Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

ive said it before and i'll say it again, lampard and mikel as a duo is way too slow, luiz or ramires has to be in there . they played against man city and it didn't work and again last night . every 2nd ball was lost to steau
    also luiz didn't seem to want to put his foot in last night and only for JT it could have been a lot worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I just cant believe....

1/ How Rafa is still here
    No plan B, always plays the SAME tactics, Torres is back to how he generally is. Try 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 FFS
    I mean this is pretty much the same players that won 2 cups last season!
    2/ Why Roman hasnt copped on that there is something seriously wrong with our transfer policy that has left us short in certain areas and overloaded in others, yet we have players capable of plugging most of those gaps out on loan.
    Its not purely the managers fault, a manager can only work with the squad they are given and already Gourlay has said we will be getting 2 or 3 new players in, so probably all get loaned out or more small No10's!
    3/That Roman doesnt have a backup plan to sack Rafa, cos the way we are going, we WILL struggle to make top 4 and surely he must start getting twitching if we dont win our next league game
    4/ How 80 million of new talent bought and I quote "to ensure a poor league finish doesnt happen again" can barely defend or get a shot on target

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I just cant believe....

1/ How Rafa is still here
    No plan B, always plays the SAME tactics, Torres is back to how he generally is. Try 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 FFS
    I mean this is pretty much the same players that won 2 cups last season!

The players have been playing a 4-2-3-1 for the best part of 2 seasons now, I cant see it changing, depending on who comes in for next season they might change it.
    2/ Why Roman hasnt copped on that there is something seriously wrong with our transfer policy that has left us short in certain areas and overloaded in others, yet we have players capable of plugging most of those gaps out on loan.
    Its not purely the managers fault, a manager can only work with the squad they are given and already Gourlay has said we will be getting 2 or 3 new players in, so probably all get loaned out or more small No10's!
    Craig Burley said it last night, we've a decent team but half of them are out on loan, nail on the head.
    3/That Roman doesnt have a backup plan to sack Rafa, cos the way we are going, we WILL struggle to make top 4 and surely he must start getting twitching if we dont win our next league game
    We wont need a back up plan, no club should be going through 2 managers in a a season, sure what good would bringing in an Avram Grant type do? Might as well give the players the job and let them pick the team themselves.
    4/ How 80 million of new talent bought and I quote "to ensure a poor league finish doesnt happen again" can barely defend or get a shot on target
    The problem last night was nobody looked bothered, there's no motivation in the camp, I dont know why but there is nothing positive coming out of Stmaford Bridge for a few weeks.

I think we'll easily finish 4th, Spurs are lookig to strong to catch unless they have a serious downfall so that leaves us fighting with Arsenal for 4th who I think we'll finish above, we'r what, 5 points clear of them with 2 difficult away trips, 1 difficult home game left, I think we'll keep them at bay.

peteeeed wrote: »
    ive said it before and i'll say it again, lampard and mikel as a duo is way too slow, luiz or ramires has to be in there . they played against man city and it didn't work and again last night . every 2nd ball was lost to steau
    also luiz didn't seem to want to put his foot in last night and only for JT it could have been a lot worse

We need complete midfielders in the 2 CM spots.

Lamps of a few years ago would have been perfect for it and he still has something to offer from there but he doesnt have the pace to get about in there, same with Essien, that role was perfect for him, Ramires, while technically not as good as Lamps or Luiz offers a drive and energy that only Luiz can match, Mikel offers the best shield option in there but I'd nearly argue Luiz would be better as the holding CM but he has the odd brain fart and ends up 20 yards from the opposition goal as the holding player all to often.

Ideally we'd have someone like Pirlo or Busquets in there a guy that can dictate the tempo from deep and keep the game ticking over, Josh Mc could do that role IMO but he wont get a chance to do it.

Oscar could do it if hes partnered with the right CM, more then likely Luiz.

What it seems is that Luiz long term future should be seen as at CM and throw a creative ball carrier that can pass in there with him, Josh Mc, Oscar somebody of that ilk and replace Luiz at CB.

We're sorted for a GK with Cech and Courtois but will the latter still be around in 2 years?

We're sorted for RB's with Azp and Ivan and the new brazilian dude whos name has alluded me.

CB's we need cover, Cahill, JT, Ivan, Ake arent good enough to lead us into the future especially if we move Luiz to CM, maybe Bruma could do it but i think w'll need to invest.

LB's, while we have decent options, none of them hold a candle to Cole at the moment. Bertrand isnt up to it, and PVa looked good under Carlo 2, 3 years ago when he played, I'd give him a chance again.

CM, big problem, Ramries, Lamps who could be gone, Luiz, Josh Mc, Essien, Romeu who looked like getting back into the team before his injury, Mikel, Ideally next year we'll have Luiz, Josh Mc, Romeu, Ramires and Mikel all trying to get game time and thats before we factor in any potetinal signing.

AM RLC plenty of options here, Mata, Piazon, Moses, Hazard, Marin, KDB I think we dont need to strengthen this position so I iagine we'll sign Isco or something.

CF badly need a goal scorer, Ba, Torres, Lukaku, Feruz, nobody on that list looks like they'll get 20-30 goals at the moment so maybe another striker to come in with Torres been flogged, at the least his wages will be put to good use.

245161699.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I can't remember whether Burley said it last night, or I read it somewhere, but apparently Emenalo is the man responsible for sending players out on loan. That's not to get Rafa off the hook, but to say that whoever comes in as manager will be partly hog-tied the moment they come in the door. Can't see Pep agreeing to that situation wherever he works.

A Director of Football only works if the Director of Football knows what he's doing. Perhaps there's a financial fair play/balance sheet imperative behind all this, in which case off-load some of the more expensive but useless items - Torres, Malouda, Ferreira, Bertrand, Benayoun etc.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    I can't remember whether Burley said it last night, or I read it somewhere, but apparently Emenalo is the man responsible for sending players out on loan. That's not to get Rafa off the hook, but to say that whoever comes in as manager will be partly hog-tied the moment they come in the door. Can't see Pep agreeing to that situation wherever he works.

A Director of Football only works if the Director of Football knows what he's doing. Perhaps there's a financial fair play/balance sheet imperative behind all this, in which case off-load some of the more expensive but useless items - Torres, Malouda, Ferreira, Bertrand, Benayoun etc.

Ya Burley and Champion were discussing last night during the game.

As you mentioned there is enough money to be saved by getting rid of some players.

Torres, Essien, Yossi, Malouda, Ferriera, Turnbull/Hilario to name a few that could be sold or contracts are running out.

DoF do usually have a huge say in the transfers but thats after the manager has had his say and who he wants, doesnt want, I'm not surprised if we were doing it arse ways but I can imagine somewhere along the lines, the coachig staff or RDM said its ok we dont need X send him off to Y on loan for a bit, I cant imagine its all just emealo given free reign , that makes no sense, but then if you think about it, it is Chelsea so its perfectly plausable.

anyway FA youth cup tonight on chelsea TV away to derby , something to look forward to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Who needs Torres, we're going for a Non-league player. :pac:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2289905/Chelsea-rival-Liverpool-Dulwich-Hamlet-starlet-Daniel-Carr.html?ICO=most_read_module

The club has had Crouch and Ian Wright playing for them before going onto EPL careers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Phoenix wrote: »
    Sooner this season is over the better.
    Roman I hope this season serves a pertinent lesson for you.
    Beyond diabolical last night,jesus I seen Furlong give more than what was witnessed last night!

Indeed anything that makes you look back fondly on Teddy Maybank and Graham Wilkins is very sick indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

He looks like Lukaku.

We could try a swap for Torres. Now theres something I'd pay to see - Torres playing for Dulwich Hamlet :)
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Who needs Torres, we're going for a Non-league player. :pac:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2289905/Chelsea-rival-Liverpool-Dulwich-Hamlet-starlet-Daniel-Carr.html?ICO=most_read_module

The club has had Crouch and Ian Wright playing for them before going onto EPL careers.

Torres would look good in the jersey I reckon, pink and blue suits him. :pac:

Indeed anything that makes you look back fondly on Teddy Maybank and Graham Wilkins is very sick indeed.

I'm old enough to remember having stood in the Shed singing "Walker, Walker, Walker, Walker, Clive is the king of Stamford Bridge." Oh the shame.

The name Walker suited him. He never ran for a ball in his life.

I'm old enough to remember having stood in the Shed singing "Walker, Walker, Walker, Walker, Clive is the king of Stamford Bridge." Oh the shame.

The name Walker suited him. He never ran for a ball in his life.

edited by gav, was mr walker slandered?

Great quote from Avram from the Goal article.

"They don’t like being in the Europa League and their players are not dreaming about being in that final.

Their motivation would have been much greater in the Champions League."

This will be great consolation to the five hundred fans who paid for air fares and accommodation for last night's game.

Yup and I've PM'd Duck Soup.
    Great quote from Avram from the Goal article.

"They don’t like being in the Europa League and their players are not dreaming about being in that final.

Their motivation would have been much greater in the Champions League."

This will be great consolation to the five hundred fans who paid for air fares and accommodation for last night's game.

True, It is a second string contest to the UCL but continued performannces like last night will mean they'll have to get used to this competition for a few years unless the up their performance levels.

I questioned Mr Walker's body fat percentage and adjoined it to a salty epithet. My apologies to Mr Walker and to all concerned. He was still a useless expletive expletive epithet though. :)

I questioned Mr Walker's body fat percentage and adjoined it to a salty epithet. My apologies to Mr Walker and to all concerned. He was still a useless expletive expletive epithet though. :)

that's a banning in my book, clive walker was great except when scored for sunderland against chelsea in the league cup

• Advertisement

That's some head of hair. :pac:

WALKER%20CLIVE%201974-75.jpg

That's some head of hair. :pac:

WALKER%20CLIVE%201974-75.jpg
    looks better bald

that's a banning in my book, clive walker was great except when scored for sunderland against chelsea in the league cup

At the risk of drawing tooooo many comparisons between the Walker/Maybank/Rhoades-Brown era and the current crop, Walker personified the attitude that seems to have permeated this season. Drop the ball on his toe, or give him a tap in, there was no better man.

Ask him to run onto a ball and...meh. Who can be bovvered? Basically, leave Nando in a room full of pies and eventually you get Clive Walker.

And then Nando goes and makes a liar out of me last night by being the most committed player in a blue shirt.

At least the Walker-era players had the excuse of low resources and therefore low expectations - pre-Bates, pre-Harding, pre-Roman. A win was a big deal. The most common chant was "C'mon you Chelsea and score. When you get one, you'll get more." More in hope than expectation.

Those players were on £200 a week, not £100,000. There's an absolute absence of hunger and desire now. It's as though the Chelsea Golden Generation™ spent a decade chasing the big prize and now their job is done. I can't imagine a Ferguson side ever being allowed to rest on that laurel.

At the risk of drawing tooooo many comparisons between the Walker/Maybank/Rhoades-Brown era and the current crop, Walker personified the attitude that seems to have permeated this season. Drop the ball on his toe, or give him a tap in, there was no better man.

Ask him to run onto a ball and...meh. Who can be bovvered? Basically, leave Nando in a room full of pies and eventually you get Clive Walker.

And then Nando goes and makes a liar out of me last night by being the most committed player in a blue shirt.

At least the Walker-era players had the excuse of low resources and therefore low expectations - pre-Bates, pre-Harding, pre-Roman. A win was a big deal. The most common chant was "C'mon you Chelsea and score. When you get one, you'll get more." More in hope than expectation.

Those players were on £200 a week, not £100,000. There's an absolute absence of hunger and desire now. It's as though the Chelsea Golden Generation™ spent a decade chasing the big prize and now their job is done. I can't imagine a Ferguson side ever being allowed to rest on that laurel.
    lets face it he was part of a really bad team during those years but i liked walker and tommy langley , it wasn't until john neal had a clear out that things improved

lets face it he was part of a really bad team during those years but i liked walker and tommy langley , it wasn't until john neal had a clear out that things improved

The player that really held us together in those days was Micky Droy, bought from my old home town club, Slough Town, for the eye-watering fee of £5,000. The precise statistic has been long lost, but in broad terms, when Droy was playing, the average point tally per game was distinctly higher. He was 6' 5" of limited, but completely committed, defender. He didn't play to the crowd, he just went out every week and gave it everything.

The first time we played on the astroturf at QPR, Droy refused to change his game. He slid in for tackles, went for every ball. I remember him coming off the pitch at the end of the game, blood running down his legs from raw skin caused by sliding in on the plastic grass.

What I'd give for a fraction of that attitude right now.

Chelsea-Arsenal-01.11.83-MickyDroyTestimonial-L.jpg

That really was an awful kit.

• Advertisement

Nostalgia Friday, ya cant bate it. :pac:

Chelsea-Arsenal-01.11.83-MickyDroyTestimonial-L.jpg

That really was an awful kit.

doesnt have a patch on this,

Chelsea1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

The player that really held us together in those days was Micky Droy, bought from my old home town club, Slough Town, for the eye-watering fee of £5,000. The precise statistic has been long lost, but in broad terms, when Droy was playing, the average point tally per game was distinctly higher. He was 6' 5" of limited, but completely committed, defender. He didn't play to the crowd, he just went out every week and gave it everything.

The first time we played on the astroturf at QPR, Droy refused to change his game. He slid in for tackles, went for every ball. I remember him coming off the pitch at the end of the game, blood running down his legs from raw skin caused by sliding in on the plastic grass.

My dad is from slough that's how I ended up being a Chelsea fan

Phoenix wrote: »
    Or this
    Chelsea-90-away-USE.jpg

I'm happy to say all my old kits are stashed away including the questionable grey and orange acid trip special

• Advertisement

We've had some truly awful kits down the years. :D

We've had some truly awful kits players down the years. :D

I know he's an easy target but FFS!

He tries to be to clever at times which either makes you look very good, like Kagawa the weekend gone, or torres in this instance, or Yossi too who tried to give the keeper the eyes while rolling a ball towards with all the power of 4 babies.

Chelsea eyeing up 23 year-old Borussia Dortmund forward, Marco Reus.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/03/07/chelsea-set-to-make-summer-bid-for-borussia-dortmunds-marco-reus/

Ah Micky Droy now that was a legend. Agreed of limited ability but the heart of a pride of Lions. Remember seeing him one evening at the Bridge FA Cup 3rd round replay against the Saints, they won it the year before and Lawrie McMenamy (?) was their boss. We played really well at he Dell for a draw did well at the Bridge as well 0-0 after 90 mins exploded in extra time lost 3-0 but Droy never stopped I swear the West Stand transfer off was shaking at one stage as he "ran" down the wing. Which as a mother of a CB you didn't see too often.

Happy days (through very rose coloured glasses haha)

FREE THE DUCK ONE

FREE THE DUCK ONE

Duck can be quite "fatty". Nice though if done right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Any one think we win on Sunday. I think we might get a 2 1 as Rafa will have us ready Man u.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

245161699.jpg
    Just had to log on to 'like' that! :pac:

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Any one think we win on Sunday. I think we might get a 2 1 as Rafa will have us ready Man u.

Just when are Chelsea going to put the boot in? Only then can we hope to beat a properly organised team.

We have it in us. But no one seems ready to throw the switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Hope I'm wrong but I think we could get a serious hiding.
    Because of his history with Rafa and also with the Real Madrid result in mind, SAF might just go for the jugular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

bullpost wrote: »
    Hope I'm wrong but I think we could get a serious hiding.
    Because of his history with Rafa and also with the Real Madrid result in mind, SAF might just go for the jugular.

That and the woeful dis-interest shown Thursday night.
    I actually fear what the end score will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

To pile more shíte onto Sunday's game; United are now out of Europe. United are basically guaranteed to lift their 20th League Title come May. The only trophy they are still left in where they have to "try" is the FA Cup. It would seal a Double for them and would be their first League and FA Cup Double in a good while.

United will be very sore after Tuesday night (as well they might feel that way; they were robbed). They are like the bully boy who just got a slap in the head. What's he going to do? Crush and humiliate someone to make himself feel better. Chelsea fit the bill for that role nicely. United will want to give the faithful something to cheer about on Sunday afternoon. Giving Chelsea a good, hard drubbing also fits that bill.

They can field very strong teams for their FA Cup games now, knowing that the League is more or less safe, barring a complete and utter meltdown.

Chelsea's recent form has been abysmal and I can't see there being any major change in that on Sunday.

This could be a disaster. Or historical. Or historical disaster. Personally, I could see a scoreline of something like 3-0 to United.

EDIT: just checked. The last time United did a domestic Double, it was part of their historic Treble of 1999. So I'm sure they'd love another Double. Last time they won the FA Cup was 2004. A long time not to have won it, so I'm sure they'd love to have it back.

I can't see it Tubbs actually think this could be a watershed game where we could get beat out the door. I hope I am wrong but we seem to be playing with no structure or passion to our game at all and we are so damn slow almost glacial. Only hope I see is if the players raise their game as it is ManU at Old Trafford.

But if we win it will be in spite of our interim not because of.

Well done the youths another semi

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3102437/title/fa-youth-cup-report-derby-county-1-chelsea-2?

Interesting Feruz was unavailable for selection, is he injured or travelling to CoronationStreetLand really hope it is the latter.

I'd love Reus, the guy is excellent IMO.

Good to see Rafa's no nonsense tactics ha about 1:08 in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Melion wrote: »

Torres to be offloaded for £15m? So far, it's only the Express running the story with those exact numbers, but I've no doubt that the club is committed to moving Nando on in the summer. Torres + a huge wad = Falcao is doubtless an attractive proposition for Roman.

Meanwhile, apart from being linked with German striker, Marco Reus, yesterday, there are two more transfer possibilities being talked about. The first, also from the Express, is Mario Gomez (27 years old) from Bayern. I'd prefer Reus - he's younger and looks sharper.

The other is the Benfica defender, Ezequiel Garay (26), as a possible long-term replacement for JT. They need to be sharpish on Garay, as Man U are widely reported to already be in negotiations with his agent.

http://www.sportsbulletin.co.uk/football/chelsea-transfer-news-gossip/04125/

• Advertisement

Torres to be offloaded for £15m? So far, it's only the Express running the story with those exact numbers, but I've no doubt that the club is committed to moving Nando on in the summer. Torres + a huge wad = Falcao is doubtless an attractive proposition for Roman.

Meanwhile, apart from being linked with German striker, Marco Reus, yesterday, there are two more transfer possibilities being talked about. The first, also from the Express, is Mario Gomez (27 years old) from Bayern. I'd prefer Reus - he's younger and looks sharper.

The other is the Benfica defender, Ezequiel Garay (26), as a possible long-term replacement for JT. They need to be sharpish on Garay, as Man U are widely reported to already be in negotiations with his agent.

http://www.sportsbulletin.co.uk/football/chelsea-transfer-news-gossip/04125/
    Gomez is a lug. At best he'll score against lesser opposition, but he's not going to do the business against top teams in top competitions. And he'll be 28 by the time he gets here. I thought we were trying to move past clapped out signings in key roles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement