Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd actually like to see something like this team next year :

Courtois

Azp Luiz Cahill Cole

Josh

KDB Oscar

Mata Ba Hazard

Josh to anchor midfield, Oscar and De Bruyne to provide creative flair with Hazard and Mata supporting Ba who would have Lukaku running him close for a start.

Our bench :

Cech
    Terry
    Ake
    Bertrand
    Piazon
    Moses
    Lukaku

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

If Jose comes back he has a backroom staff of about 3 or 4 that he goes everywhere with, that would see a few changes at the club I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Rafa did an exclusive interview with BBC this afternoon.
    I'm sure they'll release snippets of it before it's aired.
    I think one of them is that he has an 18 month contract but will be gone in May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If Jose comes back he has a backroom staff of about 3 or 4 that he goes everywhere with, that would see a few changes at the club I reckon.

Whilst I think Jose would have a pretty immediate impact if he came back, how long do Chelsea supporters think he would stay?

Would he return for three or four years of serious silverware and then the cycle of quick changes returns once he leaves?

Have said it on here before that regular managerial changes at Chelsea have been the norm at the club for quite some time before Roman even got near the club, but given the club's spectacular rise since Roman (and the rise in expectations/standards that followed) the managerial merry go round at the Bridge attracts more attention than it once did. Of course the advent of 24 hour intrusive media outlets and the internet plays a part as well.

But I really would wonder about Jose coming back. For me he would be a band aid solution (albeit a brilliant one) to a club that would benefit so much from a longer term solution.

For me, the sacking of Carlo Ancelotti was a big mistake, and once that mistake was made I think someone like van Gaal should have been chased in 2011. I think that is the calibre of manager that Chelsea need to be going after if backing a young talented manager like AVB is not going to happen. The treatment of AVB would be why I think the likes of Klopp would have no interest in the Chelsea job.

Chelsea this summer need a big strong personality that comes with great talent. Jose ticks those boxes but I think an excellent alternative would be the older van Gaal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Kess73 wrote: »
    Whilst I think Jose would have a pretty immediate impact if he came back, how long do Chelsea supporters think he would stay?

Would he return for three or four years of serious silverware and then the cycle of quick changes returns once he leaves?

Have said it on here before that regular managerial changes at Chelsea have been the norm at the club for quite some time before Roman even got near the club, but given the club's spectacular rise since Roman (and the rise in expectations/standards that followed) the managerial merry go round at the Bridge attracts more attention than it once did. Of course the advent of 24 hour intrusive media outlets and the internet plays a part as well.

But I really would wonder about Jose coming back. For me he would be a band aid solution (albeit a brilliant one) to a club that would benefit so much from a longer term solution.

For me, the sacking of Carlo Ancelotti was a big mistake, and once that mistake was made I think someone like van Gaal should have been chased in 2011. I think that is the calibre of manager that Chelsea need to be going after if backing a young talented manager like AVB is not going to happen. The treatment of AVB would be why I think the likes of Klopp would have no interest in the Chelsea job.

Chelsea this summer need a big strong personality that comes with great talent. Jose ticks those boxes but I think an excellent alternative would be the older van Gaal.

I am not convinced that Jose is coming back I am just not sure RA does reunions or repeats. I would fully agree with your post the sacking of Carlo was neigh on unforgivable really.

Perhaps an old head and a young head might be an idea or else an up and coming manager such as Simone but if they are only given a year then it does not really matter who we get does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The best way forward for Chelsea as far as I can see it is for Abramovich to continue to pump money into the club (as much as FFP will allow) while relinquishing all say in the running of the club. They really need to install someone sensible to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I'm just going to ignore all the Benitez stuff, it just seems to be a never-ending merry-go-round at this stage...
    I'd actually like to see something like this team next year :

Courtois

Azp Luiz Cahill Cole

Josh

KDB Oscar

Mata Ba Hazard

Josh to anchor midfield, Oscar and De Bruyne to provide creative flair with Hazard and Mata supporting Ba who would have Lukaku running him close for a start.

Our bench :

Cech
    Terry
    Ake
    Bertrand
    Piazon
    Moses
    Lukaku

That squad is about right but that starting 11 is insanely attacking and pretty lightweight too? I think there's a definite need for some muscle in midfield, and I don't think Oscar or KDB are suited to CM at all? For me it would be

____________Cech (Courtois the season after)
    Dave___Cahill___Terry/Ivan___Cole
    __________Luiz/Mikel____________
    ____Lamps/Ramires____???_______
    Mata_____________________Hazard
    _____________Ba_______________

Lukaku, KdB, Bertrand, Oscar, Moses, Piazon and Josh giving us some decent options off the bench.

imo we need 1 CB (or put faith in one of our young ones and play them) and 1 CM (preferably someone who can put their weight around a bit). And if we sign another winger/#10 we need our heads looking at. So much quality waiting to come through!

We played at our best under Mourinho with 4-3-3 and a strong/big midfield of Essien, Lampard and Ballack. A revamped version of that with Luiz, Lampard and someone else and I would be very happy.

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    Rafa did an exclusive interview with BBC this afternoon.
    I'm sure they'll release snippets of it before it's aired.
    I think one of them is that he has an 18 month contract but will be gone in May

Its nothing earth shattering

Chelsea interim boss Rafael Benitez says he has an "excellent" relationship with owner Roman Abramovich and will remain at the club until the summer.

The Spaniard criticised some of the club's fans following Wednesday's 2-0 FA Cup win at Middlesbrough and also said he would leave in May.

"My relationship with Roman is very good," he told BBC Sport's Dan Walker.

When asked if he would be sacked: "No. They know how we work and what we are trying to do."

He added: "The players are really happy in what we are trying to do. Sometimes you win, sometimes you cannot.

"The atmosphere in the club is really good. There are no issues in the team. In terms of what we do, the players are fully behind the methods.

"If we stick together and support the players we will be able to win games. Then at the end of the season I will leave and then they can criticise."

The 52-year-old's assertion he will still be at Stamford Bridge until the end of the season will come as a surprise to some observers, who believe Benitez's outburst has increased the pressure on him.

He said on Wednesday that the decision of the club to give the title of "interim manager" was a "massive mistake" and that the Chelsea fans were "wasting their time" in protesting against him.

"We still have 11 games to play in the Premier League, and we have the FA Cup and the Europa League," he continued.

"Everyone knows I will finish my contract at the end of the season.

"So this group of fans, who are singing and creating banners, have to concentrate on supporting the team. The rest of the fans, the majority of fans, know the way to help the team is by supporting the players.

"I'm thinking about my team and my club - I want to win every game. I've tried to explain the way is to support the team in every single game.
    "We were winning yesterday [against Middlesbrough] and still they were singing - I think that will not do our team any favours."

Benitez has been unpopular with some Blues fans since he took over from Champions League-winning manager Roberto Di Matteo in November.

A section of the club's supporters has been unable to forgive or forget Benitez for his association with Liverpool, and the rivalry formed with then Blues boss Jose Mourinho.

As Liverpool manager, Benitez outwitted Mourinho in the 2005 and 2007 Champions League semi-finals and the 2006 FA Cup semi-finals, and directed some criticism towards his current club.

Earlier this week, reports emerged from Stamford Bridge that Benitez was involved in a heated exchange with members of his squad following their 2-0 defeat at Manchester City on Sunday.

He denied those stories, saying: "The players are fully behind our ideas, 100%."

Theres even a conspiracy theory that it was all scripted by Chelsea for him to tell us off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Excellent article (imo for anyone thinking I meant this as a proven fact ;) )

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/feb/28/chelsea-rafael-benitez-roman-abramovich?CMP=twt_gu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Phoenix wrote: »
    Im not suprised Benitez said what he did,I didntt agree with his appointment,RDM shouldnt have been sacked but the fans have to take into account their behaviour isnt helping the team what so ever.
    On a human level Benitez has been treated appallingly. Nobody has to like him. But the behaviour of certain fans just makes them look like a bunch of Neanderthal knackers. No doubt they've cost their team a few points, whose loss we may well come to rue by season's end.

It wasn't Benitez who got CFC into this quandary. It was RA's decision-making over a much longer timeframe. So, for Christ's sake, just let RB get on with the rest of the season and take the outcome on the chin. With luck and application we can get third or fourth and maybe even a trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Grant OUT (just getting it in early)

Dead before he hit the ground! :pac:

greendom wrote: »
    The best way forward for Chelsea as far as I can see it is for Abramovich to continue to pump money into the club (as much as FFP will allow) while relinquishing all say in the running of the club. They really need to install someone sensible to do that.

I would love to see some of the players out on loan or in the academy with less reliance on huge big marquee signings. Don't get me wrong great signing big name players but it would be lovely to see some young lads coming through.

Will RA take a back seat hmmmm I would agree it is what we need but will it happen, serious doubts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Don't get me wrong I'm no fan of Raffa and was gutted when Robbie was sacked but like it or lump it every Chelsea fan has to get behind him for the good of the team, as he said there is only 11 games left in the league and we easily have enough quality to finish top 4 if we show a little solidarity! The last thing we need now is to go hunting for another stop gap manager to fill in whilst we wait for whatever superstar gaffer to come in the summer because all the quality managers are tied up mid season, hell that's the reason we were stuck with Raffa in the first place.
    Raffa always seems to explode in a press conference when the pressure is getting to him but in all fairness even tho I didn't hear all the interview last night whatever bits I did hear I think he was right it has to be incredibly damaging to the team to have to play in that atmosphere in you're own home and in my opinion if we fail to reach the champions league next year it's that section of fans that will be to blame rather than Raffa because ultimately those 3 points we were loosing against the mid table teams at home are the points that are going to cost us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I didn't get to see the whole game, how did Ake get on overall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Panthro wrote: »

only saw the second half myself but I taught he looked very good.

Is this supportive?

"Rafa, Rafa, give us a Rave"

"Torres, Torres, give us a goal, and try and look interested and like you know what you are doing please"

"He comes from Spain, he thinks us fans are a pain, because we complain, but you Rafa are so so vain, you probably think this song is about you, you walked into the Bridge like you were walking onto Romans yacht.
    We had some dreams, they were clouds in our beer, clouds in our beer, you had one eye on the real madred job the other one on the pies.
    cos your so vain, you probably think this song is about you......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Step away from the alcohol Sgt!:pac:

Happy day. Many happy returns on the day Josh 20 years old now no longer a teenage hopeful

Sad day. RIP Ossie 7 years today the legend left unexpectedly

• Advertisement

Happy day. Many happy returns on the day Josh 20 years old now no longer a teenage hopeful

Sad day. RIP Ossie 7 years today the legend left unexpectedly

Still only 20? :eek:

He better be given game time next year.....or else. :mad:

I see steve clarke is being touted as a potential candidate for the job.

What are the odds Rafa will go on another little rant today? If the media push him I wouldnt be surprised really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i worry about tomorrows atmosphere , its a vital 3 points and if the fans really do make it hostile for rafa it will affect the team

Rafa will ahve to let the players know that its him the fans are after not the players.

If the players can do the talking on the pitch and win games then that will silence the crowd some what.

He really needs everybody on board and they should be, it's their futures, if we finish outside the top 4 they only have themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Panthro wrote: »

Ake should have got MOTM IMO

He was brilliant in deep midfield, very composed on the ball and passed superb. Seems like he has brains to match his ability too in his passing and movement for such a young age.
    Suprizingly good in the air too. He really has to get more game time after that performance.
    I watched the whole game and took special note on him. Very promising signs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Still only 20? :eek:

He better be given game time next year.....or else. :mad:

When you look at the young players we have in the squad plus the players we have on loan the future looks bright! We have to start holding on to 2 or 3 young players that are on loan and play a bunch of them together in the Carling Cup and some of the PL/FA cup games.

Well of all the players that will be coming back, Josh, JDB, Courtois could all start next year, they wont, but they could easily.

I've no problem with Courtois going on one mroe loan deal but part of me wouldnt mind cashing in on Cech now and playing Courtois next year.

But then who would he go to? PSG maybe? AC Milan, cant see them coughing up the money, Barca to replace Valdes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

good article...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/feb/28/rafael-benitez-chelsea1

I presume its Lampard as the player he's referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Although WBA are doing well, this is a game we really should be winning, Lukaku not playing is a big plus for us. Hopefully we score an early goal so it'll keep the crowd happy.

I dont think we'll lose Saturday but that leaves 3 possible outcomes.

1) frustrating game when it gets to the 70 min mark 0-0 and we draw
    2) we come out attacking, take the lead and end up getting pegged back and draw
    3) blitz WBA and win the game by 2 or 3.

I'm hoping for option 3 but I can see option 2 happening. :(

• Advertisement

JT needs to play , along with frank, hazard, mata, ba and oscar or moses(who had a great game on weds) , JT is the most important as he is the leader on the pitch and we will need them tomorrow . early goal is very much needed

So....

Cech
    Ivan Cahill JT Cole
    Luiz Lamps
    Moses Mata Hazard
    Ba

Lukaku out gives us a really good chance, Long is a nuisance but Cahill should be up to the task.

Actually on a side note, Utd have offered Giggs a one year deal.

Now what other club should offer their legend a one year deal.....hhhhmmmmmm.

So....

Cech
    Ivan Cahill JT Cole
    Luiz Lamps
    Moses Mata Hazard
    Ba

Lukaku out gives us a really good chance, Long is a nuisance but Cahill should be up to the task.

thats about right, cahill had a great game last sunday . luiz was poor last sunday in that position, mikel and lamps is too slow in the middle so luiz or ramieres to play along side frank

Anything to be said for a CM of Luiz and Ramires?

We need a quick tempo, anything but Ramires on the wing and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Technical director Michael Emenalo is "a man routinely referred to as Barry Manilow by the players" while "senior players have spoken to the manager and told him the training is not good enough for a club of Chelsea’s ambitions."

From todays Mail I think.

:)

bullpost wrote: »
    Technical director Michael Emenalo is "a man routinely referred to as Barry Manilow by the players" while "senior players have spoken to the manager and told him the training is not good enough for a club of Chelsea’s ambitions."

From todays Mail I think.

:)

Barry Manilow? :confused:

Anything to be said for a CM of Luiz and Ramires?

We need a quick tempo, anything but Ramires on the wing and I'll be happy.

yeah that works but lamps is in good goal scoring form at the moment and also lamps acoring his 200th goal might get the crowd positive

peteeeed wrote: »
    yeah that works but lamps is in good goal scoring form at the moment and also lamps acoring his 200th goal might get the crowd positive

Except for that bloody peno miss. :mad: :(

Be good if Lamps could get 200 and 201 against WBA just to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Except for that bloody peno miss. :mad: :(

Be good if Lamps could get 200 and 201 against WBA just to be sure.

Ah sure a hatrick and 202.
    A win be nice and unsure if better to have arsenal draw or lose. With the way chelsea are playing may be better to put more distance between Arsena then fight spurs for 3rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Ah sure a hatrick and 202.
    A win be nice and unsure if better to have arsenal draw or lose. With the way chelsea are playing may be better to put more distance between Arsena then fight spurs for 3rd

100% agree, best result would be us to win and spurs to win, I feel wrong fro saying that.

LanceStorm wrote: »

Rafa does need to go, but it will be in May when the season is over, until then all we can do is hope he can do the right thing and motivate the players to ensure they finish top 4 for a UCL place next season.

No manager in Roman's era will come under more pressure then the next guy in the door after Rafa.

He'll have to :

Win trophies.
    Keep the players onside and not lose the dressing room.
    Play good football.
    Bleed in some youth.
    Re-establish Chelsea as force.

All of that has to be done while hitting the ground running, managers dont get 2, 3 years at Cheslea, you get months and if you havent at leaast done one fo the above you'll be shafted.

Someone posted a link saying the players were complaining that training was to easy, by and large its the same group who complained about AVB's training being to difficult.

They've to bloody cope on and be professional and win some games.

from teamtalk.com
    Rafael Benitez: Faced a packed press conference in the wake of his outburst

Interim manager Rafael Benitez has defended his outburst at Chelsea fans, insisting he was acting in the club's best interests.

Benitez is set to face renewed fury at Stamford Bridge on Saturday after an angry post-match interview at Middlesbrough during which he claimed their disaffection towards him was damaging the club.

The Spaniard, who has faced vociferous abuse from large sections of the support since he took charge in November, also hit out at the Chelsea hierarchy for giving him the title of "interim" manager.

But, ahead of the visit of West Brom, he used his pre-match press conference to try and rally supporters - as well as insist his relationship with the board remained strong.

"We have 11 games to play, that means 33 points," Benitez said.

"If we stick together behind the team it will be easier for us to get points. Fans can express their feelings but I would like to see a fantastic atmosphere supporting the team.

"If you remember the games against Napoli and Arsenal, you had everyone behind the team pushing. The players were running an extra mile.

"The message was very clear. Together, it will be easier to win games to get points, to be in the top four, top three, or maybe top two. That was my idea. What I want to do is the best for the team and the best for the club."

Benitez refused to say whether or not he had been summoned by owner Roman Abramovich following his criticisms but denied suggestions he had burned bridges.

"I don't have any problem with anyone. With the owner, the board, the players, Emenalo (Michael, technical director), nothing," Benitez added.

"I finish my contract until the end and I do not want to be a distraction."

peteeeed wrote: »
    from teamtalk.com
    Rafael Benitez: Faced a packed press conference in the wake of his outburst

Interim manager Rafael Benitez has defended his outburst at Chelsea fans, insisting he was acting in the club's best interests.

Benitez is set to face renewed fury at Stamford Bridge on Saturday after an angry post-match interview at Middlesbrough during which he claimed their disaffection towards him was damaging the club.

The Spaniard, who has faced vociferous abuse from large sections of the support since he took charge in November, also hit out at the Chelsea hierarchy for giving him the title of "interim" manager.

But, ahead of the visit of West Brom, he used his pre-match press conference to try and rally supporters - as well as insist his relationship with the board remained strong.

"We have 11 games to play, that means 33 points," Benitez said.

"If we stick together behind the team it will be easier for us to get points. Fans can express their feelings but I would like to see a fantastic atmosphere supporting the team.

"If you remember the games against Napoli and Arsenal, you had everyone behind the team pushing. The players were running an extra mile.

"The message was very clear. Together, it will be easier to win games to get points, to be in the top four, top three, or maybe top two. That was my idea. What I want to do is the best for the team and the best for the club."

Benitez refused to say whether or not he had been summoned by owner Roman Abramovich following his criticisms but denied suggestions he had burned bridges.

"I don't have any problem with anyone. With the owner, the board, the players, Emenalo (Michael, technical director), nothing," Benitez added.

"I finish my contract until the end and I do not want to be a distraction."

So true, we need to be behind the team, forget about Rafa for a minute, the guy is gone soon, support the team, the XI out on the pitch and playing for the jersey and we'll do good.

Spurs coming to Stamford Bridge could be huge too, we could potentially leap frog them if we're 1 or 2 points behind them going into that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Should we promote the young strikers to give us more teeth?

Just play Ba in every league game maybe push one of the youngsters into the EL squad, if they're registered for it.

At the momen neither Ba or Torres are scoring, they're doing well enough for the team but not enough.

Just play Ba in every league game maybe push one of the youngsters into the EL squad, if they're registered for it.

At the momen neither Ba or Torres are scoring, they're doing well enough for the team but not enough.

Change tactics and play both in a 4-3-3?, for the love of God please something different Rafa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Anyone got a spare ticket for today's game?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement