Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

amiable wrote: »
    Like he trusted him as his principle striker in the first 5 league games this season and last four league games last season?
    Because he had no choice.

Sturridge is a fine striker. But is he the main man? Chelsea reckoned he couldn't be for them. At Liverpool, he's a good partner, but definitely the lesser of the two. But if you think he can be your principle striker, well bully for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I dont think he was at fault for any of the goals today really.

He nearly let Shola Ameobi in on goal which is a sackable offence in my eyes. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That_Guy wrote: »
    He nearly let Shola Ameobi in on goal which is a sackable offence in my eyes. :pac:

Anyone else and we were in even more trouble :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

I see the rubbish talk is off again.... even if theres 5 points between us or any team and the 1st placed team at xmas never mind this week its not over. the league is not won this time of the year 5/6 points is fine. as iff the top teams wont lose and draw a few more...

fozz10 wrote: »
    I see the rubbish talk is off again.... even if theres 5 points between us or any team and the 1st placed team at xmas never mind this week its not over. the league is not won this time of the year 5/6 points is fine. as iff the top teams wont lose and draw a few more...

Thats the point, there is 28 games left in the season, 84 points up for grabs and plenty of teams will have games like that.

Arsenal look good at the moment against Liverpool that isnt to say they'll fall away.

We've beat City and Arsnal away back to back as well as Schalke so losing to Newcastle, more so in the manner of our performance, was the shocking part, we were so bad it wasnt even funny.

Arsenal going 5 points clear it looks and they're on top in the game as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Jose...OUT!:pac::pac:
    I think the substitutions were our biggest let down today, I'd have removed Lampard much earlier (Jose simply has to give him a game or two off at this stage I think. He would be more effective coming on for the last 30mins of a game when we've the goals scored and we just need the experienced heads to see out the game IMO)
    Torres and Mata should not have been taken off.
    Eto'o me hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

For the last 10 minutes was Ivan playing upfront?
    Chelsea need another formation I think depending on the opposite team as we are becoming too predictable.
    Lampard needs a rest even Mikel be better.
    Still in a good position and with Lukaku and Romeu coming back looking good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Arsenal Top

JOKE

5 pts is too much for Chelsea - anyway, league champions don't lose to dogshiit teams like Everton and Newcastle so we don't deserve it ..

at least Nadal lost today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

the_monkey wrote: »
    5 pts is too much for Chelsea - anyway, league champions don't lose to dogshiit teams like Everton and Newcastle so we don't deserve it ..

That is a childish post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Arsenal Top

JOKE

Man City lost to Cardiff, Arsenal to Villa, Tottenham to West Ham; I could go on, the bottom line is no one deserves to win the league based on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

Every so often a good kick up the behind is required to bring a team back down to earth,

Hopefully this is that kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

fozz10 wrote: »
    Maybe it's a bit previous to get too down at this stage. And it's still a team in transition.

But on the other hand, the premiership is getting more competitive in recent years with more teams coming into the frame. My worry is that we're not keeping up the pressure, particularly going into a supposedly less demanding part of the fixture list.

We can't afford to drop any more off the pace. Which is what will happen if we ship any more points in the next month. If we do we could easily find ourselves in familiar territory scrapping for a UCL slot, rather than challenging for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Arsenal Top

JOKE

Newcastle and Everton are hardly dog**** teams in fairness especially at home! I don't know about everyone else but I was hoping for a win but expecting a draw yesterday so a loss wasn't totally unexpected either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Arsenal Top

JOKE

This has to be the dumbest post ever on boards and im not a chelsea fan:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

sports direct are selling our home and 3rd kit for £16.99!!!! http://www.sportsdirect.com/av/av20

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Dont often post in here chaps, but I'd prefer to lose to a team like Newcastle than to one of our peers.

It was hard to take given how bad we played but nobody bar Arsenal is looking good so weve a few gears left in us,same applies to City and Utd, the league is so tight this year and everyone has at least lost once this season.

Its only the 1st weekend in November so chill and we'll see how we are in Jan/Feb.

Also in January or the Summer I dont want a panic buy CF, bring Lukaku back, play him and see how he does.

When he has the ball hes a terror but without it he has to do more which is the only reason I can see Jose shipping him out.

• Advertisement

Lukakus gone in and pole axed Lloris in similar style to Hunt vs Cech but with no intent really on Lukakus part amd Lloris seems ok aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Lukakus gone in and pole axed Lloris in similar style to Hunt vs Cech but with no intent really on Lukakus part amd Lloris seems ok aswell.

Huge credit to Lloris, absolutely determined to stay on the pitch and keep playing, I'm not hugely fond on Tottenham but you couldn't help but admire Lloris there.

Huge credit to Lloris, absolutely determined to stay on the pitch and keep playing, I'm not hugely fond on Tottenham but you couldn't help but admire Lloris there.

Hes a top quality g.k. he got to that the ball because his positioning was excellent and hes one of the quicker g.k.s in the league.

Just proved my point there with a good save from Delofeuo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

If he was out, which it looked like, the medical staff and management should have had the balls to tell him he was coming off for his health. Head injuries are the last thing you should take risks with. They looked amateurish.

Edit: Not worthy of new post but Spurs have clearly been shown to be in the wrong, and this idea that he was kept on the pitch because he said he was ok, or "looked ok" was ridiculous in this day and age. Haven't heard anyone come out and support their decision.

If he was out, which it looked like, the medical staff and management should have had the balls to tell him he was coming off for his health. Head injuries are the last thing you should take risks with. They looked amateurish.

He was being taken off but i assume he was ok to continue and they eouldnt have left him on if he wasnt 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

He was being taken off but i assume he was ok to continue and they eouldnt have left him on if he wasnt 100%.

I don't think the footage suggested they were the one making the decision, Lloris was.

• Advertisement

I don't think the footage suggested they were the one making the decision, Lloris was.

But if he was ok and responding theres no need to take him off. hes been ok the last 10mins anyway so it was the right decision. Booking was harsh it was an accidental coming together nothing more.

Started the weekend 2nd and we're still there. Very lucky to but hopefully we can wrap up 3points on wednesday night to look comfortable in the UCL.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

McDave wrote: »
    Because he had no choice.

Sturridge is a fine striker. But is he the main man? Chelsea reckoned he couldn't be for them. At Liverpool, he's a good partner, but definitely the lesser of the two. But if you think he can be your principle striker, well bully for you.

And he performed as the main striker very well so what does it matter?
    Sturridge is the lesser of the strike partnership at Liverpool. And the Sky is blue

Schalke are in trouble apparently.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelsea-vs-schalke-blues-face-2671359
    Hopefully a good game for Chelsea.

Good for us, not so for Schalke.

We still have to be professional and get the win and get back on track.

• Advertisement

According to some we'll be in for a striker in January, cant say I blame the club for looking TBH.

Big game Wednesday at home to Schalke followed by a run of league games against WBA (H) 3 West Ham (A) 3 S'Hampton (H) 3 Sunderland & Stoke (A) 6 C Palace (H) 3 Arsenal (A) 1 Swansea (H) 3 Liverpol (H) 1

That brings us up to the end of the year and I'd hope for 23 points from the 27 available which would be a good return.

Start by beating Schalke and win our next league game though, depending on Arsenals result in Dortmund they could be in a very tricky spot in the UCL and if they're out of that as well as winning the league they'll have a chancee to rest the big players in the Europa League should they drop into it.

Jose on Wednesday :
    “You have to know why you win and you don’t win by a miracle. You win by effort, by commitment, by ambition, by quality, by expressing yourself individually, but in the team context. I will not be making 11 changes on Wednesday because it will be too much, but I will be making a lot of changes for sure

Same article on Lampard and basically we hes not up to it anymore :
    Lampard was outplayed by Yohan Cabaye and Cheick Tiote and he was at fault for Newcastle’s first goal, misjudging the flight of Cabaye’s free-kick, leaving Yoan Gouffran unmarked to head home. Age has started to diminish his powers. He can still play at this level, but can no longer be relied upon to win games with the same regularity as he did the last time Mourinho was his manager

Any striker on the horizon?
    Anyone half decent will be UCL tied I'm guessing.
    Except...Anelka!:pac:

Panthro wrote: »

The best ones that arent cup tied would cost us 60million +

Suarez or Falcao are the stand outs and neither will be leaving in January.

Its frustrating to think that after 10 games our strikers have managed 2 goals between the 3 of them. :rolleyes:

By law of averages they'll net a dizzying tally of about 12 between in the league by the time its over.

Not good enough for a team trying to win the league when other teams have CF's that can drag them through games.

Lukaku isnt the answer to that but as a plan from the bench his directness is something we've missed since Drogba as he can spin off and go behind instead of all the build up play between the lines we try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Lets test the resolve of Lewandowski. If as is being reported he is not married to the Bayern concept yet then coming to us means a near guaranteed start for a very high profile side. Cant say that in Munich, Dortmund will sell but can we convince him?

As for Schalke a side in chaos winning 2-0 away in Berlin (speaking of which going to see them play Augsburg at the end of the month yay) yea right they are still a very decent team we need to take very seriously.

Lets test the resolve of Lewandowski. If as is being reported he is not married to the Bayern concept yet then coming to us means a near guaranteed start for a very high profile side. Cant say that in Munich, Dortmund will sell but can we convince him?

As for Schalke a side in chaos winning 2-0 away in Berlin (speaking of which going to see them play Augsburg at the end of the month yay) yea right they are still a very decent team we need to take very seriously.

If we go for Lewandoski in January it'll cost us nothing at all as hes over 24 and coming from a foreign country, we'd have the option of agreeing a contract in principal in January where as Bayern would ahve to wait until the end of his current deal before approaching him.

Although I reckon somebody from Bayern has already approached Lewandoski and its basically a waste of time anyone else going in for him as he'll just tirn them down for staying in Germany and joining Bayern.

If we go for Lewandoski in January it'll cost us nothing at all as hes over 24 and coming from a foreign country, we'd have the option of agreeing a contract in principal in January where as Bayern would ahve to wait until the end of his current deal before approaching him.

Although I reckon somebody from Bayern has already approached Lewandoski and its basically a waste of time anyone else going in for him as he'll just tirn them down for staying in Germany and joining Bayern.

Fee of €7m being quoted for him to join in January not end of season. Sometimes good business is making it difficult for your competitors and if racking up the asking price (salary) for Bayern then it will not be a total waste of time. There are quotes, apparently from him, saying he has not decided to join Bayern and the Premier league is an interesting option. By the same token there are also quotes saying he wants to join Bayern.

I really think we should offer him about €250,000 a week as the transfer fee is so small (in football terms at least) and raise the bar for Munich.

Fee of €7m being quoted for him to join in January not end of season. Sometimes good business is making it difficult for your competitors and if racking up the asking price (salary) for Bayern then it will not be a total waste of time. There are quotes, apparently from him, saying he has not decided to join Bayern and the Premier league is an interesting option. By the same token there are also quotes saying he wants to join Bayern.

I really think we should offer him about €250,000 a week as the transfer fee is so small (in football terms at least) and raise the bar for Munich.

If we did go for him I'd agree, we'd have to lump a huge wedge at him a week for his services, ya can imagine his agent will look for a huge fee and his signing on fee would be fairly eye watering too.

Its all down to the player really, if we go down the line of trying to buy in January I'd guess Dortmund would want more for him as they need him to make sure they get UCL next year, if they sell him for 7-10 million and lose out on UCL football they'll kick themselves as they could have kept him and gained UCL football in the process, but losing such a star and UCL football would be a loss financially for them.

Its certainly going to be a interesting January window for us.

I hope we just don't go panic buying a dud. The bench has two of them as it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

daily mirror reporting that patrick bamford going up to the championship in jan
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chelsea-transfer-news-patrick-bamford-2673414

• Advertisement

I hope we just don't go panic buying a dud. The bench has two of them as it is!

which two would that be?

I can think of at least 3 or 4 in the current squad that wont be here next season.

which two would that be?

I can think of at least 3 or 4 in the current squad that wont be here next season.

I was on about the two star strikers, Ba and Eto'o.
    I've giving Torres the benefit seem as he's the only one of the three I've seen that's actually putting a bit of effort in!

I was on about the two star strikers, Ba and Eto'o.
    I've giving Torres the benefit seem as he's the only one of the three I've seen that's actually putting a bit of effort in!

Oh ya, they'll be gone.

I would be fairly worried as well if I was Lamps and Cole, JT maybe in trouble too, there contracts are up this season and copmbined they're on about 300k a week. Think JT is 175k, Lamps, 150k and Cole 90k.

Thats a huge amount to be paying those guys.

We really have to replace all of them and curently the squad doesnt have options to do so.

Bertrand is a stop gap, isnt good enough to be a long term replacement, get in Shaw or Davies from Swansea I'd reckon.

MVG for Lamps, possibily
    JT has no "natural" succesor but Christensen or Kalas could fill a gap although Chalobah could also fall in CB if needs be.

I think JT has more milage left in him than Lamps to be honest.
    Time and again JT has been one of the top performers for Chelsea already this season.
    Lamps is way more of a passenger.

JT in fairness is doing very well this season (didn't see any of the barcodes game really) from a CB point of view I think Luiz is in bother perhaps more so as he should be reasonably easy to shift.

This is the problem with a young team they will have days like this but I think Lamps now needs a few weeks on the sidelines

Jt and Cole should get a year extra, but I'm afraid it's lamps last year as a player, would love to see him taken in under the coaching team

I think JT has more milage left in him than Lamps to be honest.
    Time and again JT has been one of the top performers for Chelsea already this season.
    Lamps is way more of a passenger.

I'd agree but I cant see Chelsea offering him such a deal once it comes to sitting down and talking pounds and pence.

If he got a 2 year deal at a good reduction, 30-40% I'd be for it anyway.
    duploelabs wrote: »
    Jt and Cole should get a year extra, but I'm afraid it's lamps last year as a player, would love to see him taken in under the coaching team

I thought Frank would head to the USA for a season or two but not sure he will with his 2 girls at home.
    JT in fairness is doing very well this season (didn't see any of the barcodes game really) from a CB point of view I think Luiz is in bother perhaps more so as he should be reasonably easy to shift.

This is the problem with a young team they will have days like this but I think Lamps now needs a few weeks on the sidelines

The problem with benching Lamps is we've a severe lack of CM talent for a club of this size, we complain about our CF's but CM is equally as weak or even more weak given we've Lukaku but hes on loan.
    MVG's injury was a disaster and apart from trying Luiz/Mikel in CM the only other options are De Bruyne or Oscar.

What about Bison?

duploelabs wrote: »
    What about Bison?

That was going through my mind as well question mark over the knees of course but was pure quality.

• Advertisement

I can't see Essien rolling back the years enough for him to be a first team starter on a regular basis tbh.
    A squad player at best, which is a real shame as he was some beast at his best. Maybe Jose will knock more milage out of him. Would love to see it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement