Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Panthro wrote: »
    It's been a while since we've said that about the big man in fairness.

Oh I'd agree with ya, for the best part of 3 seasons now hes being back to the level he was at before the injury, if not better so I'll cut him a bit of slack but it was a bread and butter save that he should have made, the defence didnt help him for the 1st goal at all as WBA got 2 free headers inside the 6 yard box in the space of 5 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Panthro wrote: »
    It's been a while since we've said that about the big man in fairness.

Was he not poor for citys goal few weeks back, it was all forgotten after Harts mistake. Great keeper though, best in the league right now.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Was he not poor for citys goal few weeks back, it was all forgotten after Harts mistake. Great keeper though, best in the league right now.

Mmmm ya he could have done better but the accuracy and power of Agueros strike cant be faulted either, TBH I think everyone expected him to go across goal and if he went near post, barring an exceptional strike it wasnt going in but Aguero pulled one out of the bag for that strike, there was a stunned silence around the Bridge after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Mmmm ya he could have done better but the accuracy and power of Agueros strike cant be faulted either, TBH I think everyone expected him to go across goal and if he went near post, barring an exceptional strike it wasnt going in but Aguero pulled one out of the bag for that strike, there was a stunned silence around the Bridge after it.

Sometimes it is just a good goal, and I think the ManCity time was one of those excellent shot in fairness off his so called wrong foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I still don't think he should have been beaten on his near post like that. A couple of mistakes don't make him a bad keeper though. Still one of the best around IMO

amiable wrote: »
    I still don't think he should have been beaten on his near post like that. A couple of mistakes don't make him a bad keeper though. Still one of the best around IMO

He shouldnt have but 9/10 those shots go across goals in a natural dragging motion it took either a flukey or well struck shot to go in where it did.

Cech had taken a gamble and was leaning onto his right knee in prepartion fora shot across goal and was done near side, shouldnt have happened but I'd forgive him, however, the one agaisnt WBA was unforgiveable, he didnt get his body behind it, failing that his handling was poor, as it squeezed under him and his positioning and foot work could have been better, its nit picking but it could have cost us a point and at 1-1 it was unacceptable from a g.k. of Cechs ability really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

well ? i scored 47% , it was tough

http://www.gotoquiz.com/how_chelsea_are_you

I'll ty after work, cant access it from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

peteeeed wrote: »

60% few guesses though. All most certainly there when Chelsea were Poor. Quiz got that right anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

53% :cool:

60% and yea it was tough some very odd questions indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

67%

Ashamed of myself :)
    Think I need to go away and scrub myself with a wire brush for having a decent knowledge of CFC :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

60% for me

Never ever heard of 'Ickys coach' let alone what it came over :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

60% for myself aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

47%, good for a 19 year old I think :p

• Advertisement

So....to solve our CM problem Twitter seems to think alonso on a free is the answer. im not so sure myself tbh but it on a short term maybe 2 year deal it could be worth it.

60%, some guesses.

Had to laugh at poor old Willie Foulke.

He made Ross Turnbull look small, no mean feat in itself.

William+Foulke+2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

53%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

73%, but then I'm old. A couple of rather naughty references in amongst the questions. Supporters who were at the the Bridge in the late 70s/early 80s will remember Icky (sometimes called Hicky or Gravesend Icky) - he was a legendary hooligan and football firm leader - and the song about him to the tune of Spandau Ballet's 'To Cut A Long Story Short'. 'Harry Roberts' as the creator of The Liquidator - well just google 'Harry Roberts'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kess73 wrote: »
    67%

Ashamed of myself :)
    Think I need to go away and scrub myself with a wire brush for having a decent knowledge of CFC :D.

Same result, same reaction!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Duck Soup wrote: »
    73%, but then I'm old. A couple of rather naughty references in amongst the questions. Supporters who were at the the Bridge in the late 70s/early 80s will remember Icky (sometimes called Hicky or Gravesend Icky) - he was a legendary hooligan and football firm leader - and the song about him to the tune of Spandau Ballet's 'To Cut A Long Story Short'. 'Harry Roberts' as the creator of The Liquidator - well just google 'Harry Roberts'.

I think you're getting your 'Arrys mixed up. The Liquidator is by Harry J and the all stars (Harry Johnson)

RichT wrote: »
    I think you're getting your 'Arrys mixed up. The Liquidator is by Harry J and the all stars (Harry Johnson)

harry johnson , sadly passed away this year

Joses at it again, happy one me bo**ocks. :pac:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10442550/Chelsea-manager-Jose-Mourinho-calls-West-Bromwich-Albions-Jonas-Olsson-a-Mickey-Mouse-player.html
    Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho calls West Bromwich Albion's Jonas Olsson a 'Mickey Mouse player'
    Mourinho, meanwhile, has said that the “different profile” of Chelsea fans has led to a poor atmosphere at the club’s home matches. He believes Stamford Bridge regulars are as passionate about their team as sup­porters of any other club but admitted that they do not demonstrate that passion through vocal support

Extra tickets for Southampton on 1st December available now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

RichT wrote: »

I know. What I'm referring to is 'Harry Roberts' as one of the possible multiple choice answers below the Liquidator question. Harry Roberts - if memory serves me right - was a real-life multiple cop killer and there was a song in The Shed in the 70s/early 80s that went something along the lines of "Harry Roberts is our friend, he kills coppers". So a rather naughty reference.

Icky was the leader of a Chelsea crew in the 1970s, located in Gravesend. Icky was famous for a number of things. Allegedly stabbing a number of Moslems outside a mosque was one of them. Another was that he had a PSV (Public Service Vehicle) license and drove his own firm around in his own coach.

The other big name on the Stamford Bridge terraces at the time was Babsy. Babsy had one arm, having being pushed onto the tracks and had his arm severed by a train during a dust up at a train station. Who pushed him was variously said to be (a) Big Bill Gardiner from West Ham or (b) some unnamed Spurs fans.

The quiz was definitely set by an old school Chelsea fan. A few references only old-timers would get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I think Jose is right about the atmosphere at home games in fairness, its not great a lot of the time, but I think that can be said for most clubs

from the daily mirror

chelsea plot £60million Radamel Falcao bid as Jose Mourinho looks to fill striker void
    11 Nov 2013 22:30
    Blues boss set to watch Monaco striker on international duty when Columbia take on Belgium this weekend

Jose Mourinho is back in the hunt for Radamel Falcao as he looks for Chelsea’s next number nine.

The Blues boss is going to watch Monaco’s super striker in action for Colombia against highly-rated Belgium on Thursday before considering giving the green light to a British record £60million bid.

Falcao chose the tax haven in the summer when Chelsea were among his other admirers, but whispers of a potential quick move out of France have emerged.

Chelsea spies have been watching Falcao in case there is a chance, but despite scoring regularly there are concerns within the club that he is not being physically tested enough in the French league to judge him.

The Special One is keen to see how Falcao performs against Belgium’s big, strong side - a perfect preparation for playing in the Premier League.

Buying Falcao - and finding a way round his wages - make it a difficult transfer to pull off. But above all Mourinho wants to be sure Falcao is up to the demands of English football.

Mourinho wanted a top striker in the summer, failing to land Wayne Rooney or Robert Lewandwoski and settling for veteran Samuel Eto’o.

But it is still a missing piece of his jigsaw and Falcao is one of the major candidates for the vacancy, either in January or next summer.

Falcao is eligible for the Champions League this season which is another reason why Mourinho is dropping everything to see him now.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chelsea-transfer-news-blues-plot-2752177

Thr thing abuot Falcao is hes on something like 275K a week, thats about 100K more then anyone in our squad.

Why didnt we just buy directly from Atletico? One can assume they would have wantedto include Courtois in any deal and would probably have told us go do one if we said no chance.

So basically it looks to be Falcao for 60 million or offer Lewandoski huge wages and big signing on and agent fee?

The no brainer would be Lewandoski considering his age and the no transfer fee but if he ends up at anywhere other then Bayern I'd be shocked.

Thr thing abuot Falcao is hes on something like 275K a week, thats about 100K more then anyone in our squad.

Why didnt we just buy directly from Atletico? One can assume they would have wantedto include Courtois in any deal and would probably have told us go do one if we said no chance.

From what I understand he had little say in where he was transferred to in that he was basically owned by a consortium who sold to the highest bidder, there was press coverage to that effect at the time. Dont forget as well the tax regime in Monaco is quite lax from an income tax point of view he would not lose a lot of that very very big wad.
    So basically it looks to be Falcao for 60 million or offer Lewandoski huge wages and big signing on and agent fee?

The no brainer would be Lewandoski considering his age and the no transfer fee but if he ends up at anywhere other then Bayern I'd be shocked.

I still have a funny feeling there is something not quite right about the Lewandoski to Bayern deal. There was rumours over the summer that he had eyes for Bayern and no one else, actually more than rumours I suppose. Since Pepe has taken over in Bayern there have been some rumours he does not really fancy Lewandoski (and given the array of talent he has at hand that is very believable) and there are now rumours that Lewandoski fancies a tilt at the premier league "at some stage". Now lots of smoke and mirrors and could be an excellent ploy by his Mr 10% to up the deal but you never know hope springs eternal in our quest for a striker.

• Advertisement

From what I understand he had little say in where he was transferred to in that he was basically owned by a consortium who sold to the highest bidder, there was press coverage to that effect at the time. Dont forget as well the tax regime in Monaco is quite lax from an income tax point of view he would not lose a lot of that very very big wad.

It looks like the F.F.F. cant really do anything about Monacos tax and neither can UEFA it seems, no matter what they do thare tax laws cant be amended for the sake of football. His 3rd party ownership is now clear after the Monaco deal, part of the reason it was so huge was Atletico were due something close to 50% of any deal and a few investors that brought him to Porto from South America were due there own percentages so the transfer sky rocketed as a result.
    I still have a funny feeling there is something not quite right about the Lewandoski to Bayern deal. There was rumours over the summer that he had eyes for Bayern and no one else, actually more than rumours I suppose. Since Pepe has taken over in Bayern there have been some rumours he does not really fancy Lewandoski (and given the array of talent he has at hand that is very believable) and there are now rumours that Lewandoski fancies a tilt at the premier league "at some stage". Now lots of smoke and mirrors and could be an excellent ploy by his Mr 10% to up the deal but you never know hope springs eternal in our quest for a striker.

Well if he does decide to come to the EPL it will be us that will have to break the bank, every other team has at least 1 very good CF at the club, City and Utd have about 3 each IMO so if we want to get a CF to match up to the rest we'll have to at least enquire, there was suggestions when Jose first came that he wasnt overly convinced about Lewandoski, despite scoring 4 against Real in teh UCL Semi Final. :pac:

Jose on Lewandoski
    I think his story is a book that was written long ago. Everyone knows how the story ends. It surprised me that he even paired with us, it is so obvious,

Lewandoski
    I will reveal my future next year. No one needs to get in touch with me anymore.

"I have decided what I am to do. I simply want to have a new challenge next season, despite the fact I am feeling very, very happy being at Borussia Dortmund."

Bayern it is then. :pac:

nice touch from ramieres

'If I leave, Chelsea would have to make the decision' - Ramires flattered by Real Madrid interest but does not want to leave Blues
    helsea midfielder Ramires says he is not seeking a move away from Stamford Bridge amidst speculation that he could be offered to Real Madrid in a possible swap deal with Sami Khedira.

The Brazil international is being targeted by the Spanish giants as a possible replacement for the German midfielder, who has expressed a desire to quit the Bernabeu.

Chelsea are one of the clubs interested in signing Khedira should Madrid agree to sell and there has been speculation over a possible swap.

But Ramires, who signed a new five-year contract to keep him at Chelsea until 2017 last year, has become a key part of the team and is enjoying playing under new manager Jose Mourinho.

He said: “I see the interest of Real Madrid as a recognition of my good work in Europe, but I'm under contract with Chelsea and it would be unethical for me to comment (on their interest). For the moment, these are only rumours.

“I am very happy here. I am respected and part of the club's history. If I leave, Chelsea would have to make the decision. Chelsea is one of the biggest clubs in the world. I have realised my dream here.

“My goals are never personal, but collective. I want to continue to play football and help my team win titles. Collective success makes me stronger individually.

“Mourinho is a very decent coach. He is doing an excellent job. He manages to motivate his players and offers a chance to everyone. I have evolved since his arrival. I hope to continue to help and doing what he expects of me.”

The 26-year-old, who has come under heavy criticism for the way he won a last minute penalty for Chelsea on Saturday which helped them to secure a 2-2 draw against West Brom, is convinced they can win the title this season.

Chelsea trail Arsenal by just four points despite not finding their best form yet and Ramires added: “The Premier League is one of the toughest competitions in the world, but we have the means to win.

“Our team is very strong and we can win it all this season. Winning the Champions League (with Chelsea in 2012) was one of the greatest moments of my career. I think the only title that can compete with that is the World Cup in Brazil.”

Meanwhile, it is understood Belgian club Anderlecht have been ruled out of the running to sign midfielder Kevin de Bruyne on loan in January.

Anderlecht confirmed they were interested in the 22-year-old, who has started just two games in as many months under Mourinho, at the weekend.

As Standard Sport revealed, De Bruyne is waiting until December before making a decision on his future, but if he does leave as expected, he won’t be returning to Belgium.

It is believed his former club Genk, who sold him to Chelsea for £7m in January 2012, stipulated that he wouldn’t ever play for any of their rivals on loan as part of the transfer.

Besides, if Chelsea allow him to leave, they want him to play in a stronger competition and the Bundesliga is his most likely destination, with Wolfsburg, Bayer Leverkusen and Schalke all in the hunt.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/if-i-leave-chelsea-would-have-to-make-the-decision--ramires-flattered-by-real-madrid-interest-but-does-not-want-to-leave-blues-8934250.html

Rami has been a very important player for us and key to us drawing with Barca at the Nou Camp, its possibily my favourite Chelsea goal of the last few years chipping Valdes from the edge of the box.

Rami has been a very important player for us and key to us drawing with Barca at the Nou Camp, its possibily my favourite Chelsea goal of the last few years chipping Valdes from the edge of the box.

That and Drogba's header in the final, never actually seen a better headed goal I think but how Ram managed to chip the ball on the go with such accuracy was simply astounding. Love both those goals.

Ya that header generated some power actually.

I was watching it with a buddy who's a Juventus fan and he was amazed he managed to get that much power behind it and accuracy, it was the definition of a perfect header.

I remember Lamps saying he was delighted Drogba got to it as he was behind him lining up, while Frank is decent in the air, of all the Chelsea players to get on the end of a cross you'd want Drogba on the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Jose's true colours come out when things don't go his way. Horrid behaviour.

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Jose's true colours come out when things don't go his way. Horrid behaviour.

Part and parcel of the game, manager backing up his team. It was also Olsson who started it all if the reports are to be believed.

Part and parcel of the game, manager backing up his team. It was also Olsson who started it all if the reports are to be believed.

Absolutely and that is why we love him, never takes the knockers long to come out of the woodwork does it.

• Advertisement

Absolutely and that is why we love him, never takes the knockers long to come out of the woodwork does it.

They're entitled to their opinion but it does happen a lot, you'd expect it at the end of such a highly intense game, given WBA were all but robbed at the end, their players would have been on tender hooks.

Jose is no angel, far from it but sometimes you got to laugh at the hyperboil that does spill out, it was the same when he went into the crowd against City.

I seen people calling for bans and all after that one. :pac:

They're entitled to their opinion but it does happen a lot, you'd expect it at the end of such a highly intense game, given WBA were all but robbed at the end, their players would have been on tender hooks.

Jose is no angel, far from it but sometimes you got to laugh at the hyperboil that does spill out, it was the same when he went into the crowd against City.

I seen people calling for bans and all after that one. :pac:

Agree Gav but never let the facts get in the way of a good lynching, by all accounts the 20 man scuffle he "generated" is actually non existent and the kerfuffle as much as it was, was as you say started by baggies players.

Agree Gav but never let the facts get in the way of a good lynching, by all accounts the 20 man scuffle he "generated" is actually non existent and the kerfuffle as much as it was, was as you say started by baggies players.

The report above and one other online seem to suggest it was a heat of the moment thing and hand shakes were exchanged all around when WBA were leaving The Bridge.

Anyone who expected Jose to be the Happy One all season was going to be sorely mistaken, the team is letting him down with some poor performances in games where we shoudl be better equipped to deal with teams parking the bus.

I'd personally believe it happened just as much as I believe you saying it's non existent. It could have happened. So what if it did? There's always bust ups after controversial decisions. It's what makes the game passionate. Suggesting it happened doesn't automatically make a person a knocker. But that doesn't help the siege mentality.

Olsson has a habit of having bustups in my experience.
    Much a do about nothing IMO

Ya, Amiable has it spot on, last minute of the game, dodgy peno given, you've been robbed of a victory and the opposition manager is in your team mates ear, of course you'll react, given the circumstances its very understandable really but as long as it doesnt go down the Mikel/Clattenburg road I'm not to bothered really.

I'd personally believe it happened just as much as I believe you saying it's non existent. It could have happened. So what if it did? There's always bust ups after controversial decisions. It's what makes the game passionate. Suggesting it happened doesn't make a person a knocker. But that doesn't help the siege mentality.

Olsson has a habit of having bustups in my experience.
    Much a do about nothing IMO

Joses true colours coming out - horrid behaviour.

Did you actually read the initial post I wonder?

• Advertisement

Ya, Amiable has it spot on, last minute of the game, dodgy peno given, you've been robbed of a victory and the opposition manager is in your team mates ear, of course you'll react, given the circumstances its very understandable really but as long as it doesnt go down the Mikel/Clattenburg road I'm not to bothered really.

Which plenty on here told us didn't happen either ;)
    Tribal views are tribal :)

Joses true colours coming out - horrid behaviour.

Did you actually read the initial post I wonder?

Yes I did. The poster has an opinion on Jose. It doesn't make him a knocker. Just that he believes Jose has a history of doing some unsavoury things. But again it wouldn't suit a siege mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Suppose I better say that it's impossible not to have respect for what Mourinho's achieved but his constant behaviour like this means I can't stand him. I am somewhat of a knocker I suppose.

Yes I did. The poster has an opinion on Jose. It doesn't make him a knocker. Just that he believes Jose has a history of doing some unsavoury things. But again it wouldn't suit a siege mentality.

Classic smoke and mirrors, things must be very quiet on the Liverpool thread.

Which plenty on here told us didn't happen either ;)
    Tribal views are tribal :)

Oh of course, had it happened any other club the fans would have backed the player/maangement 100% until proven otherwise.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement