Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont think Essien could do it anywhere near the level we need him at a consistent basis.

I'd nearly go with Mikel and Ramires Wednesday night, Jose said he'll make a number of changes.

Stabbing at the team I'm going to say :

Cech
    Azp Cahill JT Cole
    Ramires Mikel
    Willian Oscar Schurrle
    Torres

Bench : Schwarzer, Luiz, Ivan, Lamps, Mata, Hazard, Ba

Ivan, Luiz, Mata, Lamps, Hazard and Eto'o to miss out.

Ivan - woeful going forward, provides a good option for set piece in both boxes but crossing, passing and general play is bad going forward, solid as f**k defending though but Azp might get the nod as hes a better footballing FB.

Luiz - While not at fault for any of the goals he gave away a few soft frees and is to rash, an extended period on the bench awaits.

Mata - Again, wasnt great after a good game against Arsenal, fatigue maybe a factor but he didnt play well and was snuffed out to easily against a team we should have beat.

Lamps - Passenger, might as well been in the stands as was his effect on the game.

Hazard - The better chances fell to him and he missed the target it completly on 2 occasions, one of those was at 1-0 when we were pushing in the last 10-15 mins and woulod ahve brought us back into it.

Eto'o - Missed a chance that fell to him twice in the box and blazed another over, I reckon Ba wil be on the bench instead of him on Wednesday.

SAying that it was the first game Jose got the subs and tactics wrong. After the 1st half it was crying out for some pace and direct play, Schurrle should have been on for Lamps and drop Oscar in a bit deeper as all the football was being played in the middl eof the aprk as Newcastle camped out, we gave them a chance and belief and they took it and exploited it.

It was a wake up call on the league, its just so frustrating to beat City and then go down so poorly to Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Possibly the only player fully safe from last weekend is Petr. At least one CB will be changed and agree it most likely will be Cahill for Luiz, but would not be super surprised if it is Petr, Dave, Ivan, JT, Ash. Midfield yea think Obi & Ram yea but would love Oscar & Ram. Attacking midfield Schurrle is a definite and if Obi plays then Oscar as well, who gets the last place I would say Willian as well. If he try's Oscar with Ram then Mata or KdB might get a chance of redemption. Up front Torres is perhaps the best of a poor lot but none inspire really.

So if THUO is really peeved then:

Petr, Dave, Ivan, JT, Ash, Oscar, Ram, Shurrle, KdB, Willian, Torres.

If conservative then:

Petr, Dave, Cahill, JT, Ash, Obi, Ram, Willian, Oscar, Schurrle, Torres.

Either way we must and should win the match.

Joses press conference is for 12.30 tomorrow, he'll probably give an insight into his team after a disappointing weekend where even a point would have pushed us away from Liverpool and the chasing pack and only lost 2 points to Arsenal.

Jose :

'I don't know my best team because we have this kind of performance. I know basically which is my best team but it depends on the way we perform because performances and results push you for decisions.'

It is our away form that is giving the manager most cause for thought at the moment because although the team slipped up in Europe at Stamford Bridge, no Barclays Premier League points have been dropped at home. It is a different case on the road.

'At home, five games, five victories and away, five matches, one victory, two defeats,' he lists. 'We can also say that we played away in very difficult stadiums. We played at Man United, Tottenham, Newcastle and Everton, we played in probably the most difficult places to go, but I have to analyse it by another perspective which is the perspective of why we don't do better, and why especially on Saturday because that was the worst.

Also seen this :
    'Against Everton we were really unlucky because we had a fantastic first half and in the second half we had a clear penalty for us and the referee didn't give it

Which incident was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Im an Arsenal fan but still bought some of the gear here for astro matches. Some nicely cheap Chelsea jerseys/shorts/socks!

http://www.sportsdirect.com/av/av20

• Advertisement

Im an Arsenal fan but still bought some of the gear here for astro matches. Some nicely cheap Chelsea jerseys/shorts/socks!

Get your own gear :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I already have courtesy of the "Online Jersey Store" thread :P

Aer Lingus seats on sale for travel from December - April if you book by November 17th.

Off to check the fixture list :pac:

Beating West Brom is huge this weekend, Utd are hosting Arsenal so we've a chance to catch Arsenal if they drop any points to Utd.

I'd love a thumping of West Brom but a win is a win, get over Wednesday and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

See my post a couple of pages ago, sheeze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

(shakes fist angrily at Ardennes) "Why you lil..!!":pac::pac:
    Pretty sweet prices in fairness, had I not recently been given the white jersey (delighted with it!) as a present I'd probably have bought a jersey at the price in the link. Be a shame not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Reports that Luiz, Hazard, Lampard and Ivan are gonna be dropped for Schalke. Happy enough with that, although I really love Ivan as a player and a man and he generally always gives his all Azpilcueta is just so much better going forward.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Reports that Luiz, Hazard, Lampard and Ivan are gonna be dropped for Schalke. Happy enough with that, although I really love Ivan as a player and a man and he generally always gives his all Azpilcueta is just so much better going forward.

Cant say I didnt see it coming if it does happen, think I said mata and Eto'o would also be gone from the team, I qouldnt be surprised.

Maybe Jose will give us some indication today at his 12.30 press conference.

Mirror reporting Torres will miss the game, opening the door for Eto'o, also suggests that Cole could be axed.

Its the kick in the arse the squad needed, lets hope the react in a positive manner.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelseas-ashley-cole-frank-lampard-2676785

Sad thing is the Basel game was supposed to be the kick in the arse the team needed. You can expect a bit of inconsistency from younger players but the old heads should have driven them on. Saving grace for ash may be his replacement, unless Dave replaces him which would be very much out of left field - pardon the pun............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Lukker- wrote: »

i thought hazard was out best player on saturday along with JT

The Capital One Cup fifth round game away against either Sunderland or Southampton will take place on Tuesday 17 December.

The match kicks off at 7.45pm and will be live on Sky Sports.

quotes from todays press conference

Mourinho: "I have had lots of time to reflect on Saturday's game, watch it again, but I don't change my opinion."

he wants his teams to be proactive and not reactive during games, and that is why Saturday's loss was disappointing.

Mourinho: "I don't want to see the changes I make tomorrow as though somebody is paying for the Newcastle loss. That's not the case."
    "I will make changes to get the best team to try and win the game tomorrow."

Fernando Torres is out of the game, while Bertrand picked up a knock in training today

Torres has a muscular injury and he is waiting on the results of a scan before knowing the full extent of the injury.

Samuel Eto'o and Demba Ba have a great opportunity to impress while Torres is out injured.

"Schalke have a very good record away from home, both in the Bundesliga and in European competitions."

"They are a very physical team. I don't know if they come here to win the game clearly or try to get a point."

Sad thing is the Basel game was supposed to be the kick in the arse the team needed. You can expect a bit of inconsistency from younger players but the old heads should have driven them on. Saving grace for ash may be his replacement, unless Dave replaces him which would be very much out of left field - pardon the pun............

Dave could play LB, shows us how much Jose rates Bertrand if it does happen.
    peteeeed wrote: »
    i thought hazard was out best player on saturday along with JT

He was typical Hazard, far to inconsitent, he has the ability to be our best player by a mile but he floats in and out of games to much and his end product at times can be erratic.

Jose and Hazard both said at the start of the season he needs to do more, hes added the defensivce side to his game but now he needs to score more, hes created the most chances in the EPL with 17 so far this season.

I think hes the best player in our squad when hes playing well but those days dont happen enough, he can beat 3 guys in the space of a few seconds and not be seen for minutes.
    peteeeed wrote: »
    The Capital One Cup fifth round game away against either Sunderland or Southampton will take place on Tuesday 17 December.

The match kicks off at 7.45pm and will be live on Sky Sports.

December is going to be a busy month, its Arsenal away after the Capital 1 cup game.

With no Torres, Bertrand and MVG out with a long term injury its going to be ahrd to predict tomorrows starting XI.

Will Cole continue at LB? Lamps in CM? Cahill for Luiz? Ba or Eto'o for Torres? Schurrle and Willian to start?

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    With no Torres, Bertrand and MVG out with a long term injury its going to be ahrd to predict tomorrows starting XI.

Will Cole continue at LB? Lamps in CM? Cahill for Luiz? Ba or Eto'o for Torres? Schurrle and Willian to start?
    eto , willian, schurrle, cahill will be in , mikel maybe

I reckon Mikel will too.

Cech
    ?? Cahill JT ??
    Mikel Ramires
    ?? Oscar ??
    Eto'o

We've arguably 4 FB's that could play, Kalas, Ivan, Azp & Cole but its between the latter 3 for the 2 spots.

On the flanks we're blessed with options and I'd agree, Willian and Schurrle may start although schurrle wasnt great against Schalke the last time out and exposed Azp at LB a few times by not tracking his man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Lionel Messi would have been playing for Chelsea this season if adidas had their way, according to reports in Spain.

Barcelona superstar Messi has a £210million buy-out clause in his Nou Camp contract but Mundo Deportivo say adidas were willing to pay half that to help Chelsea land him.

That would have effectively seen the German sporting heavyweight snap up one of big rival Nike’s prize assets.

Metro

That reads like the article that was doing the rounds that Nike wanted United (a nike team) to have Ronaldo back from Real (an Adidas team).

All aload of balls if you ask me, why would Messi a) leave Barca and b) join us and Jose?

Its all well and good meeting the buy out clause, wasnt it Anzhi that were meant to have met it last year and he turned them down, its grand meeting a buy out clause but if the guy doesnt wanna leave you're wasting your time.

Talking of gibberish articles here is another peach

http://astralfootball.com/real-madrid-looking-to-tempt-chelsea-with-a-tasty-20-million-offer/23383?

If Ram is a bit part player how would they describe Mata I wonder.

Also did we not pay about ST£20m for him? Would have thought his stock would have risen significantly in his time at the Bridge.

Whoever starts Wednesday has a chance to put down a marker, I reckon it'll be Eto'o and if he doesnt score then it'll be Ba in on Saturday.

The Telegraph reckon this will be the starting teams tonight.
    Chelsea (4-2-3-1):
    Cech, Cole, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta; Lampard, Ramires; Hazard, Willian, Oscar, Eto'o.

Schalke (4-2-3-1):
    Hildebrand; Uchida, Howedes, Matip, Aogo; Jones, Neustadter; Boateng, Meyer, Draxler; Szalai.

I really cant see Lampard starting, I'd agree with the rest of the team though more or less.

Cant see lamps starting neither, he may be missing for a while so poor has been his form. Have a funny feeling Ba will be given a run or else it will be Schurrle thinking patience running out with Eto'o as well.

So could be

Petr, Dave, Cahill, JT, Ash, Obi, Ram, Haz / Schurrle, Oscar, Willian, Ba / Schurrle

Cant see lamps starting neither, he may be missing for a while so poor has been his form. Have a funny feeling Ba will be given a run or else it will be Schurrle thinking patience running out with Eto'o as well.

So could be

Petr, Dave, Cahill, JT, Ash, Obi, Ram, Haz / Schurrle, Oscar, Willian, Ba / Schurrle

I dont know if Ba will play, I reckon if Eto'o doesnt score tonight Ba will start on Saturday against WBA.

• Advertisement

Schwarzer has retired from International football.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3525884/title/schwarzer-retires-from-australia

Australias most capped player with 109 caps to his name.

Anyone off this evening?

UEFA Youth League game Chelsea v Schalke is on Eurosport.
    The Under-19s host Schalke at Aldershot's Electrical Services Stadium today with kick-off at 3pm. Admission is free but, for those unable to make it down to the stadium, the game is being screened live on Eurosport

Good keeper in his day, surprised he never got picked up by one of the bigger teams.
    Didn't he nearly sign for Arsenal a few years back? He would have been a solid addition.
    Played well in his 2 (?) appearances for Chelsea. Solid as a rock.

Panthro wrote: »
    Good keeper in his day, surprised he never got picked up by one of the bigger teams.
    Didn't he nearly sign for Arsenal a few years back? He would have been a solid addition.
    Played well in his 2 (?) appearances for Chelsea. Solid as a rock.

I think he did a few years back when they werent sure over Almunia/Fabianski. I think he nearly went on strike at Fulham too over it.

He had a huge howler in pre-season though if I remember correctly but in his competitive games, yes hes been solid, exactly what you want from your sub g.k.

Schurrle is 23 today, a goal or two tonight would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Excited for the game tonight, expecting a decent reaction but without Torres up front still a tight game, 2-1 to us.

Team is :
    Cech, Azpilicueta, Cahill, Terry, Ivanovic, Mikel, Ramires, Oscar, Willian, Schurrle, Eto'o

Bench :
    Schwarzer, Cole, David Luiz, Lampard, De Bruyne, Mata, Ba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Hazard not even on yhe bench. Thought he be only dropped to the bench

Match thread up

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Hazard not even on yhe bench. Thought he be only dropped to the bench

The official line seems to be "rested" but a guy of his talent should be playing better.

He snatched at 2 decent chances v Newcastle so a "rest" is welcomed.

Schurrle, Willian and Eto'o are all playing to keep their places for Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Well Eto'o's kept his, not that Ba is much competition.

EDIT: or maybe Ba will give it a go..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Sunderland winning.

2-0! Sunderland it is!

Southampton get one back.

now...pick the team for the weekend let ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I tell ya one thing lads, we can kiss goodbye any competition with Arsenal in it, cos they have some luck this season.

Man U don't have a chance on sunday...

the_monkey wrote: »
    I tell ya one thing lads, we can kiss goodbye any competition with Arsenal in it, cos they have some luck this season.

You do realise Chelsea were playing tonight, right?

the_monkey wrote: »

Well we've already beat them in 1 competition so their luck mustn't be great :pac:

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Well we've already beat them in 1 competition so their luck mustn't be great :pac:

In a nothing better of out then in cup.

Yes I'm aware Chelsea were playing but I could only watch Dortmund on the RTE player ..

Sport is so sh*t lately, nothing but bad news ... between football and the little cheating disgrace being back at #1 ...

I might just hibernate for 5 years

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement