Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Last week, Chelsea were said to be preparing a summer bid for Malaga's Isco. He's an exceptional talent, but I don't think the problem's in midfield. Not unless he's a Spanish Ballack, who can put his foot on the ball and control the tempo of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Well lads how confident are ye Chelsea will turn it around 2mrw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm confident we'll have one of them nights at the Bridge where everything seems to go right and we'll win, hoping to anyway.

Steaua proved last week they're no mugs but like a lot of games of ours we left them impose themselves on the game more then we should have.

Team :

Cech
    Ivan Cahill JT Bert
    Lamps Mikel
    Oscar Mata Marin
    Torres

Subs:
    Turnbull
    Paulo F
    Cole
    Luiz
    Ake
    Ramires
    Hazard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'm confident we'll have one of them nights at the Bridge where everything seems to go right and we'll win, hoping to anyway.

Steaua proved last week they're no mugs but like a lot of games of ours we left them impose themselves on the game more then we should have.

Team :

Cech
    Ivan Cahill JT Bert
    Lamps Mikel
    Oscar Mata Marin
    Torres

Subs:
    Turnbull
    Paulo F
    Cole
    Luiz
    Ake
    Ramires
    Hazard

lamps and mikel has not worked as a pairing , too slow against man city away and steau away

I agree with ya, but I can see Ramires getting rested for the EPL game, Mikel was brought on against Utd to very good effect so I can see him starting, if it is that pairing then Lamps have to be given free roaming to join the attack at any opportunity.

Ramires was excellent running in behind Utd the other day, Lamps doesnt have that in his locker any more but he can influence the play if and when given the chance.

Alternatively Luiz could play in CM if we really want to go for it play Luiz and Ramires.

• Advertisement

Actually with Hazard only coming on at Old Trafford he could start in place of Oscar in my team mentioned.

i think lampard in tight games can only play with luiz , might get away with him playing with mikel tonight but they were 2nd to every 50 50 ball last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

I think tonight it'll be 2-0 chelsea.. scrapping through by scoring a goal in last 5 mins and having a few scares along way

We could always play Lamps behind Torres.

Luiz Ramires

Mata Lamps Hazard

Torres

It basically gives him a free role to arrive late into the box, hes not as creative as Mata in that situation but I reckon Steaua will want to keep it 0-0 as long as possible and hit on the counter so Lamps taking shots from the edge of the box maybe an advantage.

I reckon if we get through tonight we'll play Spurs before the final in this and the winner will probably be the winner of the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

I heard Wigan's game v Swansea was pushed back to the 5th of May due to their participation in the FA Cup. If Chelsea beat Utd, I'd say a similar thing will happen with the game v Tottenham. In that case, I wouldn't be able to attend the match because of college exams. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying the ticket from me in the event that this happened? It would cost 83.5 pounds and is located in the West Upper Stand South near the middle if I am correct.

Just this once, I do not want Chelsea to beat Utd. :V

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

We could always play Lamps behind Torres.

Luiz Ramires

Mata Lamps Hazard

Torres

It basically gives him a free role to arrive late into the box, hes not as creative as Mata in that situation but I reckon Steaua will want to keep it 0-0 as long as possible and hit on the counter so Lamps taking shots from the edge of the box maybe an advantage.

I reckon if we get through tonight we'll play Spurs before the final in this and the winner will probably be the winner of the competition.

I agree with Lampard playing behind Torres. Rest Oscar and play Mikel and Ramires in the deep role. Luiz and Cahil to play CB as they both have more pace than JT for Staua counter attacks.

Moses and Marin should also get game time if we can take control of the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Why didnt the FA wait to see if we'd get through tonight before scheduling the replay???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Why didnt the FA wait to see if we'd get through tonight before scheduling the replay???

Because that would be the sensible thing to do :mad:

If we stay in tonight it will give the FA a headache anyway with all the future potential fixtures been re-scheduled, we have a game to play against Fulham that currently has to be re-scheduled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Happy Birthday Nic Anelka - 34 today

Thanks for all the goals, sorry for the pathetic way you were not so gently shuffled out of the club!

He really should have been part of our UCL winning team, good servant to the club and a very good player down through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Was raging when he was let go, he had some savage performances in a Chelsea shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Happy Birthday Nic Anelka - 34 today

Only 34 :eek:

He seems to ave been going around for as long as you and I, Sgt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Phoenix wrote: »
    Torres broke his duck tonight,thoughts?

He played well but I wouldn't get excited over it, he may bag a few more before the season is out but is still a shadow of the player he once was. Gone in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Torres broke his duck tonight,thoughts?

was very happy with his performance tonight, I don't know how he kept that ball in at the death. It's just a shame he missed the penalty to take some of the gloss off, Luiz worst player on the pitch by a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Torres might have got some confidence back... that was nullified a few minutes later when he fluffed the penalty.

Dogged, gritty performance. Not pretty, but thank fúck Chelsea got through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Can't get over Torres' reaction when he does score. A grim smile at best. Compare that with his paroxysms of delight when he scored at Liverpool. Easier to celebrate I suppose when you're scoringly freely I suppose, but still it annoys me. Look at his dribbling, tackling and willingness tonight. When his head's in it, he's still one of the very best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

But at least we now know how to motivate him - get JT to give him a few slaps before a game. He was a different player after he was hit.

Harzard turning into a special player as well. We would've killed for players like Mata and him a few years ago so I'm going to enjoy them while I can.
    kev1.3s wrote: »
    was very happy with his performance tonight, I don't know how he kept that ball in at the death. It's just a shame he missed the penalty to take some of the gloss off, Luiz worst player on the pitch by a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

Anyone else not feel sorry for luiz when he got sandwiched by check and the steaua player near the end, its not the first time he's needlessly body-checked an opposition player, one of these days he's gonna get sited on it and it'll be hard to argue with it,
    That said he was poor all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Surprised there didn't think Sideshow was that bad tonight. Obi I thought was brutal and until he got a kick in the head Torres was up to his normal standard. Mind you that effort by Beni at the death was feeble at best

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Killinator wrote: »
    Anyone else not feel sorry for luiz when he got sandwiched by check and the steaua player near the end, its not the first time he's needlessly body-checked an opposition player, one of these days he's gonna get sited on it and it'll be hard to argue with it,
    That said he was poor all night.

The one against Brentford was a cheap shot should have been done for that. Didn't see tonight's effort in the same light at all challenged for the ball went in hard that's what you want from your defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

The one against Brentford was a cheap shot should have been done for that. Didn't see tonight's effort in the same light at all challenged for the ball went in hard that's what you want from your defenders.
    I thought it was the wrong side of a tough challenge, looked excessive to me.
    Also thought he was being dragged all over the pitch, was rarely confident when he was going in for a challenge.

the key to torres playing well for the rest of the season and bang to the head in the dressing room before he goes on the pitch:)

thought we played well last night against a team that was right up for it in terms of effort . hazard and torres were my picks of of the night , roll on sunday and the hammers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'd love to know what Yossi has on the management to warrant getting a run out. It must be contractual as he fell over twice on the ball and then missed that opportunity in front of goal by trying that flick

3 points now Sunday and it will have been a good 7 days.

I'd be surprsied if 8 or 9 of that XI played on Sunday.

I reckon Cahill will come back in and Lamps and Ba as well.

our season gets longer and LONGER, from the sun

CHELSEA have stunned their tired stars by arranging a trip to America days after the end of the season.
    The Blues will play in a four-team tournament in New York and possibly Dallas, which will also involve Manchester City.
    And the plan is for the men from Stamford Bridge to cross the Atlantic TWO DAYS after their last Premier League fixture against Everton on May 19.
    The agreement has staggered Rafa Benitez’s Chelsea squad, who are already looking at a 70-game season if they reach the FA Cup and the Europa League finals.
    A source said: “The players are not happy, especially as they are going to be playing two or three games a week for the rest of the season.
    “They were looking forward to a holiday after flying all over the world in the busiest season in the club’s history.
    “But the club see this as an opportunity to confirm their status as the most popular Premier League team in the US.
    “And they have pointed out that if the players had reached the Champions League final then they would have been playing that week anyway.”
    To make matters worse, England stars including Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole and Gary Cahill may have to return for the Wembley friendly against the Republic of Ireland on May 29 before re-crossing the Atlantic to play Brazil in Rio on June 2.
    Chelsea have already confirmed they will have a pre-season tour of Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia, leaving on July 11.
    And the US trip is sure to infuriate fans who have already travelled to Japan, Ukraine and Romania to support their team this season.

If we reach the EL final, when is that played?

• Advertisement

If we reach the EL final, when is that played?

15th may

Here's who's left in the Europa.
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    SL Benfica
    S.S. Lazio
    Chelsea FC
    Newcastle United FC
    FC Basel 1893
    FC Rubin Kazan
    Fenerbahçe SK

The draw for the quarters and semis are both done today so we'll know who we have to beat to get through to the final.

When ya look at the teams in there this is a very winnable cup.

peteeeed wrote: »
    15th may

And the FA cup is a week later is it not because of the UCL final in Wembley?

I think the FA have brought it forward, oen to correction though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

G

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

In the Belgian media it's claimed that Lukaku will definitely return to Chelsea for next season.

edit:
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8566942/Steve-Clarke-does-not-expect-Romelu-Lukaku-to-be-at-West-Brom-next-season
    He said: "He is Chelsea's player. He belongs to Chelsea and he will go back there in the summer.

"I have never thought it would be possible Chelsea would let him come back next season.

"He came on a season-long loan and we're grateful we got him."

I might have to stop disliking Chelsea :pac:

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    In the Belgian media it's claimed that Lukaku will definitely return to Chelsea for next season.

Why wouldnt he?

He is our player after all and we need at least 3 strikers on the books anyway, having only Torres for half the season and then adding Ba didnt help at all this season.

On current form Lukaku would start above both Ba and Torres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

3 English teams in this stage of the Europa League and its seen as an achievement :confused: where as before the likes of Chelsea and Spurs didnt want to go near it. To me it really shows how poor the EPL has gone. At the start of the season the very idea of Chelsea winning the Europa League was to be laughed at as it seems it was thought to be beneath the club and now we just might win it, oh how things were so different at this stage of last season. :(

And the FA cup is a week later is it not because of the UCL final in Wembley?

I think the FA have brought it forward, oen to correction though.

seems to be set for the 11th May

http://wembleystadium.com/Events/2013/The-FA-Cup-Final-2013/The-FA-Cup-Final-2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

S28382 wrote: »
    3 English teams in this stage of the Europa League and its seen as an achievement :confused: where as before the likes of Chelsea and Spurs didnt want to go near it. To me it really shows how poor the EPL has gone. At the start of the season the very idea of Chelsea winning the Europa League was to be laughed at as it seems it was thought to be beneath the club and now we just might win it, oh how things were so different at this stage of last season. :(

Well for Spurs and Newcastle who both started in the competition it can be seen as a good achievement , for us, not so much.

I say that as I think any team getting k/o'd of the UCL shouldnt fall into the latter stages of the EL but that's just me.

It's like 2 shots at Europe for the price of 1.

While we're in it we may as well take it seriously and at the quarter final stage we've a real chance of winning it.

What time is the Europa League draw at?

11:30/40 ish I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Why wouldnt he?

He is our player after all and we need at least 3 strikers on the books anyway, having only Torres for half the season and then adding Ba didnt help at all this season.

On current form Lukaku would start above both Ba and Torres.

On Belgian TV a few weeks back he said he liked it at West Brom, of course if Chelsea asked him to stay at Stamford Bridge he would love it but there was no indication that the loan spell wouldn't be extended.

Of course he would come back sooner or later ;)

I wonder what that means for Torres, provided Lukaku keeps scoring like he does at West Brom.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    On Belgian TV a few weeks back he said he liked it at West Brom, of course if Chelsea asked him to stay at Stamford Bridge he would love it but there was no indication that the loan spell wouldn't be extended.

Of course he would come back sooner or later ;)

I wonder what that means for Torres, provided Lukaku keeps scoring like he does at West Brom.

If both Ba and Torres are here next season, and they probably will be, unless the new manager wants to play 2 upfront then both will be benched.

Lukaku couldnt get a game ahead of Anelka, Drogba, Sturridge and Torres in his first season, hes done very wel on laon nowl and it begs the question why did he waste a season at reserve level and only go on loan this season.

There's always the chance we'll sign another striker and if that's the case I can see Torres been off loaded.

The way it is we've 3 good options at the club for next season, better options then we started the season with anyway.

looking at the fixture pileup now .. the next 3 PL games against west ham southampton and sunderland must get minimum 7 pts from them... dont fancy playing spurs and liverpool when team be so tired

podge79 wrote: »
    looking at the fixture pileup now .. the next 3 PL games against west ham southampton and sunderland must get minimum 7 pts from them... dont fancy playing spurs and liverpool when team be so tired

I cant wait for the run in, the players seem to be back to early season performances, if they can keep it up then we'll be fine.

One thing I was happy about last night, no Bertrand, thank christ he didnt play.

It was Coles first appearance in the EL, his other 101 European appearences were in the UCL only.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement