Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Forgot to the video up

http://bbcsporf.lockerdome.com/articles/106671002

Looking at it again , Im sure at this stage the police would be involved if it were Suarez/Terry

Like the way they were stupidly involved over ball boy gate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

What we need is a centre back partnership , the most important partnership on the pitch , JT and Cahill/ivanovic for me and give them a few games together , JT should be fresh now
    then the midfield luiz or Mikel with ramieres or lampard , lampard and Mikel is too slow so as a partnership it doesn't work , also ramieres and lampard both want to bomb on so they can't play together

Forgot to the video up

http://bbcsporf.lockerdome.com/articles/106671002

Looking at it again , Im sure at this stage the police would be involved if it were Suarez/Terry

Like the way they were stupidly involved over ball boy gate

I hope he gets done for it but he won't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

Managed to acquire a ticket to the game v Spurs. West Upper Stand South, right at the middle. :D

Although, if we beat Utd, it will be postponed because its on the same day as the semi-final. It better not be in May otherwise I am going to have to sell it because of exams. :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Soby wrote: »
    Seen someone discussing how we would play with a false 9 seen as our strikers arent really doing the business

Thoughts ?

It failed miserably against Juventus so I'd say no.

PArt of the reason, IMO, is that our midfield 5 or at least 4 of them are very creative and like many touches and little passes that a CF that makes a good run is often used as a dummy so our AM's or CM's use the opportunity to drive into the space he's created.

It wouldnt matter who we started with yesterday Ba or Torres the outcome would have been the same, a CF working his bo**ocks off with little to no reward, I thought Torres looked better then Ba when he came on FWIW.

What annoyed me no end yesterday was how well we played and it begs the question why dont the players turn up like that every game and not just the big games?

If we finish the season like we played for 70 mins yesterday we'll canter to 3rd and could win the FA cup and EL.

Rio maybe in trouble

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand may face FA action after being involved in an altercation with Chelsea striker Fernando Torres during Sunday's FA Cup quarter-final.

Ferdinand appeared to trip the Spaniard before pushing him in the back in the 86th minute of the clash at Old Trafford.

The FA will look again at the footage before deciding what action, if any, to take but Chelsea manager Rafa Benitez refused to be drawn on the incident.

"I haven't seen the replay - you can see the replay," he said when asked for his response. "You have an advantage and can do it now."

Benitez also confirmed he had spoken to Torres about the matter but would not go into any details.

"I don't talk about things that happen on the pitch," he added.

Benitez himself was involved in a spat with his opposite number Sir Alex Ferguson, who appeared to snub the Chelsea boss's handshake before the game, while the pair also failed to shake hands at the final whistle

As for the game itself, Ferdinand was frustrated United let their opponents back into the game after holding a 2-0 advantage.

Two goals in the opening 11 minutes from Javier Hernandez and Wayne Rooney put the home side in control but a stunning Eden Hazard strike in the second half was followed up by a well-taken Ramires goal as Chelsea earned a replay a Stamford Bridge.

"We gave them the impetus to claw their way back into the game. We played some great football at times but were so careless at times," said Ferdinand.

"If you are careless you are going to get punished. That was the case.

"But we are still in the cup. Wembley is waiting for one of us to go through and hopefully it is us.

"We go to Stamford Bridge for the replay with confidence. We have the tools. We have been there before this season and done well and with the squad we have we don't fear going anywhere."

Cant see anything happening Ferdinand TBH, it was one of the stupidest things he could have done, JT got sent off in the Camp Nou for a similar thing only because it was spotted, Ferdinand, if it was seen would hav walked too but I'm not sure the FA will take action.

Didnt Fellaini get away head butting Huth amd Rooney the same for elbowing McCarthy?

Just 2 incidents the officials missed but the FA didnt act on that I can remember.

I think I seen our game advertised on 3e last night for this Thursday, II'm not 100% so if anyone has access to a Sky listing can they take a look?

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think I seen our game advertised on 3e last night for this Thursday, II'm not 100% so if anyone has access to a Sky listing can they take a look?

That would make sense as they normally show the same game as itv and its definetly on one of their channels

I'd still nearly stream it, the picture quality on 3e is usually fairly ****e.

I'd still nearly stream it, the picture quality on 3e is usually fairly ****e.

Big time , 3e and setanta is like watching football on an old CRT screen

I'm going to try and get over before the end of the season, would love to take in the FA cup replay but cant see that happening, might try make Everton, last game of the season if I can convince one fo the buddies to head over, he doesnt support anybody in particular but he's never been to an EPL game and really wants to go so if I can get 2 tickets I'm going head over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

I'm going to try and get over before the end of the season, would love to take in the FA cup replay but cant see that happening, might try make Everton, last game of the season if I can convince one fo the buddies to head over, he doesnt support anybody in particular but he's never been to an EPL game and really wants to go so if I can get 2 tickets I'm going head over.

My wife is trying to get me tickets for the Everton game for my bday. Where's the best place to get them and when do they usually become available?

weiland79 wrote: »
    My wife is trying to get me tickets for the Everton game for my bday. Where's the best place to get them and when do they usually become available?

Well unless you have a membership you can pay over the odds on a few sites or even sports travel agents or you could try and get them in the general sale once and if they make it to general sale.

I'll check the site and see when that is.

Edit :
    Everton tickets go on General sale on April 22nd, Season Ticket holders can buy them from the 8th April and members from the 15th April.
    Or if you know somebody with a membership that isnt going maybe they could buy the tickets for you and you could pay them, maybe ask any of the lads here that arent going to buy them, of course I'd recommend to do it all via PM but I'm sure you could transfer the money to somebody willing that could get you the tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

weiland79 wrote: »

If no joy, always check http://shed.chelseafc.com/chat/forum_chelsea.shtml

Usually 1 or 2 tickets being offered

There'll be nothing confirmed about a replay until our game on Thursday, if we progress it's going to push back another of our EPL games, after we re-arranged Fulham away for the weekend just gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

A quote from Courtois in Marca this weekend, I used Google Translate so it's not the cleanest translation but you can make sense of it.
    "Everyone knows that I'm very comfortable here. Gives me great joy that gives me the love the fans and I have it for them too. I love life, people, colleagues I have here. decide not only me but also the Chelsea and Atletico. If I can, I want to stay here, "he said.

Cech killed us yesterday for the 1st goal and he never got his defence out far enough for the 2nd goal, I'd be bringing back courtois sooner rather then later.

Falcao isnt the answer, not for the money and potential swap deal he'd command.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

In fairness to Cech he did make an amazing save vs David Luiz!

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    In fairness to Cech he did make an amazing save vs David Luiz!

He did but a few mins later he came out to claim a ball and Luiz hoofed it away under no danger, either Cech called to late or he didnt call at all, i think hernandez was closing down but slowed down to ajog whjen it was evident the ball was running to Cech who didnt get there.

While Cech has had a fantastic career for us and IMO, was the main reason we won the final in May, if we end up losing Courtois in a swap deal or otherwise we'll have shot ourselves in the foot and cost us the best young keeper in Europe who we wont replace in a hurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Yep we need to get our manager situation sorted asap so that these situations dont arise - as they will with the present vacuum.

Was reading about Mourinho again at the weekend and article was saying its down to us or PSG. Can't really see Jose going to France at this stage and I'm now beginning to believe that RA will give him the deal and control he needs .
    How difficult can it be - Jose gives minimum guarantee to get top 4 each season and deliver X trophies in Y years in exchange for agreed transfer budgets etc.?
    While Cech has had a fantastic career for us and IMO, was the main reason we won the final in May, if we end up losing Courtois in a swap deal or otherwise we'll have shot ourselves in the foot and cost us the best young keeper in Europe who we wont replace in a hurry.

If and it's a big if, Jose comes back he wont be aiming for thop 4, he'll be aiming for top 1.

If the opportunity arises that we can bring Jose back and the club doesnt break their backs bending over for Jose I'll be annoyed, we're in a very strange situation where we really need a manager to settle us down and it looks like all the best candidates are ex-managers, Carlo, Jose, Guus.

Jose doesnt stay long at clubs but had Roman not sacked I'd be surprsied if he left us, for another couple of years anyway at the very least.

It's not like ourselves or Jose have done badly since the split but we need Jose more then he needs us and the club should do everything to try and bring him back, give him one of Roman's yachts if we have to, he must have an armada at this stage. :pac:

Brian McDermott is available :)

Youre grand ha :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Good article on when the FA Cup replay could be played, in short, it's tricky.
    The two clubs are set to hold discussions today (Monday) with the FA and Premier League – but a look at the calendar makes it tricky to find a date for the game.
    There is usually a police requirement for 10 days notice of a replay, to enable them to put in place a policing plan.
    That would take us forward to Saturday 23rd March: a date when both clubs' players will be away on international duty, sandwiched between two World Cup qualifiers. Those FIFA games also knock-out the following mid-week slot.
    The weekend of 30th to 31st March looks a big possibility: though scheduling the match then would require the postponement of Sunderland v Manchester United and Southampton v Chelsea – both of them listed as Sky Sports live coverage games.
    Would the powerful broadcaster object to losing not one, but two matches: and would the clubs and Premier League be happy with both games being re-scheduled for a second time?
    One mooted possibility, that both Premier League matches be played on the Saturday and the replay go to Monday 1st April is a non-starter: as Fulham host QPR on that night, and there is no way the Met Police will permit that sort of draw on it's resources on one night in Hammersmith and Fulham.
    The replay is unlikely to go to Tuesday 2nd or Wednesday 3rd April – as both eat into the preparation time for Chelsea's potential Europa League quarter final first leg, should they get past Steaua Bucharest.
    With the FA Cup semi finals occupying an immovable place in the calendar on Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th April, there is only one other place for the Chelsea v Manchester United replay to go: Saturday 6th April.
    Nobody will want this to happen: it would require the postponement of Chelsea v Sunderland and, more significantly, the Manchester derby at Old Trafford – a game due to occupy Sky's Monday Night Football slot. It would also mean the lions share of Wembley's ticketing process having to be steam-rollered though in six days.
    There is one radical idea: to schedule the match this coming Sunday, in place of Chelsea v West Ham. It is theoretically possible that the Met could effectively copy and paste it's West Ham policing plan for United: both fixtures would be in the highest category of game, police-wise.
    Whatever solution is devised the scheduling of this game, unwanted by both clubs, is likely to have a knock-on effect on several other matches.

If it does go ahead this Sudnay it gives people very little notice.

Personally I'd rather get it out of the way ASAP and the best way for that to happen is to bow out of the EL, if we dont go through on Thursday the FA can breath a sigh of relief.

Crazy, a potential upcoming fixture list. :
    Sunday March 31 Premier League v Southampton (a)
    Tuesday April 2 FA Cup 6th round replay v Manchester Utd (h)
    Thursday April 4 Europa League qtr-final 1st leg
    Sunday April 7 Premier League v Sunderland (h)
    Thursday April 11 Europa League qtr-final 2nd leg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

We should play the Next Gen team in the Europa league or FA Cup give the lads another run together. Reduce the price of tickets if need be but we need 4th at worst in the league, given the fixtures outlined by Gav above it is madness to try and play the first team. If only we didn't have two full teams out on loan.

• Advertisement

daily mail and the sun reporting we are after St Etienne striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

If the fixtures do end up that way then people like Feruz and aKe will ahve to get more game time, we simply dont have the squad to complete that many games in that short period of time and remain competitive, IMO.

The players might rally around and could pull through it but we'll definetly need a few youngsters in the squad.

peteeeed wrote: »
    daily mail and the sun reporting we are after St Etienne striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

Is that the dude who wore the diamond encrusted boots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Is that the dude who wore the diamond encrusted boots?

That's the one - I don't think he actually played football in them though :D. I think he's scored in each of his last 8 matches

Reports that Courtois has agreed a one year extension to his deal at Athletico. Happy enough with that, as long as he's back at the end of next season, he'll be more than ready to be #1 imo.

Reports that Courtois has agreed a one year extension to his deal at Athletico. Happy enough with that, as long as he's back at the end of next season, he'll be more than ready to be #1 imo.

If it's true then I'm happy, should mean that we wont be losing him as any deal for Falcao.

I would have rather if he spent a season on loan in the EPL though to get him up to speed quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

AS report that Chelsea and Atletico have opened talks over extending the loan Thibaut Courtois to a third successive season.

Just seen this on Courtois,
    Xabi Prieto's 53rd-minute strike for Sociedad, which television replays showed came from an offside position, was the first La Liga goal Courtois had conceded in front of his own fans since October 28.

Goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois's club record of 820 minutes unbeaten at home in La Liga was cut short by defeat on Sunday, the record was origianlly set of 800 minutes in the 1990-1991 season.

Bring him bloody back and shaft Cech. :pac:

Just seen this on Courtois,

Bring him bloody back and shaft Cech. :pac:

think that has something to do with how athletico are defending and how we are defending .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Benitez looking at this keeper :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-21749312

Tactical genius ..

peteeeed wrote: »
    think that has something to do with how athletico are defending and how we are defending .

The record was for home games, in saying that we cant keep clean sheets at home or away, gone are the days of Terry and Carvalho keeping clean sheets for fun. :(
    the_monkey wrote: »
    Benitez looking at this keeper :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-21749312

Tactical genius ..

43-0? How is that even possible? :pac:

Perfect, send them Cech as a present....as long as they pay us 20 million STG. :pac:

Dont you just hate this type of lazy reporting

http://www.clubcall.com/chelsea/keeper-wants-out-of-bridge-1560083.html?

This is contrary to what he has been saying for ages, indeed it seems that Chelsea will only agree to the extension if he signs a longer contract.

If he's to sign a new contract he may want assurances about his future and how long before he becomes our number 1 which is impossible to guess with out current turnover of managers.

By the time he comes back next summer we coul have 2 new managers come and gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

So Ferdinand will face no action after his 'attack' on Torres, The FA have confirmed........

Who'd ave thought it? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Seriously?!
    Woeful decision. I read that if Webb had said in his match notes that he seen the incident but decided there was nothing to it, then the FA could do nothing about it.
    However if he didn't mention it, or said he didn't see it, then the FA would have to investigate.
    (That was according to Daily Mail IIRC)
    So they deem it a nothing incident so do they?
    Jesus, imagine if it was Terry who did it, the man would have every book there is thrown at him.
    Awful load a ballacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

RichT wrote: »
    So Ferdinand will face no action after his 'attack' on Torres, The FA have confirmed........

Who'd ave thought it? :rolleyes:

He got away with his antics after the Madrid game as well. That was Uefa though in fairness. I can't understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Panthro wrote: »
    Seriously?!
    Woeful decision. I read that if Webb had said in his match notes that he seen the incident but decided there was nothing to it, then the FA could do nothing about it.
    However if he didn't mention it, or said he didn't see it, then the FA would have to investigate.
    Jesus, imagine if it was Terry who did it, the man would have every book there is thrown at him.
    Awful load a ballacks.

Enough said ... Webb == Man United fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Dont you just hate this type of lazy reporting

http://www.clubcall.com/chelsea/keeper-wants-out-of-bridge-1560083.html?

This is contrary to what he has been saying for ages, indeed it seems that Chelsea will only agree to the extension if he signs a longer contract.

The story also appears slightly higher up the news food chain on ESPN.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/197175.html

The original quotes almost certainly originate in the Spanish media, so if the Spanish source is reputable or not, I don't know.

One of the two thousand names being floated for Chelsea manager is Simeone, so there's one school of thought that says bring him to Chelsea and Courtois and Falcao (assisted by an eye-watering transfer fee) follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Panthro wrote: »
    Seriously?!
    Awful load a ballacks.

Chelsea thread = If it was Terry/ Cole bla bla bla
    Liverpool thread = If it was Saint Suarez bla bla bla
    ManUtd thread = If it was De Gea bla bla bla..

Lol. FA have always bottled it and more often than not they made meal out of anything to do with ManUtd to make a statement and often ****ed us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement