Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Suppose I better say that it's impossible not to have respect for what Mourinho's achieved but his constant behaviour like this means I can't stand him. I am somewhat of a knocker I suppose.

If I wasnt a Chelsea fan, Joses antics would rub me up the wrong way to some degree but his passion and some of what he does is entertaining but ask a Chelsea fan and they'll all love the antics,that is until he tries to take someones eye out if it all kicks off down the touch line.

At the Villa game and we were a few mtres up and above the dugout and Jose and Lambert were at each other the whole game, was entertaining enough from where we were anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Suppose I better say that it's impossible not to have respect for what Mourinho's achieved but his constant behaviour like this means I can't stand him. I am somewhat of a knocker I suppose.

And thats fine, I think Fergie was possibly the best manager of all time - couldn't stand him though and of course had he managed Chelsea that would have been totally different :).

If Jose didn't stand up for the team then knocking them when they play muck as against the barcodes would mean nothing. But in this instance he was far more sinned against than sinned.

And after spending half a season knocking whenever possible the interim one I reserve the right to stand up for TSSHO all the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If I wasnt a Chelsea fan, Joses antics would rub me up the wrong way to some degree but his passion and some of what he does is entertaining but ask a Chelsea fan and they'll all love the antics,that is until he tries to take someones eye out if it all kicks off down the touch line.

At the Villa game and we were a few mtres up and above the dugout and Jose and Lambert were at each other the whole game, was entertaining enough from where we were anyway.

They(his misdemeanors) don't bother me too much. It would be nice if people could be allowed to just highlight these things without being called knockers.

Jose is Jose and nothing will change that. IMO it's probably part of what makes him such a good manager

Classic smoke and mirrors, things must be very quiet on the Liverpool thread.

Someone posted something slightly negative and you have to resort to something petty about another thread

Oh of course, had it happened any other club the fans would have backed the player/maangement 100% until proven otherwise.

Proves my point

amiable wrote: »
    They(his misdemeanors) don't bother me too much. It would be nice if people could be allowed to just highlight these things without being called knockers.

Jose is Jose and nothing will change that. IMO it's probably part of what makes him such a good manager

Terrible shame that the original poster accepts in good grace that he is somewhat of a knocker sort of blows a hole under the plimsoll line of your argument there really. Being a knocker is not always negative but it can somewhat skew your view.

Terrible shame that the original poster accepts in good grace that he is somewhat of a knocker sort of blows a hole under the plimsoll line of your argument there really. Being a knocker is not always negative but it can somewhat skew your view.
    I'm happy to have edited the post now.
    And I stand by the point made.
    It's such a shame you often have to resort to things about the Liverpool thread in the Chelsea thread.

Proves my point

Oh ya but thats how football fans work and we all know it.

For the record had it happened at another club I probably would have waded in with my 2 cents on it but on that occasion we were the offending club so you'd expect the flak from other football fans, its part and parcel of supporting a club, especially such a big club and a lub with a very recent history of less then morale ethics in some regards but with a lot of things in soccer, its nearly forgotten about as we go to the next drama/outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Courtois talks with Chelsea stalled until after the WC according to the DM.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2501392/Chelsea-keeper-Thibaut-Courtois-stalls-talks-World-Cup-bid-replace-Petr-Cech.html
    Big decisions will have to be made by Jose. Sooner or later, Cech to settle for the No.2 keeper job? Should he settle for it? He's only 31, plenty of mileage in him yet TBF. I'd guess a number of top clubs would be happy to have him as their No.1

Oh ya but thats how football fans work and we all know it.

For the record had it happened at another club I probably would have waded in with my 2 cents on it but on that occasion we were the offending club so you'd expect the flak from other football fans, its part and parcel of supporting a club, especially such a big club and a lub with a very recent history of less then morale ethics in some regards but with a lot of things in soccer, its nearly forgotten about as we go to the next drama/outrage.

Every club has tribal fans. It's such a pity some can't admit that.

• Advertisement

Panthro wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2501392/Chelsea-keeper-Thibaut-Courtois-stalls-talks-World-Cup-bid-replace-Petr-Cech.html
    Big decisions will have to be made by Jose. Sooner or later, Cech to settle for the No.2 keeper job? Should he settle for it? He's only 31, plenty of mileage in him yet TBF. I'd guess a number of top clubs would be happy to have him as their No.1

Courtois wont settle for number 2, Cech wont want to be number 2.

Schwarzer has a year long deal doesnt he?

Worse case scenario I think is we lose Courtois, given hes nearly 10 years younger then Cech I think we really have our future number 1 just waiting.

Best case scenario is Cech stays and fights it out with Courtois, I'm surde there is plenty Cech and the g.k. coaching, Christopher Lochillion(sp) can pass on to Courtois.

If Cech was to go maybe PSG would be the best place for him, UCL football, big money, he lived in France previously and he smiles better then the current keeper.

If Courtpis doesnt sign a new contract I'll be freaked, at his age and ability the guy has the world at his feet and i hope he realises all his immense talent while between the sticks for us.

Every club has tribal fans. It's such a pity some can't admit that.

If you are referring to me I have never denied it which is why it is very very rare for me to post on any other soccer thread. I have little interest in the mundane affairs of anyone bar Chelsea and thats as tribal as you can get.

The majortity of my posts are in here too and Chelsea match threads but if a topic I'm interested in pops up in another thread I'll discuss it.

Although discussing the finer points of Utd/Arsenal/Liverpool/City is something I'm not to well up on and wouldnt want to look a tit with the locals. :pac:

Would be a sickener to lose out on Courtois but if he is to go then it needs to be next summer so as we can cash in on him. In goalkeeping terms Petr is still young I would say Courtois's development has surprised a few people with his really rapid rise to the top.

Daily Mail running with Falcao to Chelsea and also JT to Turkey to join Mancini at Galatasray.
    Chelsea remain favourites so sign Falcao ahead of United due to the relationship between Mourinho and Jorge Mendes, who is the agent for both the Blues boss and the striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Would be a sickener to lose out on Courtois but if he is to go then it needs to be next summer so as we can cash in on him. In goalkeeping terms Petr is still young I would say Courtois's development has surprised a few people with his really rapid rise to the top.

Swap cech for a quality outfield player from a big club in a position who were looking for and take Courtious in as our #1

For Cech I'd love either of the below for our CM but player swaps very rarely happen.

PSG - Matuidi
    Monaco - Moutinho/Kondogbia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Courtois wont settle for number 2, Cech wont want to be number 2.

Schwarzer has a year long deal doesnt he?

Worse case scenario I think is we lose Courtois, given hes nearly 10 years younger then Cech I think we really have our future number 1 just waiting.

Best case scenario is Cech stays and fights it out with Courtois, I'm surde there is plenty Cech and the g.k. coaching, Christopher Lochillion(sp) can pass on to Courtois.

If Cech was to go maybe PSG would be the best place for him, UCL football, big money, he lived in France previously and he smiles better then the current keeper.

If Courtpis doesnt sign a new contract I'll be freaked, at his age and ability the guy has the world at his feet and i hope he realises all his immense talent while between the sticks for us.

you would have to think by 2016 at the latest courtois will be no.1 , i have a feeling barcelona will be sniffing around cech next summer with a goalkeeper no.1 on their shopping list

peteeeed wrote: »
    you would have to think by 2016 at the latest courtois will be no.1 , i have a feeling barcelona will be sniffing around cech next summer with a goalkeeper no.1 on their shopping list

Both Cech and Courtois contracts are up in 2016 afaik.

I can se Barca going for Courtois, settled in Spain already, younger, more likely to leave.

Jose has a huge challenge to keep both and at the moment Courtois is more likely to leave as Cech is still good enough to be in the top 10, maybe top 5 in the world but Courtois could even surpass that, hes that talented.

Cech replaced Cudicini and nearly 10 years on Courtois could replace Cech.

I'm just not sure I could see Cech siting on the bench, if Courtois is brought in he'll probably want to play 1st team football elsewhere and hes fit enough and takes care of himself he could go for another 7-10 years.

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    Swap cech for a quality outfield player from a big club in a position who were looking for and take Courtious in as our #1

Both Cech and Courtois contracts are up in 2016 afaik.

I can se Barca going for Courtois, settled in Spain already, younger, more likely to leave.

Jose has a huge challenge to keep both and at the moment Courtois is more likely to leave as Cech is still good enough to be in the top 10, maybe top 5 in the world but Courtois could even surpass that, hes that talented.

Cech replaced Cudicini and nearly 10 years on Courtois could replace Cech.

I'm just not sure I could see Cech siting on the bench, if Courtois is brought in he'll probably want to play 1st team football elsewhere and hes fit enough and takes care of himself he could go for another 7-10 years.

That could well be what happens duploelabs it could be the best answer all round, so obviously Petr will not be going to Barca as I am not sure they have anyone good enough for our starting 11 ;)

Petr has at least 5 years at the very top, and most likely more so this is not an immediate problem for us. One will leave next summer but we have a top ranked goalkeeper for at least 5 years - however if we let Courtois go we will need to change our procedures as we would have to sign Petr to more than the one year contract for players over 30. If we are to persist with that then it is a no brainer Petr has to go in the summer.

I hope JT doesn't go to Turkey. I'd prefer to see him in a coaching role at the club down the line. His form this season hints he's still more than capable of holding his own in the starting 11.
    The goal keeper one is very difficult to call.

We cant lose Courtois, unless its for about 35-40 million the guy is only going to get better and better and for his potetinal and ability we have to command a huge price for him which will leave us with the problem down the line of replacing Cech, Blackman and Beeney arent up to Courtois standard what so ever so relying on the kids at the club wont work.

We stole a march on Europe by getting in Courtois early so losing him without playing a game would be madness.

That could well be what happens duploelabs it could be the best answer all round, so obviously Petr will not be going to Barca as I am not sure they have anyone good enough for our starting 11 ;)

Petr has at least 5 years at the very top, and most likely more so this is not an immediate problem for us. One will leave next summer but we have a top ranked goalkeeper for at least 5 years - however if we let Courtois go we will need to change our procedures as we would have to sign Petr to more than the one year contract for players over 30. If we are to persist with that then it is a no brainer Petr has to go in the summer.

What to Real for Varane?

I hope JT doesn't go to Turkey. I'd prefer to see him in a coaching role at the club down the line. His form this season hints he's still more than capable of holding his own in the starting 11.
    The goal keeper one is very difficult to call.

For all JT's faults (and he does have a few) his commitment to the Chelsea team could never be called into question. Not blessed with searing pace ... well not blessed with any pace really and subject to the odd brain fart but his reading of the game is excellent and his bravery is beyond question. I would have thought he would make an excellent coach as he has really had to work hard to get where he is.

Another interesting question at the moment is full backs, I think Dave is playing himself into the team and TSHO does seem to be a convert but who will miss out Ash or Ivan? I have a feeling Ivan is going to lose this battle in the short term at least he has not been great of late in defense or attack.

Talk about a leap of faith how in the name of God do they match up that story and headline

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/521926/20131113/cristiano-ronaldo-jose-mourinho-chelsea-real-madrid.htm?

Would really love to see him at Chelsea but it will never happen in a month of Sundays even Madrid are not daft enough to let one of the best players in the world go. And if they were I think Monaco and PSG would have a lot to say about that ... no mind ManU

• Advertisement

I always thought Ronnie and Jose, especially towards the latter part of his Real days werent exactly the best pals so it makes no sense at all in my mind anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Di Matteo still doing quite nicely out of Chelsea, why bother going to work when Chelsea are still paying him £130,000 a week for doing nothing until June next year. Don't blame him for taking it, and as says in linked article, not too many jobs in football are going to pay him that much.

Link to Story

Theres not a hope in hell Di Matteo was on that, Rafa was getting 80K a week AFAIW.

Sure Jose is getting the bones of 170-180k who on earth would give RDM 130k?

:eek:

Theres not a hope in hell Di Matteo was on that, Rafa was getting 80K a week AFAIW.

Sure Jose is getting the bones of 170-180k who on earth would give RDM 130k?

:eek:

The Guardian is pretty reliable on these things in general.
    Although in saying that I'd find it even more reliable if there were an actual journalists name to the piece.

Wouldn't surprise me really he had just won a double and was the current Champions League winning manager. Our stock was pretty poor having disposed of Big Phil, Carlo, and AVB in pretty short order whilst the interim one hadn't had a job managing since Inter.

Saved Chelsea some ST£10m apparently when AVB went to Spurs as he was on the same severance package.

• Advertisement

The Guardian is pretty reliable on these things in general.
    Although in saying that I'd find it even more reliable if there were an actual journalists name to the piece.

The only way I can see it being that high is if it was paying him compensation on top of what was owed on his contract.

TBF if he is getting that amount why would ya work, he wouldnt get half of that in most jobs that would be of his level.

Wouldn't surprise me really he had just won a double and was the current Champions League winning manager. Our stock was pretty poor having disposed of Big Phil, Carlo, and AVB in pretty short order whilst the interim one hadn't had a job managing since Inter.

Saved Chelsea some ST£10m apparently when AVB went to Spurs as he was on the same severance package.

Regardless of what he won if he came in asking for that whoever offered and sanctioned it should be shot.

Especially when the club were putting nearly all there eggs in the Pep basket at the time, a 2 year deal at that wage is crazy.

The only way I can see it being that high is if it was paying him compensation on top of what was owed on his contract.

TBF if he is getting that amount why would ya work, he wouldnt get half of that in most jobs that would be of his level.

I think the answer to your question is in your question he has not worked has he :) as you say why would you and given the way he was sacked I would hang on to the bitter end as well.

Regardless of what he won if he came in asking for that whoever offered and sanctioned it should be shot.

Especially when the club were putting nearly all there eggs in the Pep basket at the time, a 2 year deal at that wage is crazy.

You need to remember the time though Gav, Chelsea wanted to give him a year he turned it down Pepe was off to NY for a sabbatical. There was a huge amount of press and to some degree supporter pressure to give Robbie the job after pulling off what really was a miracle and no one else of any decent calibre waiting in the wings. My guess is they said damn give him two years and we will write off the final year when Pepe arrives ---- that worked well :(

You need to remember the time though Gav, Chelsea wanted to give him a year he turned it down Pepe was off to NY for a sabbatical. There was a huge amount of press and to some degree supporter pressure to give Robbie the job after pulling off what really was a miracle and no one else of any decent calibre waiting in the wings. My guess is they said damn give him two years and we will write off the final year when Pepe arrives ---- that worked well :(

It worked well in the end, RDM was sacked anyway, Pep went to Barca, we got Rafa and he was repalced by the one we all wanted anyway in Jose.

:pac:

Drogba scored for Ivory Coast v Senegal in the WCQ, Kalou also got a goal for them.

63 goals in 98 internationals at the moment for Didier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Being honest I know little of the guy TBH.

I thought we missed an opportunity with Kondogbia but Monaco did force his price through the roof.

Just on Courtois/Cech affair.

Cech is curerntly 3rd in the all time list of EPL clean sheets on 148, he is 1 behind.....Mark Schwarzer on 149 and James has 170.

Cech has the most amount of clean sheets for one club.

His record of 148 clean sheets in 303 games is just under 1 every 2 games, for a comparison, Schemichel who was lauded as one of the greatest to ever play in England has 129 clean sheets in 310 appearances although some of that is skewed as he played for Villa and City after leaving Utd but Cechs record is still very, very impressive.

Also anyone interested, festive memberships are now up for games until the end of the season.

15 quid instead of the usual 25, very good offer if you want to go over to a game or two before the end of the season.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3536544/title/festive-memberships-now-available

Edit, I read it wrong.

Turns out memberships are still the same price the above are for packages worth 45 for adults and 15 for kids where you get a scarf, dvd, calendar etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

We cant lose Courtois, unless its for about 35-40 million the guy is only going to get better and better and for his potetinal and ability we have to command a huge price for him which will leave us with the problem down the line of replacing Cech, Blackman and Beeney arent up to Courtois standard what so ever so relying on the kids at the club wont work.

We stole a march on Europe by getting in Courtois early so losing him without playing a game would be madness.
    A top, top GK is key to sustained success. If CFC have to choose between Courtois and Cech, unfortunately they have to look to the future and be prepared to sacrifice Petr if Courtois really is deemed to be the business. We can't afford to be left high and dry a la Hart when Cech eventually does go into decline. And that day will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

KDB had a very poor game for Belgium apparently, Jose won't be impressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I just know we're going to lose him in January or summer and he'll turn into a top player

I just know we're going to lose him in January or summer and he'll turn into a top player

He hasnt being good enough, although some might say he wasnt given a chance, on the flip side of that he trains like the rest of the squad and if he isnt impressing Jose or the coaches then so be it, he can go elsewhere which he probably will in January.

Christmas is coming ..... worrying what to get that special person? ............ Worry no more Chelsea daft to the rescue ............

http://www.chelseadaft.org/2013/11/chelsea-onesies-by-love-my-online.html?

and then he gets the carriage clock I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Bad night for Lamps and England

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Think Lampard should probably call it a day after this season. Seems to have just hit the wall. Can't keep possession, and isn't as threatening in the box any more. Playing too much too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement