Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I said he could have, I said Utd would win only the 1 trophy and was confident it would only be that one.

Theyve potentially 4 more to win but i'm liking the look of my little wager so far this season. :pac:

You are safe enough in the Champions League anyway Gav - thats ours again this season :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

You are safe enough in the Champions League anyway Gav - thats ours again this season :p

What would ya rather, win an EPL title or win the UCL?

I'd imagine since we won the UCL people would want back the EPL now.

The lovely thing about winning the UCL is hearing "you know who we are, champions of Europe, you know who we are" rolling out at Old Trafford, White Hart Lame, The Emirates and Anfield.

I remember reading a blog by a Spurs season ticket holder who did not go to the game at Spurs last season as he did not want to hear Chelsea fans signing that song at Spurs.

But to be brutally honest whilst either would do would be nice to have the Premier league back again.

I reckon over 2 legs we can beat anyone in Europe and in a final anything can happen.

Jose coming back and winning the UCL in his 1st season would be a huge feat but we've to walk before we can run so I'd happily take the EPL this season as Carlos win is over 3 seasons ago now and we've been well off the pace in every season since Carlos got sacked.

wee may win a UCl under Jose but if he can bring back some domestic dominance and build from that I'd be delighted.

Bayern are head and shoulders above the rest of Europe an dwe ran them close, playing a large part of the game with only 10 men so I dont think we have anything to fear in Europe, if we get it right on the night we can beat anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'd take the UCL . You cant beat the drama and excitement of a knockout competition.
    I reckon over 2 legs we can beat anyone in Europe and in a final anything can happen.

Jose coming back and winning the UCL in his 1st season would be a huge feat but we've to walk before we can run so I'd happily take the EPL this season as Carlos win is over 3 seasons ago now and we've been well off the pace in every season since Carlos got sacked.

wee may win a UCl under Jose but if he can bring back some domestic dominance and build from that I'd be delighted.

Bayern are head and shoulders above the rest of Europe an dwe ran them close, playing a large part of the game with only 10 men so I dont think we have anything to fear in Europe, if we get it right on the night we can beat anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

UCL >> EPL >>>>>>> FA CUP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ****ty league cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

I thought monkey want a league cup so we get into Europe :)
    Looking good now pepple talking about winning the league instead of top 4 be good.
    Roll on a striker scoring in league for Chelsea but its bad waiting for Torres to come back for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Epl is on my wish list this year, you can't dispute who is the better side when you are counting all the points over the course of the season and although you can't really beat the cl for drama and atmosphere it's not always the best team that wins. the final we lost to United for example, we were without doubt the best team the culmination of 3 years hard work by Jose ( even tho he wasn't there ) and we're denied victory by the width of the post and then the miracle that was the majority of the knock out stages the year we won it bringing us on to the final in minich we had a determination all right but were we really the better team?

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Epl is on my wish list this year, you can't dispute who is the better side when you are counting all the points over the course of the season and although you can't really beat the cl for drama and atmosphere it's not always the best team that wins. the final we lost to United for example, we were without doubt the best team the culmination of 3 years hard work by Jose ( even tho he wasn't there ) and we're denied victory by the width of the post and then the miracle that was the majority of the knock out stages the year we won it bringing us on to the final in minich we had a determination all right but were we really the better team?

In that game we were 2nd best, but in a cup final that can happen and you can win, look at Wigan against City last year, Wimbeldon against Liverpool, the favourites dont always win or have it their own way.

I'd love another UCL, to be a multiple winner before our local rivals have one on the board would be great for gragging rights but right now we've a better chance in the EPL given how close it is between everyone, especially compared to the UCL where Bayern are the standout favourites right now and theres a few teams just below them, I think we're in that group but I'd be surprised if any English team got past the Quarter Final stage this year.

the_monkey wrote: »
    UCL >> EPL >>>>>>> FA CUP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ****ty league cup

In terms of value, I'd agree, but if want to say we're a top team we've to satrt winning a few more leagues considering what we've spent on players.

This year I'd take the EPL and FA Cup or League Cup with a deep run in the UCL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

League by far for me. Champions League is a bonus but the league is the main one. Would take winning the league and nothing else this season than winning all the cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Both have their merits but whichever one we don't win I'd like to see a strong in the other. It's been done several times by teams of our quality to concentrate our efforts on one or the other, for example when we won the UCL the other year our league position wasn't the best, conversely City's winning the EPL two years ago and I think they're nearly bottom of their UCL group. A sign of a great team is to win one but also come strongly in the other, or win both if we're really dreaming

Johner wrote: »
    League by far for me. Champions League is a bonus but the league is the main one. Would take winning the league and nothing else this season than winning all the cups.

If we can start with the league it would give us the perfect platform to build on.

Next year Jose will have had enough time to evaluate the squad too and keep who he wnats and sell whoever isnt good enough or fits his plan.

I cant see a Jose Mk 1 style buying of players but I reckon we'll see about 4 or 5 go and maybe 3 or 4 come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Detour

This season it would be great to see us win the Champions League. It's a trophy the manager hasn't won with us before, it would be a achievement in his first season back.

In saying that, no one will complain if we win the league. Realistically there is no reason at why we shouldn't at least challenge for both. If we avoid Bayern for as long as possible, why not?

We could win both, easily, we've a good enough squad to do it and if we can get a bit of luck we could do it.

The only problem I can see is scoring goals, none of our CF's look likely at EPl level and the K/O stages of the UCL is a step up in some respects to the teams we're playing week in week out in the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

In the next three years, two UCLs or two EPLs?

For me? UCLs.

It's a no brainer. The real prestige and appeal is on the international European stage. You can win a premiership or two, and still not get on the radar of really top players. The future of football is in the UCL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

McDave wrote: »
    In the next three years, two UCLs or two EPLs?

For me? UCLs.

It's a no brainer. The real prestige and appeal is on the international European stage. You can win a premiership or two, and still not get on the radar of really top players. The future of football is in the UCL.

Well this is true. But, we need to "be able" to score goals in the home league. We can't get over this at the moment imo.
    Its all lovely talking about winning CL's but unless we have domestic success and by success i mean winning the EPL outright, we won't have the winning mentality for winning another CL.
    We did run Byren very close - but there are other certain Spanish teams that could give us a real hard time at the moment.
    Far too early to be talking about CL when we haven't really proved ourselves convincingly in the domestic league yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

EPL by a country mile for me.
    UCL would be a bonus of course but meh, keep her lit in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

The way I see it is.. we have more of a chance of catching Liverpool and United with UCL titles than League titles

• Advertisement

The way I see it is.. we have more of a chance of catching Liverpool and United with UCL titles than League titles

It would take a Fergie spell of dominance to break Utd or Liverpools league title numbers, no doubt Jose could do it but we're so far behind at the moment it isnt really an option.

Also, the UCL is so difficult to win even catching Utds record of 3 would be difficult considering Fergie himself only won it twice but hes been to what, 4 finals?

I'd take the EPL and build on that, Chelsea will always attract the best players, we've the money and we've the location and now we've the manager.

Also we do have to start scoring more goals and it has to be from the CF's.

Relying on others wont work in the long term.

If this is true regarding Barca speaking to AM about Courtois when selling then Villa over the summer is that not illegal under UEFA & FIFA rules?

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/thibaut-courtois-wants-to-leave-chelsea-sign-for-barcelona-sport/?

He is contracted to Barca are just breaking the rules as they see fit, they should be banned from the transfer market for two or three years. But as Barca are the blue eyes boys and Chelsea the horrible English ogres of course nothing will happen. How long will they be allowed to cheat their way to the top?

If this is true regarding Barca speaking to AM about Courtois when selling then Villa over the summer is that not illegal under UEFA & FIFA rules?

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/thibaut-courtois-wants-to-leave-chelsea-sign-for-barcelona-sport/?

He is contracted to Barca are just breaking the rules as they see fit, they should be banned from the transfer market for two or three years. But as Barca are the blue eyes boys and Chelsea the horrible English ogres of course nothing will happen. How long will they be allowed to cheat their way to the top?

I cant imagine Jose wanting to lose the best young keeper in Europe to Barcelona.

Has that website any links to Barca or is just Barca fanboys? Every time Barca are in for a player, Luiz, Mata or Courtois the links seem to be from that site.

it could force Jose into playing Courtois next year if any o fthe rumours are true but yes, they coudlnt sell Villa and demand talks with Courtois considering hes contracted to us, if any of it is true, I'd be sure to complain but it would probably fall on deaf ears.

Courtois is contracted to 2016?

Perfect, 100Million and we'll sell.

I cant imagine Jose wanting to lose the best young keeper in Europe to Barcelona.

Has that website any links to Barca or is just Barca fanboys? Every time Barca are in for a player, Luiz, Mata or Courtois the links seem to be from that site.

it could force Jose into playing Courtois next year if any o fthe rumours are true but yes, they coudlnt sell Villa and demand talks with Courtois considering hes contracted to us, if any of it is true, I'd be sure to complain but it would probably fall on deaf ears.

Our trump card here is Jose I would say, Barca will know they will getting nothing easy from him. That does not stop them trying to unsettle players though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Our trump card here is Jose I would say, Barca will know they will getting nothing easy from him. That does not stop them trying to unsettle players though

the jose factor will help but he can only do so much. reckon a big decision will need to be made next summer as Courtois wont sit on the bench for Cech and vice versa.

Jose's biggest problem is identifying a striking target and the attacking mids to play behind them.

Baffles me why he let Lukaku go on loan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

slingerz wrote: »
    the jose factor will help but he can only do so much. reckon a big decision will need to be made next summer as Courtois wont sit on the bench for Cech and vice versa.

Jose's biggest problem is identifying a striking target and the attacking mids to play behind them.

Lukaku, should be leading our line next year.

If he continues his Everton form then he'll be a great bet to be strating next year as Ba, Torres and Eto'o dont look like holding down a place between them at the moment.

Torres is the most likely, followed by Ba then Eto'o who is gone next year anyway.

slingerz wrote: »

Sorry not really what I meant, more Jose's apparent dislike of Barca should at least mean where ever he ends up it wont be there. I think it will force the hand to play him at the Bridge myself.

A pairing of Cech and Courtois would be immense, best goalkeeping options anywhere around if it does happen.

Next year will be a huge year for transfers, we've Lukaku, Moses, Marin, Romeu, Atsu, Josh Mac & Courtois all to come back from loan, although only Courtois and Lukaku would be a certainity to make the team. I'd say Romeu, Marin and Moses will be sold.

Its also a big year for De Bruyne, depending on how the rest of the season goes, he could see his future elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm hoping to take my old man to the Southampton game in December. He's part of the supporters club down here but I don't want to ask them to get tickets because I want it to be a surprise. If I become a True Blue member, does the priority booking period usually mean that I'm guaranteed tickets to the game?

Package prices through the likes of Thomas Cook and Marathon are a bit pricey, but I suppose if worse comes to worst, I can always roll it into a Birthday AND Christmas present for him!

• Advertisement

I hate international week.

We've a big double header in the UCL against Schalke so 4 points would be very good return from them 2 games, ideally we'd claim 6 but I'd be delighted with 4.

AdMMM wrote: »
    I'm hoping to take my old man to the Southampton game in December. He's part of the supporters club down here but I don't want to ask them to get tickets because I want it to be a surprise. If I become a True Blue member, does the priority booking period usually mean that I'm guaranteed tickets to the game?

Package prices through the likes of Thomas Cook and Marathon are a bit pricey, but I suppose if worse comes to worst, I can always roll it into a Birthday AND Christmas present for him!

Hi,

If you do become a true blue, 25stg, you can only book one ticket per membership, just soemthing to note.

The tickets go out for Season Ticket holders 1st then Members, then Season Ticket and Members can buy 1 extra and then they go to general sale.

Only the Villa mid week game went to general sale so far this season so I'd recommend sending him to a game that doesnt involve Utd/City/Arsenal/Liverpool/West Ham and you should get tickets in the members sale no problem.

Edit : Keep an eye on this link, its the ticket news section of the Chelsea website, gives ya details of when the tickets are on sale and the such.

http://www.chelseafc.com/tickets

I hate international week.

We've a big double header in the UCL against Schalke so 4 points would be very good return from them 2 games, ideally we'd claim 6 but I'd be delighted with 4.

International week is a bummer I see KdB has been taken to hospital I hope we do not suffer any further injuries and his is only slight

I think we could manage 6 points giants Schalke they are not in the same bracket as Dortmund or Bayern.

International week is a bummer I see KdB has been taken to hospital I hope we do not suffer any further injuries and his is only slight

I think we could manage 6 points giants Schalke they are not in the same bracket as Dortmund or Bayern.

If we do manage to get 6 points we'd leap frog Schalke to top of the table.

Basel have a double header against steaua so you'd expect them to get 6 points so with 2 games left it could be.

Chelsea 9pts, games left, Basel A, Steaua H,
    Basel 9pts, games left, Chelsea H, Schalke A
    Schalke 6pts, games left, Steaua A,Basel H,

Whoever threw this together overlooked a certain young Brazilian.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2449402/PREMIER-LEAGUE-PROGRESS-REPORT-Arsenal-sit-does-club-rate.html
    A rather poor article.

Ramires best player and Torres "must improve"

LOLtastic.

For me its Oscar as best player and theres no competition what so ever.

Must improved - Hazard, the guy has the quality but hes not done it yet this sesaon, not consistently enough, he was very good against Bayern but needs to do it week in week out.

Panthro wrote: »
    Whoever threw this together overlooked a certain young Brazilian.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2449402/PREMIER-LEAGUE-PROGRESS-REPORT-Arsenal-sit-does-club-rate.html
    A rather poor article.

Indeed typical dross from the Daily Fail.

Oscar has been head and shoulders above everyone this season how did they manage to miss that?

And in fairness to Torres he is at last putting in a shift, Eto'o on the other hand

If we do manage to get 6 points we'd leap frog Schalke to top of the table.

Basel have a double header against steaua so you'd expect them to get 6 points so with 2 games left it could be.

Chelsea 9pts, games left, Basel A, Steaua H,
    Basel 9pts, games left, Chelsea H, Schalke A
    Schalke 6pts, games left, Steaua A,Basel H,

We totally cocked it up against Basel, but I think that gave TSHO something to work with. I actually dont see us dropping any more points in this group and therefore finishing top.

Once we pick up 8-9 points from the next 4 games we'll go through.

You'd expect 6 of those to come in the home games once we dont make a balls of it, so win one fo teh away games or draw both and we should be quids in.

Topping the group would be brilliant but really there'll be no easy games in the k/o stages of the UCL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Christmas Telly Box/Pub viewing......:D

Arsenal (A) Mon 23rd December @ 8pm.

Liverpool (H) Sunday 29th December @ 4pm.

Southampton (A) Wednesday 1st January @ 3pm. (BT Sports)

• Advertisement

RichT wrote: »
    Christmas Telly Box/Pub viewing......:D

Arsenal (A) Mon 23rd December @ 8pm.

Liverpool (H) Sunday 29th December @ 4pm.

Southampton (A) Wednesday 1st January @ 3pm. (BT Sports)

I'd love to go to the Liverpool game actually.

Lukaku : I'll score more for Everton then the Chelsea strikers.
    "The coach decides and as a player you have to respect that. I chose to leave and it's up to me to prove the coach wrong.

"The only thing I can do is play well and score a lot. And then I think people will say that I'm a good player. I want to score more goals than the strikers of Chelsea. We will see at the end of the season who made the best choice."

Fighting talk from the big Belgian whos well in the lead in the scoring charts compared to our own players.

I know Jose said its different scoring for Everton and doing it for Chelsea week in week out but hes scored against the best teams in England last year and this year while in the same period Ba & Torres and now Eto'o have yet to do it really.

Jose should have let Ba go to Arsenal, keeping Lukaku would have been better but I suppose for the young lad at least hes getting games and more importantly goals.

FA Chairman calls for tougher actions after the Torres incident.
    Football Association chairman Greg Dyke believes Chelsea striker Fernando Torres should have been heavily punished for lashing out at Jan Vertonghen.

"When millions of fans watching on TV can see an incident like this and the FA does not take action it is understandably baffling to everybody and has to be addressed," Dyke said at the Leaders in Football conference.

"For the FA's disciplinary department to find itself in a position where it is not able to take action against an obvious scratch just can't be right.

"What this means is, despite the rules being changed in the summer, they clearly weren't changed enough.

"As FA chairman I don't like to be in a position where I cannot explain the rules when action should be taken when something is pretty obvious."

Lukaku : I'll score more for Everton then the Chelsea strikers.

Fighting talk from the big Belgian whos well in the lead in the scoring charts compared to our own players.

I know Jose said its different scoring for Everton and doing it for Chelsea week in week out but hes scored against the best teams in England last year and this year while in the same period Ba & Torres and now Eto'o have yet to do it really.

Jose should have let Ba go to Arsenal, keeping Lukaku would have been better but I suppose for the young lad at least hes getting games and more importantly goals.

Should have gone with Ba, Torres and Nando maybe in time we will but I cannot see what Eto'o is bringing to the table.

Should have gone with Ba, Torres and Nando maybe in time we will but I cannot see what Eto'o is bringing to the table.

Ya, after the 1st Rooney bid was rejected and Jose said it was Rooney or bust, it really should have been bust.

At the moment Eto'o is like a poor Torres from months ago, offering nothing of note to the game, missing chances, running into players, at least Torres is now putting it about and creating and has chipped in with 2 goals at least, a poor return but hes the only CF of 3 to score is fairly pathetic considering the wealth of talent behind them.

While our Belgian battering ram is off scoring for Everton at the moment.

I see the Little Pea has hinted at a United exit.
    Eto'o..out!:D

Hes to good to be on the bench so I'd say he'll on leave for 1st team football and I'm not sure we can guarntee him that with Lukaku to come back also.

Good player that and don't blame him for being frustrated. Wonder if ManU be interested in a swap Ba & Eto'o for Little Pea????? :rolleyes:

ST£15m for Ramires, I suppose paper does not refuse ink.

Couldn't see TSHO letting him go and if he did it would be for multiples of that.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_0_22257_-.html#.UlZbp9Lrz74

• Advertisement

And the non story of the day

http://www.london24.com/sport/chelsea/chelsea_wanted_laudrup_as_boss_before_they_got_mourinho_back_swansea_boss_reveals_1_2865377

Laudrup has great potential but if we did not have a plan B in the event TSHO did not come it would have been staggering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement