSG were interested ourselves and City were never really going to compete, they've just as much money in the allure of a great city like Paris.

Anyway, agreed on the CB point but maybe blood in a young guy, Ake, Christansen or someone like that would be great for us.

Not sure where we go from here on a CF, Rooney was the only viable option during the summer and until he signs a new contract at Utd he'll be linked with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Bayern didn't use a recognised CF last night...........Just press the ball high up the field and then al outfield players are potential forwards

Techless wrote: »
    Bayern didn't use a recognised CF last night...........Just press the ball high up the field and then al outfield players are potential forwards

Ala Barcelona to a degree.

They're odd ons to become the first team to retain the UCL anyway in my eyes.

Thats the thing Gav this is a new side in many ways new manager, Willian, Shirley, Schwarzer, Eto'o, Essian, KbD, MvG, Kalas new or back this season. Hazard and Oscar only in their second season and Ba less than a season.

And of course a new manager (well after the latter part of last season an actual manager).

We've also got a few more to come abck next season.

We're blessed with talent and I hope we can keep them all happy and at Chelsea.

What do we reckon this weekend?

A win before the international break would be excellent, also Torres out for 3 weeks means he'll probably have a part to play in the City game on the 27th I think.

Norwich will be n pushovers but its up to us to go and want to win and put in the display to ensure it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Would like to see DeBruyne get a chance to prove himself.
    IMO, he was no worse than anyone else against Swindon, unless his attitude in training is causing the problem.
    Pre season he looked excellent.

I think KdB will but would doubt it will be this weekend, we do need to get a win here so strongest team possible who cares about the internationals coming up.

Would like
    Petr, Ivan, JT, Luiz, Ash, Ram, Lamps, Mata, Haz, Oscar, Ba (Eto'o looks way too off the pace).

Think it might be

Petr, Ivan, JT, Luiz, Ash, Ram, Lamps, Mata, Shirley, Oscar, Eto'o

I'd say Schurrle might get a chance again, unless Hazard is 100% I dont think he'll be risked otherwise.

Agree on everything else though Grumpy.

Everybody gather around and bow to your new Category Mod.

:pac:

Everybody gather around and bow to your new Category Mod.

I for one welcome our new category moderator overlord.

One small question what the hell is that:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I for one welcome our new category moderator overlord.

One small question what the hell is that:)

Instead of being just a Soccer Mod I'm now a Moderator of the Sports Category and all that falls under it.

I'll still be modding here but any DRP's or Issues that come up in any of the Sports cateogry, barring Soccer, I'll be taking a look at.

In celebration of most glorious event....
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSN349GwuXexT4bLNecDyxqEoiEqlQZWFMdCwZYB_MnMvzeUygf

/Clink.

holy fcuk they upped Gav..
    We're all DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

hehe!

Jusat kidding big guy, congrats! Many a happy DRP to you and yours.:pac:

Whoever starts upfront this weekend has to score, none of our CFs have scored in the league yet.

Whoever starts upfront this weekend has to score, none of our CFs have scored in the league yet.

New record will be set...we will go an extraordinary amount of games without a CF scoring! :-D

AS long as we win games I'm not to bothered but it would be nice to have a CF that can score league goals.

No point having Torres/Eto'o/Ba scoring against League 1 sides or p*ss poor UCL sides we need it to be in the league.

if the 3 lads dont pick up form then 2 of them will be gone at least, Lukaku will be back and a new guy will be in the door.

Wonder will Piazon ever get a look in.
    Next season, Lukaku and Torres sounds pretty good up front, provided Torres continues to show a bit of bite in his game.

Getting Cavani would have solved some many problems but after what I can assume will be another good season, surely Lukaku deserves a chance next year?

It all depends on what Jose wants, if anyoneisnt doing the business come January then I reckon we'll go to the market, maybe lose Ba.

which is weird, Jose didnt want to loan him to a rival yet he wont play him. :confused:

I'm not a Ba fan at all but Eto'o doesnt look like hes upto much so its fairly close as to who will start up front against Norwich IMO.

Wonder will Piazon ever get a look in.
    Next season, Lukaku and Torres sounds pretty good up front, provided Torres continues to show a bit of bite in his game.

Certainly was a peach he scored last week against NEC.

Big season for him this year, he didn't have much chance at Malaga last season. But if he does well I can see no reason why not, he looks a really good player to my eye.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement