Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

When we lost 3-1 to utd early enough in AVB's reign we had countless chances to score, Ramries and Sturridge missed sitters while Torres after an excellent goal....well he missed an open goal. :pac:

At the other end we were wide open but if we can strike a balance somewhere between the two we can beat Utd IMO.

Utd have the league practically wrapped up, after tonight they could be going for a treble come Sunday or a League & Cup double, they'll be well up for this game and after the game at Stamford Bridge, to borrow a line from Kev Keegan, I'd love if we beat 'um.....but I'd rather beat them and take 3 points against in the league.

New transfer target for me......Ronaldo.

Get Jose in give him whatever it takes to get Ronaldo, play Ronaldo upfront, sorted.

:p

It'll never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I wont mind if Utd go through tonight as long as Barca dont. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I'm actually serious when I say that I hope United go through tonight.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't piss on Old Trafford if it was on fire, but if United do Real, Special One's position at Real becomes more difficult. Hope there??? I doubt he'd come back to Chelsea, but you never know.

Also, if AC knock Barca out, I'll be laughing until this time next year. I'd be so happy with that. Imagine; if Real and Barca go out, two of the pre-tournament favourites gone very early.

• Advertisement

I'd be very surprised if Jose is kept on at the Bernabeu regardless of what happens this season I reckon he's gone in the summer.

I can only imagine the nerves of United fans. Cracking game so far for it.

Also, I've scoured the internet and cannot find a definitive answer to this: Ryan Giggs, with his 1000 apps for United tonight; is he the record holder for the most appearances for a single club? Maldini was on like 902 when he retired. My other possibility, Del Piero, had in or around 750 for Juve. Is there anyone else who would beat Giggs? Some South American goalie had loads of appearances for his team, but not sure how many.

Delighted for Jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Delighted for Jose.

Agreed but I fear a backlash at the weekend now. Players having just gone out of 1 cup will not want to go out of the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

DazMarz wrote: »
    I can only imagine the nerves of United fans. Cracking game so far for it.

Also, I've scoured the internet and cannot find a definitive answer to this: Ryan Giggs, with his 1000 apps for United tonight; is he the record holder for the most appearances for a single club? Maldini was on like 902 when he retired. My other possibility, Del Piero, had in or around 750 for Juve. Is there anyone else who would beat Giggs? Some South American goalie had loads of appearances for his team, but not sure how many.

I understand but am not certain that giggs just has 1000 career games and they include games for wales

• Advertisement

yes 931 games for united

Phoenix wrote: »
    Would ye prefer the Europa over the FA cup?

For me yes big time, I may be in the minority, I certainly would be if we hadn't won the Fa cup so many times recently.

Agreed but I fear a backlash at the weekend now. Players having just gone out of 1 cup will not want to go out of the other.

True but we shouldnt fear Utd regardless. Gonna be a good cup tie.

Europa and get to another super cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Not for me, FA cup is much more special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Whilst the red was clearly very harsh in the Utd match tonight is there anything to be said for their performance just not being good enough? They completely collapsed and didn't show enough fight for me. Other teams have gone down to ten before after all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Duck Soup wrote: »
    I'm going 2-1 to Real. I'd prefer United to win it as they might then take their eye off the FA Cup ball. Although it'd take a mass brain fart and some hallucinogenic drugs for them to take their eyes off it sufficiently for the currently going-through-the-motions Chelsea team to progress,
    Good call on the score.

That's JM at Madrid until summer. Should take some wind out of MU's sails. The UCL is what SAF really wanted to go into the record books. The rest of the season will be an anti-climax for them! Let's put them out of the FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Whilst the red was clearly very harsh in the Utd match tonight is there anything to be said for their performance just not being good enough? They completely collapsed and didn't show enough fight for me. Other teams have gone down to ten before after all...

It's about time Utd were on the wrong end of a harsh referee! Modric's goal was sublime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Really love the FA Cup, however I would swap them both for qualification for The Champions League. (AKA The Arsenal Cup)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

After seeing jose speaking after the game, it looks like its united he will be going to and not us. Grovelling to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Damn really wanted a ManU win agree Jose in Madrid until summer at least maybe longer if they win it. That being said they did not look great still a German winner for me

Techless wrote: »
    After seeing jose speaking after the game, it looks like its united he will be going to and not us. Grovelling to say the least.

Not sure it was grovelling as such but am more convinced now he will not be hitching up in West London this summer. Looks like he was just trying to keep under the skin of the powers that be at RM to me.

Can't see Fergie going at the end of this season you feel he wants another Champions League so I would have thought he will want at least one more pop at it. Think Jose will decamp in Paris for a few seasons then ManU at a total guess.

If so then who for us?

Even less chance now I fear everyone's favourite Mr Webb in attendance at OT on Sunday

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2288589/Howard-Webb-takes-charge-Manchester-United-v-Chelsea.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Even less chance now I fear everyone's favourite Mr Webb in attendance at OT on Sunday

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2288589/Howard-Webb-takes-charge-Manchester-United-v-Chelsea.html

Kinda makes my feel all nostalgic seeing Raul in that photo. He scored one or two peaches for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Anyone else think we may be in for a beating in the FA cup after United's game tonight?

Panthro wrote: »
    Anyone else think we may be in for a beating in the FA cup after United's game tonight?

I'd say an absolute hiding, tbh. They'll be smarting from that tonight, and will go out all guns blazing on Sunday. They'll want to do a Double (seeing as the Treble was wrenched from them tonight) and seeing as they have the League more or less sewn up, they can focus on the Cup a lot more than they might have done had they still been alive in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I think it will be a case of one extreme or another. Either we show up and take the game to them from the off (in which case we are in for an entertaining afternoon of football because I'd say United will go at us hell for leather), or we go and buckle it completely, in which case I would be afraid to predict a score tbh.

I'm just happy it wasnt us on the wrong end of a decision, think if it was Utd v Barca then the conspiracy theories would be out for about a week. :pac:

Once we pick up a result Thursday I'll be happy.

Is this the 1st time in years no British club has got to the Quarter Finals?

Lets face it Celtic and Arsenal are all but out at this stage.

Jose record against SAF is surreal, 16 games, 7 wins, 7 draws and 2 loses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Spanish opposition? Second leg of the champions league knockout section? Down to 10 men? Sound familiar to anyone?

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    Spanish opposition? Second leg of the champions league knockout section? Down to 10 men? Sound familiar to anyone?

Very familiar, same ref too but from being 2-0 down we drew and it was away in the Camp Nou. ;)

For me ref did little wrong JT deserved a red, he thought about the Nani one didn't rush and gave him a red too can't really argue.

As for Sunday will be shocked if we get anything at all out of it after Thursday week might be just concentrating on the league.

For me ref did little wrong JT deserved a red, he thought about the Nani one didn't rush and gave him a red too can't really argue.

As for Sunday will be shocked if we get anything at all out of it after Thursday week might be just concentrating on the league.

Some posters are arguing its becasue f Nanis double movement where it appears after trying to control the ball hes ticks the boot in to Arbeloa, I can see it but it still looks a bit harsh IMO.

I'd be happy if we finihed top 4 and we won nothing, it would be a bonus to pick up trophies and go far in the competitions but getting to the UCL next year is what its all about.

Cant wait to hear what Fergie has to say on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Manchester United have called up Howard Webb for Sundays FA Cup clash with Chelsea :D

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    Manchester United have called up Howard Webb for Sundays FA Cup clash with Chelsea :D

What's worse is they shouldnt even need him, after last night they should be fired up to stay in the FA cup, the League is all but over but they could still do a League and Cup double which is still a good year IMO.

Can't understand why everyone is so negative about the fa cup clash! I know that given our current form its a big ask but the last time we played them we were well in control when the ref took the game away we have the same squad with the addition of ba, I know we have a poor relationship between management and players but one big game from our team as a team could easily turn this game in our favour.
    I know that given our situation we should be concentrating on finishing fourth but if we go into this thinking we have no chance then how do you think we have a chance of beating them in the league! Lets not forget that we were among the title favourites until that day at the bridge where they came with there crooked referee and ruined our season so lets not let them get the easiest double in premier league history and stick the boot in on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Apparently gourlay said we can expect 2 or 3 transfers in before the next far east tour, so we must have some sort of plan. Sounds like a good bit of the ground work done

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Was trying to find a youtube clip of Fergie when commenting on the Torres sending off earlier in the season, couldn't keep the smile off his face.

Some people would call it Karma.

Bring on Sunday and we'll wreck their hopes of a Double :eek:

• Advertisement

Apparently gourlay said we can expect 2 or 3 transfers in before the next far east tour, so we must have some sort of plan. Sounds like a good bit of the ground work done

As long as one of them is a CB I'll be happy.

Bartyman wrote: »
    Was trying to find a youtube clip of Fergie when commenting on the Torres sending off earlier in the season, couldn't keep the smile off his face.

Imagine Fergie losing to Rafa and Jose in the one week, they're would be no interveows for about a week. :P

That's more like it! Roll on Sunday, fùckin mothers day! There is defiantly gonna be a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Come on lads,lets not write us off we are after all CURRENT FA cup holders!
    KTBFF

Apparently only 4 other teams have won the cl and then the Europa we could still call ourselves champions of Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

We've nothing to lose on Sunday in a sense so I hope we raise our game and give it a right go. Even if we lose then at least it should spur us on to believe we can secure the top 4 place.
    Apparently only 4 other teams have won the cl and then the Europa we could still call ourselves champions of Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Some good news at last. We are the top club in the world :)
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/stat-nerds-chelsea-world-best-club-164324838.html

Disclaimer: might not stand up to much scrutiny but beggars cant be choosers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Bartyman wrote: »

Thats terrible, Nani could have been killed in that challenge laast night. But fair play to him he didnt cry this time.

I bet he cried when the hair dryer came out after the final whistle!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

What's worse is they shouldnt even need him, after last night they should be fired up to stay in the FA cup, the League is all but over but they could still do a League and Cup double which is still a good year IMO.

It's to protect Chelsea. Forgot his performance in 2010-11 season in the deciding game?

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    It's to protect Chelsea. Forgot his performance in 2010-11 season in the deciding game?

Is that the game when Drogbas goal was offside and Machedas shouldnt have stood?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Is that the game when Drogbas goal was offside and Machedas shouldnt have stood?

No. Game when Hernandez scored with in a min and then Ivanovic kept on fouling our players (Should have had atleast 3 yellows but sadly got only one). Then Lampard with blatant hand ball not given as penalty.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement