Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Marin! (Good God.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Marin! (Good God.)

lol :D

Tactical genius there from Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

2 late goals at Stamford bridge and BOTH SCORED BY CHELSEA . That will do . Nervy as hell still but a win was very much needed . Luiz broke up a lot of play and played really well

Marin! (Good God.)

Good god indeed

Azil at right back had a super game

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

peteeeed wrote: »
    Azil at right back had a super game

Seemingly the Chelsea fans call him "Dave"

Lampard 198
    Tambling 202

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The scoreline deeply flattered Chelsea today. Again, this is papering over the cracks. The next Premier League game will be where that paper is ripped off and the cracks worsened (Man City away). Between that we have the two legs of the Europa League against Sparta Prague and that needless replay against Brentford in the FA Cup.

Once again, there were so many flaws in the team today and they could have been exposed far more. And they will be exposed far more by a better team (read: Man City). While the 3 points today was vital, and there were some nice moments (Hazard scoring on his comeback after the ban, Lamps scoring to edge him ever closer to that record, Marin scoring, Azpilicueta putting in a boss of a display, ditto Luiz), it does not change the fact that it could all have been so easily undone.

2-0 up, cruising, and a couple of mistakes pegged it back to 2-1. To quote Yogi Berra: it was deja vu all over again. I think everyone was waiting for Wigan to get their equaliser. And it could have happened. But for a bit of resolve and then for Super Frank to knock the wind out of their sails, Wigan looked dangerous up until it went 3-1.

There needs to be more upheaval before stability comes in.

Bartyman wrote: »
    Seemingly the Chelsea fans call him "Dave"

Yeah that nickname caught on quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Got to echo the 4-1 was flattering comments.

Although we looked good enough to see out the lead it was nervy given we went 2-0 and let a goal in about 3 mins after we scored.

3 points today was what we needed with Spurs winning and Arsenal survived a it of scare at Sunderland who had decent chances to nick a point.

Happy enough with it and good to see Hazard back but again, another goal by Lamps that effectively killed off Wigans spirit, guys a legend.

City losing 3-1.......my f**k we're currently only 4 points behind them.

Now what pi** me off more is all the points we've dropped from winning positions could have meant we'd right up there with them.

:mad:

GavRedKing wrote: »
    City losing 3-1.......my f**k we're currently only 4 points behind them.

Now what pi** me off more is all the points we've dropped from winning positions could have meant we'd right up there with them.

:mad:

That is the infuriating part of it. The one that gets to me, and will do for the rest of the season, is that the two games against QPR... had we won both, we'd have had a net gain of 5 points, and we'd be in 2nd as it stands. FOR FÚCK SAKE!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Chelsea are lucky the whole league is just plain average this season. United are going to stroll to the title playing only fairly good football, not world beaters by any means. But being so average, the Champions League places are looking secure.

Whats really annoying is in some games we've looked exceptional going forward and shaky at the back and others we've looked sturdy at the back but lacked a goal threat.

Youre right though, no team has really set the league on fire consistently but Utd as they always do and its the sign of great teams is to win games and keep picking up points.

League is theres to lose at this stage now, rest of us are playing for 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Meanwhile according to the sun...

Would ye have taken a defeat to see Rafa gone?

No. I'd rather Rafa stay and Chelsea finish in the Top 4. A run of poor results might very well see Rafa get an early axe, but could also see Chelsea slip out of the Top 4 and find it impossible to get back in there. No Champions League football next season would be an absolute, unmitigated disaster. The financial impact, the impact of making the club unattractive to potential signings and just the galling impact of failing to qualify for the Champions League for the first time in nearly a decade.

The priority this season is a Top 4 finish, above all else. I don't care how Chelsea do it.

Last season, Chelsea had the miracle in Munich to keep them in the CL for this season. Chelsea have nothing other than a Top 4 finish to keep them alive now. The only way Chelsea can be playing at Europe's top table next season is to finish as high as possible.

With Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal all sharpening their knives and looking up at the soft underbelly of both Chelsea and (possibly) Man City, every point is so precious.

Fair enough, I don't think there's many (if any) Chelsea fans who want to see Rafa there at all. But the only way to get rid is if we slump and get defeated a lot in the final few games. This would, without question, see Chelsea fall behind Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal (at least one or two of them) and out of the Top 4.

The end result of that would be: Rafa will go a bit earlier than planned and still get his big pay-day. We would bring in someone to try and salvage something, but it would be far too little, far too late. We'd finish in 5th or 6th, losing that precious Champions League spot and the financial impact and the impact on the club's appeal would be huge.

Chelsea need to win and need to outscore the chasing pack.

That all said, who knows... If City continue to implode like they are, Chelsea could get 2nd!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Nope. With a full squad and concentrating on the league, there's no reason to think we can't make the top four. It could be tight. But if the players keep it together, they could get a decent run through March. Who knows, there might even be an FA Cup it in for silverware!!

Benitez was one of the few people who would have taken a short-term contract. Let's just go with the plan and see it through to UCL football with a new manager next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

DazMarz wrote: »
    That is the infuriating part of it. The one that gets to me, and will do for the rest of the season, is that the two games against QPR... had we won both, we'd have had a net gain of 5 points, and we'd be in 2nd as it stands. FOR FÚCK SAKE!!! :mad:
    Let's not consider the 'ifs'. There are plenty of reasons why we're shipping points. One of them is the money wasted on Torres' fee and pay. That's money another club might have used to far better effect. We also have a relatively thin squad which in recent months has been depleted by injuries, suspensions and the African Nations Cup.

All things considered, it's a poor premiership and we're lucky we're still in touch with second, considering the ups and, mostly, downs of the transition. If Man C, Spurs and Arsenal were in any better shape they could have left us in the dust already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Tempting as it may have been we desperately need points so in this instance no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

You are right and its not going to be easy with Spurs and Arsenal breathing down our neck waiting for the inevitable slip ups.
    McDave wrote: »
    Let's not consider the 'ifs'. There are plenty of reasons why we're shipping points. One of them is the money wasted on Torres' fee and pay. That's money another club might have used to far better effect. We also have a relatively thin squad which in recent months has been depleted by injuries, suspensions and the African Nations Cup.

All things considered, it's a poor premiership and we're lucky we're still in touch with second, considering the ups and, mostly, downs of the transition. If Man C, Spurs and Arsenal were in any better shape they could have left us in the dust already.

Been a long time coming for Nigeria, fair play to them.

And thank god it's over too. We need Mikel and Moses back ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Much as I have little faith in him, I want Chelsea to win every game, regardless of the manager

Good weekend for some of our on loan players including a cracking goal by hazard the younger

http://thechels.net/2013/02/the-loan-report-february-4-10/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Ballague reckons we've offered 30 or 35m euros plus

Courtois for Falcao.

The other sum being touted for Falcao is £46m (€55m) plus Courtois.

Meanwhile, one I hadn't heard before is Chelsea lining up to sign a 20-year-old South Korean striker, Son Heung-min, currently playing for Hamburg in the Bundesliga.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/02/10/chelsea-in-pole-position-to-sign-young-bundesliga-striker/

Be worth it just to be able to shout "Gooooo on my Son...." when he scores.

• Advertisement

The other sum being touted for Falcao is £46m (€55m) plus Courtois.

Meanwhile, one I hadn't heard before is Chelsea lining up to sign a 20-year-old South Korean striker, Son Heung-min, currently playing for Hamburg in the Bundesliga.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/02/10/chelsea-in-pole-position-to-sign-young-bundesliga-striker/

Be worth it just to be able to shout "Gooooo on my Son...." when he scores.

Probably stay on loan for 3 years!

Probably stay on loan for 3 years!

Quite possibly! Of course, these are all summer deals now the transfer window has passed. So I'm assuming that the thinking goes Torres to leave, Falcao to come in and then it's a case of do you recall Lukaku and buy Son as well.

So that leaves a 2013-14 strike force of either Falcao, Ba and Lukaku or Falcao, Ba, Lukaku and Son.

The only time I'll take Balagues word is when I see Falcao in Blue and Courtois signing a contract with Atletico Madrid.

Huige game next week for both City and Chelsea, either side losing gives the rest a chance to catch up, I'd take a draw right now but there's no reason why we cant beat them with what will be practically a full strength squad.

If we were to beat them that would do our confidence the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

No way we can let Courtios go!! Its a crazy amount of money for Falcao WITH Courtios!!

We dont need to off load a GK of Courtios ability, Keep our best players FFS!!!!!!!!

We dont the club send Marin to Leverkusen with some cash for Shurrle. Send Torres on to Atletico for Falcao but not Courtios.......come on!!!!!

Shurrle can play as a winger but he would make an awsome striker and a better player than Marin.

The money been touted for Falcao is crazy, The chap is 27 not 22!!!!

Anyone know of the top of their heads who are SPurs and Arsenal playing at the weekend?

Also, anyoine want to guess who'll start Thursday night?

• Advertisement

Anyone know of the top of their heads who are SPurs and Arsenal playing at the weekend?

Spurs out of cup so no game Arsenal playing at home to Blackburn.

When we play City Arsenal are at home to Villa and Spurs away to the happy hammers.

As for who our interim genius starts I would say even God has given up at this stage.

The only time I'll take Balagues word is when I see Falcao in Blue and Courtois signing a contract with Atletico Madrid.

Huige game next week for both City and Chelsea, either side losing gives the rest a chance to catch up, I'd take a draw right now but there's no reason why we cant beat them with what will be practically a full strength squad.

If we were to beat them that would do our confidence the world of good.

Quite right the days that Balague had the inside line to what is happening in Spain are long since gone, more guess work and hope now.

There are excellent strikers out there for that amount of money and we get to keep Courtois, who claims to be proud to be a Chelsea player by the way. If there is to be a swap then Nando would make far more sense for players and teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

FA Cup this weekend no league games apart from Liverpool v Swansea.

Arsenal home to Villa and Spurs away to West Ham following week.

I was jumping a week ahead of myself and thought we had City this week. :rolleyes:

Well I'd still be for nursing players through the EL games and FA Cup replay before we play City.

I assume Moses and Mikel wont be seen until the City game, give them some time off, maybe a run out late on in the EL game at the Bridge.

I was jumping a week ahead of myself and thought we had City this week. :rolleyes:

Well I'd still be for nursing players through the EL games and FA Cup replay before we play City.

I assume Moses and Mikel wont be seen until the City game, give them some time off, maybe a run out late on in the EL game at the Bridge.

Don't care much for the EL so any team bar the first team would do for me.

I have a huge soft spot for the Bee's and more or less any team we put out should win at the Bridge. The real folly here is the amount of players we have out on loan in reality how much can our genius rest players?

I am assuming Paulo, Yossi, Ryan (in his proper position) and Marko should get runs also perhaps Ake and Feruz might figure. You have to wonder why was Piazon sent so late in the day to warm the bench in Malaga when we had games like these coming along.

• Advertisement

I'd argue our strongest team for the City game would be

Cech
    Ivan Cahill JT Cole
    Ramires Luiz
    Moses Mata Hazard
    Ba

That leaves us with Oscar, Lamps, Torres, Azp on the bench if we need them.

For the EL it will hopfully be something like

Turnbull
    Azp P.Ferr Ake Bertie
    Lamps Mikel
    Oscar Yossi Marin
    Torres

On Piazon, it could be a glorified trial period, if he does well and impresses, eve if its just in training they might give us first offer on Isco and take Piazon as trade.

I'd argue our strongest team for the City game would be

Cech
    Ivan Cahill JT Cole
    Ramires Luiz
    Moses Mata Hazard
    Ba

That leaves us with Oscar, Lamps, Torres, Azp on the bench if we need them.

For the EL it will hopfully be something like

Turnbull
    Azp P.Ferr Ake Bertie
    Lamps Mikel
    Marin Yossi Marin
    Torres

So Marin is twice the player Yossi is :pac:

what a day wrote: »
    No way we can let Courtios go!! Its a crazy amount of money for Falcao WITH Courtios!!

We dont need to off load a GK of Courtios ability, Keep our best players FFS!!!!!!!!

We dont the club send Marin to Leverkusen with some cash for Shurrle. Send Torres on to Atletico for Falcao but not Courtios.......come on!!!!!

Shurrle can play as a winger but he would make an awsome striker and a better player than Marin.

The money been touted for Falcao is crazy, The chap is 27 not 22!!!!

i think there could be a deal involving courtois but i would imagine chelsea would look for a further loan deal or a buy back option , would be crazy not to

So Marin is twice the player Yossi is :pac:

Meant to be Oscar wide of Yossi on the right. :o

from the evening standard

Chelsea have suffered a major blow in their search for a new permanent manager after Jurgen Klopp insisted he will not move to Stamford Bridge next season.

Jose or nobody should be what roman and the board are aiming for, drop everything and everyone for Jose.

Its a romantic notion that he'll come abck and we'll win all around us but every chelsea fan would be back on side with the club and its decision making for another while.

Give the job to Jose, let him pick his own staff, which he has brought with him throughout his career and hope Roman doesnt go over his head and do something stupid a few seasons into his contract.

peteeeed wrote: »
    from the evening standard

Chelsea have suffered a major blow in their search for a new permanent manager after Jurgen Klopp insisted he will not move to Stamford Bridge next season.

I think just about everyone expects Klopp to stay with Dortmund, but if you want to be afraid to be very afraid well here is a blog which is scary

http://www.london24.com/sport/chelsea/true_blue_i_have_a_feeling_that_benitez_will_be_at_chelsea_next_season_1_1928144

Jose or nobody should be what roman and the board are aiming for, drop everything and everyone for Jose.

Its a romantic notion that he'll come abck and we'll win all around us but every chelsea fan would be back on side with the club and its decision making for another while.

Give the job to Jose, let him pick his own staff, which he has brought with him throughout his career and hope Roman doesnt go over his head and do something stupid a few seasons into his contract.

amen

I think just about everyone expects Klopp to stay with Dortmund, but if you want to be afraid to be very afraid well here is a blog which is scary

http://www.london24.com/sport/chelsea/true_blue_i_have_a_feeling_that_benitez_will_be_at_chelsea_next_season_1_1928144

I'm just hoping that Roman and his advisors were smart enough to have a few options lined up and not just to ahve all their eggs in the Guardiola basket.

What we as fans seem to want was either Pep, Jose, Klopp, Hiddink, Ancelotti.

We know all but one name on that list is at least remotely possible and thats Jose and even that's up for debate, will Real sack him in May? More then likely, Will he join us? Remains to be seen.

If Fergie walks and Mancini is fired then he'll have 3 huge job offers you feel, although Mancini getting sacked is more likely then Fergie walking, if Utd feel that City or Chelsea are stealing a march Jose could be offered take a year or two out and walk into Old Trafford when Fergie steps down, which would be sickening. :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement