Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Paully D wrote: »
    Northumbria Police don't allow Sunderland and Newcastle to play at home on the same night. It's got to a stage now where if we ever drew them in the cup I think they'd try to get both teams to show up on different nights :pac:

I suspect TV scheduling is the reason Chelsea were made to play on Tuesday.
    The reason we had to play tuesday and not wednesday is spurs have the wednesday night slot for domestic cup games. they touched on in commentary and the metro police wouldnt allow both to play on the same night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Those rumours were always going to start again, sad thing is I fear there may be something in them. Mata cannot be happy with the situation as it stands, more so as he gets dropped after a poorish display against Spurs Schurrle was woeful against Schalke but keeps his place.

Those rumours were always going to start again, sad thing is I fear there may be something in them. Mata cannot be happy with the situation as it stands, more so as he gets dropped after a poorish display against Spurs Schurrle was woeful against Schalke but keeps his place.

Schurrles international displays really helped him with starting for us I reckon.

At the weekend only Oscar, barring injuries, is a 100% cert to start against Newcastle.

Willian and Mata will be pushing Schurrle and Hazard for a start, if Willian and Mata can put in the shift they did against Arsenal they could well be in contention, especially Mata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Schurrles international displays really helped him with starting for us I reckon.

At the weekend only Oscar, barring injuries, is a 100% cert to start against Newcastle.

Willian and Mata will be pushing Schurrle and Hazard for a start, if Willian and Mata can put in the shift they did against Arsenal they could well be in contention, especially Mata.
    And Cech, Cole, and rambo?

duploelabs wrote: »
    And Cech, Cole, and rambo?

I should of said, of the AM's, only Oscar is nailed on to start.

I think we've 8 guys 100% to start

Cech
    Ivan ?? JT Cole
    Ramires Lamps
    ?? Oscar ??
    Torres

So a CB between Cahill and Luiz and the wide players between 4 mentioned, Schurrle, Hazard, Willian & Mata.

I'd like to see Mikel play but on the evidence of last nights game with City, Newcastle were happy to sit in and dig deep, Lamps in cM would suit our play a bit better then Mikel, if Jose wanted to really go for it from the start he'd throw Luiz alongside Ramires as he'll be a better option again to move it quickly and direct a game from CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

great news

TRAORE CONTRACT AGREED

Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce an agreement to sign Bertrand Traore.

The 18-year-old has agreed a four-and-a-half year contract.

Traore, joining from Association Jeunes Espoirs De Bobo-Dioulasso, is a full international for Burkina Faso having made his debut in September 2011 a few days before his 16th birthday, and he made one substitute appearance at the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations. He has 10 international caps and has scored once ahead of next month's World Cup qualification play-offs in Africa in which Burkina Faso face Algeria.

In 2011 he helped his nation win the Africa Under-17s championship.

An attacking midfielder, Traore was taken as a trialist on Chelsea's tour of Asia in the summer and played a part in all three games, scoring in Malaysia and in Indonesia.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3518290/title/traore-contract-agreed

Good news seems like a good prospect too, but the youth coming through have to be out of this world good to make a Chelsea squad considering some of the talent in the 1st team squad and age they are.

Wallace at Inter has only made 2 sub appearances for them.

Must be really frustrating for him, pity as we were never going to get a work permit for him but sending him on loan with little chance of game time is kind of counter productive.

• Advertisement

Chelsea are like little Brazil at the moment, 4 players included in the Brazil squad, more then any other team.

Willia, Oscar, Ramires, Luiz.

Squad in full is
    GK : Cesar, Victor
    DF : T.Silva, Dante, Luiz, Marquinhos, Laterals, D.Alves, Maicon, Marcelo, Maxwell
    MF : Paulinho, Leiva, Oscar, Ramires, L.Gustavo, Hernanes
    FW : Willian, Robinho, Bernard, Hulk, Neymar Jr.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

peteeeed wrote: »
    great news

TRAORE CONTRACT AGREED

Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce an agreement to sign Bertrand Traore.

The 18-year-old has agreed a four-and-a-half year contract.

Traore, joining from Association Jeunes Espoirs De Bobo-Dioulasso, is a full international for Burkina Faso having made his debut in September 2011 a few days before his 16th birthday, and he made one substitute appearance at the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations. He has 10 international caps and has scored once ahead of next month's World Cup qualification play-offs in Africa in which Burkina Faso face Algeria.

In 2011 he helped his nation win the Africa Under-17s championship.

An attacking midfielder, Traore was taken as a trialist on Chelsea's tour of Asia in the summer and played a part in all three games, scoring in Malaysia and in Indonesia.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3518290/title/traore-contract-agreed

That is good news he looked mustard on the pre season tour, unleash him against the Saints or Sunderland
    Wallace at Inter has only made 2 sub appearances for them.

Must be really frustrating for him, pity as we were never going to get a work permit for him but sending him on loan with little chance of game time is kind of counter productive.

That really is a waste for Wallace, may as well have let him off to Vitesse Chelsea where he would have got games.

Ya the Serie A move could have been a waste of a year, much like Lukaku's 1st year in our reserves, sometimes a step or two down is better then not playing any competitive football.

16 goals in the league, this is our goal scorer list.

Oscar 4, Hazard 3, Eto'o 1, Ivanovic 1, Lampard 1, Mikel 1, Schürrle 1, Terry 1, Torres 1, Willian 1, own goal 1

jose's early press conference

Mourinho confirms there are no fresh injury doubts, and everyone bar Marco van Ginkel is fit to play tomorrow

'It's not easy for me to leave players at home and on the bench because everybody deserves to play.'
    I'm unfair with the players I am not selecting because they are doing everything to play. It's a difficult feeling for me.'
    Jose says he has done nothing special to help Fernando Torres recently and that the most important thing is that he keeps working hard
    'All of my players have a collective soul at the moment. That's the most important thing.'
    Mourinho says you need the players to be open to the right mentality to succeed, and that is what they are doing at the moment

'Bertrand Traore is a great talent with a bright future.'
    'We have one of the most difficult matches of the whole season at St James' Park but we want to try and keep winning.'

all from the chelsea FC twitter

jose's early press conference

Mourinho confirms there are no fresh injury doubts, and everyone bar Marco van Ginkel is fit to play tomorrow

'It's not easy for me to leave players at home and on the bench because everybody deserves to play.'
    I'm unfair with the players I am not selecting because they are doing everything to play. It's a difficult feeling for me.'
    Jose says he has done nothing special to help Fernando Torres recently and that the most important thing is that he keeps working hard
    'All of my players have a collective soul at the moment. That's the most important thing.'
    Mourinho says you need the players to be open to the right mentality to succeed, and that is what they are doing at the moment

'Bertrand Traore is a great talent with a bright future.'
    'We have one of the most difficult matches of the whole season at St James' Park but we want to try and keep winning.'

all from the chelsea FC twitter

We havent lost in 9 games and we've won the last 6 in a row, hopefully we can make it 7 in a row up north tomorrow.

It'll be a tricky fixture but hopefully we're on our game and we should take the points home.

• Advertisement

That is good news he looked mustard on the pre season tour, unleash him against the Saints or Sunderland

That really is a waste for Wallace, may as well have let him off to Vitesse Chelsea where he would have got games.

jose said today

Traore is a great talent that the club followed for a long time before me,' noted Mourinho.

'I wanted to take him to pre-season to have a view of him for two or three weeks and play him in front of 60,000 to 80,000 crowds like we have in Asia.

'Now we could get him. We have to wait for other things, a work permit is coming in January, but we have a kid who in our opinion is one of the best talents of his age.

'He made an impact in pre-season against nice opposition, and he played for his country since 16 and African national teams are good teams, especially Burkina Faso who have some talented players. So it looks like mentally he is very stable and he comes from a family of footballers so it is his natural habitat. I think he is ready to make an impact.'

Looking good for Traore so.

His international caps will certainly help any work permit to come through.

Looking good for Traore so.

His international caps will certainly help any work permit to come through.
    i wonder will he head out on loan in january although the vitesse link may be coming to an end with roman's friend looking to sell his share

i wonder will he head out on loan in january although the vitesse link may be coming to an end with roman's friend looking to sell his share

I'm sure he'll end up somewhere alright as long as we sort out the work permit issue.

Vitesse has been a good resource to send some fo the youngsters on loan alright although I dont think its improved the vast majority of them TBH.

• Advertisement

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/10/31/4373533/sturridge-chelsea-never-gave-me-a-chance

While I agree he didnt get a chance, he may also be forgetting why he didnt get a chance at CF for us.

Drogba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Personally thought Sturridge was greedy and wasteful at Chelsea, heart didn't always look in it, not that bothered he has gone and even with his good start at Liverpool, still not convinced by him. Lukaku on the other hand looks less technically gifted than Sturridge but a much bigger threat imho and hope he gets the start next season.

Personally thought Sturridge was greedy and wasteful at Chelsea, heart didn't always look in it, not that bothered he has gone and even with his good start at Liverpool, still not convinced by him. Lukaku on the other hand looks less technically gifted than Sturridge but a much bigger threat imho and hope he gets the start next season.

Sturridge is the kind of guy, while at Chelsea, who would beat 3 guys and shot wide instead of lay it up for a tap in, hes also the kind of guy who would have 1 shot on target in 90minutes and a goal and do nothing else.

Hes done very well at Liverpool and fair play to him, hes found his Bolton form where he was scoring reguarly.

I would rather Lukaku but they're different prospects and threats for teams, now if we can hold onto Lukaku and give him game time I'll be happy.

I'm just a little miffed at his we gave him no chance through the middle, he played through the middle for us but he wasnt the best but when he was playing wide right or left it was because Drogba was through the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I don't know why but sturridge is a player I never took to, his talent is there for all to see in fairness but I wasn't upset at selling him and don't regret it either. For all his talent I don't recall a single game for us where I was overly impressed by him although we could probably put his greed down to trying to hard to impress the notoriously difficult to impress when it comes to youths anyway hierarchy at the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Sturridge is the kind of guy, while at Chelsea, who would beat 3 guys and shot wide instead of lay it up for a tap in, hes also the kind of guy who would have 1 shot on target in 90minutes and a goal and do nothing else.

Hes done very well at Liverpool and fair play to him, hes found his Bolton form where he was scoring reguarly.

I would rather Lukaku but they're different prospects and threats for teams, now if we can hold onto Lukaku and give him game time I'll be happy.

I'm just a little miffed at his we gave him no chance through the middle, he played through the middle for us but he wasnt the best but when he was playing wide right or left it was because Drogba was through the middle.

I think you could nearly liken this to the Torres conundrum. Much like Torres, Sturridge is at his best when he receives early delivery, playing against an opposition where there is space in behind. At Liverpool the delivery is typically quite quicker than that of Chelsea's rather more deliberate build up and also, without meaning to offend Liverpool fans, teams simply don't sit as deep against them as they do against Chelsea. The difference in Torres and Drogba was not only the difference of two different players but also represented the two opposing ideal centre forwards of both clubs. Drogba, the all round great striker, who could occupy two centre backs single-handedly, play with his back to goal as well as any striker of his generation, was not only a great goal scorer but was a great focal point for the team. Torres, playing off the shoulder of the last defender, the perfect striker to lead a counter attack and run the channels. It's not too surprising that Torres seems to producing more for Mourinho than he has any other previous Chelsea manager, likely because of the importance Mourinho places on those lightning quick counter-attacks, a willingness to be more direct in possession and for the interplay between the forward players to be quicker and more incisive, all of which suits Torres.

That's a tangent but what I am saying is that Sturridge never succeeded through the centre at Chelsea because he is not the kind of striker that generally tended to succeed at Chelsea in the last decade, in terms of style of play he is far more similar to Torres than Drogba thus it is not a big surprise that his Liverpool career is proving more successful than his Chelsea career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

That's a tangent but what I am saying is that Sturridge never succeeded through the centre at Chelsea because he is not the kind of striker that generally tended to succeed at Chelsea in the last decade, in terms of style of play he is far more similar to Torres than Drogba thus it is not a big surprise that his Liverpool career is proving more successful than his Chelsea career.
    It's probably also worth bearing in mind that, despite the twin attack characterisation, Suarez is the main man up front at Liverpool. Would Rodgers trust Sturridge as his principle striker? I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

McDave wrote: »
    It's probably also worth bearing in mind that, despite the twin attack characterisation, Suarez is the main man up front at Liverpool. Would Rodgers trust Sturridge as his principle striker? I doubt it.

eh yeah he would. Did you miss the start of the season when Suarez was suspended?

Someone start a match thread. We could be top of the league in a few hours :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

McDave wrote: »

Like he trusted him as his principle striker in the first 5 league games this season and last four league games last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

justshane wrote: »
    eh yeah he would. Did you miss the start of the season when Suarez was suspended?

Who would be 3rd choice at Liverpool out of interest? I'm presuming Moses could get a nod but I can't think who else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Bye bye league
    Knew we would screw up today after the big win last week
    Knew it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

the_monkey wrote: »
    Bye bye league
    Knew we would screw up today after the big win last week
    Knew it

Haha calm down mate its not a disaster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Jose's bogey ground strikes again! Not an overly shocking result, but the manner is which we played was shocking. Have to question the managers tactics and subs in this one I'm afraid!

Win the next game now is very important.

Schalke at home in the UCL, up until playing Arsenal away in December 23rd we've plenty of winnable games home and away so its how we respond is the main thing.

We're still well in the league TBH and the way the league is going theres plenty of points to win and lose between now and May.

5 pts of top now , that's the point of no getting back
    I know of the past teams that did , and by far mathematically easy - but this is chelsea , they are leaders not chasers .

And the biggest joke is Arsenal are now favourites to win the league

Win the next game now is very important.

Schalke at home in the UCL, up until playing Arsenal away in December 23rd we've plenty of winnable games home and away so its how we respond is the main thing.

We're still well in the league TBH and the way the league is going theres plenty of points to win and lose between now and May.

Dream on , what's The next league game ?

Jose's bogey ground strikes again! Not an overly shocking result, but the manner is which we played was shocking. Have to question the managers tactics and subs in this one I'm afraid!

Yup, but you could see towards the end of the 1st half we were going nowhere.

Only JT was playing well.

Luiz, Mata, Hazard, Lamps, Torres could all be axed for the Schalke game, they were all sh*te, especially Lamps, he was beyond useless,

Dream on , what's The next league game ?

Home to West Brom :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I know of the past teams that did , and by far mathematically easy - but this is chelsea , they are leaders not chasers .

2 pts off the top? Can you read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Three points at least, possibly 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Are you messing or what? Arsenal are a far cry from favourites for the league and Chelsea still have a fine chance of winning the title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

mike65 wrote: »
    Three points at least, possibly 5.

You dont get points for losing so 2 points at least? ???

Arsenal or pool will win later so it's 5

Arsenal or pool will win later so it's 5

Sorry if pool win it's 3
    Ok but arsenal will win so it's 5
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Just think Mata Hazard and Oscar in the team makes us too uneven at the moment. Would be surprised to see them play again together.
    Feel bad for Mata as he does not play the best out wide.
    Still think the league can be got as only 5 points at the most behond the leaders and loads of games left.

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Just think Mata Hazard and Oscar in the team makes us too uneven at the moment. Would be surprised to see them play again together.
    Feel bad for Mata as he does not play the best out wide.
    Still think the league can be got as only 5 points at the most behond the leaders and loads of games left.

We've only played 10 games lads and we still dont know our best XI at this stage.

Mata is wasted wide but so is Oscar and Oscar is Joses "number 10" so Mata will be axed everytime.

Lampard is lost when a team starts to play football around him and with high intensity, he was like carrying a passenger and in game like todays he wasnt needed.

I said we needed a Drogba/Lukaku style CF today and he could have been a difference, nothing stuck to Torres, same with Eto'o but lets be honest our build up play was woeful and Hazard was wasteful with 1 or 2 decent opportunities.

Plenty to play for, a draw today in the Arsenal v Pool game would be the right job for us, at the moment we're leaving City and Utd get back into it and catch us up.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

Luiz is a liability at centre back, getting sick of his mistakes at this stage. Start him in midfield or drop him, Cahill and Terry are a much better pairing!

Luiz is a liability at centre back, getting sick of his mistakes at this stage. Start him in midfield or drop him, Cahill and Terry are a much better pairing!

I dont think he was at fault for any of the goals today really.

City and Utd coasting to 3 points as it stands.

As it stands, City are 1 point us and Utd 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

justshane wrote: »
    Do pay attention. Rodgers had *no option* but to play Sturridge. Now that he's back, it's clear Suarez is the better striker.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement