Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Phoenix wrote: »
    Realistically speaking have we a chance of a trophy this season?

Well were probably slight favourites for the EL and were one of the fsvourites for the FA cup.

Weve a good chance in both IMO.

Liverpool losing, Arsenal just about winning and Everton turning over City means weve to win 2mw to keep up with Spurs and City and put some distance between the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The teams that Chelsea want to see dropping points are: Spurs, Arsenal and Everton. To an extent, Liverpool too. With Spurs going all out to win the Europa, it could be a hope that they will take their eye off the ball a bit in the Prem.

Sickened at Arsenal and Everton winning today. Against teams you would have fancied to do damage. Man City got exposed for what a shower of uncaring prima donnas they truly are today; Everton were down to ten men and this team that cost squillions to assemble couldn't even force a draw. I'd also have fancied Swansea to put up some resistance to Arsenal in their home patch and yet they folded like a cheap umbrella. Not good.

3 points against West Ham is an absolute must. Especially as it's a home game and to avenge the humiliating 3-1 defeat at Upton Park earlier in the season.

The ironic part is, I'd love to see Chelsea playing like they do in the Europa League: play crap, but still get the result. I care not one jot how they get results, but just that they get them. If the means to an end is ugly, grinding, boring football, so be it. This is something I've said for years: what good is pretty, good, skilful football if it yields no reward? Ask an Arsenal fan what they think of that. I'm sure they'd trade the "Poor Man's Barca" label in a heartbeat if they thought they'd capture some silverware.

3 point tomorrow and it's sitting pretty, overtaking Spurs (however temporarily that might last) and so on.

Then cue the fixtures pile-up at the end of the month/start of April. The joys of it...

Gianluca Vialli has found new work as a weather man!

Slipperyconditions.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

DazMarz wrote: »
    Gianluca Vialli has found new work as a weather man!

Slipperyconditions.jpg

Is that meant to look like boobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Chelsea not on tv today :mad:

hopefully it will be showing in one of the pubs later.

The u19s are playing Juventus in the QF of the NextGen Series at 12.30. its live on Chelsea tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Baker has just scored a cracking goal, top corner. 1-0 Chelsea 11 mins gone.
    Edit 2-0 Kiyomya, Chelsea looking very comfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Gossip

Word on the vine is that:

1. A Jose and Falcao double swoop is being routed through Jorge Mendes.
    2. We're offloading Frank to fund Falcao.
    3. PSG don't think they'll get Mou, because Mou is talking to us.
    4. Conte is encouraging speculation in order to burnish his reputation and strengthen his hand at Juve. There is less than meets the eye to our supposed interest in him.
    5. Cavani cheated on his pregnant wife and she wants a divorce, leading to his dip in form. Any reconciliation means staying in Naples is untenable.
    6. Speaking to Italian media after squeaking past Inter, AVB bemoaned the number of leaks during his time with us.
    7. Courtois is adamant about staying in Madrid, according to Diario AS. He fears losing his place to Mignolet if he doesn't get regular football and wants to be number one for country when the World Cup rolls around.
    8. It could have been Rooney instead of Torres. All the noise was about Rooney to City at that time but there was real and mutual interest between us and him until his dramatic u-turn. This is according to Lollichon (yes, our Lollichon) who gave some juicy quotes to the French press this week.

Link: the mou the merrier

Fulham leading Spurs 0-1 at the moment!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Well done to our South West London neighbours. ;) Good stuff! Now lets finish the job at the Bridge to complete a great day!

Neighbours doin' us favours!!!

Now, just close out the game at the Bridge and Chelsea go third by a point and I think Chelsea have a game in hand too!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Rafa in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

That was a good game, Hazard, best player then Mata, Moses was rubbish, Oscar was great when he came on but had nothing to do at that point.

How are Piazona nd de Bruyne doing these days on loan?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

5starpool wrote: »
    Rafa in?

:eek::eek::eek: Not a chance , the sooner he is gone the better !

Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Great result considering the Spurs result.

Did I ever mention Rafa is a tactical genius ;)

Ba suffered from a series dose of Torresitis today. Missed about 4 one on ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Want to plan another trip. Is the Sunderland game definitely set for the Saturday thr 6 th .?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Great performance , mata and hazards link up play was bordering on the telepathic , we must have created and missed about 10 great chances , BA and lampard the most guilty , great for frank to get his 200 goal against the hammers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

While we shouldn't get carried away by a few good results in a row, whisper it if you dare, but we've a damned good shot of securing 2nd place by the end of the season. Understandably, everyone's always looking at those below us and seeing how secure our Champions League spot is.

Man City's recent form has been cack. As long as they were in with a shout of retaining the title, there was a bit of drive about them. Now they're suffering the same problem we've had - the title is gone and players are coasting towards the end of the season. City have only won two of their last six league games. Chelsea are marginally better on that metric, having won three of their last six, but the more recent form is three out of their last four.

That's not to say we should put Rafa forward for sainthood right now, but we're now just four points behind City with a bit of form. Be nice to finish the season out with heads held moderately high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Just seen hazards goal, wonderful is all I can say. He really is coming along well and as someone here already said himself and Mata are linking very well

Just saw something that I thought was a bit classy from Terry (not often anyone can say that, tbh. Much as I love Terry, his mouth and his privates just get him into too much trouble).

When he was coming on as a sub, Lamps offered him the captain's armband, but he just ran on and didn't take it. I know it's just a small thing, but it was a big game for Lamps (200th goal and all that) and it was nice of Terry to let him keep the armband on for the whole game, despite him being entitled to take it.

DazMarz wrote: »
    Just saw something that I thought was a bit classy from Terry (not often anyone can say that, tbh. Much as I love Terry, his mouth and his privates just get him into too much trouble).

When he was coming on as a sub, Lamps offered him the captain's armband, but he just ran on and didn't take it. I know it's just a small thing, but it was a big game for Lamps (200th goal and all that) and it was nice of Terry to let him keep the armband on for the whole game, despite him being entitled to take it.
    Didn't that happen also in another game recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

The only one I can think about is lampard coming on amd taking the band form Cole.
    Who ever starts as captain should hold it for the game but its only a band at the end of the day and obce the team wins it shouldn't matter.
    Looking good now for a least fourth and maybe 2nd if city keeps losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Didn't that happen also in another game recently?

Yeah he's done it a couple of times this season when coming off the bench.

5starpool wrote: »
    Rafa in?

For beating a team battling against relegation at home? I don't think so...

Still has a hell of a lot to prove. The games against poor sides like QPR and Southampton have cost us big time this season.

A Europe League and FA Cup double, along with a top 3 finish and maybe I'd be open to considering extending Rafa's contract... if Jose says no! :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

West Ham are battling against relegation?

You seem to not give him credit for beating a poor side and then criticise him for not beating other poor sides..

dfx- wrote: »

You seem to not give him credit for beating a poor side and then criticise him for not beating other poor sides..

They're 6 points above the relegation zone. Their expectation this season was to survive.

It's not that I'm not giving Chelsea credit, it's that I expect a team that's reigning European Champions, with star players in every position on the pitch, to be able to beat lower level sides (especially at home) without getting too excited about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

There's room for optimism that we can have a very productive run-in. A top-3 place looks likelier, with second also within reach. If we can get a good result in the home leg against Anzhi, that will make the return leg more manageable. And if we can overcome Man U, we have a very good chance of getting to the FA Cup final, what with City's season unravelling. The best way our season can now progress is three or four more successive wins in the Premiership to allow the team to manage the cups in the latter part of the season.

But we've been here before. A few wins, Torres scoring and then a bad result and a lapse back into inconsistency. What makes me think it'll work out this time is the improved weather conditions - which will suit our Latin American contingent, a lack of injuries, a mellowing of the Rafa-out vibe at the Bridge, and the sight of a finishing line.

Being optimistic for now then, how about 2nd in the Premiership, and two cup trophies!!

As for next season, even if we get the squad and manager we want, we still have to find a way of grinding out victories over the long, cold winter which is so unattractive to the types of players we're trying to attract to and keep at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

McDave wrote: »
    There's room for optimism that we can have a very productive run-in. A top-3 place looks likelier, with second also within reach. If we can get a good result in the home leg against Anzhi, that will make the return leg more manageable. And if we can overcome Man U, we have a very good chance of getting to the FA Cup final, what with City's season unravelling. The best way our season can now progress is three or four more successive wins in the Premiership to allow the team to manage the cups in the latter part of the season.

But we've been here before. A few wins, Torres scoring and then a bad result and a lapse back into inconsistency. What makes me think it'll work out this time is the improved weather conditions - which will suit our Latin American contingent, a lack of injuries, a mellowing of the Rafa-out vibe at the Bridge, and the sight of a finishing line.

Being optimistic for now then, how about 2nd in the Premiership, and two cup trophies!!

As for next season, even if we get the squad and manager we want, we still have to find a way of grinding out victories over the long, cold winter which is so unattractive to the types of players we're trying to attract to and keep at the club.

I know what you mean, and if we lose our next match, we'll be back bemoaning the lack of spirit that's characterized so much of the season. But it's not so much form as attitude that's improved. The team seems more willing - the three amigos are on fire at the moment - and even Torres is showing what a fine player he still is, given the odd boot. This coincides with City's lack of fire in the belly (which seems to me to have been a feature of the team under Mancini), when they realized the Premiership title was lost.

I wonder if any of it has to do with Lamps and JT coming back more into the mix. I've never doubted that we have the talent in the team to challenge for just about anything. What's been missing is leadership and maybe that's what the strong characters like JT and Lamps bring to the team.

On an unrelated note, I was watching MOTD2 last night and two thoughts struck me. 1. The understanding developing between Mata and Hazard is phenomenal, but it's not the sort of thing you can coach. Players get used to each other and takes time. 2. These guys are young. The notion that we can have Mata, Hazard and Oscar playing at the peak of their powers for possibly a decade in blue is nothing short of mouthwatering. Keep them and add to them.

I think it has - we don't have many leaders and you do need them. They have been through the dogfights before and know what it takes to come out on top. Thats why we need to sign Frankie for at least another season.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    I wonder if any of it has to do with Lamps and JT coming back more into the mix. I've never doubted that we have the talent in the team to challenge for just about anything. What's been missing is leadership and maybe that's what the strong characters like JT and Lamps bring to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Good performance 3 points and City and Spurs both losing what more could we want?

We controlled the gane and created chances yesterday and took 2 of them, weve played well this season but havent scored the chances but when it mattered we got 2.

If we can be clinical we'll finish top 4 no problem.

Ba's finishing was woeful! I'd have preferred torres to him based in that performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

dfx- wrote: »

You seem to be forgetting that West ham are one of Chelsea's biggest rivals. They hate Chelsea and would do anything for a win. Most of the time they will seriously up their game like yesterday I didn't think they played all that badly created a few good chances.

You can't look at a Chelsea V Hammers game based on their league position, you base it on their bitter bitter rivalry.

You seem to be forgetting that West ham are one of Chelsea's biggest rivals. They hate Chelsea and would do anything for a win. Most of the time they will seriously up their game like yesterday I didn't think they played all that badly created a few good chances.

You can't look at a Chelsea V Hammers game based on their league position, you base it on their bitter bitter rivalry.
    We would have seriously been hammered ( excuses the pun ) if we had taken our chances! You often hear after a match how the score line flattered the winning side but yesterday I think it was quite the opposite.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I agree and that despite their away record West Ham are a better side than blue-army puts across with "a team battling relegation at home".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

So, Rafa gets us 2nd and wins the Europa and FA Cup playing wonderous attacking football.
    He STILL gets terminated and the world calls us mad.

Are we? :confused:

Knowing us we'd hold on to him and make him a dead man walking going into next season ;)
    So, Rafa gets us 2nd and wins the Europa and FA Cup playing wonderous attacking football.
    He STILL gets terminated and the world calls us mad.

Are we? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Ba's finishing was woeful! I'd have preferred torres to him based in that performance.

The first 1-on-1 that he put well wide was absolutely awful, imagine the uproar if Torres did that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Hope our players all come through these internationals injury free .....

The first 1-on-1 that he put well wide was absolutely awful, imagine the uproar if Torres did that!
    We'd be watching it on the title credits of premier soccer Saturday for the next couple of years.

We'd be watching it on the title credits of premier soccer Saturday for the next couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Any think 2nd spot can be achieved , only 4 points behind now , City heads be down with the Title all but gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Soby wrote: »
    Any think 2nd spot can be achieved , only 4 points behind now , City heads be down with the Title all but gone

May depend on how far we get in the Europa imo, City only have the FA Cup to otherwise concentrate on.

Soby wrote: »
    Its amazing the bounce we get as supporters from a couple of good results, you can feel confidence growing in the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Outside of Jose who is on peoples wish list for next manager?

Apparently Chelsea are looking to sign a player called "Jesus". I knew things had gotten desperate, but I didn't think they'd gotten that bad!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Its amazing the bounce we get as supporters from a couple of good results, you can feel confidence growing in the group.

Thats always been the way!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement