Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Easy playing Barca with 10 men

As Jose said , we always play them with 10 men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

To make things even better Barca lost 2-0 to AC. Excellent.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Phoenix wrote: »
    Sad thing is,not one of those youngsters will be given a chance in the first team proper:mad:
    I'd say some will! I have a feeling that our academy is finally beginning to bear fruit and there is some exceptional talent coming through, Bertrand is a regular player now Ake is just ready to break through and I hope Piazon will be ready to hit the ground running when he comes back in fact I can't understand why he was sent on loan because I think he's a real star already then we have Josh who I'm not sure will make it but all in all I think we have lots of prospects I think reserve all we need is some stability at the top.

Lamps & Ivanovic rested, Ba cup tied.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2013/0221/1224330310568.html

Winners play either Ajax or Steaua B.

Hoping we can do and without breaking too much sweat for the City game.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I'd say some will! I have a feeling that our academy is finally beginning to bear fruit and there is some exceptional talent coming through, Bertrand is a regular player now Ake is just ready to break through and I hope Piazon will be ready to hit the ground running when he comes back in fact I can't understand why he was sent on loan because I think he's a real star already then we have Josh who I'm not sure will make it but all in all I think we have lots of prospects I think reserve all we need is some stability at the top.
    ake is in line to get some game time tonight according to chelsea tv during the youth team game commentary last night

with Barca on the brink of going out and Real not in a favourable position either the UCL could be very open for the teams left in it and where are we? :rolleyes:

Arguably we'd have got a tough draw had we got through with Borussia and Celtic both waiting but f**k me, if both Real and Barca go out, the competition will be up for grabs between about 4 or 5 teams, Utd, Bayern, AC Milan, Juventus and maybe Borussia if they can beat Shakthar.

This pi**es me right off. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Wouldn't count either Barca or RM out just yet both ties still up for grabs.

But that being said I can't see past a German winner this season but don't know if it will be Dortmund or Munich, I have thought Dortmund all season but Munich are a pretty decent team as well.

are we still the top scorers in the champions league with 16?

• Advertisement

True, neither Spanish team are out yet but if they both get K/O'd the rest of the clubs will look at it as a huge chance, both Barca and Real made the Semi's last year and if they go out 2 rounds earlier that gives others a huge chance.

If I was betting I'd put money on Bayern before dortmund but you just never know how the draw will play out.

PSG could have an outside chance too, if anyone can get a UCL out of that group its Carlo.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    True, neither Spanish team are out yet but if they both get K/O'd the rest of the clubs will look at it as a huge chance, both Barca and Real made the Semi's last year and if they go out 2 rounds earlier that gives others a huge chance.

If I was betting I'd put money on Bayern before dortmund but you just never know how the draw will play out.

PSG could have an outside chance too, if anyone can get a UCL out of that group its Carlo.

juve are my tip , defense is so good , i could see them soaking up what most teams can throw at them

All depends on the draw for the next round really.

The only teams that are definitely going through at the moment are Juventus, Bayern.

I just cant see Celtic or Arsenal turning around the results away from home to go through.

PSG are in a very good position also, 2-1 up, 2 away goals.

The rest of the games are in the balance which should make for some good games, Dortmund v Shakthar, Malaga v Porto, Utd v Real.

If Barca can score early in the Camp Nou AC Milan could easily crumble under the pressure, Barca have to play well above and beyond what they did last night to even get back into the tie and that could leave them open at the back, if they ship 1 they have to score 4.

All depends on the draw for the next round really.

The only teams that are definitely going through at the moment are Juventus, Bayern.

I just cant see Celtic or Arsenal turning around the results away from home to go through.

PSG are in a very good position also, 2-1 up, 2 away goals.

The rest of the games are in the balance which should make for some good games, Dortmund v Shakthar, Malaga v Porto, Utd v Real.

If Barca can score early in the Camp Nou AC Milan could easily crumble under the pressure, Barca have to play well above and beyond what they did last night to even get back into the tie and that could leave them open at the back, if they ship 1 they have to score 4.
    yeah that 2nd leg in the nou camp will bring back great memories for chelsea fans everywhere

I dont think my heart could take another night of going down 2-0 and 10 men before Ramires scored a wonder goal and then Cesc diving for a penalty that Messi missed before Torres wrapped it all up.

Actually, I could, that was a great night. :pac:

I dont think my heart could take another night of going down 2-0 and 10 men before Ramires scored a wonder goal and then Cesc diving for a penalty that Messi missed before Torres wrapped it all up.

Actually, I could, that was a great night. :pac:

i nearly ate the entire coach waiting for torres to trip over . when you think about what happened that night , 2-0 away to barca with 10 men . magical , i hadnt had a moment like that since wayne bridge scored at highbury

• Advertisement

Did anyone notice how unsporting Barca were again in the Next Gen cup defeat by 10 man Chelsea last night. As the Chelsea players were celebrating the second goal just as the match went into injury time (lovely goal by Boga played well last night that lad) a Barca player kicked the ball at his head as he lay on the floor. Had that been a Chelsea player almost certainly a red but only a yellow for the Barca player.

It would be really funny if Barca went out you could almost hear the groans form UEFA in Kerry I bet.

I cant see a Spanish team winning it but PSG would not really surprise me neither good side with an excellent manager. Dont think Juve have what it takes but they are resolute for sure.

I think Dortmund have a side and a manager capable of winning it just not sure if they will have the stamina. If I was putting money on it yea would most likely err on the side of caution and pop it on Munich, would be an excellent way for the manager to bow out.

Did anyone notice how unsporting Barca were again in the Next Gen cup defeat by 10 man Chelsea last night. As the Chelsea players were celebrating the second goal just as the match went into injury time (lovely goal by Boga played well last night that lad) a Barca player kicked the ball at his head as he lay on the floor. Had that been a Chelsea player almost certainly a red but only a yellow for the Barca player.

yeah fair play to the chelsea lads kept their cool, its a farce that all the officials were from barcelona .

peteeeed wrote: »
    i nearly ate the entire coach waiting for torres to trip over . when you think about what happened that night , 2-0 away to barca with 10 men . magical , i hadnt had a moment like that since wayne bridge scored at highbury

Aaahh Wayne Bridge, very good FB, was replaced be an excellent FB unlucky for him but that was a great night also, his finsih was very good.

Ya not many teams come back in those situations, Lamps taking the ball from Messi and sliping in a perfect ball for Ramires to chip Valdes from the egde of the box, at the time I was stunned that A) Ramires had made the run from RB as Bosingwa was playing CB with Ivanovic after Cahill went off injured and B) that he even attempted the chip and left Valdes stranded.
    It would be really funny if Barca went out you could almost hear the groans form UEFA in Kerry I bet.

If they do go out then a lot of teams will fancy their chances. Milan have to put in another brillant effort to see the tie out but if they nick an away goal I think its all over for Barca.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

20130220-173033.jpg

not sure if already posted, next seasons jersey ?

Looks quite nice.

• Advertisement

Kinda like a Schalke Jersey, nice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

"Celery! Representing Chelsea In The 1980s" ...... kindle edition now out there

http://www.chelseasupportersgroup.net/2013/02/celery-representing-chelsea-in-the-1980s/

THE GLORY DAYS! (from behind the electric fence)

Be glad to see the back of the current shirt I think the gold looks a bit ganky.

Be glad to see the back of the current shirt I think the gold looks a bit ganky.

I preferred the one we won the UCL in alright, felt and looked better IMO.

So we have signed another small attacking midfielder!
    Cuevas

Chilean midfielder Cristian Cuevas has confirmed reports that he has agreed a summer switch to Chelsea.
    The Blues had been following the talented footballer for quite a while and they decided to make their move after he impressed at the Under-20 South American Championship.
    Cuevas, 17, also had a successful trial at Stamford Bridge in November and he now reveals the summer move to Chelsea has been agreed.
    “Everything went very quickly and was sorted out this week,” the youngster told Radio Cooperativa. “It will be a big change. But, I am calm and very happy.”
    L’Equipe understands Chelsea have agreed to pay €1.9 million for Cuevas, but the date of the transfer has yet to be determined.
    The midfielder is set to take part in the Under-17 World Cup in the summer and is likely to join the Blues after the tournament.
    Despite his fragile age, Cuevas had an important role to play for Chile at the Under-20 South American Championship, starting 8 games and scoring 2 goals in the process.

He'll probably stay with them for a year on loan before he moves to Europe and even then he could be loaned out to a feeder club for another year, he wont see playing time for us for about 2 or 3 years I reckon, like all our youngsters we sign.

:pac:

Almost missed this one!

European Champions League holders Chelsea made the trip from London to Mullingar recently to build a relationship with Ireland’s rural soccer family.

On the invitation of Ray Geoghegan, a coach at Mullingar Athletic, representatives from the Stamford Bridge club hosted a presentation at Gainstown, detailing Chelsea’s football development philosophy and infrastructure.

Other local clubs were invited to attend the presentation, and to share in what was a significant event for the profile of soccer in Westmeath.

Having commended Mullingar Athletic on their facilities and their pursuit of player development, Chelsea’s Academy representatives – among them Darren Grace (head of local recruitment), academy coach Ian Howell, scout Fiona Armfield and development centre co-ordinator Ben Knight – outlined Chelsea’s player development pyramid.

Chelsea now seeks to forge pathways for what they consider to be the untapped talent in rural Ireland, with clubs in counties like Westmeath playing a central part.

More than 30 coaches attended a fruitful night and were happy to come away knowing that their players were now potentially on the scouting radar.

“This is an exciting prospect for Mullingar Athletic, and it underlines the progress made in building a much admired coaching structure unrivalled locally,” said a Mullingar Athletic club spokesperson.

http://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/news/roundup/articles/2013/02/20/4014534-chelsea-search-here-for-talent/

Bartyman wrote: »
    20130220-173033.jpg

not sure if already posted, next seasons jersey ?

Looks quite nice.

and this is the away apparently
    chelsea-away-shirt-600x375.jpg

"Celery! Representing Chelsea In The 1980s" ...... kindle edition now out there

http://www.chelseasupportersgroup.net/2013/02/celery-representing-chelsea-in-the-1980s/

THE GLORY DAYS! (from behind the electric fence)

i was just reading about this, looks good

• Advertisement

If those jerseys are real,I'll deffo buy both,oh and tonight's match thread here :cool:
    KTBFF

Buy the away one and go to your local Celtic supporter bar,they'll love the colour scheme. :p

Do you remember the home jersey from 02?I was walking down town with it and some lads in celtic gear assumed I was a Rangers fan and started to mouth off:confused:

Was that the all blue Umbro one with the old crest?

TBF sometimes fans and brains rarely go together, across all clubs.

the spainish press reaction to the youth cup game last night

Sport
    Barcelona daily Sport focused on the craft of the young Chelsea side:
    "If last season it was Ajax who ended the dreams of the young Barcelona players, today it was Chelsea who left them KO'd. Chelsea demonstrated that they are a tidy side with craft. Little by little, Barcelona's ideas in attack became diluted as Chelsea began to get closer to their goal. Feruz gave a warning in the 31st minute with a shot that went over the bar, and the same player scored the first goal in the 42nd minute. Though in the second half Barcelona managed to get close to the Chelsea box relatively easily, it is also true that they didn't really create great opportunities on goal. That's how it played out until the final 10 minutes. It looked like the leveller would arrive, but in the 90th minute Chelsea launched a counter-attack and Boga scored the second to end the tie."
    Barcelona
    The official Barcelona website focused on Chelsea's surprising quality on the ball:
    "The first half was somewhat timid. Surprisingly, in the opening minutes Chelsea dominated the ball, making the Barcelona side uncomfortable in playing without it on their own pitch. Indeed, Chelsea, despite having some moments of discomfort, rarely relinquished possession. With great defensive organisation, they showed good signs of being able to bring the ball out from the back, and of the danger provided by their right back, Kane, who almost surprised Barca keeper Ondoa with a shot. Just before half time, another move of his ended with Feruz scoring."
    El Punt Avui
    The Catalan daily newspaper was equally impressed with Chelsea's possession, with a headline that read 'Chelsea: Executioners of Barca in Europe'.
    "The Blaugrana were clearly bettered in the first half, in which the English side dominated the possession of the ball and got in on goal easier than the home side."
    Mundo Deportivo
    One of the biggest sports papers in Barcelona, Mundo Deportivo, highlighted the quality of Chelsea attacker Jeremie Boga:
    "In the first half, Barcelona lost the ball in the middle of the pitch and the English side launched a counter-attack through Boga. The number 10 opened the play to the right for Kane, and the fullback handed the goal on a plate to Feruz, who from an offside position, only had to will the ball on to the back of the net. In the second half, it was Chelsea who took advantage of Barcelona pouring forward in attack by scoring the second goal to end the tie. Boga, one of the best players for the English side, was the author of the goal that drew a line under the game."
    Perarnau Magazine
    The Spanish equivalent of Zonal Marking was blown away by Boga's talent:
    "Jeremy Boga, born on January 1997, is 16 years old. At the minimum age required to play in this competition, he was the epicentre and nervous system of Chelsea. With a few minutes left, in the middle of a period where the Barcelona side were attacking with full force, Boga silenced the Mini Estadi. Latching onto the ball on the right wing, he penetrated the area, and with nothing more complicated than a feint and a hard right-footed shot he notched up the second Chelsea goal, putting an end to Barcelona's story in the competition."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Steaua in the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Steaua in the next round. Couldn't have been a better draw really. Surely we'll make the last 8 now.

With luck like tonight, Kings of Europe again maybe? :p

Didnt see the game was out, sounded like we poxed it but how bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Almost missed this one!

European Champions League holders Chelsea made the trip from London to Mullingar recently to build a relationship with Ireland’s rural soccer family.

On the invitation of Ray Geoghegan, a coach at Mullingar Athletic, representatives from the Stamford Bridge club hosted a presentation at Gainstown, detailing Chelsea’s football development philosophy and infrastructure.

Other local clubs were invited to attend the presentation, and to share in what was a significant event for the profile of soccer in Westmeath.

Having commended Mullingar Athletic on their facilities and their pursuit of player development, Chelsea’s Academy representatives – among them Darren Grace (head of local recruitment), academy coach Ian Howell, scout Fiona Armfield and development centre co-ordinator Ben Knight – outlined Chelsea’s player development pyramid.

Chelsea now seeks to forge pathways for what they consider to be the untapped talent in rural Ireland, with clubs in counties like Westmeath playing a central part.

More than 30 coaches attended a fruitful night and were happy to come away knowing that their players were now potentially on the scouting radar.

“This is an exciting prospect for Mullingar Athletic, and it underlines the progress made in building a much admired coaching structure unrivalled locally,” said a Mullingar Athletic club spokesperson.

http://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/news/roundup/articles/2013/02/20/4014534-chelsea-search-here-for-talent/

A friend of mine was up at this with his son. Great to hear the youngesters in the midlands are gettin looked at, some good players in and around the midlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

After a burst of goals from Torres shortly after Rafa took over, Torres is now back to 1 goal in his last 14 appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Duck Soup wrote: »
    After a burst of goals from Torres shortly after Rafa took over, Torres is now back to 1 goal in his last 14 appearances.

I was once a defender of Torres.. but as one poster on this said to me before, Torres has alot of false dawns... 5 or 6 games where he looks very good.. and then its back to the same old stuff for the next 20!

Tired of it now..

Also Steaua in the last 16 is brilliant.. lets hope we dont make hard work of them too!!

The likely quarter-final line up is:

Fenerbache
    Benfica
    Anzhi
    Lazio/Stuttgart
    Spurs/Inter
    Rubin Kazan
    Zenit
    Chelsea

Have to be fairly big favourites to win it now..

Only thing thats worrying me is Torres' form and Rafa's rotation..
    Europa has to be taken seriously now IMO!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Also Steaua in the last 16 is brilliant.. lets hope we dont make hard work of them too!!

The likely quarter-final line up is:

Fenerbache
    Benfica
    Anzhi
    Lazio/Stuttgart
    Spurs/Inter
    Rubin Kazan
    Zenit
    Chelsea

Have to be fairly big favourites to win it now..

Only thing thats worrying me is Torres' form and Rafa's rotation..
    Europa has to be taken seriously now IMO!

I would not be so hasty thinking its a done deal ,

With Rafa at Torres at the helm , anything could happen , Torres attitude tonight seemed to have a negative effect on the team.

Do we not have a youth that could replace him for these games , cause he needs a massive kick up the arse

I would not be so hasty thinking its a done deal ,

With Rafa at Torres at the helm , anything could happen , Torres attitude tonight seemed to have a negative effect on the team.

Do we not have a youth that could replace him for these games , cause he needs a massive kick up the arse

Dont think its a done deal at all.. Ive just said im worried about Rafa and Fernando!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Like M&G, I've long been both admirer and defender of Torres, but something's become increasingly apparent. His head's just not in it.

For me, the defining moment was his reaction at winning arguably the biggest prize in world club football, the Champion's League. His reaction was...meh. And he does it on the rare occasion these days when he scores. Contrast and compare that with Hazard's reaction tonight or Drog's reaction at any point in a blue shirt. Simple, unrestrained, exuberant joy. And Nando? Meh.

I know it is the Daily Mail but if this story is true you have to wonder the mentality of the people running our club.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2282449/Chelsea-crackdown-Rafa-Benitez-Jose-Mourinho-banners-Sparta-Prague-tie.html

I'm actually surprised the Rafa Out banner was allowed to stay up in the first place.

Banners that are fixed to the stadium, so to speak are there at the discretion of the club and they have every right to take them down.

Now, if a fan happens to bring in a banner and display it while holding it I can understand why people would be pi**ed off with that approach.

Small piece on the BBC website, Zola reckons Chalobah will be a big player for the future for us.

Any idea when Spurs will release a DVD of their 90 minute equaliser?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement