Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

May depend on how far we get in the Europa imo, City only have the FA Cup to otherwise concentrate on.

I take that back , hardest team City have left to play is Spurs (maybe Reading pending relegation fight ) where we have Spurs,Pool , Utd & Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm not to pushed about 2nd as long as we finish top 4 and get UCL football.

It well determine the type of coach and players we can attract.

How many of 1st team non injured players are not on international duty?

i know the Brazilians have no travelling to do so that should help them, Torres wasnt called up by Spain either which is a good thing for us.

Arsenal apparently in for Cech if we bring back Courtois for next season.

Cant see either of those things happening TBH.

Piece on Bobby's record and Lamps 200th goal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/mar/18/frank-lampard-200th-goal-bobby-tambling
    With a twist of his neck and a flash of his forehead, Frank Lampard finally scored his 200th goal for Chelsea in their 2-0 victory over West Ham on Sunday. The milestone has been a month in the making and it was no surprise that after it had been achieved the midfielder was awash with a sense of achievement.

"The goals' record is something I'm proud of because I didn't think I'd get anywhere near 200 when I signed [for Chelsea in 2001]," he said. "I didn't know where it would go at the time. So to get there was special for me."

Lampard is now just two goals away from becoming Chelsea's joint all-time record scorer, with a visit to Southampton in 11 days' time representing his next chance to add to his tally for Rafa Benítez's men. Should the 34-year-old hit a brace he will at last catch up with a man the world should know more about.

Bobby Tambling (right) is to Chelsea what Bobby Charlton is to Manchester United, Ian Rush to Liverpool, Dixie Dean to Everton, Thierry Henry to Arsenal and Jimmy Greaves to Tottenham. Yet it is fair to say he matches none of them in profile or prestige. Stamford Bridge veterans and anyone else who saw Tambling play for Chelsea during an 11-year spell up to 1970 may disagree with that assessment, but the truth remains that until Lampard began to home in on his record, relatively few people had heard of the man who scored 202 goals in 370 appearances for the club.

Tambling joined Chelsea from Havant Town aged 15 and made his first-team debut two years later, scoring the winner in a 3-2 victory over West Ham in February 1959. It was an eye-catching introduction, particularly as Tambling was operating out wide and did not get to play in attack until Greaves left Chelsea for Milan in 1961.

The youngster from Sussex had big boots to fill but took to the task with gusto, scoring 22 goals during the 1961-62 season and another 37 the following campaign, when he was captain of a team that achieved instant promotion back to the First Division.

The goals continued to flow for Tambling during a heady era for Chelsea in which they became one of the most attractive teams in the country under the management of Tommy Docherty. He scored five in a 6-2 win against Aston Villa during the 1966-67 season as well as a consolation strike in the 1967 FA Cup final defeat to Tottenham. But for all his goals Tambling won only one trophy with Chelsea, the 1965 League Cup, and he eventually left the club in 1970 to join Crystal Palace.

A slip down the Stamford Bridge pecking order led to Tambling's departure, but he could well have left Chelsea for very different reasons. "For some while I have been interested in the Jehovah's Witnesses movement through my wife, Kath," revealed Tambling in September 1969. "In the last month or so it has taken me more deeply."

The striker stuck with football, however, and following a three-year spell at Palace he moved to Ireland, playing for Cork Celtic, Waterford, Shamrock Rovers and Cork Alberts before retiring in 1979. He went on to manage Cork City and lives in the area to this day.

It is a case of gone and rather forgotten as far as Tambling's time at Chelsea is concerned. There is a suite at Stamford Bridge named after him but his contribution is not one that reverberates in the manner of other legendary strikers. In a poll conducted by Chelsea's official magazine last year to find the Blues' 100 greatest players, Tambling came only 13th, three places behind Greaves and eight behind Peter Osgood.

Contributing to a blog entitled "Searching for Bobby Tambling", Ken Shellito, a former team-mate of the player, explained why he felt Chelsea's one-time captain is not regarded as highly among the Stamford Bridge faithful as Osgood and Greaves. "Bob was a player's player while people like Ossie and Jimmy were individualists," said Shellito. "They were great players and they got the headlines. But Bob was not a glory man. He just enjoyed his football and got a lot of goals."

His tally of 202 is a contribution that Lampard, for one, appreciates. The veteran midfielder's drive to appear on the scoresheet has not diminished, as he explained. "When you're older you're a bit tired so you can sit back and relax," he said. "I enjoy seeing how things develop and the good thing about arriving late in the box with the players we've got, you believe they're going to put it where you want it."

Lampard will almost certainly match Tambling's record, and probably overtake it, before his scheduled departure from Stamford Bridge at the end of the season. It has been a chase which has done both men good and now aged 71 and suffering from failing health, Tambling can take some comfort from having now got some of the wider recognition he deserves.

"He's a great man who has always been very supportive of me," said Lampard. "If there was ever a man I'd love to be level with, it's Bobby."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

bullpost wrote: »
    I think it has - we don't have many leaders and you do need them. They have been through the dogfights before and know what it takes to come out on top. Thats why we need to sign Frankie for at least another season.

I don't think Terry & Lampard have much more influence on our recent form than any other player, I actually think we're better off without Lamps in midfield, the difference it makes to the team when its Mikel & Ramirers is huge.

Terry has also looked rusty when he's played although thats understandable having been out for a while.

I think some credit has to be given to Benitez, people are quick enough to blame him for the defeats so he should be praised for the wins.

He made two crucial substitutions against United which turned the game completely and people still said he deserved no credit.

Nobody has to love to the man but they should at least acknowledge when he's doing good.

• Advertisement

Techless wrote: »
    Want to plan another trip. Is the Sunderland game definitely set for the Saturday thr 6 th .?.

The Sunderland game has been put back a day (7th) due to our involvment in the EL.

I'd say there will be a lot of Chelsea fans being messed about with all the fixture changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Caveman1 wrote: »
    The Sunderland game has been put back a day (7th) due to our involvment in the EL.

I'd say there will be a lot of Chelsea fans being messed about with all the fixture changes.

Afraid that would happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Any more rumours flying about?

Cech to Arsenal
    Cavani to us or city
    Williams (Swansea CB) to Chelsea

Nothing very trust worthy though, but you never know, a good solid CB would be brilliant, is Williams the answer though?

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Cech to Arsenal
    Cavani to us or city

Nothing very trust worthy though, but you never know, a good solid CB would be brilliant, is Williams the answer though?

I'm not so sure we're in desperate need for a CB, when Wallaca arrives himself and Azpi will be competing for the RB position. So we'll have Iva, Terry, Cahill & Luiz. Not to mention the likes of Bruma, Ake, Omeruo & Kalas coming through.

I honestly think with the amount of players we have out on loan all we really need is one more striker. I would much rather we used what we already have rather than going out and spending crazy money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I don't think Terry & Lampard have much more influence on our recent form than any other player, I actually think we're better off without Lamps in midfield, the difference it makes to the team when its Mikel & Ramirers is huge.

I disagree. Lampard is good on the ball, will get goals and has an eye for a pass. That gilt-edged 1v1 that Demba Ba had...the one he sidefooted 10 yards wide....that was lampards through ball. You don't get that from Mikel.

Infact, in my opinion you don't get anything from him. He is too slow to be an effective destroyer, gets caught out of position alot and is dreadful with the ball at his feet.

Ramires/Lampard is a much better two-some. One can sit while the other bombs forward and Ramires certainly has the energy to do it. Mikel would be nowhere near my team.

I'm not so sure we're in desperate need for a CB, when Wallaca arrives himself and Azpi will be competing for the RB position. So we'll have Iva, Terry, Cahill & Luiz. Not to mention the likes of Bruma, Ake, Omeruo & Kalas coming through.

I honestly think with the amount of players we have out on loan all we really need is one more striker. I would much rather we used what we already have rather than going out and spending crazy money.

I'd be happy to see Ivan sold, he just aint good enough, he has the heart and desire but lacks ability when it really matters.

If it means selling Ivan to allow Kalas/Ake/Bruma more game time then I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Not unless you think Luiz should be kept on at CB over Cahill, methinks.

To explain - much of our strength down the years has been John Terry's distribution out of the CB position - he's seriously underrated at that, and this is one area where we have suffered in his absence. Luiz has that ability to play the ball out of defense, but is more prone to mental errors - the fact that Ashley Cole clearly doesn't trust him, and often tries to do his job when Luiz is on the left side of the central defense, makes this worse.

Cahill is a good, solid CB but he doesn't have the same distribution that John Terry has. Ashley Williams is better on the ball, but not massively so. So we either accept that we don't have that quality distribution in our first-team central defensive partnership - which I think we'd be made to do - or Luiz stays as a first choice CB.

My own view is that Luiz is best deployed as a DCM, where his abilities can have a major impact and the mental errors are less damaging. This makes a ball-playing centre back the long-term priority, assuming that we're not counting on Terry next year. I may be wrong (anyone who's watched a lot of Swansea feel free to contradict), but I'm not convinced that Ashley Williams has that ability to pick out a long pass and deliver it. He'd be a decent addition, but not the best candidate for a starting berth IMO.

I also think Williams is close enough to 30 so maybe the best option lies in bleeding in one of our many talented youngsters, it wont happen but it would be good to see.

I also think Williams is close enough to 30 so maybe the best option lies in bleeding in one of our many talented youngsters, it wont happen but it would be good to see.

It would be good to see, alright, and I reckon we can still count on Terry for a half-season - so giving a younger player plenty of game time without throwing him in at the deep end. One can live in hope.

Kirby wrote: »
    I disagree. Lampard is good on the ball, will get goals and has an eye for a pass. That gilt-edged 1v1 that Demba Ba had...the one he sidefooted 10 yards wide....that was lampards through ball. You don't get that from Mikel.

Infact, in my opinion you don't get anything from him. He is too slow to be an effective destroyer, gets caught out of position alot and is dreadful with the ball at his feet.

Ramires/Lampard is a much better two-some. One can sit while the other bombs forward and Ramires certainly has the energy to do it. Mikel would be nowhere near my team.

Mikel does not get nearly enough credit for the work he does in midfield, I think it even shows in Ramires game when he plays alongside him, he bombs forward at every opportunity, when he plays alonside Lamps it's like he's hesitant to go forward incase we're caught out.

Lampard is a legend and all that but IMO he's only a squad player now.

geeky wrote: »
    It would be good to see, alright, and I reckon we can still count on Terry for a half-season - so giving a younger player plenty of game time without throwing him in at the deep end. One can live in hope.

Well that makes eprfect sense, also seeing as JT hasnt long left on his contract he mightnt be around much longer but sense and Chelsea FC rarely go hand in hand these days. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Mikel does not get nearly enough credit for the work he does in midfield, I think it even shows in Ramires game when he plays alongside him, he bombs forward at every opportunity, when he plays alonside Lamps it's like he's hesitant to go forward incase we're caught out.

Lampard is a legend and all that but IMO he's only a squad player now.

That "squad player" has played rather well this season don't you think? Even when he has been in and out of the team so often.

And I just don't rate Mikel at all. People still highlight Romeu's blunder for the the Giggs goal but I think he is a much better prospect and would have played alot more had he not gotten injured.

That "squad player" has played rather well this season don't you think? Even when he has been in and out of the team so often.

And I just don't rate Mikel at all. People still highlight Romeu's blunder for the the Giggs goal but I think he is a much better prospect and would have played alot more had he not gotten injured.

Agreed that Romeu would have played more, it would also have left Luiz at CB, so in a way I'm glad Luiz got game time there but felt sorry for Romeu as he was putting in decent performances and once hes back next year he'll be competiting for a starting XI spot.

I never said he hasn't being playing well, I just don't think when everyone is fit that he'll start nearly as many games, with Romeu out & Mikel at the ACON he got a good run of games and done well enough scoring some good goals but personally I would pick a CM pairing of Mikel & Ramires all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I couldn't help but laugh at this...

3441_503532193017634_2011380396_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Congrats to Patrick Bamford 90mins and a first senior goal for MK Dons but lost 2-1 at Crewe Alex in League One.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I really don't like the Ramires/Lampard midfield. Ramires is at his best bombing on and generally just getting around the pitch and breaking up play, he really doesn't seem to have the discipline to just sit and I'm even less convinced about his ability to receive the ball from the backline and start attacks. Lampard also appears entirely unwilling to sit and again I'm not sold on his ability to collect the ball from the back, worse still he hasn't the legs to break up play. When they play together the amount of space they leave in front of the backline is pretty substantial.

Mikel, while he does have his flaws, will absolutely sit there, shuffle sideways and generally protect the back four and provide a real physical presence in the midfield. His passing is rarely adventurous but it does give the team a base to build from. His role is a vital one and I think he performs it very well. Certainly he is a very more accomplished and polished holding midfielder than Lampard or Ramires.

It's a shame Romeu got injured when he did. Rafa seemed to rate him and he was hitting some good form when the injury struck. In terms of defensive discipline, ability on the ball, positioning and potential I'd say he is the best bet in the squad for the holding midfield role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

It's a shame Romeu got injured when he did. Rafa seemed to rate him and he was hitting some good form when the injury struck. In terms of defensive discipline, ability on the ball, positioning and potential I'd say he is the best bet in the squad for the holding midfield role.

I couldn't agree with that now, I thought he showed glimpses of talent but didn't seem to have the head for it imo. Mikel is our best there by quite a long way I think.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/terry-frank-best-ever-chelsea-player-225999.html
    Lampard scored his 200th Chelsea goal in Sunday’s Premier League defeat of West Ham to move to within two goals of Bobby Tambling’s club record.

Terry said: “You talk about the Gianfranco Zolas and the best players to have played at the club, but for me he (Lampard) is the best. We all love him, we’ll all be pushing for him to reach the record.”

Only Manchester United’s Ryan Giggs compares to Lampard in the Premier League era, according to Terry.

The Blues skipper added: “You can only single out two players to play consistently well and to score goals over the course of the last 10-15 years and that is him and Ryan Giggs.

“It’s incredible, to see the number of goals he’s scored at such a high level as well — Champions League goals, Premier League goals and the hunger. He is an example to all the players here.”

The future of Lampard, who is 35 this summer, is uncertain, with his current contract scheduled to expire at the end of the season following 12 years at Stamford Bridge.

“It’s incredible, season after season to do what he’s done,” Terry added. “Let’s all hope he goes on and beats the record.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9941722/Rafael-Benitez-may-be-ready-to-enjoy-the-last-laugh-at-Chelsea-having-finally-muted-his-vocal-terrace-critics.html
    With 10 weeks remaining in the season he has them in form, favoured to finish in the top three, and capable of snaffling a trophy from this transitional season despite a monstrous schedule.

Chelsea players departed for the international break after their best week of the Benitez era. Two-goals down at Old Trafford in the FA Cup 10 days ago they rallied to earn a replay. Four days later they over-turned a one-goal deficit against Steaua Bucharest to reach the Europa League quarter-finals, and on Sunday West Ham were dismissed with a performance of poise and panache.

Not bad for a man whose future was judged to be in the balance after he had the temerity to speak his mind at a now-notorious press conference three weeks ago. That night at Middlesbrough he made the entirely reasonable point that endless abuse aimed at him might be damaging to the team. Far better, he suggested, to ignore him, not least because he would be off at the end of the season, and get behind the team.

And here's a thing. He was right. Far from earning him the sack it appears to have drawn the poison from the stands and ushered in Chelsea’s best form of his brief tenure.

While there were a few howls of protest at the next home game against West Bromwich Albion, ever since half-time at Old Trafford there has not been a peep of protest from the fans who made a sport of baiting Benitez. No boos, no Anglo-Saxon urgings to leave, no banners or P45s that look like they were knocked up in a Kings Road craft club.

Instead the team have performed to the sound of whole-hearted support, while for Benitez there has been a golden silence. Even the risible militant wing have gone quiet.

The turning point for Benitez, and perhaps Chelsea’s season, came at United. Five minutes into the second half he made a double substitution, replacing Frank Lampard and Victor Moses with Eden Hazard and Jon Obi Mikel. The 5,000 or so travelling fans who had abused Benitez in the first half gave an instant verdict. “You don’t know what you’re doing” they howled. Nine minutes later Hazard scored. It turned out he did.

This was not the first time Benitez’s changes had made a difference. Both legs of the Europa League tie against Sparta Prague turned on late goals by his substitutes. But it was the most eloquent statement of his influence from the dugout.

Since then the truce has held. On Sunday even the regular 16th-minute chant in praise of Roberto Di Matteo was largely forgotten, coinciding as it did with John Terry’s encounter with West Ham fans and Chelsea’s scramble for the opening goal.

Benitez is not in a position to gloat but he will be delighted at this transformation. We knew he had a thick-skin, a point emphasised as he has watched games without a coat throughout the cold snap, even in Prague. But even his harshest critics have to respect his fortitude under sustained attack.

Winning the battle with the fans is the most obvious outward sign of Benitez’s progress at Stamford Bridge. Just as important, he appears to be winning the internal war too.

There are many theories for what caused the Riverside ‘rant’. A personal view is that it was prompted by press reports of a training ground row with Terry and other senior players. The story appeared the day before the Middlesbrough game, and was interpreted by Benitez as an attempt to undermine his authority.

Since returning from injury Terry has been third-choice centre-half, with Benitez doubtful about his match-fitness and ability to perform against the best opposition. Other managers might have buckled under internal pressure but Benitez has not. Terry has continued to miss big weekend games, remaining captain of the midweek dirt-trackers, and in his public comments has accepted he will have to win back his place.

The international break may allow Benitez to re-set the rotation clock, and with six games in 16 days Terry will play a prominent part in the end to Chelsea’s season. He and Fernando Torres, training together at Cobham for a fortnight while their colleagues represent their countries, will certainly have time to think about it. But the nascent rebellion appears to have been nipped in the bud.

Of course nothing is permanent at Chelsea, least of all the manager. The current sweetness and light may turn sour with one poor result. But for now, Benitez looks like he is enjoying the last laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Hi guys I mentioned last week that wife wants to get me 2 tickets for the Everton game which is last of the season. I just want to get opinions on wether it will be handy enough to actually get tickets as she would like to book the flights now because they are cheap. No point in flying over without tickets obviously.

Cheers.

weiland79 wrote: »
    Hi guys I mentioned last week that wife wants to get me 2 tickets for the Everton game which is last of the season. I just want to get opinions on wether it will be handy enough to actually get tickets as she would like to book the flights now because they are cheap. No point in flying over without tickets obviously.

Cheers.

It's a tough one to gauge interest in, but against Everton, a good side, last game of the season I'd expect it to sell out but I'd still expect some tickets to make it to general sale.

It might cost ya a bit more on the flights to hold off until you have tickets but that's what I would do in this instance.

weiland79 wrote: »

Cheers.

there is a great twitter account for getting tickets but i think people only sell spares https://twitter.com/ChelseaTicket

there is also the http://www.viagogo.co.uk/chelseafc which can be very expensive

• Advertisement

Correct, that Twitter page only RT's when there is spares available, they dont RT ticket requests.

You could still pick up something on it though if that was a last resort really.

Talk of Sanchez leaving Barca in the summer, would have been a good option last year before we bought Marin, Moses, Oscar, Hazard. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Good article, but it'll only take one loss and Benitez will be back under the same pressure he was.. I wouldnt be saying he was won ''the battle'' with fans yet..

Lets hope he does though, cos that'l mean we are winning!

Good article, but it'll only take one loss and Benitez will be back under the same pressure he was.. I wouldnt be saying he was won ''the battle'' with fans yet..

Lets hope he does though, cos that'l mean we are winning!

Yup, as long as we're winning the fans will be onside to some degree.

As ya said it could all come crumbling down if we lose a game or two.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It'll only take an equaliser or a goal down at halftime, never mind a defeat:pac:

dfx- wrote: »
    It'll only take an equaliser or a goal down at halftime, never mind a defeat:pac:

True ha!

Can any of ye see Torres getting back in the Spain squad for the 2014 World Cup?

• Advertisement

True ha!

Can any of ye see Torres getting back in the Spain squad for the 2014 World Cup?

Depends what next year holds, he could easily want to leave if he isnt guarnteed to start for us, I reckon he'll make the squad alright but it depends on his goal return and overall play.

With the 2014 WC in sight it could easily spur him on, hes been dropped from a few Spanish squads so he may have a point to prove and if he came back fighting for us I'd keep him.

He's on track to score 20 goals this season with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

This is good to see for Oriol

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/03/20/chelsea-forgotten-man-oriol-romeu-returns-to-light-training/?

That being the case he should be able to get in a full pre season and be able to challenge for a place again. I do hope he is able to come back with no hangovers from the injury.

Depends what next year holds, he could easily want to leave if he isnt guarnteed to start for us, I reckon he'll make the squad alright but it depends on his goal return and overall play.

With the 2014 WC in sight it could easily spur him on, hes been dropped from a few Spanish squads so he may have a point to prove and if he came back fighting for us I'd keep him.

He's on track to score 20 goals this season with us.

Hes more than likely gona get 20 goals for us this season.. worry for him is that it doesnt look like thats going to be enough anymore to get him in the squad..

Good point about him being spurred on by it though, if he stays with us, thats what we need

http://www.turkish-football.com/news_read.php?id=4346

Chelsea have made an offer for 15-year-old Bursaspor youth player Enes Ünal according to the clubs Head of Youth Development Necmettin Kocaman.

"There have been a number of offers for our youth team players," said Kocaman.

"Chelsea have made an offer for Enes however, we hope he will play for our senior team before making such a move."

The Blues are reported to have made an offer in the region of €2 million for the Bursaspor starlet.

The young striker has scored 170 goals in 102 games in the Coca Cola Academy League and has also represented the Turkish national team at U16 and U17 level.

Enes has scored 15 goals in 15 international games and is expected to represent Turkey in the 2013 Fifa U-20 World Cup.

Bursaspor have yet to agree a professional contract with Enes however, manager Hikmet Karaman has been trying to push through a deal and promote him to the senior side.

Manchester United, Inter and Borussia Mönchengladbach are also reported to be scouting the young prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I hate these international breaks - we had some momentum there , I hope its still with us when the EPL kicks back ..

• Advertisement

Southampton away once we're back, a very sticky place to go, they'll be looking for a few more wins to make sure they're safe, a win there would be brilliant going into the Utd FA cup game.

Anybody surprised that poyet is talking to reading at this stage of the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

peteeeed wrote: »
    Anybody surprised that poyet is talking to reading at this stage of the season?
    Nope, translated into a very good manager from a legend of a player. Won div one with Brighton on his first season in charge if I'm not mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Just read that this day 1977 Peter "Auntie" Houseman tragically died in a car crash with his wife and two kids. Those of us of a certain age will remember him very fondly RIP.

duploelabs wrote: »
    Nope, translated into a very good manager from a legend of a player. Won div one with Brighton on his first season in charge if I'm not mistaken

was thinking more that he should wait till the end of the season for a clean slate with a club, reading could go down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

was thinking more that he should wait till the end of the season for a clean slate with a club, reading could go down
    II think it's win/win. They go down and he gets a chance to shape the squad how he wants with a nice parachute payment, he keeps them up and he's a hero (with a tasty bonus I'm sure too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Just read that this day 1977 Peter "Auntie" Houseman tragically died in a car crash with his wife and two kids. Those of us of a certain age will remember him very fondly RIP.

I actually met Peter Houseman when I was a nipper. I was standing on the sidelines of a local footie match with my dad watching a couple of junior teams play. This woud have been in Slough in the '70s.

Dad got talking to the man next to him, who said his son was playing. Cue my dad saying to him "Do you play yourself?" Err...a bit.

When dad said "Do you know who this is? This is Peter Houseman and he plays for Chelsea", I just smiled sheepishly at him and was too awestruck to say anything. In fairness, I was about eight at the time. Dad explained I was a Chelsea fan and Houseman smiled and scribbled out an autograph on a piece of paper from his pocket, unasked. Which I've since lost. :(

Dad and Houseman chatted away and i just stood there like a mute loon with a silly grin on my face. I was chillin' with Peter feckin' Houseman and was now officially the coolest kid on the planet.

I remember hearing about his death and, although it doesn't appear anywhere I can find online - he is mentioned simply as having been 'killed in a three-car crash on the A40 outside Oxford.' - the talk at the time was that his car was hit by a drunk minor aristo pelting along at 100mph+ in a sports car. It was said that it flipped Houseman's car onto its roof. The accident killed him, his wife and two friends and left two orphans, for which Chelsea had a fundraising match which got 17,000 people in attendance.

Houseman never got the plaudits that the likes of Osgood, Cooke or Hutchinson got, but he was a fine player and from my briefest of meetings with him, a nice, down-to-earth guy.

YA YA Toure anyone?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4852259/Chelsea-and-Real-Madrid-in-22m-hunt-for-Citys-Yaya-Toure.html

Chelsea lead Yaya chase
    ... and Real want him too
    By MARK IRWIN and ANTONY KASTRINAKIS
    Last Updated: 21st March 2013

CHELSEA and Real Madrid are leading the chase to land £22million Manchester City star Yaya Toure.
    Furious Toure has told City he will buy out his contract and leave this summer unless they hand him a new deal by Saturday.
    And his ultimatum has alerted Europe’s top clubs including struggling Chelsea, who see the powerful Ivorian as the perfect replacement for Frank Lampard.
    Toure, 29, still has two years of his £220,000-a-week deal to run and will have to stump up £22m to buy his way out of City.
    Chelsea will hand him that in a signing-on fee if it means they do not have to pay a transfer fee for a player who cost City £25m from Barcelona three years ago.
    But they face stiff competition from Real Madrid, whose boss Jose Mourinho is a huge fan of Toure.
    A top Madrid source confirmed: “Jose loves Yaya and has wanted to sign him for years.”
    Under FIFA rules, players over the age of 28 are allowed to buy out their contracts if they have not been offered a new deal after three years at a club.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4852259/Chelsea-and-Real-Madrid-in-22m-hunt-for-Citys-Yaya-Toure.html#ixzz2OA3X0puY

and the usual thursday and we're bored 'falcao to chelsea' story from the express

Chelsea hold secret meeting with Atletico Madrid over move for Radamel Falcao

CHELSEA are inching closer to signing Radamel Falcao in the summer.

By: Charles Perrin
    Radamel Falcao is inching closer to Chelsea

The Atletico Madrid hit man has been tearing apart La Liga defences this season and is one of the most feared strikers in Europe.

The Blues are long-term admirers of Falcao, and the transfer saga has been very intriguing.

And the talk of a potential move was ratcheted a notch or two at the weekend.

Spanish TV station Punto Pelota claims a secret meeting between Atletico Madrid and Chelsea took place on Sunday to discuss a proposed move for Falcao.

Roman Abramovich is a big fan of Radamel Falcao

The talk of a potential move was ratcheted a notch or two at the weekend
    They suggest that Falcao will go to Chelsea in the summer and that the Blues will pay about £5m more to secure his signature.

Chelsea are also trying to scare off interest for Thibaut Courtois by slapping a £17m price tag on him.

Falcao is third in the La Liga goalscoring charts with 21 goals to his name.

YA YA Toure anyone?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4852259/Chelsea-and-Real-Madrid-in-22m-hunt-for-Citys-Yaya-Toure.html

Chelsea lead Yaya chase
    ... and Real want him too
    By MARK IRWIN and ANTONY KASTRINAKIS
    Last Updated: 21st March 2013

CHELSEA and Real Madrid are leading the chase to land £22million Manchester City star Yaya Toure.
    Furious Toure has told City he will buy out his contract and leave this summer unless they hand him a new deal by Saturday.
    And his ultimatum has alerted Europe’s top clubs including struggling Chelsea, who see the powerful Ivorian as the perfect replacement for Frank Lampard.
    Toure, 29, still has two years of his £220,000-a-week deal to run and will have to stump up £22m to buy his way out of City.
    Chelsea will hand him that in a signing-on fee if it means they do not have to pay a transfer fee for a player who cost City £25m from Barcelona three years ago.
    But they face stiff competition from Real Madrid, whose boss Jose Mourinho is a huge fan of Toure.
    A top Madrid source confirmed: “Jose loves Yaya and has wanted to sign him for years.”
    Under FIFA rules, players over the age of 28 are allowed to buy out their contracts if they have not been offered a new deal after three years at a club.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4852259/Chelsea-and-Real-Madrid-in-22m-hunt-for-Citys-Yaya-Toure.html#ixzz2OA3X0puY

Great player but difficult to manage, not many years left on him, and has apparently decided he doesn't want to play DCM anymore. No thanks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement